Start by marking “Girl of Mine” as Want to Read:
Girl of Mine

Girl of Mine

HE CAME HOME

The year is 2003 and Captain Lucas Graham is at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, about to be deployed to Iraq. A few weeks ago, he broke his engagement with Jillian Barrett, leaving her stunned and heartbroken.

Knowing he can’t leave for war without putting his affairs in order, Luke obtains a four day pass with only one goal in mind: explain his life story to his fo
Published May 25th 2015 by Taylor Dean Books

To ask other readers questions about Girl of Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl of Mine

Sherry Fundin
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Taylor Dean is an award winning author that is at the top of my must read list and Girl of Mine is another one of her clean romance novels that tugged at my heartstrings. I must warn you, though…. a box of tissues is required.

One month before her wedding, Jill was jilted. Now…HE’s back, continuing to break her heart.

Why is Lucas so desperate to talk to her NOW?

Jill is still in love with Lucas, so why is she engaged to another man? That is something you will have to read the book to find out.

I wo
Kathy
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I really enjoyed this book and spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening finishing it. I have seen quite a few positive reviews of Taylor's books floating around Goodreads and Blogs but have only ever read her book Chasing Fireflies. I wanted to read another of her books so I grabbed this one from Kindle Unlimited. I was hooked from the first chapter.
This is a contemporary romance, but it had quite a bit of depth to it as well as lots of humor. Definitely going to read another one of Taylor
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I was so, so excited to read this book. It's no secret that I love Taylor Dean's books. She really knows how to write a story that pulls you in and engages you emotionally as a reader. Taylor is one of the authors that I stalk (in the best possible way), waiting for an announcement of a new book.

This book had a few surprise turns and stories within stories. It took awhile for the whole picture to come together as pieces kept falling into place one at a time. I really liked it. I just couldn't pu
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
This story was told so well! The plot was revealed in layers through flashbacks and memories. I really connected with the emotions of the characters and read the book straight through.
Melanie
Taylor Dean is one of my favorite authors so I was excited when she announced her new book, and even more excited when it moved to the top of my TBR pile!

I loved this book! Luke and Jill are the main characters and when the book starts, they're broken up. Luke is on a four day leave from the military and needs to talk to her. She has become engaged to another man, his best friend Troy. Luke needs to tell her the truth about him and Troy and why he broke up with her so abruptly.

The story is told
Laura Thomas
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Taylor has written another sweet romance to leave you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. Not being much of a romance reader myself, it never ceases to me amaze me when I read one of her books and lose track of time. I never can stop until I reach the end.

Lucas Graham is desparate. One stupid act may have lost him the girl of his dreams. His soulmate. Now he’ll have to do whatever it takes to win her back. And he only has four days to do it. That’s all the leave he has before he’s shipped off to
Charissa
I beta-read this story and absolutely loved it! It’s a fast-paced read that switches back and forth between present day and past and between love and heartache. The book starts out with desperate action as Luke kidnaps his ex-fiancée in order to explain choices he made that he sincerely regrets. Jill doesn’t know if she can ever forgive him for breaking her heart…and besides, she’s now engaged to another man, Troy’s best friend. Luke and Troy have been best friends since they were in diapers. A ...more
Anna
Jun 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate giving low ratings because I admire what authors do. Writing and putting your thoughts and ideas out there for consumption and critique. Not easy to do. It must be me because this book rates pretty high on GR. I really struggled with this book and barely finished (and that was with a lot of skimming). The blurb hooked me “HE CAME HOME”. Then the story lost me.

(view spoiler)
Karen perry
it took me the first 45% to get into and just wasnt realistic i cant say i enjoyed this one
Quirky Omega
I have to confess; this is the first romance I have read, without a detailed sex scene, in a long time. Yeah, yeah, it is stupid but spare me. :P

So here I come down to the review.
I absolutely adored the book.

Jill was such a realistic character. She's supposed to be short in the story and 98 pounds but I tried to imagine her as more curvy. All this imagining did not change the beauty of the story at all. That is the point. The story seemed so realistic that I could imagine anybody as it's protag
Lisa
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I love Taylor Dean's book because she is a fantastic author. Unfortunately, because she is not very well-known, I have a feeling that many people are still unaware of her books. Personally, I found out about this author by word-of-mouth on a romance reader's forum, and I notice that her name still comes up on these forums.

