Start by marking “Of Fire and Stars (Of Fire and Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Of Fire and Stars (Of Fire and Stars, #1)

Of Fire and Stars (Of Fire and Stars #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  7,981 Ratings  ·  1,750 Reviews
Betrothed since childhood to the prince of Mynaria, Princess Dennaleia has always known what her future holds. Her marriage will seal the alliance between Mynaria and her homeland, protecting her people from other hostile lands. But Denna has a secret. She possesses an Affinity for fire—a dangerous gift for the future queen of a kingdom where magic is forbidden.

Now, Denna
Published November 22nd 2016 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Of Fire and Stars, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Audrey Coulthurst There will be a sequel - the deal was just announced today. :)
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
261 books — 1,439 voters
YA Novels of 2016
1,234 books — 9,567 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Nov 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, arc, 2016
Let's start with the positive: there's an LGBT romance. And also there's... er, nope, sorry, that's all I got for you.

Of Fire and Stars is a mind-numbingly generic YA fantasy novel, and the attempts to spice it up with a lesbian romance just don't work. Take that aspect out and you are left with nonexistent world-building, poorly-developed characters, immature writing and just extreme boredom. If you've read a few fantasy novels, this one adds absolutely nothing but paper to the pile.

In this boo
Meg
Jul 27, 2015 marked it as to-read
"when she falls in love with his rogueish horse-training sister instead" sign me the fuck up
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
The book's blurb - a promise of a lesbian romance, sounded intriguing. Unfortunately, the romance was the only halfway decent thing about this nook.

The complaints about this book are pretty similar across the board, from the other reviews I've read, and I agree wholeheartedly.

- There was no world building. We are immediately plunged into kingdoms and political situations without knowing what the hell we're getting into. Why is she betrothed to marry someone? Is there magic in this world? Why is
Emma Giordano
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK SO SO MUCH. I am 100% filming a video review because WOW more people need to read this story.

If you're looking for a fantasy novel with an LGBT+ relationship, I would highly recommend this one! I can't personally speak for the representation, but to my interpretation, this world's view of sexuality is extremely balanced. I feel the best way I can describe it is by this: The problem is NEVER that these two girls have fallen in love with each other and that's bad because they are
Sana
DNF @ 31%

I. CAN'T. DO. IT. ANYMORE. I. FUCKING CAN'T.

THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST SLOWEST BOOKS WITH THE MOST BORING PLOT AND ABSOLUTELY SHITTY WORLD BUILDING. IT IS SO FUCKING SLOW, I LITERALLY AM WILLING TO READ FIFTY SHADES OVER THIS.

I'VE BEEN READING THIS FOR ABOUT A MONTH. A FUCKING MONTH. I NEVER TAKE A FUCKING MONTH TO FINISH A 400 PAGE BOOK. I HAVE NO ENTHUSIASM TO READ THE WORDS WRITTEN IN THIS BOOK. I CANNOT FORCE MYSELF TO TURN ANOTHER PAGE BECAUSE IT IS SO FUCKING BORING.

THE MAGIC ISN
Cait • A Page with a View
Feb 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016-arcs, ya-fantasy
Well this might be my most disappointing book of 2016. I was SO excited to see a YA fantasy book where the princess gets the girl, but that's just about the only thing this book has going for it. Actually, even that fell short.

Dennaleia is engaged to a prince in a kingdom that would persecute her for her magic, but she falls in love with his sister Amaranthine instead. Awesome premise, but so poorly executed. The book jumps into the story without much character development or worldbuilding, and
Whitney Atkinson
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really want to get more into f/f books, but nearly all of them are contemporary, which I'm really bored with atm. I picked this up with mahana (hi binch) and read it somewhat on audiobook and somewhat physically, and I really enjoyed it! As a horse owner I was really happy that this centered around a lot of discussion about riding horses and training horses, so it had my attention there. I also loved the character dynamics, the breaking of gender roles, and the general rebellion of the charact ...more
Ben Alderson
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. I LOVED the romance between the two princesses! I literally DIED for the descriptions!

