Start by marking “The Heir” as Want to Read:
The Heir

The Heir

Offered the throne to his father's corrupt business empire, Jason Boyer only wants to walk away. He saw how it ruined his father. Determined not to be drawn into the same trap, Boyer sets a new path, but power-hungry politicians, bloodthirsty media, and shady business partners all try to force his hand.
Published March 1st 2007 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 2007)

C.
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
It is very hard for me to choose between two and three stars for this novel--I rarely enjoy political fiction, and this book is no different in that respect.

Still, at its core, this novel is a murder mystery and the political elements that should support the mystery are more like a side-plot which could have mostly been edited out.

I struggled to finish this book; while I was reading it I was a little reluctant to put it down, but whenever I had set it aside for more than an hour I found myself f
Keiki Hendrix
May 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
"When a man knows his purpose, everyone else knows as well" - the scene setting quote from the first chapter of Paul Robertson's "The Heir".

Simply put, the plot centers around Jason Boyer, a trust-baby young man happy to exist on thirty-thousand a month until the untimely death of his father which plunges him into the political world against his will.

You are immediately taken with Jason's strange wit often sarcastic and cynical, we see a daring man emerge. His wife, his brother, and his fathers
Lyndi
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Malina
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: general-fiction
This book made me think. It had a good story, intermixed with a lot of philosophical thought about happiness, the purpose of life, money, power and more. It is well written. It is clean, has a good mystery in it and causes you to think about things.
Cheryl Van Til
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading The Heir. I won't rehash the plot since every other review on Goodreads does that; but, I wanted to add that I really enjoyed the book. As much as one can enjoy a suspense/mystery novel. I think Robertson's writing style is amazing: the conversations were very natural, the descriptions the author provides move smoothly. I think the book could've used one more edit to shorten it a bit. I really like Jason and his younger brother, Eric. Didn't really get to know Katie (Jason' ...more
Chasity
I was left very unsure how to rate this book. There were parts of this book that were predictable. While that doesn't bother me the characters didn't help. I found I did't really care for any of the characters. I understand that the characters are supposed to be superficial but they needed a little something extra to help move the story along.
Tyr Astaroth
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Both the protagonist of the story and his wife felt so self-entitled and whiny that I had to stop multiple times to contemplate whether it was a good idea to continue reading the book.
Sandi McCreight
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Lots of twists makes it unpredictable. Very interesting and evolving characters. Humor is an added bonus. Great story start to finish.
Honeybee
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this e-book for free for my CBD reader. I love Christian mystery/suspense, and this one looked like a winner.

This book was completely unexpected. From the first page, the author established a distinct voice for his obviously very lost, but morally decent main character. This is one novel written in first person that really works!

You know right off the bat that the main character, Jason Boyer, is not a Christian and has no idea why he is here on earth or what he is supposed to do. He has l
Dailycheapreads
Feb 28, 2011 rated it liked it
The Heir by Paul Robertson opens at the funeral of Melvin Boyer, a wealthy businessman, politician and power broker. Jason Boyer narrates the story of his father’s demise and his own rise. He expects the estate from the father he hardly knew to be awarded to the do-good foundation, while he and his brother will live on a generous monthly stipend.

But just before his death, Melvin Boyer altered the will to name Jason the heir of all assets. At first, Jason tries to resist the inheritance. Then he
Debbie
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, mystery
"The Heir" is a suspense novel involving politics, business ethics, and a murder mystery. Jason's sarcastic humor lightened the angst of the novel as he tried to find a purpose for living and to do the right thing--even though he wasn't always sure what made a thing right.

All of the characters were likable or fascinating, though our view of them (through Jason's eyes) was rather shallow because he had shallow relationships with everyone. Jason was a cynical, sarcastic, searching character who gr
Pat
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What would you do if inherited a billion dollars from your father whom you didn't like? That is Jason Boyer's dilemma. He says he doesn't want anything to do with it, but then changes his mind. Jason Boyer had known all along his father's business empire would pass to different hands, to the foundation, which suited him just fine. The money was crooked and the power corrupt. But when an accident claims the old man's life, everyone is stunned by the unveiling of the will.