Girl of mine is her latest book. It takes place in the year 2003. Luke Graham is planning to marry
Mylissa Demeyere
In 2013 I first stumbled across Taylor's book For Nick, and fell in love with her style. What great books she writes. Now each year around March-April I start getting anxious to hear from Taylor and beg her for an advanced copy. Each time I read a new book by Taylor, I am stunned to discover she did it again. Her books are golden!
Girl of Mine is a wonderful, heart wrenching story of two best friends, Troy and Luke. They go through a life-altering experience as kids, which changes them forever. T
Susan Swiderski
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway, (thank you!) and it was the first of Dean's books that I've had the pleasure of reading. However, it probably won't be the last.

The plot lines of some romances stretch credibility way out of shape, and this one is no exception. Parts of it had me raising my eyebrows in disbelief and rolling my eyes, but parts of it are so touching and heart-wrenching, I readily stuffed my disbelief in my back pocket, and kept on reading. The whirlwind romance between
Erica
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just recently started reading Taylor Dean's books, and I confess that she's a new fav of mine. I decided on this as my next read, cause it's her most recent release (tho I plan to read ALL of her books very soon).

Girl of Mine stats off in a surprising fashion, involving an abduction in the WalMart parking lot. Jillian is prepped to spend what would have been her wedding weekend with Ben & Jerry after being dumped just a month prior by the man she still loves. Luke surprises her with a
Christy
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review first appeared on my blog Christy's Cozy Corners.

If you love reading clean romance books, then you need to be reading Taylor Dean’s books. She may not be as well known as some authors, but her books deserve high praise. They are always clean which I very much appreciate. This is the eighth book I’ve read by Taylor, and I’ll keep on reading them as long as she keeps writing them! The books that she writes are quick reads because they keep you engaged and make you want to keep reading.
Alisa
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luke realizes that he made the biggest mistake of his life when he called off his wedding to Jill a month ago. But he's had to wait a whole month to get a 4-day leave from the military so he can make things right with her in person - or at least explain to her why he did it. He's hoping for forgiveness and a second chance, but there is so much to the story that Jill doesn't know.

Overall, this was a great story, but there were parts that slightly annoyed me. The biggest one: Why did he wait so lo
April
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I discovered Taylor Dean’s book on Kindle Unlimited and immediately became hooked. I adore the way she uses “invisible stories” within the book to keep you hooked. When I pick one of her books, it’s guaranteed that nothing else is getting done that day. Girl of Mine didn’t keep me on the edge of my seat the way some of Taylor’s other books have, it was still a page turner. She let the story slowly unfold; only giving ti
Amy
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I am not sure how I felt about this book. It was not what I expected. I thought it would be about Luke and Jill and their relationship through his deployment. It was really about the relationship between Luke and Troy. I didn't like how Troy treated Luke like crap for all of those years and he just took it. He felt entitled to make his life miserable and Luke did nothing to stop it. The explanation of Luke and Jill breaking up was a little loose and then Troy stepping in was a little ...more
Jana
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.*

Taylor Dean is a fantastic author that really draws the reader in with character development in each of her stories. And Girl of Mine did exactly that!

Without giving away any of the story, I was a little frustrated with Jill. How could she be engaged to another man so soon after getting her heart broken? It was a little maddening for me to wait until the end to find out why, but the ending did make up for it.

Through
Sojourner
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Girl of Mine by Taylor Dean is a delightful yet poignant romantic story that is intense yet honest. Though it is a work of fiction, some parts of the story are spiked up with and based on true-life incidents from the author’s own wonderful family. For instance, the story of Captain Lucas Graham is partly based on Taylor Dean’s own husband who was sent off to war in 2003. The author has also freely used names of family members for her finely etched characters.

