Start by marking “The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss (Dahlia Moss Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss (Dahlia Moss Mysteries, #1)

The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss

(Dahlia Moss Mysteries #1)

If it were up to me this book would be called Hilarious Things That Happened That Were Not At All Dahlia's Fault -- or HTTHTWNAADF, for short.

OK, I probably shouldn't have taken money from a mysterious eccentric to solve a theft, given that I'm not a detective, and that I am sometimes outwitted by puzzles in children's video games. I probably shouldn't have stolen bags of
Published October 20th 2015 by Redhook

To ask other readers questions about The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss, please sign up.
Nathan Books are usually designated "Young Adult" based solely on the age of the protagonist, and not really by the content of the book. You could purchase a…moreBooks are usually designated "Young Adult" based solely on the age of the protagonist, and not really by the content of the book. You could purchase a "Young Adult" book with content you don't think is appropriate for the suggested age-bracket, while having skipped an "Adult" book that's actually pretty much perfect for teenagers--like Dahlia Moss.(less)

Start your review of The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss (Dahlia Moss Mysteries, #1)
karen
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
HOLY MOLY, THIS IS NOW PART OF A TRILOGY - MORE PEOPLE NEED TO READ THIS BECAUSE IT IS AS FUN AS A PIT FULL OF BALLS!

4.5 adorably geeky stars.

My grandmother used to say that there was nothing worse than trust-fund kids with plans

this is the perfect example of "right book, right time." i grabbed this from my daunting "promised to read soon" stack because it looked fast and fun and it turned out to be both of those things and also EXACTLY what i needed. i've been in the glums lately, which needs

Category: A Book Guaranteed to Bring You Joy (which seemed fitting because receiving this arc from the amazing, and now popped full of pillz, karen brought me joy before I even cracked it’s cover.)

4 Laughter Stars

I have a love/hate relationship with most “manic pixie dream girl” characters, into which I would lump Dahlia Moss. While I love that they broaden character roles for females to include klutzy nerd girls with poor social skills into media they always seem to be portrayed by actresses w
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/11/04/a...

The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss is definitely an audiobook you should avoid listening to in public, lest you want the people around you to think you’ve completely lost your mind. Folks generally don’t react well to someone bursting into spontaneous maniacal laugher, I find.

And to think, I almost let this gem pass me by! A book like this doesn’t technically fall under the Sci-fi and Fantasy purview, which is what I
Veronica ⭐️
I’m struggling with this review in the same way I struggled with the story. What was it that just didn’t connect with me?
I liked the storyline with the idea of online play, in MMORPG Kingdom of Zoth, crossing the boundaries to real life when (view spoiler)
I felt like the story was written around Dahlia’s jokes and one liners and they came across as contrived and forced.
I found that th
Lynx
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dahlia Moss has had a rough year. Her now ex-boyfriend cheated on her, she cannot land herself a job and is only surviving thanks to her eccentric (though some may say just plain crazy) roommate. Things are getting desperate so when she’s asked to investigate a theft and offered a couple thousand to do so Dahlia cannot say no. The item in question? The “Bejewelled Spear of Infinite Piercing”, a most prized possession in a MMORPG. It isn’t long before the online theft turns into real life murder ...more
Sherwood Smith
Copy provided by NetGalley

Jobless-for-over-a-year Dahlia Moss is surprised by an offer of a job, for which she'll be paid a grand, and another grand when she finds a certain spear. She is not a detective, never has been a detective, but for a couple grand, she's game. "Game" being the operative word here, as it turns out that this spear is not real, but an artifact in an online game. As she discovers in a painful dinner "date" that Jonah, her client, set up to get her started on the case.

But the
AH
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: nerds, geeks, gamers
The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss was a fun and light read. It's perfect for when you don't want something too deep or complicated, even though Dahlia's life is a bit complicated. Dahlia is unintentionally hilarious. She's a millennial, a college graduate, unemployed and living at a friend's place. Her job prospects are horrible because she fails at every interview, and she often finds herself in strange and wacky situations. Since the entire story is told from Dahlia's point of view, you ...more
Cale Dietrich
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This is the funniest book I’ve ever read.

I know that’s a really bold statement, but it’s the truth. This book is freaking hilarious, so much so that it probably isn’t the best idea to read it on public transport, because you will laugh, and people will stare.

