Jump to ratings and reviews

Woodland Creek

Crow's Caw at Nightmoon Creek

Flying through the night sky is amazing...especially when you're a spy.

Tall, athletic Mercedes McCartney is good at what she does – shaping clay into art. Supporting the downtrodden in the town of Woodland Creek. Oh – and transforming herself into a crow to fly the night sky, the wind in her feathers, soaring over landscapes, vistas and endless wonder as she sources secrets and eavesdrops on people's folly.

Coming back to Earth sucks...unless you uncover the truth.

Mercedes is horrified when she comes upon the dead body of her best friend, Elena Iris, at her favorite place, Nightmoon Creek. Nearby, stands the very much alive hot guy she’s been pursuing, Lennon Lusk. He's a suspect. She's a suspect. Mercedes' next mission becomes a big one – find out who really killed Elena, even if it means sacrificing her lust for Lusk.

She needs answers, fast. Her best clues come from a cat named Muffin and following her instinct, spying on the townsfolk. She uncovers secrets, lies and plots that fracture the calm appearance Woodland Creek presents. Only insiders know the truth. And insiders want Mercedes McCartney dead.

Get ready to fly into mystery. Buy Crow's Caw at Nightmoon Creek.

This is a standalone paranormal shifter romance.

194 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 15, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Calinda B.

67 books346 followers
When it comes to writing sexy contemporary romance books, supernatural romances, or an erotic paranormal romance series, New York Times bestselling author Calinda B purrs with excitement, just like her fine Abyssinian cat. She's got a life full of adventure and stories, a head full of imaginative realities, and a willing partner to help her with "research." What more could an author ask for?

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (9%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 37 reviews
Profile Image for Jennifer Erwin.
1,311 reviews13 followers
April 12, 2016
This was an interesting story. While I like that they both had their own issues and they were trying to do the best they could, I just wasn't truly on board with the hero. I think it was the pot use that was alluded to. It just didn't seem like that needed to be in the story. Overall I did enjoy this one.

***EDIT***

I just remembered one thing that did bother me about this book. It was this line:

"I'm completely drained of energy, as if I've run the Ironman marathon."

As a triathlete, this really irks the you know what out of me. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN IRONMAN MARATHON. The Ironman is a triathlon consisting of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run. The marathon is the third leg of the Ironman. So really the line should have been:

"I'm completely drained of energy, as if I've run a marathon."

OR

"I'm completely drained of energy, as if I've finished an Ironman."

Either one of those would be correct. I understand that the author was trying to convey a sense of complete and utter exhaustion. I get that. But like I said, as a triathlete, that line was wrong, and just bugged me. Overall I still liked the book, but I remember that pulling me back out of the story.
December 7, 2015
*****I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*****

This book has an interesting female MC who, among many traits, champions many lost causes (including any and all environmental cases), is apparently very attractive (yet completely oblivious to that fact) and extremely self deprecating to boot (two attributes not normally found together). She is a shifter but not the average type, she's a crow shifter (and a VERY sexual creature at that). ***the demographic is definitely not aimed towards the younger readers due to some very graphic sexual situations*** That being said the sexual parts seem to be tossed right in with the regular dialogue at times which came of as a bit unexpected and a tad jarring. The writing is notably succinct, sometimes to the point of being stiff and extremely direct. I know that this sounds like a harsh review but it was not completely awkward. The storyline is unique and interesting enough to not cause skimming, the pace is quick but not to the point of confusion, and the plot twists are not easily foretold. All in all it's not an epic, soul quenching saga but it is a quick, saccharine, feel good romp.
Profile Image for Kristy.
680 reviews
November 11, 2015
I received an ARC of "Crow's Caw at Nightmoon Creek" from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

From the first chapter I was intrigued with how this story would pan out, having never read anything form Calinda B. before, I had no prior knowledge of her writing style. "Crow's Caw at Nightmoon Creek" is Calinda's installment for the "Woodland Creek" collection, a collaboration of 30 authors all writing about 1 little town in Indiana USA, I was intrigued with the concept behind this collection.