The relationship between Luke and Jil
Megan Tiscareno
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.*
This was one of those books that I've been highly anticipating for months now! Lucas and Jillian's story pulled me in from the get go! I wanted to know more about these two people, so much in love, but not together at the moment. In a story that alternates between the present and looks at the past, you learn about who they are and how their circumstances have taken them to where they are today. Taylor Dean is not your
Christina Harris
**I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.**

Once again, Taylor Dean has hit one out of the park with Girl of Mine! This book is simultaneously beautiful and sad. Is it possible to give so much that you lose yourself and all that you hold dear in the process? Dean explores this possibility in Girl of Mine. This story held my attention from page 1 and by the end, the tears were falling freely.

If you are looking for a romance that is free of profanity and expli
Cindy
i don't usually read romances qith no sex unless it is YA. but this book took me by surprise. i loved it. i loved the story. i loved hearing about luke and troy's past. i spent the beginning absolutely confused. luke left her and a month later she is engaged to troy?!?! it baffled me. i didn't understand how she could do that. i was much more understanding of luke cancelling the wedding even though the reason wasn't as i had first anticipated. this was truly a heartwrenching story with an absolu ...more
Christina
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You may read the plot blurb about Taylor Dean's novels and think they're just like any other romance novel: boy meets girl, boy likes girl, something pulls them apart, they get back together in the end. But, you'd be wrong. Yes, Dean's books are romance novels but they are so much more than that. There is always, always a bigger storyline that hooks me in and doesn't let go. GIRL OF MINE, characters wrestle with big topics such as forgiveness, regret, and trauma. I'm always left thinking after f ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Dean has won a place as one of my favorite authors. She has a way she writes that keeps a reader engaged, interested, and guessing until the very end. Girl of Mine, is no exception. She writes a story that cuts to the quick...makes the reader feel. You become invested in what happens to the characters. You begin to read and when you look up you see you have read for hours straight. Girl of Mine is a rich story that captures of the power of love, the ache of regret and the freedom of forgiveness ...more
Kristen
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This has so far been my least favorite of Taylor's books.

Throughout most of the book, I couldn't understand why Jill got engaged again, and so quickly after her engagement to Lucas was broken off. Plus I pretty much could not stand Troy for a good chunk of the book. It wasn't until that last twist was thrown in, that it all FINALLY made sense. And by that point, it was the 80% mark, and just wasn't good enough for me to really enjoy the story.
Neilliza Swaffar
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read from Ms Taylor Dean. Love this emotional story of friendship, love and forgiveness. I loved Lucas throughout this whole book, he had the biggest heart and very forgiving. How else can he be friend with such a grumpy and unhappy man? Love this.
Leigh-Ann Borella
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I thought at first it was your run of the mill boy meets girl, they fall in love, etc, etc.... But then the story takes a turn. This is an easy read and kept my interest from start to finish.
Shelly
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review coming on Thursday....I will say this though, Taylor ALWAYS makes me cry!
Shauna
Hmmm. This was a hard book for me. It was built in layers, but I guessed early on what the problem was and found myself skimming a lot of the book. Fortunately, I slowed down at the end and really enjoyed it. Not an easy read but a thoughtful story. Don't let the cover fool you though, it's not a lighthearted frolic.

• Mid-Century Mayhem (Retro Romance Presents: Time Travel By Design, #1)
  • Me Tarzan -- You Jane
  • Christmas in Snow Valley  (Snow Valley Romance Anthologies, #1)
  • The Color of Clouds
  • Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy
  • Lacing Shadows: Anthology
  • Moonlight Dancer
  • Peace by Piece
  • Rough Edges: Allie's Story (Second Chances #1)
  • Nexus Point
  • Just A Taste (The O'Learys, #5)
  • Best Friends... Forever? (Landry's True Colors, #2)
  • Sweet Cowboy Christmas (Sweet, Texas, #3.5)
  • The Trouble With Holly (Nashville Dreamers, #1)
  • If You Believe
  • Zion's Call (Legacy of Hope Book 1)
  • Losing Us (Mackenzie and Austin, #2)
  • Sleigh Bells in Valentine Valley (Valentine Valley, #5)

Taylor Dean lives in Texas and is the mother of four grown children. Upon finding herself with an empty nest, she began to write the stories that were always wandering around in her head, quickly finding she had a passion for writing, specifically romance. Whether it's paranormal, contemporary, or suspense-you'll find all sub-genres of CLEAN Romance in her line-up.