Start by marking “Swords & Stilettos (Enlighten Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Swords & Stilettos (Enlighten Series, #1)

Swords & Stilettos

(Enlighten #1)

Zoe Jabril needs to devise a kick-ass plan to save the world ASAP. Otherwise, Armageddon starts the day she turns eighteen—and if that happens, everything is going to hell. Literally.

She could be any other 17-year-old attending parties and checking out cute guys—except she discovers her best friend is a Guardian Angel and the boy she crushes on is a Nephilim, both sent to
Published December 7th 2016 by Kasian Publishing LLC (first published May 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Swords & Stilettos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swords & Stilettos

Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
442 books — 3,380 voters
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasMermen by Mimi Jean PamfiloffRed Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirSix of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
New Series (2015)
447 books — 1,297 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Swords & Stilettos (Enlighten Series, #1)
Amanda
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Thank you to Kasian Publishing & Kristin D. Van Risseghem for my copy of the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book was beyond cringe like seriously I was shutting one eye while squinting with the other making myself read on at some parts it was that cringey, yet I loved the rest of it! Yeah, it was super awkward at times but I still wanted more of the story and to hear about all these amazing characters that Kristin has graced us with.

Zoe Jabril is your typical teenager trying
Carrie
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Seventeen year old Zoe Jabril's life was pretty ordinary until one day she and her best friend, Kieran, are attacked by two strange men. When another handsome boy, Shay, joins the fight Kieran and Shay overcome the attacking men but when their bodies poof out of existence Zoe gets her first glimpse into a world she never knew existed.

Kieran and Shay explain to Zoe that they have been sent to protect her because when she was born it was believed that Zoe is a baby that was foretold in a prophecy
Karina
Thank you NetGalley and Kesian Publishing for accepting my request and providing me a copy in exchange of an honest book review.

3 of 5 stars

The Guardian, A Sword, & Stilettos is the book one of the Enlighten series.

It is written on two POVs; mostly on Zoe’s and sometimes on third.

This book is a fantasy. Yes I can see it but I can’t f-ing feel it! I see that this book is mainly all about mythical creatures which perfectly fits for its genre. But this one is so cliché. And it didn’t gave me
Fangs for the Fantasy
Aug 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Zoe Jabril is a typical teenage girl, or at least that is what she thought before she found out that her best friend is an angel and that he was assigned to watch over her. That should be enough oddity in the life of one young woman but it's only the tip of the iceberg for Zoe. After being attacked by demons, Zoe learns that she is destined to bring the Enlightens together and bring an end to the Devil's plot to take over the world. That's a lot for anyone to handle, especially when one has prom ...more
Cody
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Review Copy from Author for more visit Literary-ly Obsessed

This just wasn’t for me; this book came across as too similar to other YA novels such as The Mortal Instruments, Fallen, The Iron Fey and Twilight.

Seventeen-year old Zoe, like many heroines thinks she leads a normal, simple life when in fact she has been prophesied to end the war against evil in a world filled with angels, demons, werewolves and fairies. Zoe’s best friend Kieran is an angel and is tasked with protecting her with his
Maria
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun story with a great voice! The characters and the plot keep you reading till the very last page, and it leaves you wanting the next book (and the next, and the next)!

There is a character for everyone, and they're each full of personality. It's plot driven, which I love, and I didn't see several things coming (which I love even more).

I was lucky enough to read this book in several stages, and I am so happy to be able to finally give it an official review!

I can't wait for the
Siobhan
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Swords & Stilettos, the first book in Kristin D. Van Risseghem’s Enlighten series, is one of those books to have caught my attention quite a few times. As someone who enjoyed an interesting angel read, I was more than willing to see if the book would deliver all I had hoped for.

In truth, this book wasn’t quite what I had expected. It was interesting enough, but it did not blow my mind. I want to know what happens next, I’ll certainly be giving the next book a read, but I’m in no rush to find
FantasyWorksPublishing
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Samantha
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mehh, young-adult

The Guardian, a Sword, & Stilletos is a ya/teen novel. It plays on the fantasy genre and follows Zoe, our protagonist who finds out she is destined to fulfill a world saving prophesy. She has a best friend Kieran, whom she later finds out is an angel and is in fact in love with her. However bad boy and half angel Shay comes in the picture and steals her heart as her potential soulmate instead. Both have been appointed to look over her as her 18th B-day is destined to reveal what she truly
Mihlean
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: r-and-r, 2-stars

Rating: 2 stars

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of Swords and Stilettos from the Rachel E. Carter YA book club on Goodreads!

Alright, I'll be starting this review on a more positive note.
This was a very quick read. Its 290 pages were written in a way that made it super easy to read it through on high speed, which I liked. But gods, this book was cringe-worthy.