Also i loved the magic in this fantasy novel, so unique and easy to understand. WONDERFUL

WAY to much 'horse' talk for me personally, but thats my only issue with the story!

OH PLEASE I NEED A BOOK TWO
Nov 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Of Fire and Stars had the potential to be good as a YA fantasy with a lesbian romance, but it all fell pretty flat. Unfortunately, the execution didn’t hold up. There’s a huge lack of world-building and character development. And the biggest problem for me was how a lot of it just didn’t make sense. The plot doesn’t add up. Plus, the adult characters are all very stupid for some odd reason.

Dennaleia, known as Denna, has been promised to the prince of Mynaria where magic is forbidden. But Denna
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*4.5/5 stars

I will have many more thoughts on this book when I do my video review, but for now I just want to say that my heart feels like it is glowing. I put the book down 10 minutes ago and I haven't been able to stop feeling so happy about the way this story developed and the way that Mare and Denna's relationship evolved.

If you are a huge fan of the dislike-to-love relationship trope, I would highly recommend this book. If you love horses, you would love this book. If you love QUEER FANTASY
emma
1.5/5

Ah, it’s good to be back. I must like writing reviews nearly as much as I love to read. I’d never realized that.

Anyway, let’s get into this book. I’m disappointed, yes, but not slump-worthily-so. I received this book in an Owlcrate, and while it sounded liiiiiit and looks even prettier, it hadn’t really been on my radar beforehand. So, no, I didn’t like this. But who has the time to be surprised by me not liking books?

The premise of this guy is sick.
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, fantasy
boy was this dull.
Epic Reads
Love this book so much!
Trina (Between Chapters)
I mostly enjoyed this book. I thought the romance would be the only place where this book shone, but not only was the romance very swoony, we also had a pretty intriguing mystery, and the fantasy element surpassed my expectations.

I had no trouble understanding the world building, but I do think it could have been more developed. My biggest gripe with it is that it strongly felt like the first installment in a series instead of a standalone. Although this story wraps up, it felt like we were give

“But some things are stronger than years of lessons.
The draw of fire.
The longing for freedom.
Or a girl on a red horse.”

This was a YA fantasy story about a princess with a fire affinity, who fell in love with her fiancée’s sister.

Dennaleia was a strong character and it was easy to see why she was so scared of the truth about her abilities getting out when everyone seemed
Ashley Nuckles
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even thought it took a while for the book to really get good for me, I still loved it!

I really enjoyed that there was definitely no instalove involved, Denna and Mare's relationship was slow moving and slow to start and I really loved that, especially because it was technically against the rules for Denna to be with anyone but her betrothed at this point.

The politics interspersed throughout the book really gave it a good overall balance between romance, action, and info-dumps, so I was never t
Sonja ✧ Badass Wanderer ✧
❝Every time she looked at me, I felt like the only person in all the kingdoms. She lit me from within.❞

[Review to Come]
Emma
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Love should feel like the first time you gallop a horse flat out. It should make your blood sing. It should terrify you. And some part of you should recognize it the first time you meet the other person’s eyes.”

3.5 stars.

I've been hearing mixed reviews of this book all year, so I thought it was finally time to check it out for myself.

This isn't a perfect book. But I did enjoy it. Essentially, it's a collection of YA fantasy tropes: arranged marriages, forbidden romance, shadowy conspiracy g
 ■©atherine■
Apr 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cant-wait
About a future queen who falls in love with her fiancé's sister.

GAME ON! Just wow.
Lauren
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This book was everything I hoped it would be, and more.

I can't even put into words what this book means to me. I want to hug it and never let go. Put it in my pocket and take it everywhere with me. Tell everyone I know to read it.

I just.... my heart, guys. My heart is ready to burst.
Jodi Meadows
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book! I'm not sure if this is a standalone or part of a larger story, but I think it works either way. This novel definitely does stand on its own (though I wouldn't say no to a companion!).

The writing is quite nice, the characters complex, and the worldbuilding very interesting!
Sana
Honestly, more like Of Fire and Horses because the stars thing was just bad (and there are a lot of horses in this book).

