Start by marking “In the Shadow of Angels” as Want to Read:
In the Shadow of Angels

In the Shadow of Angels

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Updated cover art for ASIN:B00UNZR79O

Devin Bryant is a young accident attorney whose star is on the rise. His success has afforded him a beautiful house, a fancy car, a gorgeous wife, and a fast track to partnership. After closing another high profile case, Devin goes out one Saturday night to celebrate with friends and his wife, Bethany. But, Devin has a secret.

Jez Anders
Published March 13th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Shadow of Angels

Steve
I received this from Audiobook Boom in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't like this one at all, mostly because I hated the characters, every single one. Not a single one had any redeeming qualities, and each did everything wrong because of their skewed perspectives.

Narration was okay, but nothing special.
Eric Reeves
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed listening to this book. Not really so much a murder mystery...more of a "how to get away with murder" comedy. Comedy isn't the right word, but I'll go into this later.

The story revolves mostly around a single night and the activities of several main characters. It starts out simple enough with a hustler, her partner, a local therapist, a lawyer and his wife, and the lawyers two friends. Think of this book as a hustle gone wrong, but not just a little...this is a hustle gone wron
Charles Parkhurst
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I sat down expecting to read a couple of chapters after dinner and the next thing I knew it was 2am and I had finished it.

I really liked how the story was told from different points of view with each one adding more detail. Loose ends from the beginning, which I had totally forgotten about, were all pulled back together at the end.

I don't normally read this type of book, but I really enjoyed this one.
Trish Murphy
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, I loved how the story unfolded for each character in the book and how the they were all connected...This book kept me entertained and wanting to know how it would end.
Patrick S.
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, e-books
This book is an attempt to have a modern take on a noir tale. It's way too smutty and the very start of it which lends the title to it has nothing to do with anything. The characters are ok but kind of one dimensional. The lead up to the end could have an interesting twist but it kind of just falls apart there too. Not much to say but I would skip this one if I could. Final Grade - D
Simona Nielsen
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-horror
Audiobook: 4 STARS (narrator Neal Arango - 5 STARS)

Lies, secrets and dead bodies

In the shadow of Angels is a very intense, dark and suspenseful thriller and it defenitely had me sitting on the edge throughout the story. The story begins in the past and then revolves about one Saturday night where the protagonist Devan goes out for a night on the town with friends and his wife.

During the night we go through a lot of heart pounding supense with creepy characters and creepy language. Secrets are r
Carrie
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, honesty - The cover and title didn't really catch my interest or create high expectations. When I found out the promiscuous girl was named Jezebel, I wasn't hopeful either. BUT - the description doesn't really do it justice I really liked this book!

My favorite aspect of the book was that all of the characters are pretty bad people and pretty unlikeable. Those are my favorite.

EDIT: (it looks like part of my original review didn’t post)

Sadly, I can’t say much about this because it would really
Steve Caldwell
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This dark and twisted mystery/horror/comedy Hybrid will keep you on your toes pretty much from the start trying to guess who did what. This has so many twists and turns it will keep you guessing until the end, which has a satisfying payoff. Great characters, not entirely sympathetic, are scattered throughout, and the plotting is well paced. Neal Arango does a great job narrating, really bringing the characters to a life of their own.I would definitely recommend this book.

I was given a copy of th
Charles Parkhurst

I don't normally read this type of book, but I really enjoyed this one.
Rob Acheson
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and enjoyable.

I found it to be an interesting mix of dark humor and unfortunate circumstances, where the characters keep falling deeper into a situation outside their ability to effectively control. The dialog was a bit campy at times, but that is part of the charm.
Shelly
Jul 06, 2016
Jackie Divine
Jul 28, 2016
Savitha
rated it did not like it
May 21, 2017
Nov 05, 2017
Kim McDonough
is currently reading it
Dec 26, 2017
GOOD REVIEWS: Looking for reviews of a crime fiction novel 3 20 Mar 19, 2015 03:02AM
  • Take a Rifle From a Dead Man
  • So Shall I Reap
  • All Manner of Dark Things: Collected Bits and Pieces
  • Penelope's Plight
  • Between Dreams (The Pendant Series, #1)
  • Dark Summoner (The Relic Keeper, #1)
  • Heart and Souls
  • This Love
  • Love in the Time of Zombies
  • The Prophecy (The Fulfillment Series #1)
  • Skin Paper Stone
  • Frozen Flames (The Genesis Files, #1)
  • The Escape (Gumshoes & Grifters, #0.5)
  • Twisted: A Tracy Turner Murder Mystery Novel (Tracy Turner Mysteries Series Book 1)
  • Forever Grace (Ever After, #2)
  • White Child (Tijaran Tales, #1)
  • Buddhism: A Complete Introduction
  • Prince of Light (Prince of Light, #1)
Donnie J Burgess was born in Roseburg, Oregon in 1974. His first novel, In the Shadow of Angels, was released in March 2015. This thriller has been well received, earning a 5 star ranking from Reader's Favorite and maintaining 4.8/5 ranking on both Amazon and on Goodreads. His second release, Good Intentions -part one of the 'Brian's Secret' story line- released in November, 2015.

Burgess is cur