(view spoiler)
Vanessa Eccles
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The earth told them of her birth.

Zoe, your typical teenage girl, is thrown into a battle of good and evil. Everyone believes she’ll be the savior of the world as we know it. To further complicate matters, she learns that her lifelong best friend, Kieran, is actually her guardian angel. With demons hunting her every move, she has to rely on others to keep her safe.

But when she meets Shay, a nephilim, she is instantly smitten. From the second she laid eyes on him, it was hard to think of anything
Jason
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens, YA Readers
Let me begin by saying I'm not a YA reader. It just isn't my preference. So, why five stars? When I do read YA, I mainly look for whether the author can keep my attention. And trust me, my attention span is short! Not only did this book do that, I found it difficult to put down. I downloaded it to my Kindle Sunday afternoon and finished it today, two days later!

The plot, in my opinion, was closely related to Twilight. An angel, a half-angel, a wolf, a fairy, demons, and humans. Oh, and a few
Elizabetta Holcomb
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a perfect read for me. Romance, action, a bit of angst thrown in. It pulled me in right from the first chapter. The characters were likable and fun. Keiren is my favorite but that because I like the loyal friend types :)
As a previous review stated, it is a bit cheesy at places, but I happened to like cheesy. The part about the One Direction song was a bit much. That being said, it is a YA book and this sort of scene is one my younger daughter loves to read about.
Great start for a
Fiona Sheldon
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

Totally awesome. Loved it. It's busy, it's action packed and it's busting at the seems. You would think with so much going on in a book, it would ruin it. well, not this one. It keeps you on your toes and keeps you guessing. It's defiantly an attention holder. It all just fits perfectly and flows through the book. Nothing is left out, you know each of the characters part in the book. If you like paranormal romance then this is a book
Melli
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
Loved it.. If you like mortal instruments you will love this.. An ordinary girl who finds out she is far from ordinary.. But the chosen one to save the world..
KD Siebenaler
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! Nice pacing, good on grammar, and an overall great story!!!
Laura Martinez
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Zoe is a high school student just trying to finish her last year in school. She has a best friend Kieran who is a hottie by her side when they both stumble upon a demon and her hottie friend fights him off. Soon after life as Zoe knew it changes forever and she has to face these demons as well as a prophecy.
I will say that the story was very slow at the beginning but once it picked up pace it was very good and I enjoyed it. Will be continuing this series to see what happens next.
Andrea Heltsley
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read
LOVE!!! Great new series! Can't wait to read the next installment in this ya paranormal romance featuring angels, demons, shifters, and fae! Five glittery stars!
Laura L
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
I VOLUNTARILY REVIEWED A COPY FROM THE RACHEL E. CARTER YA BOOK CLUB ON GOODREADS.

Okay.

"Swords & Stilettos"

Where should I even begin?

Let's just start with Zoe. Who - at least for me - was literally a cookie cutter version of a typical YA protagonist. Complete with angles, insta-love and a love triangle. Of course.

But don't take what I'm saying to be a jab at this book. I enjoyed the characters, no matter how odd they were (YASSSS SHAY AND I LOVE STAR WARS) and I did enjoy the magic and
Anthony
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Guardian, a Sword, & Stilettos (Enlighten #1) by Kristin D. Van Risseghem

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author and Booklover Catlady Publicity in return for a fair and honest review.
Many thanks!

Another thrilling new entry into the YA Fantasy realm hits home in author Kristin D. Van Risseghem's "The Guardian, a Sword, & Stilettos (Enlighten #1)",
a brand new adventure featuring ancient prophecies, angels, demons, and a whole lot of teenage angst. Here is the
Mia Book Addict
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
‘Swords & Stilettos’ is the first book I read from Kristin VanRisseghem and I really enjoyed it. At the beginning of the book some parts reminded me of ‘Hush, Hush’ series by Becca Fitzpatrick and ‘Sweet’ series by Wendy Higgins. Even though I enjoyed those series, I started preparing myself for disappointment because if it goes the same way, it is not really hard to guess what will happen next but I kept reading to see what would happen and I am glad I did. This is the first book I ever ...more
Charlotte
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Guardian a Sword & Stilettos,
By Kristin D.Van Risseghem.

( Source: I received this book from BookLover CatLady Publicity, In exchange for my opinion and honest review. )

Zoe is just your average 17 - year - old teenager, living an ordinary life. Or so she thought. Her best-friend is a Guardian Angel, and she is totally crushing on a Nephilim aka Half- Angel. Both who have been sent to earth to keep Zoe safe.
Zoe has more to deal with when her classmate and girlfriend turns out to be a
Danielle
What can I say here that would do this book justice? It is a strong start to a great series and I can't wait to see what the author has in store for us. Zoe is a kind, nice young woman who is there for her friends when they need her. She really tries to help everyone around her. That makes me like her more, because you can tell she genuinely cares for others.