It consumed me, I couldn't put my ereader down untill I'd finished. I've only ever read about Crows being shifters in one other series, but Calinda made her shifters, whether crow or not have a purpose, totally unique. It was gory in places, the reasons for crows on earth, normal or shifter is very much the same, just Crow shifters have a different purpose. WOW what a purpose. Everything in this story came together making the reading enjoyable, from the gore, to the steamy scenes.

REALLY enjoyed reading this story, just something about it kept me entertained.
488 reviews14 followers
November 12, 2015

Mercedes McCartney is a Crow shifter in Nightmoon Creek, which is sort of a safe haven for shifters, but not everyone knows they exist. While flying as a Crow, Mercedes discovers her best friend's body in the woods. She also sees a newcomer, Lennon Lusk, who is has been interested in. But, it's very late at night and who goes to the woods late at night? Is Lennon the killer? There are several twists in this story and in finding who the killer really is as both Mercedes and Lennon are considered murder suspects. We also learn a lot more about Lennon and who he really is.

Profile Image for Becki.
175 reviews2 followers
October 29, 2015
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in Calinda B's imagination. Her stories fascinate me. I have nothing but admiration for anyone who can come up with unique story ideas.

Crow's Caw at Nightmoon Creek is definitely unique. The characters are funny and loveable...except for the bad guys lol. With all the other shifter books out there, this is the first one I've read with bird shifters. I will never look at crows the same way again :)

I recommend you grab a copy and prepare to be entertained.
Profile Image for Cheryl.
5,013 reviews178 followers
April 15, 2018
This is my first introduction to this author. I did like this book. It is a shorter book then my normal book reading. Yet, I did find that this book didn't have much missing. It had really good characters in Mercedes and Lennon. They shared witty banter between them. I always love good banter. Mercedes and Lennon were eventually matched in wits. Quick responses.

The author did a good job with the world that the story took place in. Additionally, I found Mercedes ability to transform into a crow intriguing. Mercedes abilities were showcased well in the story. Plus, there was a bit of romance between Mercedes and Lennon. I wasn't expecting this from this story but it was subtle without taking anything away from the main story. While, Mercedes and Lennon are trying to solve a murder; the story is not gory. I would read another book by this author.
Profile Image for Denise.
4,120 reviews13 followers
January 15, 2019
I have adored this series set in Woodland Creek with the bonus being this one is by a author I do like to read. It has been awhile since I have been here so this was a treat on top of it all. Funny the crow in here is what I have pictured they seem to do exactly too. Mercedes does it well with us following her right away. You know what they say though about sticking your nose in where it should not be sometimes you get more than you expect like here. Then there is Lennon whom gets us more attached to this lovely tale. It takes you on a fast pace with you needing to keep in it. I do know also this one fit right in with this series with keeping me captivated.
Profile Image for Ashley Hedden.
4,471 reviews22 followers
June 22, 2019
Crow's Caw at Nightmoon Creek was a good read by Calinda B. Mercedes is a shifters who can transform herself into a crow at night when she says on people. She stumbles upon her best friends dead body at Nightmoon Creek which is her favorite place. She also sees Lennon who is someone that she's been pursuing. They both become suspects and Mercedes must find out who murdered Elena so they get off the suspect list. She starts spying on the people in the town to try and find the answers she needs. This was a good read by Calinda B, I really enjoyed Dana La Voz narrations.
Profile Image for J.
2,088 reviews6 followers
August 12, 2019
So, this was a pretty unique shifter read for me. I am used to more mammal shifting and more romance in my reads but with that being said, I have to say that I really enjoyed the twists that this shifter, mystery, romance read / listen took. While I could have done with out the actual crow's cawing in the performance - I get why it was there. I really so enjoyed the character chemistry between Mercedes and Lennon. I thought this was overall a well written and performed read and I understand that this is a stand alone in a series so I may have to check out more of this series...
Profile Image for Sandy.
1,307 reviews1 follower
July 3, 2018
First let me state, I received an Advance Reader Copy, (ARC), but this in no way influences my review. I always leave an honest review.