Despite seemingly the only sensible adult with a fully-functioning brain being killed way off in the beginning, I was invested in the book mainly because there was a subtlety to it all. However, as soon as the half mark hit, the book just escalated its pace and ended up falling flat.

The political intrigue is laughable at best, the secondary characters get sidelined in favor o
Taneika
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
The romance was beautiful, everything else kinda fell flat
I WANTED TO LOVE THIS SO BADLY :(

Liked the book overall!
Danika at The Lesbrary
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was everything I wanted from it and more. A delight to read. I want to give it as gifts and peddle it to strangers. It warms my heart that this book is in the world for queer teen girls. Do you like Frozen but wish it was more gay? Of Fire and Stars. Perfect if you like fantasy or court politics or trying to find out who the betrayer is or magic or starcrossed lovers or grudging-friendship-turns-into-love or... Honestly, I just fell head over heels for this. All the best part of Tamora Pier ...more
Book Roast
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed it, was refreshingly easy to read, felt noncommittal and beautiful. It was a bit more horse related than I'd personally prefer but if you love horses or horse riding this is going to be awesome.
lov2laf
"Of Fire and Stars" is a really excellent YA fantasy f/f read. Adult book writers could take some lessons from the slow burn and chemistry that Coulthurst created between her two leading ladies and is one of the reasons I still read YA. YA authors just often do it better.

As fantasy stories go, it's a combination of an alternate Earth, Medieval-like royalty and certain people having an affinity with one of the six gods that includes Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. Those with the affinity can use the
Paulo Ratz
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ai que história divertidaaaaa.

Pra quem não sabe, e deveria saber porque são poucos os livros que ficam populares com essa temática, Of Fire and Stars é uma fantasia com personagens lésbicas (ou bi, esse detalhe não é bem explorado). E já fazia mais de 1 ano que eu não lia uma protagonista lésbica. A culpa pode ser minha? Pode ser sim, mas quantos livros desse tipo estão sendo esfregados na nossa cara todo dia pelas editoras? Isso mesmo, quase nenhum.

Outro ponto que preciso levantar é o rating: 3
Gabry
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Non capisco perché ci siano così tante recensioni negative o di persone che non l’hanno finito! A me è piaciuto veramente moltissimo: un libro in cui finalmente c’è una storia LGBT fra due ragazze, senza instalove ma con un rapporto che evolve nel tempo. Magia, misteri, corti e ribellioni: tutto ciò che amo dei libri fantasy! Bellissimo.
YA Buddy Readers'...: Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst - Restarting May 1st 2018 36 89 May 20, 2018 12:31AM
Addicted to YA: Of Fire and Stars 5 103 Apr 19, 2017 06:54PM
All About YA : March 2017 BOTM: Of Fire and Stars 1 29 Feb 28, 2017 06:58AM
A court of books ...: * How is your reading going? 6 30 Jan 13, 2017 06:43AM
  • As I Descended
  • A Darkly Beating Heart
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • When the Moon Was Ours
  • Beast
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Timekeeper (Timekeeper, #1)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • Vassa in the Night
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Not Your Sidekick (Sidekick Squad, #1)
  • Long May She Reign
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
  • 27 Hours (The Nightside Saga, #1)
  • Girl Mans Up
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • Fire and Heist
Audrey Coulthurst writes YA books that tend to involve magic, horses, and kissing the wrong people. Her debut novel, Of Fire and Stars, was published on November 22, 2016 by Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins. When she’s not dreaming up new stories, she can usually be found painting, singing, or on the back of a horse.

Audrey has a Master’s in Writing from Portland State University, is a member of SCBWI, an
More about Audrey Coulthurst

Of Fire and Stars (2 books)
  • Of Ice and Shadows (Of Fire and Stars, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“But some things are stronger than years of freedom.
The draw of fire.
A longing for freedom.
Or a girl on a red horse.”
14 likes
“Partnerships can be built, but love can't be coaxed. Love should feel like the first time you gallop a horse flat out. It should make your blood sing. It should terrify you. And some part of you should recognize it the first time you meet the other person's eyes.” 13 likes