Start by marking “Betrayals (Cainsville, #4)” as Want to Read:
Betrayals (Cainsville, #4)

Betrayals

(Cainsville #4)

When Olivia's life exploded--after she found out she was not the adopted child of a privileged Chicago family but of a notorious pair of convicted serial killers--she found a refuge in the secluded but oddly welcoming town of Cainsville, Illinois. Working with Gabriel Walsh, a fiendishly successful criminal lawyer with links to the town, she discovered the truth about her ...more
Published August 9th 2016 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about Betrayals, please sign up.

Start your review of Betrayals (Cainsville, #4)
Lila
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it

3,5 stars

If you don't like love triangles in your book in general, then I have bad news for you: it's still a predominate theme and I don't think you would enjoy it. But, if you didn't like the way this particular love triangle was written so far in series, I find Betrayals to be much better book than previous was, simply because KA took everything I had problem with concerning the triangle and tried to handle it with more or less success:

1) first thing that left me disappointed in previous book
Rebekah
TEAM GABRIEL!!!!
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Sep 10, 2015 marked it as books-i-own-but-haven-t-read-yet
Shelves: fae, urban-fantasy
Finally starting this. I really hope it's better than Deceptions, b/c the love triangle of DOOM just about did me in.

But Armstrong is Armstrong, so I have faith that she can recover . . .

description
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

BETRAYALS reads like a paranormal thriller which is a genre that Kelley Armstrong does well. However, this caused the Mallt-y-Nos retelling to go somewhat by the wayside, not a horrible digression given the awful love triangle that developed in book 3, but it did leave this installment feeling a little bit like filler. Good filler, yet filler nonetheless.

It was Gabriel’s turn to take a run at Olivia. Kinda. Walsh makes a serious effort to give her what she needs, they ha
4.5/5 stars

Betrayals is the fourth book in the Cainsville series. There is a final book in the series, Rituals, coming out in 2017. There will be some spoilers from the previous books in this review.

The main narrator of the book is Olivia (1st person). But there are also some 3rd person narration (Ricky/future leader of a biker gang and Gabriel/lawyer and Olivia's boss).

I love this series. I would describe it as part mystery and part paranormal. The paranormal elements have definitely increased
BlebeTanja
May 18, 2015 marked it as to-read
Another update: August 2016?? That's ... a lifetime away!! Oh Gosh, if I die before August, I'm going to have to haunt someone who'll buy the book, and read it over their shoulder with them. But let's hope it doesn't have to come to that. ...

I need Gabriel in my lifeee!

The. Wait. Is. Killing. Meee.

...

Update: It has a title! uuuuu sounds mysterious and backstabbing and delicious! I want it, nao!

...

So THIS just (well, not just now, but it's the first time I've seen it.) happened. Oh fricking frock
Terri Wino
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: year-2016
So at the beginning of this book, Olivia was getting on my nerves a bit simply because it felt as if she were going backwards in her friendship with Gabriel and walking on eggshells around him because oooohhh...she might annoy him or make him angry. That's where I wanted to grab a fictional character and say, "So the f*** what? Stop acting like you need to censor yourself around him!" I mean, honestly, if after 4 books there's been no progression between two people who have continually had each ...more
Andrea
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
“But that's what dreams are for—to weave reality and fantasy and memory and stitch together something you can't hope for in waking life. To fulfill that little part of you that wants something so bad.”

4.5 stars Whhhhhy is it such a long wait for the next book? Ugh.

Betrayals starts a few months after the end of Deceptions. It’s masterly written and the ever growing mythology opens new doors for the series that quickly draws your attention. Armstrong takes these legends and myths and shapes t
Danya
This review and others can be found on my blog, Fine Print.

In the interests of avoiding spoilers, I’m going to keep this review fairly light on the details of the story and focus on my overall feelings towards this book. In BETRAYALS, Olivia, Gabriel, and Ricky are still grappling with the implications of their shared role in the underground Fae conflict that has shaped their lives; add in a new case to solve and personal issues on all sides and this one’s a doozy. After a lack lustre third book
Natasha
Oct 14, 2015 marked it as to-read
August 4 @ 10pm:

April 21, 2016: BLURB BLURB BLURB!

April 7, 2016:
OHHHHH, THERE'S A COVER. YEAH YEAH YEAH.
ps. there better be some touching on Gabriel's behalf of I'm gonna fuckin snap

Oct 14, 2015:
Emma
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fae, fantasy
Much better than Book 3. Loved the fact that Gabriel is finally acknowledging his feelings and Ricky is recognising a change in dynamic. I loved the first two books in the series, but unfortunately book 3 made a big dent in my enjoyment of this series and while this was much improved, I’m still not sure I can make it through the last book.
Ambur
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kelley Armstrong had a Facebook contest to win a bound copy of BETRAYALS and I was the extremely lucky reader who won it!!! Once I started reading I was hooked, which isn't surprising since that's happened with every since other book in the Cainsville series. I pretty much read it nonstop today, and I absolutely loved it...and the ending, oh my goodness, the ending means that the fifth books is going to be amazing!!! I'm already excited to buy myself a finished copy of BETRAYALS, reread it and t ...more
Ronda
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-favourites
I absolutely LOVE this series and this book is the best so far!

Gabriel is my main man, I adore his character, I love his nature, his head is a tunnel of thoughts that I could quite happily sit and decipher..... he is amazing....

Ricky is just full of hotness and he is also an amazing character.... but I don't want him to be 'number 1', although that is where he seems to be 'physically... mentally, I am not so sure... I'd like to say more but I won't be giving spoilers at any point...