This story was gr8. When it first started it was weird to know the mind of a crow, even if said crow was a shifter. I love how Calinda can weave a story and keep you so interested in it that you can't put it down until the end. I recommend this read. 5 Thumbs up.
Profile Image for Diana Page.
903 reviews16 followers
January 16, 2018
Loved Mercedes and Kennon’s life be/hate relationship. The whole book is full of amazing characters and a fantastic “who dunnit”. I recommend reading all the books in the series as the different shifters each have their own unique personalities and make for a very interesting read. 4⭐️‘s Can’t wait for the next book by Calinda B.
Profile Image for Sherry Westendorf.
4,445 reviews19 followers
January 27, 2018
Love this author's books. They are always well written and exciting. They keep your attention and make you think.This one is a crow shifter, her dead friend, the guy she wants and lots more. It is exciting, suspenseful, mysterious, emotional and so much more. I recommend it. I was given a review copy and voluntarily review it.
Profile Image for Ashley .
1,065 reviews2 followers
May 21, 2018
It's pretty good, but I think what would make it better would be if there was more distinction between the sexy scenes and the action. It was kind of weird that there would be just a regular old thing going on and then all of a sudden there is some hot and heavy stuff going on.

I received a copy of this book and am voluntarily reviewing.
682 reviews10 followers
January 21, 2020
Wow a fantastic read. If you love books with Shifters and an awesome mystery. Then this is definitely the read for you. The Author brings a fantastic read to fruition and it is definitely a page turner. I didn't want to put the read down. It pulled me in from start to finish. Its a real page turner. I definitely recommend.
Shauna Joesten

Profile Image for Christi.
470 reviews3 followers
December 29, 2017
This was a great addition to the Woodland Creek series. If you love a good shifter book this one is for you. I am voluntarily leaving my honest review after reading this arc.
Profile Image for Barb VanderWel.
1,813 reviews24 followers
March 29, 2018
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
3,392 reviews13 followers
August 9, 2018
I enjoyed reading this book 📚, it has a great storyline. I can't wait for more from this author. I received this book as a FREE ARC copy to read and I voluntarily leave this review.
Profile Image for Shelly Celli.
2,227 reviews5 followers
July 20, 2019
This is a bit different, but really keeps your attention and makes you want to forsake everything else to find out what’s about to happen next. I really enjoyed the narrator too.
Profile Image for valeria.
660 reviews23 followers
December 13, 2020
I liked the book, I liked the interaction between Mercedes and Lennon, a little slow in the last chapters but it was good
Profile Image for Kay.
240 reviews
December 6, 2015
First, I want to thank both Calinda B., the author, and Jay at Choosy Bookworm for the opportunity to read this book free in exchange for a review.

Next, I want to admit I wasn't sure about it when I discovered the heroine was named Mercedes MaCartney (one of my favorite series is Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series) and this is a crow shifter. I'm into shifters, but crows??? Somehow that didn't seem even semi-romantic. Well, Calinda changed my mind in a big way. This was nothing like any shifter story I had ever read, crows are REALLY different, a bit stomach-turning at times, but, having grown up on a farm, I know the story kept them very true to life.

Mercedes lives in Woodland Creek, Ohio, a town that has a reputation of being shifter friendly, even though the ordinary humans are mostly unaware of their shifter neighbors. She wants to become a soul-snatcher, but can't get a straight answer to her inquiries about her future when she asks Odin, the current holder of the title. I found the story line involving the crows' "jobs" very intriguing, and love how the author handled the story from that angle.

Mercedes finds the body of her best friend Elena by Nightmoon Creek while she is out on an evening flight. Lennon Lusk, a guy that both she and Elena were interested in, happened to be in the same area at the same time. Obviously, both he and Mercedes are suspects in Elena's death, and since Mercedes knows she didn't kill her best friend, she was willing to bet that Lennon did. Add in the complications that Elena's soul refused to cross over until Mercedes solved her murder, a development company was trying to build on Nightmoon Creek, and something strange was happening in deceased Mrs. Murphy's home (which Lennon was remodeling), and Mercedes found her plate overflowing.

