Start by marking “Obsession” as Want to Read:
Obsession

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Obsession

Some obsessions know no boundary…not even death.

Abby had the perfect life: shopping sprees at the mall, a pool in her backyard, a dream bedroom, a BFF… That is, until her family moved to the backwoods of Wisconsin.

Abby plans to prove this backwoods dump is no place for a thirteen-year-old. So when her parents hire a carpenter and his son, Greg, she hangs out with the older
Paperback, Second, 188 pages
Published March 17th 2015 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Obsession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obsession

Tara
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book through a giveaway on this site-in exchange for an honest review.
First off, when it came in the mail, I thought the cover was gorgeous (which means a lot since ultimately I want to pass it on to my middle school students) and the size was nice (not intimidating). I must admit I'm backed up on reading some of my giveaway books but this one was read before the others-right after opening the package.
This book was very visual, I could see and feel everything. Although I must
Tanya Watt
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given Obsession for exchange of an honest review.

As I sat down to begin reading, my thirteen year old daughter sat beside me, and decided to read my book over my shoulder. As I would flip the pages on my kindle, she would complain that she wasn’t finished yet. So, I decided to do something I’ve never done with my review books, I let her read the book first.

Just so you know, my beautiful daughter does not read unless it’s on her Ipod:) She finished the book in three days, and absolutely lov
Tonja Drecker
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spine-tingling and eerie from beginning to end, this is a quick read to satisfy YA paranormal fans who love a slight amount of horror too.

Abby isn't thrilled about the family move to 'the sticks'. She'd rather be with her best friend, shopping at the mall than watching her parents attempt to turn a half-built house into a dream. But soon her social life becomes the least of her worries.

At around 180 pages, this is a quick read, but it's one that packs a punch. Abby is a thirteen-year-old girl wi
Jennifer McGill-Sadera
I liked this book on so many levels. First of all, I am a huge fan of descriptive writing and from the moment Abby Calloway pulls up to her new house and "the Honda shakes and vibrates as its tires crunch over gravel and bounce over potholes," I am hooked. As a voracious reader and writer myself, I know how difficult it is to hold back and do the hard work involved with really inviting readers into the world of a book. The tendency is to skip over some of those small elements in order to get to ...more
John Clark
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting and action-filled story. Tweens who like mysteries with a touch of the supernatural will enjoy it a lot. The tension level is very nicely honed and that will keep young readers turning pages with much eagerness. I have created a bibliographic record so libraries will be more inclined to purchase and add it to their collections.
Lorrie
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I really enjoyed reading this story. It's not a keep you on the edge of your seat suspense, but it was enough of a mystery that it kept me turning the pages. Good writing, good dialogue, good character development...an all-around good read.
A. Hunt
Dec 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
Review coming soon.
Sapphyria
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Abby’s parents buy a new house in Wisconsin, the whole family packs up their suburban Illinois life and moves to the sticks. Unhappy and alienated from her older sister, Abby is alone and depressed. When Abby’s parents hire a father/son handyman service to help finish the renovations to the new house, Abby sees this as a chance to try and convince her parents that leaving Schaumburg was a bad idea. Except, the bad idea has less to do with convincing her parents and more to do with the fathe ...more
Emily
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: moved-from-read

Obsession is a charming first book by JoAnne Keltner aimed directly at young girls facing family challenges. The heroine is 13-year-old Abby Calloway whose family has just left their home in Schaumburg and moved to a house in the backwoods of Wisconsin. Abby doesn’t take well to the move that separated her from her friends and plunked her down in a house that’s only half-built—one bathroom that is unfinished and doesn’t even have a tub, sink, or toilet.

Yet her mother is obsessed with painting mu
Stefanie
I won my signed copy of Obsession by JoAnne Keltner through GoodReads FirstReads, and I loved it! It's about 13 year old Abby moving from Illinois to Wisconsin with her family. They move into a half-finished home that Abby instantly hates. While Abby's dad and uncle are making repairs on the roof a carpenter and his 16 year old son stop to offer their services and help them finish the house. Abby hates the half-finished house and the small backwoods town and desperately wants to move back to her ...more
October
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Santacular
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads giveaway.

I didn't realize this was a young adult book. It was a quick read. Would have finished it sooner but was already reading another novel when I received Obsession in the mail.

It's a quick read because it's not particularly long. But it also was engaging, kept me wanting to know what was happening next. I love how "visual" it was written. Very descriptive. I could clearly visualize the scenes and what was happening.

I loved the typical teenager mad
Vicki Rice
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very well YA written novella. A young women and her family move into a home that the previous owners mysteriously vanish. Her family are slowly fixing up the home when a construction worker and his son volunteer to help at half his normal fee. The book goes on mysterious things happening. Abby figures that too many things are not adding up. By the end of the book, Ally figures out the mystery.
I would recommend this as an YA book appropriate for all ages.