I love Olivia
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, murder, childhood trauma flashbacks

3.5 stars.

I read this on my flight(s) from Melbourne to London and then on the Tube from Heathrow to my brother's place, so it's entirely possible that I missed some stuff simply because of the way I was reading this.

That said, this was a little bit...meh...for me. I wanted to love it. We're getting to the pointy end of the series now - the final book comes out in about a month - and so there are definitely things brewing. But at th
Ferdy
-The investigation of the week plot was blander than usual, took up too much of the story and seemed like filler when looking at the series as a whole.

-Quite liked Pamela and Todd, and all the Cainsville/Hunt aspects. I would rather more focus be on them than the generic murder mystery stuff.

-Nothing much to Olivia apart from her numerous irritating visions and the never ending boring love triangle.

-Ricky was too good to be true in a really, really bland way. I would lose interest in any scene
MizBizSav
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to win an ARC of Betrayals in a Facebook contest from Kelley Armstrong!

I absolutely love the Cainsville series. As in I've reread the series who knows how many times. As in I've fallen completely head-over-heels for the characters. As in I may obsessively think about this series way too much for it to be a healthy interest. Yup. An unbiased review this is not.

Heading into Betrayals I had no idea what to expect. That's the fun in getting the book in advance - no early revie
Mandy
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one. Definitely Team Gabriel!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I really tried making this last but I couldn't help myself. Full review to come.

Edited to add review:
I have loved this series from the very first book and that love for the series, for the characters and the wonderfully unique plot, have only grown as the series has. And so, with each new book, I want to both devour them and make them last forever. Such was the dilemma I had while reading Betrayals. I couldn't wait to get through it at the same time that I wasn't ready for it to be over. Waiting
Jess
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beth
Sep 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
I tried, I really did. But I could only force myself through sixteen chapters. This is incredibly boring. I could not care less about the plot, which is convoluted and weighed down by its own mythology. And Gabriel's voice - I hate to say it - is terrible. Even Ricky's voice is weaker here.

There's only so much mileage you can get out of all this. And that mileage ran out after book two.
J. Taylor
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
☕️Kimberly
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The series is steeped in Welsh folklore dealing with Mallt-y-Nos or Matilda of the Night. The main characters Matilda, Gwynn, and Arawn are at the heart of this lore. The Wild Hunt, FAE, and let's not forget the gargoyles, Ravens, and supernatural stories that fill the pages of this tale. These are all elements I enjoy in a cleverly woven tale, and I soaked up every morsel. There is an ongoing rift between the Cŵn Annwn and the Tylwyth Teghounds. At its center is our protagonist Olivia (Matilda) ...more
✨Jordan✨
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
(This is 4th book in this series). Olivia is still processing everything that goes on in Cainsville. After finding out she was adopted as a toddler and her parents are alleged serial killers , Olivia moves to cainsville to solve all these mysteries she can’t piece together. From Fae to Cwn Annwn to Bogarts this town is filled with so many magical beings. This book is full of magic, mystery, and one of the best love triangles around. Can Olivia solve the murder case? Will she make it alive? She l ...more
Siobhan
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betrayals is the fourth, and penultimate, book in Kelley Armstrong’s Cainsville series, and it’s another wonderful read. No matter how many Kelley Armstrong books I read – and I plan to one day be able to claim I’ve read them all – I constantly find myself amazed by the stories she offers up. Each brings us something new, something more, and this is especially true with the Cainsville series.

By this point in the series, we all have an idea of what to expect with the next Cainsville book. We know
Bea

I liked it but it didn't grab me and hold me like the others did. That ending though, wow, unexpected and yet not.
Elaine
Better than Deceptions, although this book introduced conveniences that smoothed out some bumps, but were never covered in the prior books. Hrm... I'd be more irritated if they were bad or dumb things, but having read the first 3 books in a row, they were easy to spot and obvious.

Ricky gets implicated in a murder, so the team begins investigating the killings of several lamiae: snake-like beings similar to succubi. The team discovers there's a lone Huntsman working without a Cwn Annwn pack - pra
Jennifer Wheeler
Michelle
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mireille Duval
Man, this plot was boring.

But Olivia and Gabriel! And Olivia and Ricky! And Ricky and Gabriel! I loved all the relationships in this. (view spoiler)
Sonja
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
God, I don't even know how to review this one. Like, the plot was SO DUMB for a lot of it and I just didn't care whatsoever, and I feel like Kelley Armstrong didn't really care all that much either. The plot just felt very lazy and shallow. But then I guess, the plot is not what I'm here for.

BECAUSE OH MY GOD. OLIVIA. GABRIEL. RICKY. I CAN'T. I love them all so much, in any and all constellations, but most of all, I STILL WANT THE POLY SHIP OF MY DREAMS!!!!!! It's the only thing that makes sense
Around the Year i...: Betrayals, by Kelley Armstrong 1 17 Jan 04, 2017 11:15AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #107 Betrayals by Kelley Armstrong 1 9 Aug 21, 2016 05:20PM

• Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Undone
  • Magic for a Price (Allie Beckstrom, #9)
  • Crush the King  (Crown of Shards, #3)
  • Urban Enemies
  • American Demon (The Hollows, #14)
  • My Peculiar Road Trip (Peculiar Mysteries #3.5)
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)
  • An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)
  • Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy, #3.5)
  • Spellbound (Crossbreed, #8; Mageriverse #22)
  • Scout (House Of Payne, #2)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)

Cainsville (5 books)
  • Omens (Cainsville, #1)
  • Visions (Cainsville, #2)
  • Deceptions (Cainsville, #3)
  • Rituals (Cainsville, #5)