Start by marking “Murder by Manicure (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Murder by Manicure (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #3)

Murder by Manicure

(Bad Hair Day Mystery #3)

Hairstylist Marla Shore joins a fitness club to get in shape but discovers a dead body instead of an exercise routine. Jolene Myers—a client at Marla’s salon—has drowned beneath the frothing waters of the whirlpool. When Homicide Detective Dalton Vail determines Jolene's death was no accident, Marla decides to give her deductive skills a workout and help solve the case.

J
Published March 24th 2015 by Orange Grove Press (first published July 31st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Murder by Manicure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder by Manicure

Start your review of Murder by Manicure (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #3)
FangirlNation
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hair stylist Marla Shore joins a health club in Murder by Manicure by Nancy J. Cohen, and at her first night there, she walks in on her hair client Jolene Myers in a heated argument with Cookie Calcone, a virulent activist against product testing on animals. Jolene works as a researcher for a chemical company, and Cookie accuses her of cruelty to animals in her work. Announcing plans to get a massage and then relax in the whirlpool, Jolene walks off and Marla goes to explore the gym. But as she ...more
AudioBookReviewer
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original Murder by Manicure audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Trouble follows Marla Shore wherever she goes! Trying out a fitness club trial membership she discovers Jolene dead in a whirlpool. Trouble always finds Marla with bodies popping up, hidden identities and playing with fire, so to speak! Marla’s relationship with Dalton takes a series of hilarious turns when she agrees to be “engaged” to Arnie and Dalton introduces his young daughter to Marla. First
Georgiann Hennelly
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Marla Shore is a Hairstylist. She decides to use a thirty day free pass at the local Health club to get in shape. But when she over hears an arguement in the locker room between Jolene Myers- a client of hers and another women. Than finds Jolene drowned in the whirlpool. Det Dalton Vail determines Jolene was murdered . Marla decides to try to help solve the case.
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

Mary Ann Jacobs does a superb job voicing these characters with all the sass and sarcasm that is needed, and makes a great story even more wonderful to listen to.

Read full review in the 2017 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Emmy
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Would you recommend this audiobook to a friend? If so, why?
It's one of the better cozies I've come across. It's longer and holds more water.

How would you have changed the story to make it more enjoyable?
There were too many plot holes. Or maybe not accurate explanations.

I'm not an expert, but it's not clear how it was determined Jolene had "definitely" been drugged with roofies via the capsules and not through dissolving in a drink.

A car blows up and there's no ATF or othe government agency inv
Michelle VanDaley
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
My review is based on the Audiobook. This is the first of The Bad Hair Day Mysteries that I have listened/read so they can be read as a standalone. I was bothered at how loose lipped the cop is, they do not divulge information so casually. The lead Marla is not as likeable as I would like her to be. She is pretty superficial and nosey. Getting involved in things she really shouldnt be getting involved in. More than once she was given confidential information from the police and she immediately t ...more
Lori
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Another really good addition to the series. This is a perfect book (or series) when you want a mystery that is a bit lighter and fun but still interesting with plenty of twist to keep you guessing. Just as entertaining, engaging and enjoyable as the previous books in the series.

Mystery, a touch of romance, humor and a lot of fun. Just sit back and enjoy.

Although this is the 3rd book in the series it can definitely be read as a standalone.

Broward County is my old stomping ground so I could pictu
Stephanie (Between the Coverz)
An entertaining, engaging and comical mystery!

Murder by Manicure is a fast-paced, short comical mystery. As a light mystery, you get the enjoyment of a mystery tossed in with some humor and charm. The story is full of suspense and unplanned explorations. I thought this book was unique and amusing with some unforeseen twists. This is the third book in the series but is definitely a standalone. Not having read the previous books in the series, this book did not have the feeling that I missed anyt
Anne
Mar 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was originally written at least 15 years ago and I must have originally read it very close to it's publication date. I guess my tastes have changed because I have read every book in this series so I must have originally liked this book. After listening to it now (at the age of almost 55) I would not have bothered to get the next book because I found Marla to be pretty darn unlikable and superficial. Everything and everyone was judged by their appearance.