The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss is the story of Dahlia Moss, who is a charming, adorable hot mess that instantly found a place in my heart. She’s 60 percent Codex from The Guild, 20 percent Veronica Mars, and 20 percent of a totally
kate
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
<3 <3 <3

The problem with reading this as an advance reader copy - starring a protagonist you can *totally* relate to, with zany situations, great witty dialogue, and hilarious characters - is that I'm totally and amazingly in love with Dahlia Moss AND I NEED MORE STORIES STAT.
Shaun Hutchinson
Super charming. Some of the jokes feel a bit dated, and the snark could get a bit exhausting, but I definitely enjoyed this and am looking forward to the next book.
Billie
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was cute, but the plot and characters never quite rang true for me and it ended up feeling more surface than substance. Plus, the ARC was riddled with the kind of grammatical errors that should have been cleaned up by the author--or a freelance editor--before this book ever made it to the publisher.
Michelle Hauck
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
How could I not love a character who wears a Jigglypuff hat. That is like the coolest reference ever!

Dahlia Moss has long been out of work, lost her boyfriend to a dental hygienist, and lives with a crazy roommate. So it's a regular day when a stranger asks her to recover a spear stolen from him in a role-playing video game and offers her $1000 upfront. She's no detective, but with rent money due, there's no backing out of this one. Then her benefactor turns up dead, killed by a real copy of the
The Captain
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there me mateys!

I borrowed a copy of this book from the library. The spine of the book had a pink unicorn, which of course made me think that it was a fantasy. But, no, it was not. It is a silly, goofy contemporary murder mystery based around an online gaming community called Zoth. And I loved it. I was in a mood and needed a light fluffy book that would cheer me up. This zany novel did the trick.

I kept smiling and smiling at the ridiculousness of the main character, Dahlia and her world. I
Caitie
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fiction, cozies
If you are the kind of person who would be friends with me, even just in an online goodreads sense, you need to pre-order this book right now because you will want to own it, read it, and re-read it whenever you need to laugh. i don't do reviews with memes, if I did I would insert the take my money meme because I am buying my own copy.

It might be the funniest book I have ever read. I laughed out loud dozens of times and that is not an exaggeration. You don't even need to get the references to th
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Perhaps, this is one of those books that are out of my league, but due to my love of books, I am willing to study about the subject matter and learn more. I am not a fan of MMO, but I love detective stories. Such was the case for The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss.

Truth is, my husband's the one who's really into MMORPG, and whenever I get a break from work, I spend some time watching him play, steal, kill, demand and pursue heroes, villains, combatants, dragons, elven archers, et al. By wa
Arlene Arredondo
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
FASCINATING!!!
Dhalia Moss is living with a friend since her boyfriend dumped her for another and has no income and no prospects of job, even though she makes the effort to go to every interview available. Her life literally sucks, until she gets a job offer she can’t refuse. She’s paid a high amount of maney to find the “Bejeweled Spear of Infinite Piercing” which happens to be a digital item from a MMORPG.
I’m a geek at heart and this story is just great! Since the beginning is very funny. When
Joe Jones
I was lucky to get an advanced readers copy of this title. I am glad I did. Dahlia is one of those characters you can't help but root for as she muddles through. The side characters are a quirky bunch as well. This continues the trend of books written for geeks. MMORPG players will find plenty to love as will pop culture fans. There is enough of a mystery to draw in those fans as well so definite genre crossover appeal. Then throw in a healthy does of humor and you get one great Summer read!

If y
Caitlin
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you live in St. Louis, you'll like this. If you're a geek, you'll like this. If you enjoy a fun murder mystery, you'll like this. And if you are looking for possibly the greatest Acknowledgements section I've ever read in a book, please pick up a copy.
Breda
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it
A fun read with a likable narrator from a writer who is clearly very fond of video games and the people who love them.
Francesca Forrest
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I enjoyed this a lot--enough to buy a copy for one of my kids, who will like the geek-and-game-oriented jokes, too. I was gratified that Strongbad from Homestarrunner gets a mention; I would have thought it would be too old-hat and passé for a book trying to hit all the current notes, but I'm taking its inclusion as proof that Strongbad retains a place in people's hearts EVEN TODAY.

The story really is a madcap romp, very easy to read, and the mystery makes sense, if you know what I mean. The sid
Nicolette Elzie
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Max Wirestone may just be the king of quirky, unique one liners. Seriously, there was not a point that I wasn't laughing while reading this book. I either 100% understood the references being made, which had me quietly snickering to myself in self-satisfaction or I was full blown, shamelessly guffawing in public, which I've been told actually sounds more like maniacal cackling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sorry, I'm not sorry, this book was Drop Dead Fred hilarious.

I don't usually read within the humor genre, for

Yuan
For more reviews, please visit my blog Obsessive Compulsive Reader

If you are a geek, you will appreciate the humour in this book.

I was drawn to the book by its interesting premise. A broke, unemployed, single girl. A murder. MMORPG. The prospect of romance amidst all of it. It had the promise of a fun, fast-paced new adult contemporary romantic comedy.

