Start by marking “Under My Skin” as Want to Read:
Under My Skin

Under My Skin

Inside we are all monsters…

Chloe was once a normal girl. Until the night of the car crash that nearly claimed her life. Now Chloe’s mother is dead, her father is a shell of the man he used to be and the secrets that had so carefully kept their family together are falling apart.

A new start is all Chloe and her father can hope for, but when you think you’re no longer human h
Kindle Edition
Published March 31st 2015 by Carina UK

To ask other readers questions about Under My Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under My Skin

Carrie
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: publisher-arc
Chloe was once a normal girl with a normal family until the night of a horrific crash that claimed Chloe's mother's life and almost her own. Chloe's father is a scientist and with the help of his experimenting he has managed to keep Chloe alive but the two have to go into hiding while her father works out his cure.

Under My Skin got off to a bit of a slow start for me as you jump right into the story of Chloe and her father moving to hide but you don't really know yet what or why it's happened.
Liz Barnsley
A brilliant story this - addictive,dark, compelling and very clever, I read it fast one of those books that hooks you in and won't let go.

Chloe is a normal teenager when it comes to feelings,emotions and your usual coming of age growing pains but underneath she is anything but normal. The survivor of a horrific car accident, medical science, or more to the point her mad scientist Father, kept her alive. In Chloe's case though the term "alive" is relative...

This is an intelligent re-imagining of
Jack
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
‘Inside we are all monsters …’ is the tagline of Zoë Markham’s debut novel, Under My Skin. But as the superb opening chapters leak tiny morsels of information, we see that it’s what’s on the outside that is forcing seventeen-year-old Chloe to cower in her new house, the heaters on full, the blinds tightly shut.

Under My Skin is a loose re-imagining of Frankenstein. Markham has taken the classic story – itself a groundbreaking tale of scientific caution – and reworked it into a contemporary young-
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
Unfortunately, I found this read to be a tough one. Slow moving and at times it felt like it was just all over the place. It did pick up halfway through the book but this just wasn't meant for me.

{I received an eARC via Xpresso Book Tours. I made no guarantee of a favorable review and the opinions expressed here are unbiased and my own.}

Frannie Pan
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Chloe feels like she shouldn't exist; she's an abomination, a freak of nature. After the accident, her dad had to do some experimentation on her to bring her back to life. He's a scientist that used to work for a secret government organization on a project regarding an undead army; now he broke the rules and they're on the run.
Chloe has to stay hidden while her dad works on finding how to synthesize three compounds for a daily vaccine she has to inject to stay alive. But what is the point in bei
Heather Duff
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one afternoon, I was glued to it. It was an amazing read.

It starts off with Chloe and her father leaving their old house in the middle of the night, furtively heading for a new life. You get the feeling they are running from something, running for their lives.

As her father drives, Chloe is covered with a blanket in the back, you get the impression she is ill, she seems cold, something is just not right with her.

As they hurriedly arrive at their new house (their new life too i
Sophie
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it

4.5

Posted in full http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2015...

Under My Skin is a book I’d had my eye on for a while – it sounded super intriguing and unlike anything I normally read. I’m excited to say that this book lived up to my every expectation. I was engrossed, too engrossed to put this book down or to speak to anybody or move or even breathe. The story is all-consuming and fascinating and heart-wrenching. So good. Chloe would love nothing more than to be your average teenage girl. She feels
Angie
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted @ http://readaholiczone.blogspot.com/20...