The action starts right away for Zoe and you get thrown right in to a world she didn't know was there. Her best friend, Kieran, is not who
Kristina Aziz
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
You should read this book. If you think Twilight had potential but focused too much on the love triangle, read this book. If you like YA fantasy but feel like "the chosen one" is too stereotypical for you to really love a book, then read this book. If you like well developed and interesting characters, guess what? Read this book.

This book first caught my attention when the author asked me if I'd like to review it. I was expecting more of the usual fantasy romance--chosen one who's automatically
C.E. Dimond
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was well written and a fun concept filled with all sorts of magical creatures hidden in plain sight. I love when a story incorporates fantasy into the real world, it gives it such a magical feeling. It started off with really good promise and I did find myself intrigued by the story, but then things got convoluted with an ‘instalove/soulmate’ plot. While everyone dreams of their love at first sight moment, let’s be real, it hardly ever happens.

I’m not sure the cover was well suited
Misfits farm
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very different book. Zoe is 17 and up to all the normal teenage activities. Her best friend is Kieran, who turns out to be a Nephilim (??-Yup! You and me both!) Half angel half man, sent to protect Zoe who turns out to be rather special. An enjoyable YA novel for those who enjoy a little fantasy amongst the pages. There are the usual fights, special powers and different characters, most of whom are likeable (apart from the baddies of course!).
Possibly a “Marmite” book- you love it or
Liz
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Zoe Jabril could be just another 17-year-old girl attending parties with her friends and checking out cute guys—except her best friend is a Guardian Angel, and the boy she crushes on is Nephilim--both sent to Earth to protect her. Zoe's classmate happens to be a trendsetting shopaholic fairy. And now there’s a new werewolf in town.

Also, she could be the chosen one.

Between boys, homework, and drama with girls at school, she has to control new found talents if she’s to prevent the devil from
Petra
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I VOLUNTARILY REVIEWED A COPY FROM THE "RACHEL E. CARTER YA BOOK CLUB ON GOODREADS.

This was quite a disappointing read. I hoped to read an original story about angels but sadly it seemed to be taken from other books I have read.

The book immediately throws you into an action scene where you have no idea what is happening or why and who you are reading about. It felt like a lot of information was missing. To me this felt like the only action scene in the book and the rest of the book was about
Colin Griffiths
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it

Firstly the cover , as good as it is, does not indicate that it is in fact 'young adult' as it is not my preferred genre. I read it nevertheless, after purchase. It's well written and in a sense offers a good story which I'm sure some teenagers I particularly liked Kieran and maybe a trick was missed here. It was written in first person and narrated by Zoe, when there was so much that could have been developed with Kieran and the others. I couldn't bond with Zoe whatsoever.
It's a good read and
Mimi
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
It was ok, but I thought I would like it a lot more than I did.

The plot was interesting enough, but at times it made me want to cringe. Out of the characters, I couldn't really take to Zoe as she really annoyed me. I kept hoping that she would get better, but sadly she didn't. Kieron, was my favourite. I just found him interesting and wished that he had been in it more. Sidelle, was OK and I liked it when she was in the story.

Despite being disappointed, I still think I would carry on with the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Academy of Shifters: Werewolves 101
  • Becoming: The Balance Bringer
  • NOT A BOOk
  • Runes (Runes, #1)
  • Vile Sorcery (Royals of Villain Academy, #2)
  • Sinister Wizardry (Royals of Villain Academy #3)
  • First World (Walker Saga, #1)
  • Emperor's Throne (Desert Cursed #6)
  • Dragon Academy (Dragon Riders Academy Book 1)
  • The Midnight Society (Midnight Chronicles, #1)
  • Corrupt Alchemy (Royals of Villain Academy #5)
  • Horrid Charms (Royals of Villain Academy #4)
  • Cruel Magic (Royals of Villain Academy, #1)
  • Vortex Visions (Air Awakens: Vortex Chronicles, #1)
  • The Masterpiecers
  • Beastly: The Citadel - Semester 1
  • The Shield of Nike (War on the Gods Companion Story, #1)
  • Shadow Walker (Bloody Hearts, #1)
**JOIN MY EXCLUSIVE VIP LIST **

USA Today bestselling and Award-Winning, Kristin D. Van Risseghem grew up in a small town along the Mississippi River. Currently, Kristin lives in Minnesota with her husband and a pomsky named Elise. She also loves attending book clubs, going shopping, and hanging out with friends. She has come to realize that she absolutely

Enlighten (3 books)
  • Arrows & Angels
  • The Passage, a Dance, & a Little White Dress (Enlighten, #2)