With the passing of the B
Elisabeth Hosmer
The Heir is the story of a man whose father leaves behind his fortune and empire to him after his father's questionable death. The son was a child of leisure, never expected to take over the reins of his larger than life father and is battling his own ethics and conscience after learning how is father amassed and continued to fund his fortune and power. The book is not long and as a result jumps a bit and at times is disjointed. The story was not bad but unfortunate the timeline was a bit too fa ...more
Victor Muthoka
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written in the same vein as John Grisham thrillers, minus all the sex scenes.
An inside look at the life of one who seems to have stables on to the good life after inheriting a multi billion dollar business empire, only to find out that things aren't as they seem.
He realizes that his father's empire was wrought by bribery, corruption and even murder and that he's expected to follow in the same vein.
He struggles w/ the fight between making things right and losing the fortune, or succu
Ruth
Oct 28, 2010 added it
Wasn't sure where this story was going when I first started reading it but it definately caught my couriosity as I got further into it! Jason unexpectely gets his very wealthy dad's responsibility and $$$ when a mysterious car accident kills his father. Even though Jason does not want this he is drawn into it. One by one there are people being killed. Who is the killer? Will Jason be next? What will he do to get out of this horrible life style that he is in?
About the time I thought I knew who
Trish
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This was my first "free" kindle app book and I enjoyed it. One heir inheriting a billion dollar empire from his dad who he couldn't stand. He couldn't stand him because he was a horrible father, focused on the business. A businessman that everybody knew because he was cut throat. He didn't want to be like him, so he didn't want his inherited assets. Everybody else of course tries to get a piece of the action and he is more than ever set on getting rid of the money. There were times that this boo ...more
Donna
Jul 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
As usual, the only thing that "christian fiction" seems to mean is "absolutely dreadful writing, with a brief mention of God once or twice." Throw in a half baked moral dilemma, and you have The Heir.

I couldn't tell you what was worse: The unbelievable characters -- seriously, not *ONE* character was even remotely likeable, especially not the protagonist -- or the dreadful, stilted writing style.

Thankfully, I picked it up as a free Kindle book, because if I had actually PAID for that monstrosi
Kathy
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The narrater of this book is Jason Boyer, who inherits his father's fortune when the father was killed in an auto accident. He wants no part of the inheritance or his father's political influences especially when he learns of all the shady deals that his father was involved in. He has to deal with his wife and brother and tries to make them understand why he doesn't want to be in charge of his father's empire. Then the murders begin and the suspense lasts till then end of the book. I enjoyed the ...more
Mary
Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm struggling with what to say about this one. It could have been so much better. The main character, Jason, struggling with ethics and power issues, trying to do the right thing and clean up the wrongs. This is guy is looking for the purpose and meaning of life. It's sold a a Christian novel, and there are many chances for author, Robertson to get the message in, but he dances around it and leaves you hanging at the end. Read on my Kindle, when I finished the last page, seriously, I didn't thi ...more
Giulia
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started this book SOO long ago, but realized I didn't get very far. I picked it back up (three pages in mind you) and read it very quickly. It turned out to be more of a murder/mystery book but I was fascinated. I enjoyed the lavish details Robertson included and the plot was great. The story follows Jason Bower as he inherits his father's position at his company. Jason uncovers many things that his father worked hard to keep covered. It was a quick read and very enjoyable.
Joy
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting novel of a young man who unexpectedly inherits his father's fortune and business empire.
When he discovers corruption in the business and it's many political ties, the man risks everything
(his life, marriage, job) to do what is right. Good depiction of the inner struggle to accept the
dishonest business practices of his father and his slow moves to try to right wrongs. The politicians do not come out looking good, at least the sucessful politicians.
Judy
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
You are 28 years old and inherit a billion dollars -- ill-gotten! What do you do with the $? Expose the cooperating crooks in government? What happens when people are murdered and you are the most likely suspect, even for the death of your wife whom you love? While Jason tries to find a purpose for living, will he do so behind bars? He doesn't know who the murderer is, but I guessed from the beginning. Nevertheless , I enjoyed reading it.

