Start by marking “Grief Undone: A Journey with God and Cancer” as Want to Read:
Grief Undone: A Journey with God and Cancer

Grief Undone: A Journey with God and Cancer

"Grief Undone" is the breathtakingly honest, yet hopeful account of how Elizabeth (Libbie) and Al Groves walked with God through Al s terminal cancer. Their true story saturated with in-the-moment Scriptural reflections, blogs, and fervent prayers paints a stunning picture of how faith transforms the human experience of suffering.

But "Grief Undone" is more than the chronic
Paperback, First edition, 224 pages
Published March 16th 2015 by New Growth Press

To ask other readers questions about Grief Undone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grief Undone

Wayne
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is for everyone who has experience the grieving of the loss of a loved one. This book was about a woman and her family losing her husband. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer about a year before he passed away. Those circumstances were different than mine and our family. My wife died 11 days after she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. But the grieving process described in this book are acute and very familiar to what I and my family are going through. When I think back to our hap ...more
Letitia Newland
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Alone

This story of facing one of the toughest times of life - the death of a loved one - is told with such honesty and transparency that we can see God’s love in every step along the way. A beautiful reminder of the fact that His children are NEVER alone!
Protim Adhikari
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It must be said; this book's author is the most imitable person I've ever met. Hence, while my comments are an attempt to objectively summarize the form and content of Mrs. Elizabeth "Libbie" Groves' memoir, they come with the emotion of walking through her well-crafted story of loss and recovery, grief and hope. Here goes.

Regarding form, Groves takes readers through seven consecutive seasons of her family’s life. To do so, she packs two hundred-eight pages into eighty-nine chapters. Consider th
Annah
This was recommended to me by a friend who describes Groves as "the most imitable person" he knows; that endorsement was enough for me to want to read it. Groves walks the reader slowly and thoughtfully through her family's experience of her husband's cancer diagnosis and death, offering a personal window into their struggle and sorrow, and the Hope she held onto throughout. Keeping in mind that readers might be grieving themselves, it's written in short and simple chapters and doesn't balk at v ...more
Sharon Hughson
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
As with other books on grief I've read, it was difficult to get through this book because of the emotional entanglements I carried with me. Still, it had some unique insights and earns 4.3 out of 5 stars.
The writing style here didn't pull me in as a story would, so it was easy enough to stop at the end of a chapter. Sometimes I needed to put it down and digest the truths presented and let my own pain soak in their salve.
An excellent book for widows and those who minister to them, but it felt ver
Jason
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very encouraging account of one family who relied and is relying on Jesus through the challenges of an early death of a father and husband.
Jan
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pnacl

The first four pages in this books were comments of admiration for the great job Elizabeth Groves did in writing this book. I would have to agree. Some of the quotes were inside out look at a real working faith, soul food at the finest, and a honest and moving account of the joys and regrets of care of a husband with cancer. Both Elizabeth and her husband Al were teachers at the Westminster Theological Seminary. Elizabeth had 4 children ages 13 and up to 23 when Al died in 2007 of a malignant me
Jeff Robinson
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did not know Al Groves, though had the privilege of knowing the author of this book, his wife Libbie, while studying Hebrew at Westminster. Al passed away during my first week of classes, though he lived on in the stories of him, his pastoral heart, and his insights into scripture which were continually shared during my time as a student. This book tells the story of Al, Libbie, and their family as they came to grips with Al's cancer diagnosis and spend their final year together. It recounts G ...more
Dean
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For a fuller review, see http://exegeticaltools.com/2015/05/07...

I've had the privilege of learning Hebrew from the author at Westminster Seminary. What an excellent book. I heartily recommend it to everyone, especially those who are currently dealing with grief or walking alongside those currently dealing with grief. Unless Jesus comes back soon, everyone of us will eventually deal with grief and death if we haven't already.

This book never minimizes the reality of pain and grief, but it always
Nellie
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a good book about dealing with grief. The author's husband, Al, had skin cancer that spread. They new the odds were death. They had about a year to prepare for this reality.

The book is sad but full of hope as well. When you know the Lord, you can face the prospect if death with hope. Hope because you know where the person is going. Hope because you know that one day you will be reunited provided that you know the Lord as well.

The book also tells how the tire family coped and survived. T
Heidi
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for those dealing with terminal illness. It is honest, filled with excerpts from Elizabeth's husband's journal and how they walked through the valley of sorrow and death with love and even joy.
Jesvin Jose
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a painful book to read, yet we see God's grace shining brightly through these pages! Praise God for this story!
Rob Sabin
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A honest and wonderful account of the amazing last days of Al on this part of his life journey. I appreciate the struggles being revealed. A worthwhile read.
Kyle Oliphint
This book is absolutely wonderful! Libby Groves shares her heart as she shares her grief and, most incredibly, the Lord's sustaining grace throughout it all.
Pick it up and read it.
Aug 21, 2016
Phil
Jan 03, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Elizabeth W. D. Groves, MAR, teaches Hebrew at Westminster Theological Seminary and is the author of the minibook Becoming a Widow: The Ache of Missing Your Other Half. She has four children, who were ages thirteen and up when her husband Al died in 2007, and two granddaughters born after his death.