Start by marking “Strawberry Tattoo (Sam Jones, #5)” as Want to Read:
Strawberry Tattoo (Sam Jones, #5)

Strawberry Tattoo

(Sam Jones #5)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  260 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Sam Jones comes to the Big Apple to exhibit her work at a gallery featuring young British artists. Shortly after her arrival, a gallery employee is found strangled in Central Park's Strawberry Fields. Will the strawberry tattoo give away the murderer's identity before Sam herself becomes a target?
Published September 12th 2000 by Three Rivers Press (CA) (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Strawberry Tattoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strawberry Tattoo

Jeri
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren Henderson's outrageous heroine, sculptor Sam Jones, heads off to Manhattan in this one for a show featuring young British artists. Self-described as "Miss Marple crossed with weedkiller", Sam is not entirely at a loss when she finds herself yet again involved in a murder investigation. In fact, she rather takes it in her stride.

I like Sam's bit ... er, forceful, style and in-your-face attitude. She's not a character I can truly identify with (I feel even more staid and boring than usual
Lori
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
A light, enjoyable and nostalgic read. Sam Jones discovers New York and her British cheekiness and perspective in an uptight-at-the-time Manhattan during the early nineties makes for a fun read. The mystery was pretty entertaining as well aside from the ending which lacked believability.
Sandi
Sam Jones, artist and amateur sleuth, is booked for a showing of Young British Artists in a fancy Manhattan gallery and finds lots of action plus a few bodies during her eventful stay in the Big Apple. I had not read this series in years but found Sam as fun as before and enjoyed the look at the late 1990s art scene.
Kirsty Darbyshire

Sam's off to Manhattan. Sounds like a laugh to me.

And it was.

This was a much stronger book from the mystery point of view than 'Freeze My Margarita'. There's stuff you could quibble over about the motive and the background to the murders involved but Henderson has done a great job with the characters. And Manhattan is pretty realistic too. It's not quite how I see Manhattan so I could quibble with that too. I spotted at least a couple of the Americans in the book talking in British idioms that

Writerlibrarian
Sam Jones meets New York and New York meets Sam Jones. Light, anchored in the time it was written late 1990s, early 2000s.There are quite a bit of cultural and pop reference specific to that era. TV shows, music in particular and the contemporary Young British artists scene of up coming artists that are big names now (Damien Hirst). The murder plot is okay but the best part is Sam discovering New York. There are pages that are just like a very nice tall drink of something cool and tasty. I enjoy ...more
Winifred
Liked this book but not as much as freeze my margarita. sam jones has gone to new york to show her sculpture. The gallery is broken into and some paintings hace had graffiti put on them and then kate is killed at strawberry fields. Then don is also killed. Sam and suzanne lure the killer to reveal themselves.
Jessica
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I so, so liked this book! It made me realize how we Americans are so sunk deep into our uptightness, we can't even see it for what it is. We think everything is so life-and-death, and really, in the grand scheme of things, who cares? And so what? Refreshing!
Rebekkila
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
For a mystery this book wasn't very mysterious. There was not a lot of time devoted to the mystery, 2 people are killed and then nothing happens until the end when it is revealed rather quickly. but I do love English chick lit and the book was entertaining and a fast read.
Stacey
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
A bit of nostalgia, published in the late 90's when pay phones were used regularly. Full of stereotypes of New Yorkers and artists, you are left feeling judged yourself. Not a book I'd recommend to a friend.
Amy
Nov 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Sam Jones is too cool for school, and that's why I like her sometimes and want to smack her others.
Emmaj
Apr 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Awful
Carolyn Patricia Allen
Mar 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: will-not-finish
Much ado about nothing has great meaning with this author. Her characters talked too much about nothing. I felt like the author wrote to entertain herself instead of me: the reader.
Megan
Jun 02, 2008 rated it liked it
(3.5 stars) This isn't the best of the Sam Jones books, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I do wish the author had consulted an American or two while writing the dialogue in New York...
Julie
Not a great mystery, but such an entertaining, readable book.
Valissa
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
"There was a boy in it. As so often."
Stacy
Oct 09, 2017
  • Tart Noir
  • Doctor Who: The Edge of Destruction
  • Better Off Dead: A Casey Jones Mystery
  • Theodora's Diary (Theodora, #1)
  • Vital Lies (Jane Lawless, #2)
  • Red Cat (John March, #3)
  • Doctor Who: Love and War
  • Fever Season (Benjamin January, #2)
  • Emperor Norton's Ghost (Fremont Jones, #4)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Quintessential Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #5)
  • Doctor Who: Nightshade
  • Havana Red (Mario Conde, #3)
  • Hearts and Bones (Hannah Trevor Trilogy, #1)
  • Whom the Gods Love (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #3)
  • Doctor Who: Timewyrm-Exodus
Born in London in 1966, Lauren Henderson read English at university and then worked as a journalist for - among other publications - the New Statesman, Marxism Today, the Observer and Lime Lizard, a much-mourned indie music magazine. Lauren now divides her time between Italy and London and, when not wine-tasting, writes full-time.

Sam Jones (7 books)
  • Dead White Female (Sam Jones, #1)
  • Too Many Blondes (Sam Jones, #2)
  • Black Rubber Dress (Sam Jones, #3)
  • Freeze My Margarita (Sam Jones, #4)
  • Chained (Sam Jones, #6)
  • Pretty Boy (Sam Jones, #7)