The mystery aspect was fine, but
Kitty_ranma
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in this series, but it's the first one I've read/listened to. It can be read alone but I wouldn't recommend it, at least if you're like me I get frustrated when things are mentioned from the other books it can be confusing. I can't wait for more of this, I want to say more about this story but I absolutely hate spoilers.
The narrator brings the story to life.
Reasons I enjoyed this audio book:
Wonderful characters, Page-turner, Great world building, Unpredictable, Original,
Leslie Fisher
This is a fun cozy mystery. I've read the previous two books in the series and enjoyed them as well. I love seeing the world through the eyes of a hair stylist. Its fun to hear all of Marla's thought about how people's hairstyles flatter them (or don't). Its such a different perspective for me, which is why I think its fun. The mystery was good (though I think I preferred the previous two slightly more). I listened to the Audible audio version of the book and I really enjoyed the narrator, Mary ...more
Becky Tatar
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the others. No pretense at all on Marla's part that she isn't investigating the death of Jolene, then Sam, then Cookie. And who is Hortense, who wants to be called Jill? And where does this all fit in with Det. Vail? What was a little irritating, and I know that Marla runs a hair salon, is EVERY time she meets a new character, she immediately goes into either inner or verbal critique mode on the other person's hair, makeup, etc. Folks, this is not Fashion Police. I almost felt as ...more
April
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Murder by Manicure
: Nancy J. Cohen

Book three in this cozy mystery series. The characters are out to solve a murder but along the way we get some interesting twists and turns. Add in romance and you get a fun listen.

The narration was well done. The characters were well portrayed by Mary Ann Jacobs.

"I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review."
Sabrina
Apparently Marla just can't go long without getting mixed up in a mystery. When someone drowns at her new gym she can't resist trying to solve the murder. I enjoyed figuring out the Slate/Tesla mystery but the flirting between Marla and Detective Vail was a little cringeworthy.
I received this audiobook at no-cost from Audiobookworm Promotions. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.
Cheryl
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time reading this author and I enjoyed it. The main character is Marla, a hair dresser who is kind of going with a police detective. She gets involved in figuring out a murder of a client/ friend of hers. They way she goes about it is different from the norm and kind of funny in places. I think I figured it out about the same time she did. I look forwaed to reading about more of her adventures
Julia David
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Marla and the crew are back. I am really liking this series. When Marla decides she needs to get in better shape, she meets one of her clients at the club. All of a sudden, her client is dead and of course Marla can't let it go. Not only is she running a business, she has a fake fiancée, helping Dalton with his daughter and trying to solve several murders. Where does she find the time?
Lynda
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found it very entertaining. The characters are very interesting and well written. A hairdresser teams up with police detective friend to solve a murder of a client. This fast moving tale is full of suspense as unplanned misadventures add to the mystery, they're trying to solve. I will be checking out more books in this series.
Lynn Zagrod
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this audiobook free for an honest review. This book has a similar theme to the previous books, however, there are some very interesting twists that will keep you on your toes. This book is neither a romance, a thriller, or suspense, it is all three and more. The narrator did a great job with the characters that only enhance the already great story.
Charlene
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this cozy series! Lots of interesting quirky characters and a really fun storyline. Lots of twists and turns in this cozy mystery. The author keeps you guessing right up until the end of the story! Marla gets into some messes and always manages to figure out whodunit! I am starting the next book on the series right now! Thank you Nancy J. Cohen for writing such a fun series!
Suzan
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This is book 3 in the Bad Hair Day Mysteries series. This was another great mystery solved by Marla Shore. I enjoyed the story and really thought Mary Ann Jacobs did a wonderful job of narrating the story. This was a gift with the understanding that I would leave a honest review.
Woody
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Free download from Bookfunnel Murder Mystery week 19th to 26th August 2017

I Loved the writing style. This is book 3 in the series. Lots going on with the plots and subplots.
Entertaining and packed story. Better than the average cozy mystery. Very Enjoyable read.
Sherry
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read for free from the author thru book funnel. I loved every minute of it, with Marlas no nonsense attitude towards her life and solving mysteries. Trouble follows Hair Stylist Marla Shore wherever she goes!
Kathy Fong
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a typical cozy mystery with murders that didn't have gruesome details. I didn't understand a few of the Jewish terms but it was a fun read.
Trish
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Did much care for this one.
Robin Lyn
The clues were too obvious. Still this was a pleasant quick read. I would give it a higher rating except I couldn't stand Marla, the main character.
Connie
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
MURDER BY MANICURE by Nancy J Cohen is 303 pages long in paperback form. This is #3 in A Bad Hair Day Mystery.