I loved that Calinda drew me into Mercedes life and problems, and didn't short-cut the ending, which was a complete surprise. I like to think I can figure out "who-done-it" way before the heroine does, but I was thrown for a loop.

If you like shifters, consensual sex, conflict and a real mystery, I think you'll enjoy Crow's Caw at Nightmoon Creek. The only negative, this is part of a series, and 29 more authors have each written a Nightmoon Creek story. My wish list just got 29 books longer LOL!!
Profile Image for Maghon Thomas.
1,270 reviews1 follower
June 9, 2016
Aww I really liked this one! It was hilarious reading Mercedes talk as a crow! And there was such suspense to find out who killed her friend Elena. It's actually a really cool story too!

So Mercedes is a crow shifter. She makes pottery and sells it, that's her job. She also has a passion for standing up for her community. But when her best friend is murdered and she is the prime suspect, along with her crush, things spiral out of her control. I must say, she's a great lead character. She's flawed and real and she's funny! Serious, Caw in crow is like a whole conversation. And how she talks to herself when she flies and watches people. I loved that she was insecure about herself yer confident to stand up for everyone else. It's so real. And her crush on Lennon. How complicated to want a man, who liked your bff, who was murdered and it the other suspect. She is determined to find out if he really did it because she knows she didn't.

I didn't like Lennon at first, until mercy got to know him. I loved his playfulness and his protectiveness of his nephew Hawke. I loved Hawke. And the cat muffin may have stolen the show. And Odin the crow, he's pretty cool. The bad guys, well, I wasn't sure, then I was, then I wasn't. It was interesting how this one played out. And I like very much how it ended. I hope this becomes more because I'd love to see how the GSUR turns out, and the McMurphy's hard work paid off.

I enjoyed the writing style. I really just loved Mercedes personality and the humor that got thrown in. It's still a dark and gritty story, with murder and suspense, but it was balanced so well. I look forward to reading more from this author and I definitely hope to see these characters in the future! Crows have wings... But otters have paws- so 5 PAWS!! Lol :) nope can't tell you about that ;)
Profile Image for Tequila.
1,199 reviews21 followers
December 4, 2015
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

If you enjoy paranormal shifter mysteries/thrillers, then you will want to check out Calinda B.'s Crow's Caw at Nightmoon Creek.

This is the story of Mercedes McCartney, a crow shifter who is trying to find her purpose in life. She's hoping to be able to help take souls over to the otherworld. During a late night flight, she finds Elena's body, her best friend, in the woods. When she stumbles over her best friend's body, she sees also Lennon Lusk, the man who was supposed to go on a date with the friend that very night. Of course Mercedes instantly blames Lennon for the murder. This is when the story starts. What Mercedes and Lennon may think what's going on, isn't really the truth. They both work together to find Elena's murderer so her soul can find peace and to also stop the evilness that is wanting to destroy Mercedes' favorite place, Nightmoon Creek.

I really enjoyed this story. Just when I would think things were going one way, they quickly went another and then in a completely different direction. This story does keep you on your toes and take you for a wild ride, causing you to expect the unexpected. I found myself in love with Mercedes and love how strong she is. No matter what happened, she just kept on fighting. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author and more of this series!
Profile Image for Pam Louis.
1,728 reviews7 followers
December 14, 2015
My first book by this author but wow what a powerful book. I really enjoyed it.
It's part of the woodland creek series (an awesome series in its self) but don't worry about being lost or what book to read first. Each book can be read in any order or all by it's self. They just take place in the same town.

This one is about Mercedes and she is a crow shifter and as a crow she does her part to usher the dead to the other side. In the very beginning of the book she finds out her best friend is dead and it's her job to free her friends soul by helping to find out who killed her.
The mystery in this is awesome and I feel Calinda B pulled my imagination to a new high with this story wow. The characters are wonderful and so easy to connect to. The mystery part? I never guest who it was! Yea shifter fans are going to love it. I thought it was fantastic,
Profile Image for Diane Goodman.
102 reviews2 followers
July 19, 2018
Not a homerun !!!!