WARNING after you pick up this book and begin reading an unknown entity will not allow you to put the book down until the task is fully completed. If you finish the book unscathed as I have, you will be astounded by how much fun an experience you just had. Beware to all who do not read horror Do Not Run from this book it is not truly grotesque horror - more like old school sci-fi. Yes, the plot is unusual and bizarre yet also a b
Review: Under My Skin by Zoe Markham Publication Date: 31st May 2015

Publisher: Carina

ASIN: B00TOR142I

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:
Inside we are all monsters…

A new start is all Chloe and her father can hope for, but when you think you’re
Kari (BookandCoffeeLover)
I received a copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.
This was a great modern retelling of Frankenstein that details the life of one brought back from the dead. Normal teenage experiences/dramas are magnified by 10 for poor Chloe as she struggles with keeping her secret and reconciling the truth of what she has become. Under My Skin was a thrilling edge of your seat page turner that I definitely recommend!
Fi
Full review to come but for now? Read this book! If you're at all a fan of anything YA, Gothic and/or Frankenstein then you will love the story of Chloe. Started reading this at 12.15am and didn't put it down until I was finished.
Nia Ireland
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a fresh take on Frankenstein, if the monster had been a 21st century teenage girl.

Chloe is a brilliant main character, she's kind, compassionate and clever but not annoyingly so - she's having to start her life again and in hiding after almost dying in a car crash, she has to struggle between the dangers that await her outside her house and the crippling loneliness of total isolation. Above all, she's a teenager so she has to deal with all the usual frustrations and insecurities, as
Tom
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What does it mean to be alive?

Markham's Under My Skin is a retelling in its own way of Frankenstein. It is a psychological piece with lashings of science fiction, which makes you question what does it mean to be alive. And by alive I don't just mean breathing, I mean feeling the sun on your face without fear of recrimination, to not be in isolation, a prison of both body and mind.

If you enjoyed white lies, then you will love under my skin.
Markham at her finest, 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
czai
this review is originally posted at: the Blacksheep Project. I received this book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.

I have no idea how to talk about the greatness of this book. I think that my words won't give it justice but I'll try. I'll try to tell you why it's so good.

{ 5 Reasons Why You MUST Read Under My Skin }

There's a life changing accident.
Don't we all find it interesting when there's a life changing event? Believe me, I was intrigued by the blurb itself. A car cr
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is such an amazing read, not only is it an original twist on a well known and loved genre but it explores the harrowing emotions of loss, heartbreak, pain, suffocation, restriction, control, trust and love.

Zoe Markham has brought an historic classic to life injecting it with everyday surroundings, real relationships, trust issues, isolation and pushed it bang smack in our line of sight with a bright yellow book cover and a cracking font that jumps away from the page. I do love a good
Jenny in Neverland
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, ya, thriller
I’ve literally just finished this book minutes ago and I just had to get the thoughts out of my head and into my review about it while they’re still coherent. I’m thrilled to be reviewing this book as part of the tour that I’m also thrilled to be organising for Zoe. Under My Skin is a modern reworking of the old horror story, Frankenstein. Our “monster” is teenage Chloe who’s dad brought her back from a tragic accident that killed both her and her mother. However, Chloe isn’t who or what she use ...more
Wendy
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Take an ordinary teenager. Irritable. Moody. Anxious. Thinking about lads and the general trivialities of life, and yet, one teenager has less in common with others her age. Chloe is a unique individual, one the government would kill to their hands on.

Meet Chloe Jones, a.k.a. Chloe Gardner, who, with not only a change of identity, resembles someone else entirely, from what seems to be another lifetime ago.

Following a fatal car accident in which her mother perished, Chloe and her scientist father
Maia Moore
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Original review posted here

* I have been given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *

I read and enjoyed White Lies by Zoe Markham earlier this year so was really excited when she offered me this review copy. I’m a big horror fan and couldn’t wait to get stuck in.

Under My Skin is like a modern version of Frankenstein, which I have to admit, I haven’t read, but I know the story generally (who doesn’t?!) It’s quite a slow burner and not really the make you jump or afraid to sleep at
Lisa Bentley
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
Under My Skin is the story of Chloe, a seventeen year old with a secret. She is different from other girls her age and it is this difference that means that she lives hidden in the shadows of a regular life. She doesn’t go to school, have a boyfriend or heck even have any friends. She lives under the rules and guidance of her overprotective scientist of a father.

