Start by marking “The Kind Worth Killing” as Want to Read:
The Kind Worth Killing

The Kind Worth Killing

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  96,049 ratings  ·  10,535 reviews
10 hours, 18 minutes

From the author of the acclaimed The Girl with a Clock for a Heart--hailed by the Washington Post as crime fiction's best first novel of 2014"--a devious tale of psychological suspense involving sex, deception, and an accidental encounter that leads to murder that is a modern reimagining of Patricia Highsmith's classic Strangers on a Train.

On a night fl
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 11 pages
Published February 10th 2015 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published February 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Kind Worth Killing, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Natalie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jacqueline
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  96,049 ratings  ·  10,535 reviews

Start your review of The Kind Worth Killing
Holly
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Holy. Effing. Shit.

Now THIS was a damn great book. Everything I hoped both Gone Girl and The Girl On The Train would be...but weren't.
Diane
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book should be getting more attention.

The Kind Worth Killing is a smart, well-crafted psychological thriller. Fans of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train should be all over this novel (but I thought Kind/Killing was much better than the bestselling-but-forgettable Girl/Train).

The story opens with a man and woman, Ted and Lily, chatting in an airport lounge. Ted is upset because he recently found out his wife, Miranda, is cheating on him. Lily encourages him to talk, and says she'll help hi
Jeffrey Keeten
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Truthfully, I don’t think murder is necessarily as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone dies. What difference does it make if a few bad apples get pushed along a little sooner than God intended? And your wife, for example, seems like the kind worth killing.”

We are brought up to believe that murdering someone is the worst thing we could ever do, but is it? If a person is leaving a wide wake of broken hearts and battered spirits and in some cases much, much worse, is it really the worst thin
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I've been reading a lot of thriller/mystery/horror books and I've been finding myself being underwhelmed or straight up disappointed more often than not.

I'm tired of the same tropes of alcoholic, unreliable, "just out of a coma" characters. Tired of the words "women, she, girl, wife" in the title. Tired of boring female characters. Tired of the plot revolving about her being a mom or a wife.

I went into this book expecting it to be a typical thriller. Entertaining but a bit predictable... Well i
Mischenko
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is featured on this week's Throwback Thursday @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson is a psychological thriller that will have you guessing until the end!

Just who are the kind worth killing?

If you haven't read this book, I recommend skipping my review and the blurb. There aren't any big spoilers here, but going in blind is probably the best...

The story starts out with Lily and Ted. The two strangers come together for a game of truth which tu
Debra
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
WOWZA! This book sucked me in, chewed me up and spit me out. By the way, I loved every freakin minute of it. Just who is the bad guy in this book? Who is the victim? Who is to be trusted? Who will double cross you? Is there anyone you can trust? Who is a killer? Who will be killed? Oh Lord does this book keep the bodies dropping as a psycho killer keeps killing.

Ted Severson meets Lily Kinter on a flight. He finds her to be both attractive and intriguing. Over drinks he shares with her that his w
Will Byrnes
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’d taken enormous risks in the past two weeks, and I was lucky to have gotten away with them. But now I was done. It was over. I would live a quiet life and make sure that no one could hurt me again. I would continue to survive, knowing, as I’d known that night in the meadow, the stars pouring their light down on me, that I was special, that I was born with a different kind of morality. The morality of an animal—of a crow or a fox or an owl—and not of a normal human being.
Peter Swanson, au
karen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fulfilling my 2019 goal to read (at least) one book each month that has been digitally moldering, unread, on my NOOK for years and years and years.

not at all bad for a sickbed one-day read!

i am very glad i decided that one of my 2019 reading goals should be to start reading through the backlog of nookbooks i've been accumulating over the years. i'm even a little glad i got sick enough to feel zero regrets or guilt in giving myself a free pass to spend the whole day in bed, reading, which is not
Carol
HA.....WHAT AN ENDING! (smile)

Murder here.....Murder there.....Murder everywhere in this page-turning mystery-thriller! I was surprised more than once, thoroughly entertained from beginning to end, and even found myself rooting for the devious and dangerous little psycho killer.....well, most of the time.

Great Read!

Yun
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kind Worth Killing starts off with Ted meeting a mysterious woman at the airport and spilling all his secrets to her, thinking he would never see her again. He tells her that his wife Miranda is cheating on him, and that he secretly wishes he could kill her and her lover to teach them both a lesson. Once Ted and the woman arrive at their destination, they part ways, but that turns out to be only the beginning.

This book is so nasty and fun, with twists and turns everywhere, and I loved it! Ju
Sheyla ✎
I have to be honest here, when I invest in a fictional psychopath killer, I’m rooting for her or him (think Joe, think Dexter). I want them to succeed.