Brief Description:

Since beauty is her business, salon owner Marla Shore figures she can surely rid herself of a few excess pounds of holiday flab without joining a gym. Unfortunately, daily walks with her slowpoke poodle fail to whittle her waistline, so Marla reluctantly gives in to a trial membership at Perfect Fit Sports Club. But she never dreamed that slimming down would mean runnin
Jen Selinsky
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Murder by Manicure" is a modern-day mystery that centers around a woman by the name of Marla Shore, who is a hairdresser at a salon. When an acquaintance of hers is murdered at the local fitness club where she is a member, Marla decides to get involved in the case, much to the dislike of her detective boyfriend, Dalton Vail. With many suspects, such as an animal rights activist, a city councilman, and employees at the fitness club, can Marla help Dalton solve the case while dealing with the per ...more
Christine P
Another good read by Nancy Cohen. I'm growing fonder of all the characters in this series. This time Marla heads to the gym to work off some excess weight. Of course she finds herself immersed in another murder. This one covers some crazy characters from the health club and beyond including a cross dresser, animal rights activist, and a prescription drug ring. When someone from Arnie's past shows up he asks her to pretend to be his fiance, will she lose Detective Vail, or will they finally get c ...more
Jane Firebaugh
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Murder by Manicure is a fun little mystery! Marla Shore, the main character is a hairstylist who just can't seem to not get involved in solving murders, of course it probably doesn't help that she's dating a policeman. There's a sprinkling of Yiddish for fun and a great lokshen kugel recipe with pineapple. Yummy! All in all, it's a fun book and I very much enjoyed it. I'll be buying the rest of the series for sure.
Cary
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 and I read this quickly. I think this series is growing on me. I had decided on 2 possibilities for murderer and one was correct. I really think the mystery is incidental but without it how could Marla be so obnoxiously involved in the detection business of the mystery? The relationships are really what is drawing me.
Audiobooks: Cozy Mystery Audiobook New Release 1 11 May 11, 2017 10:01AM

• Eleven on Top (Stephanie Plum, #11)
  • Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon, #1)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • Coconut Layer Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #25)
  • Dangerous Sanctuary (FBI: Special Crimes Unit #3)
  • Plum Lovin' (Stephanie Plum, #12.5)
  • On Strike for Christmas
  • "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)
  • The Combination
  • Mrs. Malory and Death By Water
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
  • Crime and Poetry (Magical Bookshop, #1)
  • Verse and Vengeance (Magical Bookshop, #4)
  • Pros and Cons (Fox and O'Hare, #0.5)
  • The Light of the Falling Stars
  • Not a Creature Was Purring (Paws and Claws Mystery, #5)
Nancy J. Cohen writes the Bad Hair Day Mysteries featuring South Florida hairstylist Marla Vail. Titles in this series have been named Best Cozy Mystery by Suspense Magazine, won a Readers' Favorite Gold Medal and a RONE Award, earned first place in the Chanticleer International Book Awards and third place in the Arizona Literary Awards. Nancy's instructional guide, "Writing the Cozy Mystery," was ...more

Bad Hair Day Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Permed to Death (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #1)
  • Hair Raiser (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #2)
  • Body Wave (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #4)
  • Highlights to Heaven (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #5)
  • Died Blonde (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #6)
  • Dead Roots (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #7)
  • Perish by Pedicure (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #8)
  • Killer Knots (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #9)
  • Shear Murder (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #10)
  • Hanging by a Hair  (The Bad Hair Day Mysteries, #11)