Start by marking “Making Music. 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers” as Want to Read:
Making Music. 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers

Making Music. 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers

This book is a collection of solutions to common roadblocks in the creative process, with a specific emphasis on solving musical problems, making progress, and (most importantly) finishing what you start. This site features a selection of chapters from the book.
Published March 18th 2015 by Ableton

Be the first to ask a question about Making Music. 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers

Start your review of Making Music. 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers
Maxton
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Esoteric electronic music alchemy methods. Incredibly insightful & helpful creative catalysts for musicians of all persuasions. I keep a copy with me 24/7.
Salvodaze
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What do you call about a book that teaches you so many valuable methods, gives you a new perspective and a good amount of information on a creativity-related subject as music production? Perfect.
Math Erao
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
Super inspiring and a really easy read. Loved the format and got so many good ideas. Above all, it’s just nice being reminded that the struggles you have as a writer/producer of music are generally universal — and easy to work through if you have the right mindset.
John
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book straight through; I am not an experienced composer. I'll be back in the future once I run into specific problems when making music.

In the meantime I've learned a lot about how to listen to music and for that it is already worthwhile. I found the sections on attentive listening, effective melodic composition, harmonic vs surface rhythm, and composition forms all very enlightening. This is another one of those books that seems to uncover a whole slice of the world by giving me
Sami Shaaban
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you make music on a computer, the bite-sized chapters in this book will make you think the author was reading your mind. The creative tips here probably apply to anyone engaged in a creative endeavor, but might only be interesting enough for you to connect to what you do if you also make electronic music.

Even though an e-book was vastly less expensive than the hard copy, I ordered the "real" book from Ableton and expect to read it about 12 more times over the next decade.
Mark
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Many of the tips can be applied to other types of art, but electronic music producers will find the most value. I have found myself referencing this a lot when making music. The organization around 'beginning a song', 'progressing through a song', and 'finishing a song' is perfect, and a lot of content of this book are somewhat simple tips that while intuitive are not things you actively are aware of until you read them.
Alexander Baygeldin
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, music
The creative side of things is rarely covered in other sources. This book is one of a kind. There are a lot of books that focus on the technical side of music production, but here we have a set of highly concise and practical lifehacks that can (and will!) boost your creativity and increase productivity.
Jim Lemanowicz
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting creative strategies

Interesting, thoughtful creative strategies for music-making - at times with an emphasis on electronic music - which may even have relevance in other disciplines.
Miki Gaby
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome
jm
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
Tons of great advice, although some of it seems to be more minced towards accidental discovery rather than deliberate creation.
White Rose
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this one's great, full of ideas for a n00b like me.
I am starting with Ableton and a couple of valuable insights are more than appreciated!
Toto Tvalavadze
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
No matter what level you are, this book is packed with great starter, work-in-progress and finishing ideas. For beginners it's basically pure gold—must read.
Michael Mali
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If every hotel has a holy bible, every studio should have this book. Creative, concrete, concise advice for the electronic music producer; a truly inspiring read, no matter their DAW of choice.
Eduardo Moura
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you make music, whether it's electronic or not, reading this book is a must.
Moe Chaieb
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you make any sort of electronic music, get this book. Incredible insights on all phases of the creative process. I will read it multiple times for sure.
David
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that capture the most common obstacles you face when dealing with electronic music production. Whether you're looking for tips to transform a four-bar loop into a full fledged track with proper tension and release à la progressive house or clever ways to incorporate misuse of standard DAW functions like quantization snap values, there's a lot of food for thought here. Various interesting analogies such as comparing a mix to a painting are also scattered throughout the ...more
motioneffector
I'm going to find the time to come back and give this a proper review, but in the meantime, 5 stars.

This book is everything I thought and hoped it would be from the previews at the Ableton site... and more, much more. Never before have those vague "unanswerables" about creativity been so well answered, at least as it pertains to electronic music production. This book is definitely focused on electronic production (not EDM genres in specific) - the composition side, the neglected one. Anyone who
Peter Peerdeman
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely expiring. It is not a book that teaches you ableton live, rather it focusses on the most challenging parts of creating music: creativity, producing content and finishing it. Each of the problems is very recognizable and the proposed strategies are actionable and clear. Can recommend this to anyone involved in creative processes. Btw, It is beautifully designed as well.
Robert Holt
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an incredible resource. It has solutions to nearly every issue I've run into while composing music. The print edition (I have both electronic and print) is so gorgeously laid-out and is a pleasure to read. Even if you're not an Ableton Live user, this applies to all music-making software-- and even to the creation of art in general.
Angelo
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A succinct, broad, and invaluable collection of advice on how to start, develop, and finish electronic compositions (in any digital audio workstation). Utilizing tips in this book, I've learned to listen closely, arrange wisely, and--most importantly--"fail better". Recommended.
Sergei
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread
Goes to reread later list.
Jef Cunningham
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not a tutorial book but much more philosophical - ways of thinking for getting around writers block when sitting at your drum machine :)
Jeroen Mul
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super useful book that helps you overcome creative struggles. Would recommend it to every electronic music producer, beginner or expert.
Seto Elkahfi
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for aspiring music maker

It's not about particular DAW. This book is about how to make music. I will make this as references in the future of my journey to create music.
Timothy
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ever contemplate making music? You need this book.
Adrian Christopher Rowe
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for breaking free of production slumps.
Dani Karanyi
Mar 07, 2017
Alex Dcs
Jan 06, 2018
Panagiotis Rapsomanikis
Jan 04, 2017
Brady Kimball
May 24, 2019

• Music Habits - The Mental Game of Electronic Music Production: Finish Songs Fast, Beat Procrastination and Find Your Creative Flow
  • Music Theory for Computer Musicians (Computer Musicians, #1)
  • Music Theory for Electronic Music Producers: The producers guide to harmony, chord progressions, and song structure in the MIDI grid.
  • How Music Works
  • Dance Music Manual: Tools, Toys and Techniques
  • Programming TypeScript: Making Your JavaScript Applications Scale
  • React Design Patterns and Best Practices
  • Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio
  • The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide: How to Learn Programming Languages Quickly, Ace Your Programming Interview, and Land Your Software Developer Dream Job
  • Zen and the Art of Mixing
  • Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way of Modern Warrior Should Think
  • The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles
  • Blue Note: The Album Cover Art
  • The Study of Orchestration
  • The Younger Next Year Back Book: The Whole-Body Plan to Conquer Back Pain Forever
  • 10 Step Guide to Clearer Thinking Through Essay Writing
  • Soft Skills: The Software Developer's Life Manual
  • Learn Python 3 the Hard Way: A Very Simple Introduction to the Terrifyingly Beautiful World of Computers and Code (Zed Shaw's Hard Way Series)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“My freedom thus consists in my moving about within the narrow frame that I have assigned to myself for each one of my undertakings. I shall go even further: my freedom will be so much the greater and more meaningful the more narrowly I limit my field of action and the more I surround myself with obstacles. Whatever diminishes constraint diminishes strength. The more constraints one imposes, the more one frees oneself of the claims that shackle the spirit.” — Igor Stravinsky, Poetics of Music” 2 likes
“Nothing kills the creative flow more than having to stop and solve a non-creative problem.” 0 likes