I became very invested with the one in The Kind Worth Killing.

Ted Severson is a millionaire guy who recently learned his beautiful wife, Miranda is cheating with his new home building contractor. He's at the airport awaiting his flight from London to Boston and feeling angry, hurt, and drowning his sorrows in his martini when he meets Lily Kintner
Michelle
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unless you're a saint, I would think most people have thought some heinous individuals add no value to the world, and should not be allowed to live and continue their evil ways. But, obviously, murder isn’t easy! The human brain is coded for compassion, for guilt -- for a kind of empathic pain that causes the person inflicting harm to feel a degree of suffering that is in many ways as intense as what the victim is experiencing. Say what you will about the characters in this book, but they had to ...more
preoccupiedbybooks
When you know a character is a very bad person, a total psychopath, and yet you can't help rooting for them?! That's some good shit!

Two strangers meet in an airport bar,
Ted confesses his wife is cheating on him and that he wishes she were dead,
Lily offers to help...

This was fun, the characters intriguing, the twists good, and that ending? It made me smile! I enjoyed it a lot, and couldn't see where the plot was going! There were certainly some very unlikeable characters here, with interesting
Jennifer Masterson
This book was a lot of fun. 4.5 Stars. If you like psychological thrillers definitely give this one a try. The first twist totally threw me for a loop. I'm surprised The Girl on the Train was hyped more than this book was. I found a The Kind Worth Killing to be much better. ...more
Arini
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure if the police really is that dense and lacks that much credibility or if it’s actually that easy to commit murder and get away with it. In any case, this was such a highly addictive psychological thriller. It was unpredictable from start to finish. Even the ending was mind boggling. Don’t try to compete with the plot about who’s right because it’s most likely you’re the one who gets it wrong.

Essentially, this book is about a man and a woman teaming up to kill the man’s wife who’s be
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Hey guys, I just read the next Gone Girl!!!! Nah, just kidding. This one was actually a retelling of an oldie . . .

Houston commercial photography

which I didn’t even realize was a book. Some booknerd I am, huh? Anywho, to me there is no greater timesuck than a Hitchcock movie marathon and Strangers on a Train is one of my all-time faves.

At the airport bar before a trans-Atlantic flight, Ted meets Lily. After having one too many cocktails, Ted starts dropping tr
Carol (Bookaria)
I don't know how I missed this novel when it came out but I'm glad I finally read it. It was an excellent thriller!

Ted and Lily met on a flight back to the States. He shares that he recently found out his wife is cheating on him with his contractor. Ted is rich and Miranda a young and beautiful woman. In his devastation he tells Lily (jokingly) that he would kill his wife for her cheating and is surprised when Lily agrees and supports this decision. From then on the story turns darker and what f
Justin
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will never understand why books like The Girl on the Train become runaway bestsellers when books like this exist. Yeah, yeah... there are similarities. This story revolves around four crazy people doing crazy stuff with plenty of crazy plot twists along the way just like that other book I mentioned. But, come on, this story is so much better. I loved how the story begins with Ted and Lily running into each other at the airport and having an interesting conversation. And, I loved how the second ...more
Linda
Just imagine.......

All things in the universe line up like stepping stones for you. The right/wrong people at the right/wrong time. And this is how it plays out for the main character of Lily. She dips her fingers into the pond and the concentric circles of ripples take their effect.

"Chet, can you do me a favor?" I don't think that I'd ever used his name before, and the word sounded strange in my mouth, like a swearword I wasn't supposed to say. And so it begins.....

Peter Swanson takes us for a
Skyler Autumn
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 Stars

I would describe The Kind Worth Killing as a cluster fuck of mayhem that I absolutely loved. Peter Swanson takes us on a twisty turn-y action packed thriller that begins with a simple conversation between two strangers at an airport bar. After wealthy, and when I say wealthy I mean absurdly filthy stinking rich, Ted Severson confesses after one too many martinis to a beautiful mystery woman on the bar stool beside him that he caught his wife cheating on him, quickly following with a fli
Jen
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this I started to categorize people I knew who pissed me off. According to this book, they would be considered the ‘kind worth killing’. Attention Grabber. Life, you’re going on hold. I need to read this!
Swanson has created a sensual thriller where 2 strangers meet at an airport and decide to play a game of truth telling. It quickly becomes a recipe for the murder of a spouse. Through brilliant twists and turns and various characters, the story comes together and is
Debbie
I’m forever in search of the next Gone Girl, and this isn’t it. I seriously wish all the damn marketers would stop leading me on.

