Start by marking “A King's Trade (Alan Lewrie, #13)” as Want to Read:
A King's Trade (Alan Lewrie, #13)

A King's Trade

(Alan Lewrie #13)

A King's Trade is the powder-packed thirteenth installment in Dewey Lambdin's classic naval adventure series.

After Yellow Fever decimated the crew of Alan Lewrie's HMS Proteus, it had seemed like a knacky idea to abscond with a dozen slaves from a Jamaican plantation to help man his frigate. But two years later, Lewrie is now suspected of the deed. Slave-stealing is a hang
Published January 8th 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A King's Trade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A King's Trade

Alger
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unlikely story shot through with by-the-numbers writing. Entertaining, but not much fun. The entire novel is a setup for the final chapters, which has a fizzling payoff. Lewrie is a weak character whose actions are almost always dictated from without, and his main attributes are a ridiculous good fortune and a mindless collapse when confronted with boobs. Restrained by a plot that was defined in previous books, this novel simply has Lewrie floating about the southern hemisphere hoping to scor ...more
Tim
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book brings some insight into the history of slavery in the UK and the States. It also gives a curious look at the manner in which the writer believes that "interest" played a role in an officers "fortunes". It doesn't seem likely that so many people would go so far simply to benefit someone that they are certain is guilty, even if they agree with the crime.
Mike Moe
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was read to me

WWLD? I'm going to find out. Read a little but purchased the audio so I could split wood while "sailing with Capt. Lewrie." Very enjoyable.
Jim
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: naval-fiction
This is another fine book in the Alan Lewrie series of British tall ship naval adventures by Dewey Lambdin. As is the case of all his books, there is authentic recounts of life at sea, of naval battles and life in the Royal Navy. There is also a great deal of humor and more than a touch of bawdiness.

In a previous novel of the series, Lewrie, as captain of the HMS Proteus, took on board 10 runaway slaves - sort of as a lark to get back at a family on Jamaica but also because he needed to fill ou
Anne
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading it as a sailing adventure. And I'd never thought before about now difficult it would have been early in the 19th century to do battle on a ship, keeping it moving and shooting a cannon and trying to hit another moving vessel.

I did spend a bit of time with Google open, checking the meaning of sailing phrases with which I was not familiar.

This was the first of the series I'd read and it took quite awhile to understand the history that, in many ways was assumed throughout the boo
Joshua
Jul 19, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read, I believe, all of the Alan Lewrie Naval Adventures with the exception of the latest, "In Troubled Waters," with great relish understanding that Alan Lewrie is somewhat of a rogue, to say the least. This novel, however, stretched credulity to a fair degree. Dewey Lambdin has written a caricature of a sea novel. Perhaps I was expecting too much for when compared to O'Brian, the Master of the genre, the story just seemed... ridiculous. What a disappointment!
Eric
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In light Lewrie's gathering problems, probably the best bet is for him to get out of country for awhile. This adventure adds some spice to the rather dismal and dull proceeding to escorting a convoy of ships to India.

The circus ship may not be everyone's thing but I found it to be a lot of fun.
Aspen Junge
I read the entire series largely back-to-back (my local public library is well-stocked). One of the great things about this series is that we get to watch Alan Lewrie, the main character, grow up from a callow, self-indulgent teenager to a mature, thoughtful, and responsible adult.
J.
Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the last battle with the circus ship is fairly ridiculous but what the heck.... I can't stop reading these.
Rob
Derk West
Aug 20, 2013
Bernard Christensen
Mar 31, 2013
  • For My Country's Freedom (Richard Bolitho, #23)
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h

Alan Lewrie (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1)
  • The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4)
  • The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • Jester's Fortune (Alan Lewrie, #8)
  • King's Captain (Alan Lewrie, #9)
  • Sea of Grey (Alan Lewrie, #10)