Start by marking “Check, Please!” as Want to Read:
Check, Please!

Check, Please!

(Check, Please!)

Eric Bittle—former Georgia junior figure skating champion, vlogger extraordinaire, and amateur pâtissier—is starting his freshman year playing hockey at the prestigious Samwell University in Samwell, Massachusetts. And it’s basically nothing like co-ed club hockey back in the South. For one?

There’s checking.

It’s a story about hockey and friendship and bros and trying to f
ebook
Published August 8th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Check, Please!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Check, Please!

Teahouse by EmirainStarfighter Chapter 2 by Hamlet MachineThe Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal by E.K. WeaverAlways Raining Here by BellArtifice by Alex Woolfson
Great M/M Webcomics
70 books — 285 voters
Nimona by Noelle StevensonHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Volume 1 by Thomas Siddellxkcd by Randall MunroeHyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
Webcomics
475 books — 223 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Check, Please!
may ➹
did I read this because I miss my Foxhole Court sports gays? no
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Y'all, guess who once spent all day binging this online webcomic ONLY TO FIND OUT IT'S NOT COMPLETE YET? I am a fool. Please send help. I can't wait for the next update.

Also please go read this webcomic because it's one of my favorite things ever.

(The full (yet incomplete!) webcomic is free online, btw! This rating is listed for one of the graphic adaptations, but really I'm rating the webcomic as a whole.)
Silvia
Some of my favorite stories feature a good amount of angst, moral greyness and Bad Things, and I honestly don't think I could ever give that up.
But sometimes you need to immerse yourself in a world that's positive and that shows you that good things can exist, and not everything has to be complicated (irl and in literature) to be good.

Check, Please! is the book comic that has reminded me of this.

There is only one key word here: healthy.
This is by no means set in a fictional world where Bad Thing
Anna
So, y'all. If someone had told me in January that one of the most wonderful graphic novels I had ever read involved a team of hockey players at a small (fictional) Massachusetts liberal arts college? Told from the point of view of a first-year player who's from Georgia and loves baking pies? I probably would have laughed you out of the room.

... and then I read the webcomic.

It is my new favorite thing. I love everything about this thing. Including its canon gay couple, the casual diversity of i
First Second Books
I got the first volume of this at SPX this weekend and read it on the subway in to the office this morning -- and I'm having to exercise restraint to do work right now instead of starting to read part two online! ...more
Iris

this was... very possibly the weirdest thing I have ever read, and I didn't understand half of hat was going on, but yet somehow I loved this a LOT
Toni FGMAMTC
Updated. Bitty and Jack are the cutest. I love how everyone is supporting them. The fine jar is funny. I love this comic. :)

Update. I just read the latest additions, and I love it more and more. It's awesome how everyone is still so involved even though some have graduated. Jack & Bitty are adorable. The diner scene is great. I'll continue to follow this comic. ♥︎

I'm in love with this comic. I've read seasons 1, 2, the outtakes/extras and what's up so far for 3. The characters are so cute and
Jerry
I read this religiously! There is so much packed into each panel of comic. And boy has she done her research on Hockey and New England. Very slow build to the main characters relationship. So much detail that leaves clues about deeper meaning. I found it on Tumblr and now I support the artist on Patreon.
Regsly
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
**Read for #LgbtqMonth, prompt: free, & Jordan Ford's Summer Reading Challenge 2020. Prompt: 21. A book written by an author of color**

The perfect blend of adorable, angsty, right in the feels and funny. Full of hockey and bro stuff, as expected, followed by pies, friendship, loyalty, love, shenanigans and college stress.

If this was on ao3 the tags would be:
- college au
- hockey au
- found family
- bros being bros
- enemies to friends to lovers
- lots of baking
- where are all the pies coming from
- se
Nadja
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ongoing webseries. Cute and adorable, sometimes a bit confusing because the episodes are more everyday moments than a linear story. But it warms your heart and brings many smiles.

☆ SEASON 1: FRESHMAN YEAR - 3 stars
☆ SEASON 2: SOPHOMORE YEAR - 3.5 stars
☆ SEASON 3: JUNIOR YEAR - 4 stars
☆ SEASON 4: SENIOR YEAR - awaiting !
Julie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't know what to expect from Check, Please! at all, besides hockey and cuteness. That's exactly what I got! This story is completely adorable. I love that Bitty bakes! I love the concept of him being a vlogger and starting off a lot of the episodes talking to his viewers explaining what is going on in his life. It makes for a very easy and fun storytelling device.
The short parts where they teach you some hockey slang were a super enjoyable extra to it all.

I hope this story updates soon!
Julia
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: webcomic-or-ff
I can't believe yet it ended, this was one of my very first webcomics ...more
Hollie (Hollieblog)
So I've caught up. It's amazing. I cried.