This book isn’t a bad psychological thriller; I just wasn’t wowed. Okay, okay, it IS twist city, and yes, that was great fun. The characters are deliciously wicked and creative in their evil ways. The writing is straightforward, and the story flows easily--no wrong moves here. The author tells a riveting story. But, but…

Each chapter title is the name of a character wh
David Putnam
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book, borders on Good to Great, seriously leaning toward Great. It’s a story told rather than shown, I prefer ones that are shown. I love that “Fictive Dream,” (which isn’t here). The author uses first person for each character and each chapter division delineates the characters. All the main characters are flawed almost to the point of making this a story of antiheros and yet it works. I did enjoy this book a great deal. A big chunk of the telling (and the story overall) is done in ...more
bookswithpaulette
WOW WOW - This book deserves all the stars!

This is a faced paced, keep you guessing, edgy cat n mouse psychological thriller.

I was hooked when I read the jacket, two strangers meet at an airport bar, waiting for their very delayed flight. They start talking, Ted confesses his intention to kill his wife after catching her in the act with another man…… the other stranger (Lily) offers to help him kill her…….

It is best to go into the book without reading reviews. You think you know where this is
j e w e l s
A PROUD ADDITION TO THE TWISTER HALL OF FAME at www.booksbejeweled.com

“I don’t think murder is necessarily as bad as people make it out to be. Everyone dies. What difference does it make if a few bad apples get pushed along a little sooner than God intended? And your wife, for example, seems like the kind worth killing.”
― Peter Swanson, The Kind Worth Killing

This first-rate domestic thriller has never gotten the attention it deserved. It won a couple of awards when it was released in 2015, but T
Norma
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! I gotta say that some of the twists and turns in this book definitely took me by surprise!!!

I must admit near the beginning of THE KIND WORTH KILLING by PETER SWANSON had me feeling a little bit uncomfortable and questioning the motives of our devious, scheming, and manipulative main character, Lily. I just didn't know if I could get passed the planning stages and the idea that it was okay to murder someone and Lily’s dispassionate comment that Miranda, seems like “the kind worth killing”
Liz
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio

I’ve had some bad luck lately with psychological thrillers so I was almost hesitant to listen to this. But no worries. It captured my interest from the get go. I mean, you’ve basically got two people plotting a murder a la Strangers on a Train. Ted wants to kill his wife because she cheated on him. And Lily, well, Lily just wants to help for some unknown reason. This is a woman who has only met Ted on an airplane flight so there’s no reason she should want to help.

The book starts with alternati
Javier
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, OMG, OMG! "The kind worth killing"? The kind worth reading!

This last month I seem to be paying off my debts with the thriller genre, reading all the ones I didn't read at the time they were published and let me tell you...BEST DECISION EVER!

Some weeks ago on a thread about unexpected twists it was said that "The kind worth killing" had the best unexpected twist ever, so obviously I had to know what it was all about.

When you hear about unexpected twists you think about something happening at
Sandra
description

Two strangers (Ted Severson and Lily Kintner) begin talking to each other in a lounge-bar at London’s Heathrow airport. While their flight is delayed they begin to tell each other a little bit about themselves. Ted mentions that he is married and that he thinks his wife Miranda is having an affair with the house contractor, Brad. Ted says, in an offhand way, that he would like to kill his wife Miranda. Lily replies, “I think you should”. Is she joking? She offers to help him. When they get on th
Lisa
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
Murder Murder & more Murder that's what Peter Swanson takes you on in this thriller which made me think is murder that bad everyone lives everyone dies its as simple as that but HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO TO KILL & COULD YOU DO IT??

While reading this brilliant novel i was thinking about my own mortality & how easy it would be to be pushed so far by people who you thought you knew but didn't ? WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF THIS HAPPENED TO YOU!!

I was so taken with this book i just could not stop even to cook di

• Cows
  • Lock Every Door
  • Home Before Dark
  • The Girl Next Door (Emma Griffin FBI  Mystery #4)
  • Tampa
  • Behind Her Eyes
  • This Terrible Beauty
  • Final Girls
  • The Turn of the Key
Peter Swanson is the author of six novels including The Kind Worth Killing, winner of the New England Society Book Award, and finalist for the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger, Her Every Fear, an NPR book of the year, and his most recent thriller, Eight Perfect Murders. His books have been translated into 30 languages, and his stories, poetry, and features have appeared in Asimov’s Science Fiction, Th ...more

Articles featuring this book

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with...
“Everyone has a full life, even if it ends soon. All lives are complete experiences.” 48 likes
“Everyone dies, but not everyone has to see someone they love with another person. She struck the first blow.” 20 likes