I am a lover of shifter stories. At first I liked this book, I liked the main characters but the farther I got the weirder it got. I was grossed out by some of the things the crows did and ate. When one of the characters turned into a swarm of wasps I tried to continue reading but what happened next really finished it for me. Maybe this will be your kind of book and if it is I hope you enjoy it. This book hasn't turned me off on this author or any of her additional books. I was lucky enough to be gifted a copy of this book from the Author through Choosy Bookworm and it was an honor to get the chance. I hope my opinion won't stop anyone from giving this author a chance.
Diane E. Goodman.
Profile Image for Kim.
1,056 reviews9 followers
November 22, 2015
There was a lot of action packed into this story. Mercedes has strong ties to Nightmoon Creek and protecting the environment from being developed. She finds herself in deep when her best friend is found murdered. From that point on it just seems like more and more trouble finds Mercedes. As least she’s not in it alone. Lennon a relative new comer in town is in trouble just as deeply. Plus there’s that powerful attraction between the two of them.

Can they solve the murder, stay out of trouble, stop the evil corporation from ruining the land? The story moved at a pretty good pace and kept things hopping. It was captivating to see all of the characters working together and all of the pieces come together in the end.
Profile Image for T..
Author 13 books565 followers
January 17, 2016
I received Crow's Caw at Nightmoon Creek as an ARC (advance reader's copy) book through Choosy Bookworm. The gifting did not determine the review/rating, which reflects my honest opinion. Crow's Caw was a highly unusual read, and one of the few where I disliked and enjoyed the lead character's personality in equal portions. Mercedes is a crow-- as with her namesake, she's irritating, easily distracted, inquisitive, talkative, and did I mention irritating? What makes the book fun is how much of Mercedes life revolves around her crow personality-- when I wasn't annoyed, I was laughing at her antics, or disgusted by her habits (we've all seen crows eating roadkill--ewww). A delightfully outrageous, quirky story.
288 reviews
February 5, 2017
Epic Edgy paranormal mystery romance

This book has it all! This is an Epic paranormal mystery romance that takes off running and doesn't slow until the very end. With surprises around every corner this is one hot book that you don't want to miss. I highly suggest reading this and all the other Woodland Creek books. So far I have loved every story in this series that I have read.
Profile Image for Tonya Thomas.
39 reviews2 followers
December 28, 2015
I am definitely going to HAVE to read the ENTIRE Woodland Creek Series after reading this novella! I was completely enthralled with this book. Going to the ends of her rope to find whomever killed her best friend will POSSIBLY be either the death of her, or the most BEAUTIFUL beginning of a new life for Mercedes and her friends. I wasn't quite sure who the killer was until pretty much it was revealed for the reader.Awesome work Calinda B.!! I LOVED this book, it took me two days to read, so clearly! Get Reading Silly! I received this book in return for an honest review.
Profile Image for Belinda Clemons.
1,484 reviews16 followers
May 5, 2017
Calinda gave me this book for a honest review. She has a great imagination. I really loved this book. I felt sorry for Lennon and Mercedes because they kept getting almost arrested because of the things going on.I was so happy and disturbed to read what the skeleton and Mercedes' crow friends did to Bill also I loved the scene where Mercedes and Lennon and Hawke opened the wall. Muffin was a neat character also. All in all a great and fun read
Profile Image for Zeinab Dh.
1,458 reviews36 followers
November 18, 2015
I got this in exchange of an honest review,,I have never read a crow shifter and this one was interesting to read I mean having Mercedes the crow shifter in her secret heaven no longer safe as one might say and then the action starts which changes everything for everyone in town the action I liked the mystery the suspense more than anything else its a great book everyone should read Calinda is a great author

Displaying 1 - 30 of 37 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.