While I didn't quite get what I was expecting (dial up the fast-pace and absurdity of everything and tone down the romance), I had a great rid
Caroline
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Confession: I used to be a World of Warcraft addict. It’s true. I participated in lan parties in my boyfriend’s apartment with his roommates and their girlfriends. We were cool like that.

What does this have to do with The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss? Well, this book is ideal for anyone with basic knowledge of MMORPG’s. (That’s massive multiplayer online role playing game’s for those not in the know.)

This boo
Michelle Bacon
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
First of all I want to give a shout-out to Netgalley for allowing me the opportunity to read and rate this book. Thank you.
This is not your typical mystery like Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot. Fast-forward to the 21st century where kids and adults get into role-playing games on-line, dress in ridiculous costumes to attend a gaming convention, and spend ridiculous amounts of money on mythical weapons. BUT...the weapon is stolen and the gamer is later found dead.
So, to investigate this crazy
Charley Cook
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
'Dahlia' is a YA mystery story about the self proclaimed private investigator Dahlia Moss. She begins her story surrounded by a cast of odd characters including her party hosting, fancy dress loving room mate and a MMORPG (imagine World of Warcraft on steroids) player that has a mystery for Dahlia to solve. A very valuable sword has been stolen, digitally of course and it's down to Dahlia to find out what happened to it.

The main sell of this story is the complete geek fan service it provides. It
Jenna
hoarder challenge: #13 more than 3 words in title
Once I started it, I could tell this was meant for the YA audience but it was ok for us adults.
Though, I did wonder how old dahlia was? I didn’t catch it if it was mentioned.

Definitely reminded me of Veronica Mars. Except that Dahlia isn’t really a PI, she’d just interned at a detective agency once. And now she’s stumbled into a mystery.
I preferred it over the previous book I tried “the frame-up” which had similarities & intended for the
Bunny
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, read-in-15
Received via Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.

You might think, from the description, that this is a book for the nerds. For those of us who adored Ready Player One, and want more worlds invested in online role playing games. A detective investigating a theft in an MMORPG? What could be better?

Back away slowly. Set down the book, close out the Amazon page, and keep it rolling.

For one thing, this feels, more than anything else, like a book for Nerds written by someone who only has a passi
Mollien Fote Osterman
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review
4 extra lives

I must admit that before I became addicted to reading, I was addicted to playing MMORPG’s.
If you don’t know what that is, you may be a little lost with parts of this book, but don’t worry, you will still understand what is going on. This is a really fun murder mystery that should be read just for the fun of it. Dahlia Moss is a girl down on her luck. She can’t find a job, her cheating ex-boyfriend dumped her for a dental hygienist, and she has distanced herself from all of he
Caron
I received this book from the publisher on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

What drew me into this book was the synopsis. I used to watch Veronica Mars as a kid and I’m crazy about The Big Bang Theory (who isn’t?) and I’ve recently started watching The Guild. I’ve also had my fair share of mind blowing Comic Con experiences. This book is perfect for geeks. There are amazing references, a few of which I actually understood (Peter Capaldi’s eyebrows) and they were quite funny.

This story
Mainon
Dahlia Moss is a smart and educated, but unemployed and stressed about money. So when a guy offers to pay her $2,000 to help him retrieve the Bejeweled Spear of Infinite Piercing that was stolen from him in an MMORPG, she's seriously tempted. (No, she's not a detective, but she did temp in a detective agency once.) After all, he says he knows who did it, so it's just a matter of confronting the guy and getting him to confess.

Except the next day the police show up at her door. Things have taken a

• Murder at the House of Rooster Happiness (Ethical Chiang Mai Detective Agency #1)
  • The Last Curtain Call (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery #8)
  • Milkrun
  • My Christmas Goose Is Almost Cooked (The Travel Mishaps of Caity Shaw, #3)
  • Unscripted
  • Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
  • West Side Story
  • Working Stiff (Revivalist, #1)
  • The Clutter Corpse
  • 19 Love Songs
  • A Spell for Trouble (An Enchanted Bay Mystery #1)
  • Fake Truth (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #3)
  • One Week 'Til Christmas
  • Tempest (The Scarab Beetle, #6)
  • Accessory (The Scarab Beetle, #4)
  • Falling Awake
  • Sing a Song of Popcorn: Every Child's Book of Poems
  • Hellbent

Dahlia Moss Mysteries (3 books)
  • The Astonishing Mistakes of Dahlia Moss (Dahlia Moss Mysteries, #2)
  • The Questionable Behavior of Dahlia Moss (Dahlia Moss Mysteries, #3)

News & Interviews

“Not everything needed to be processed. Some things needed to be ignored and slept on.” 0 likes
“Any virtue can be taken too far.” 0 likes