Please read this comic!
chan ☆
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, sequential-art
god, I LOVE this. but it's not finished yet so i'm not going to give an official review.

but if you like precious cinnamon rolls, sports, bromance, and GAY romance you should read this. it's amazing.
casey
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
it's sooo adorable, i can't stop smiling!!! ...more
mags
I just want y'all to know that I have literally never loved something as much as I love this webcomic. I'm sitting here with the biggest, cheesiest grin on my face. This thing is too pure. Bitty is the most adorable character ever and reminds me of Ned from Pushing Daisies so much. I love me some pie-baking boys.

And hello, yes, as somebody who is an actual avid hockey fan, can I just take a moment to screech loudly for all the real-life hockey references and the accuracy of the "Hockey Shit" se
Anna
another ongoing webcomic, except this one has hockey!!!

i'm not rating it because it's ongoing but it's very likely a 4 star comic
Kara
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't have a hard copy of this, but I feel like a webcomic is as valid as a graphic novel, so I'm counting it on goodreads. (Also I'd love a trade paperback of this, like Nimona!)

I read this all in one sitting last night while also half-watching The 100, so I had some serious emotional whiplash. It's SO GOOD, so funny and cute and full of feelings. I love all the characters, but especially Bitty and Jack. When I got to the end I kept hitting Next thinking it was a glitch that it wasn't going a
Nina
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So technically this webcomic is still ongoing, but after two-ish hours of reading, I've caught up to the story and am currently waiting on the seventh installment of the year three comic. I have to say, I didn't think I was going to fall in love with this so heavily - or even at all! I'm a fat introvert who plays videogames and reads books - this a webcomic about outgoing ice hockey players. Like, come on, I've avoided sport since I could walk, would I really like a book that revolves around a s ...more
Renay
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This is ADORABLE. :D
Rebecca Barber
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Check Please almost as much as Bitty loves baking. Why is it so wholesome and warming and emotional? How did it manage to pull me in despite knowing absolutely nothing about hockey or Canada? When will I inevitably binge read all of it again?
Miguel Nova
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I recommend this comic to everyone who enjoys life or needs a little joy in life. Go read it. ♥
Jenn Ergott
Heartwarming hockey gays with gratuitous Southern vibes and an whole bunch of pie? Sign me the fuck up.
Romina G
I'm in loooooove with this story. Honestly, I didn't know you could become attached to so many characters at the same time. And the art! The dialogues! The beautiful relationship they have amongst each other!

(I WISH I could draw like that-- this comic gives me life, seriously, and inspires me to improve on my own drawings.)

And of course, Jack and Bitty's relationship puts all the rest to shame. They're pERFECT.

I know it's not finished yet (and I hope it won't be for at least some time, wouldn'
Kristy
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
I stayed up way to late to finish this and then I delved into fanfiction. It's currently 5:30am and I should seriously go to bed but I'm lost in this world. The characters in this story are amazing. All of them. I couldn't tell you who my favorite is because I love them all to much (although I will admit to Bittle hitting a soft spot in my heart). This story was amazing and I can't wait until it's continued. It is literally one of the best LGBT stories I have read. It's so fantastically well don ...more
Beth
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Completely addictive and wonderful. Storytelling at its finest and art that makes you want it to be real SO badly. Hilarious, heart warming, with the perfect amount of realistic conflict and angst. Protagonist you simply HAVE to root for. Supporting characters that are so compelling they need their own stories and graphic novels STAT. Have read and reread and reread. Will continue reading as long as she keeps writing.
Nik Nikolai
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of my favourite webcomics. I think that should be given since it's about both hockey AND baking. Excellent art, story, characters- and, for someone who can't even ice skate, Ngozi pretty damn well captures what hockey is to both players and fans. If you have an extra hour or two to spare, I would definitely recommend it! ...more
connie
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars

This is an on-going web-comic, and I started it... probably over a year ago now? But I'm including it as part of my 'read' shelf as I'm completely caught up!

Highly, highly recommend this webcomic, especially if you like baking, hockey and butts. Also bakers admiring hockey butts. And the main character is gay. (TW for overdosing, and this also gets quite sad/serious at times)
Angelika
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2016
Check, Please! is adorable also I really like the art style. I spent hours with reading the episodes and extras and now I'm addicted to this webcomic. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Always Raining Here (Always Raining Here, #1)
  • Long Exposure
  • Always Raining Here 02 (Always Raining Here, #2)
  • Novae (Novae, #1)
  • R.U. Screwed
  • Castle Swimmer
  • Always Human
  • Starfighter Chapter 1 (Starfighter, #1)
  • That awkward magic!!
  • Rock and Riot
  • Sunny Side Skies [Episodes 1-20)
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Fence #1 (Fence, #1)
  • Ghost Lights
  • Heartstopper: Become Human
  • The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal
Ngozi Ukazu is the author of the online graphic novel series Check, Please!. She studied at Yale University and the Savannah College of Art and Design. ...more

Check, Please! (6 books)