I received this book in exchange for an
Susan May
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed it very much. It was a quick read that had me flipping the pages as fast as I could read so I could find out what happened. I am very glad I won this book. I have won other books from Goodreads, but this is my first autographed copy- and the author even personalized it for me. I thought that was great :-) I loved the mention of Portillo's in the book too!
Jody James
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Obsession becomes just that - an obsession! Once I began reading this story, even as an adult, I had difficulty putting it down. Abby's troubles and tribulations, and her responses to them, remind me vividly of what it was like to be in that stage between child and grown-up. Tweens will definitely be able to identify with Abby. The author has developed the characters and the story line so well that it is hard to believe that this is her first book. I am hoping for many more to come!
Barbara White
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My students love Obsession, what more could I ask. They're reading, they like it, and want more. My students could visualize what was occurring in the story as they read. That was a big plus. I also enjoyed the book, from the cover art to the ease of reading the story. It flows beautifully, is suspenseful, and worth the read. Congratulations of a great story. Thanks to Goodreads First Reads for a copy of Obsession. My students and I look forward to more by Jo Anne Keltner.
Caity
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from Goodreads first reads program.

This is a really fun creepy book. It is a fast but very suspenseful read and hard to put down. The main character Abby is very easy to relate to, which makes the book all the more creepy when mysterious things start happening at her new home. This is the perfect book to read before Halloween.
Christine Roberts
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book for an honest review.

The book was great! I really enjoyed the family and thought, for the most part, the sisters acted like typical sisters. I have always liked a ghost story and liked how this one was done. It was a quick read! I haven't read this author before and will definitely be checking out what else Joanne Keltner has to offer!!
Amy
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, first-reads
This was a short read, but a tightly written story. Even though it was obviously written for readers younger than I am, the story was able to keep my attention from beginning to end. There is never a dull moment and the story progressed at a rapid speed. The ending was a good one and thoroughly wrapped up.

*I received a copy of this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review*
Erika
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very interested in this novel as well as the author when I was paroozing through the current First Reads giveaways. I was absolutely appalled while reading, but certainly entertained. Keltner covers a subject many women are afraid of, having an obsessed stalker. A wonderful novel!
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-first-reads
I absolutely loved this book. It was a very quick read that had me on the edge of my seat! Great story! I look forward to more from JoAnne Keltner!

I won this through the first reads giveaways on Goodreads, thank you!
Stephanie
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, 2014
I liked this book, I wanted more from Debbie but everything unfolded in a great way - I saw half of the end...

It kept me engaged and I wished it was longer...
Noreen Fredriksen
I won this book from goodreads. I loved this book. The first page caught my interest and I wasn't able to put it down until I finished it. It is very well written.
Sandy
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review.

Here it is.
I really loved this book and would highly recommend it, if your looking for a really good suspense book.
Kristi Meyer
I received this book in the giveaway. Loved it. Short but kept you interested throughout. Loved all the specific details she used throughout the book.

First signed book I have ever had!!
Alaina Maxam
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a very good read. this is a mystery that moves along real fast. I loved the way the ending.
Katie
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Won in a Goodreads giveaway.

I read this book in about an hour. It was good but more details would've made it even better.

It's a book that I would gladly Re-read though
Anthonia
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the story, the plot, and the way it came into play. Very good story well written, i enjoyed reading it.
Alyn
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Abby moves to Wisconsin with her family and she hates it there. She is stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no friends and a family that is more focused on what they want instead of what Abby wants. Abby is determined to do anything to get her parents to move back to Illinois. One of them is befriending an older boy, Greg, who is helping his dad fix Abby's new house. She realizes he's a total creep and rebuffs him. Abby soon finds herself trying to avoid Greg and solving a mystery about the f ...more
Cheyenne
Personally, I only liked this at a 2 star level, but I recognize that this a good, decently written book with a solid, if not light and fast paced, plot. It kept me interested enough to keep going and was somewhat enjoyable. So I'm going to give this a diplomatic 3 stars.
« previous 1 3 next »
GOOD REVIEWS: Free Book in Exchange for Review 5 62 Apr 15, 2014 06:53AM
  • Their Life's Work: The Brotherhood of the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers, Then and Now
  • What Happens the Day After?
  • Painted Black
  • All the Devils Here
  • Standing in the Whale's Jaw
  • The Abyss: A Journey With Jack The Ripper
  • The Wrong Dog Dream: A True Romance
  • Daring to Trust the Boss
  • The Game Called Revolution
  • Paradox: The Back Road to Wonderland
  • Conquest Earth (Tarizon Trilogy #3)
  • Hawke's Point
  • Tongwan City
  • The Prodigal Sun: A Novel
  • An Unlikely Truth
  • A Life Told from the Cloud
  • Sons of Abraham: A Candid Conversation about the Issues That Divide and Unite Jews and Muslims
  • Dead and Moaning in Las Vegas
JoAnne Keltner is a novelist and freelance editor. She has published YA titles Obsession (Musa Publishing, 2013 ed.), Goth Girl Virgin Queen (Solstice Publishing, 2015), and Possessed (2019, a rework of Goth Girl Virgin Queen and to be part of the Pagan Light series). She currently lives in Raleigh, North Carolina, where she enjoys gardening, tending to her chickens, and spending time with family. ...more