Dawn
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
I felt cheated by this book. I had no idea it was Christian fiction, and got a rude surprise at the end as the hero finds God and thus all his traumas and troubles are solved.

If Christian fiction is what you want, then this book may satisfy you tho overall the character development is quite flat, and the writing a bit weak. But the story does move along with all sorts of twists and turns-until one gets to the end, which was distinctly unsatisfying and far too simplistic.
Tom
Nov 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
When I first started reading, I was really into this story, probably because the main character is the same age as me. Not sure why I lost interest and didn't pick it up for a few months, but I eventually picked it back up and finished the book. The ending is definitely out of left field and surprised me. Not sure if I would recommend it to anyone - there are definitely better storytellers out there.
AJ Payne
Sep 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: novels, fiction
I like to try out the free books on my Kindle sometimes, and this was one of them.

It was not good. Was it readable? Yes, but only just.

The characters were unbelieveable and nothing they did had any motivation. It never even made sense. I almost only had to keep reading to see what other ridiculous things they would do. None of them were any deeper than a few words on a page.

Not recommended!
LadyCalico
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really got engrossed in this book and enjoyed it both as a mystery and a message. I found the protagonist sympathetic even when his temper, impulsiveness, and uncompromising all-or-nothing attitude were wreaking havoc all around him. Ultimately he learns the hard way that the answers he needs cannot be found in power, money, and love since all can fail you and even destroy you.
Adal
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it
It is fairly amusing and decently written. The story has some important gaps that do demerit the story overall. Despite having a very interesting character, the author fails in making Jason likeable and he ends up as arrogant and pretentious. I do admit that his interaction with Eric and their rules was fairly entertaining, but in the end the book ends up lacking.
QSTCMomma
Dec 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
That last murder was just one murder too many. It was a chore to finish the book especially since I knew from the second murder who the murderer was. I really didn't care about the characters and really didn't care what happened to them. They were selfish spoiled baseless and without morals all of them.
Michelle
Jul 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Interesting book of a reluctant billionaire---inherits his father's companies only to be brought into a tangled web of policital corruption, mis-managed companies and other messes! Story is about how he tries to rid himself of the fortunes, but teeters on the edge of being as corrupt/dirty/ruthless as his father was...
Virginia
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This story captivated me right off, and kept me intrigued all the way through the story. I loved getting an insider's look at a good, decent guy who is seduced by a world of high finance, glittering success, deception, and murder. At least, we THINK he's seduced. Maybe not...

A fast-paced story of intrigue, powerfully written and well plotted. You'll love it!

• The Malacca Conspiracy
  • Perfect (Claire McCall #4)
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • Violet Dawn (Kanner Lake Series #1)
  • Wounded Healer (Homeland Heroes #1)
  • Eternity's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #2)
  • Sullivan's Evidence (Carolyn Sullivan, #3)
  • Naomi and Her Daughters
  • The Hunters (Henry Parker #4.5)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Deeper Water (Tides of Truth, #1)
  • Face of Betrayal
  • Saving Sailor: A Quirky Girl, A Faithful Dog, and One Unforgettable Summer (A.J., #1)
  • The Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova, #3)
  • Hostile Intent (Devlin, #1)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • One Hit Wonder
  • Off the Record
Paul Robertson is a computer programming consultant, part-time high-school math and science teacher, and the author of The Heir. He is also a former Christian bookstore owner (for 15 years), who lives with his family in Blacksburg, Virginia.