Finally, after months of living a cloak and dagger life Chloe convinces her father to allow her to go back to school. However, when thi
Michelle (Bookaholic Banter)
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It was unlike anything I have ever read. It was creative, fascinating, enticingly strange and weird and quite interesting. It held my attention, kept me reading and I couldn't put it down. One of the best things about this book? Chloe is a book lover! Yes! There is nothing better than reading about a character who loves books as much as I do. This instantly makes me connect with the character. Smart writing!

The writing flows effortlessly. Crafty and clever writing that keeps
Powered  by Reading
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Chloe Gardner is like any other teenager. She worries about her appearance, she gets bored, she’s crazy about a boy, and she has to deal with the ‘mean girls’ at school. There’s just one thing that makes Chloe different from other girls: she died in an accident and her father brought her back to life…Zoë Markham’s contemporary take on Frankenstein is well-paced, unfolding fairly slowly, gradually introducing the circumstances that led to Chloe’s new existence as one of the undead, before bringin ...more
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adult & Horror Fans
I’m a huge fan of this genre. I love dark, horror and paranormal novels and was intrigued to see how Zoë Markham had reworked one of my favourite classics for a modern young adult audience and I wasn’t disappointed. She has produced an absolute gem that you don’t have to be a young adult to enjoy!

Chloe is such a personable character, telling her story from the first person perspective it is like getting a sneak peek into her diary at times. Whilst she deals with life after death, constant pain,
Amanda
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book may be a YA novel but i loved it .This book it very dark emotional clever and a very compelling read
This story told from chloe's point of view the tension builds up very slowly as you read it will just hook you your be on edge of your seat it builds up to a brilliant end so very clever you will love it
This is chloe's journey
What a brilliant complex character she was you will feel for her she like most teenagers she was so stroppy at times she did not get on with her father at times
Jo
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I came to this story with no pre-conceptions and no expectations. The blurb was intriguing. The author was new to me. I thought I'd give it a go.

I'm glad I did.

From the Prologue to the final paragraph, the author succeeded in exploring the insecurities and hangups which are prevalent in most teenagers' lives. Over protective parent? Check. Body image issues? Check. Difficulty making friends at a new school? Also check.

But this story is so much more than that.

This is a tale, which, despite Chloe
Melissa Burcham
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
I was asked for an honest review free of persuasion from the author or anyone else affiliated with this book.

CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS

Wow what a book! I didn't read the synopsis or anything else related to the book prior to picking it up. In the beginning I was a little confused as to what was going on and what was wrong with the main character. Once I knew the book really hooked me in and the pages turned quickly. I could feel for the main character. I could understand her loneliness and desire to
Julia  Yeates
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that YA is not a genre that has ever interested me but I am acquainted with the author and I was obviously going to support her by reading her novel.

I'm so glad that I did because I really enjoyed Under My Skin.

Zoe develops her main character, Chloe, really well, from a broken girl to a young woman who is strong and self-reliant and perfectly capable of fighting when she's cornered. Go Chlo!

And the other characters were so realistic and well fleshed-out.
I wasn't always taken-in b
Nina Rossing
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, young-adult
I had no idea what kind of novel this was when I started reading. Contemporary? Sci-Fi? Dystopia? Fantasy? The blurb really didn't give away much, and that was intriguing enough to lure me into the story.
I'm not going to spoil anything for readers who head into this book the same way as me, so I'll leave it to this: it was a well-written story with some unexpected twists, though it also fell into a few overdone directions with the plot, and at least two characters were too obvious in their sinis
Andrea Myers
Another Young Adult novel that I feel could have been fleshed out considerably. I know I complain a lot about this and it’s just because I have read so many that get it right. Under my Skin just left me wanting for something more. The concept was good and jeebus do I love Monsters and have been on the lookout for modern day takes on classic old creepers but I’ll admit I was bored through most of this book. The teenage angst and emotional turmoil was indeed well written and masterfully expressed ...more
Martin Turnall
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
consider my mind blown.
Beautiful.
Olivia
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful read for anyone with the patience and imagination to invest themselves in something special. One you won't forget easy.