Start by marking “Grandma's Little Black Book of Recipes - From 1910” as Want to Read:
Grandma's Little Black Book of Recipes - From 1910

Grandma's Little Black Book of Recipes - From 1910

This little black book was discovered in an attic in 2015. The typed recipes and instructions are a direct translation of the handwriting seen in the photographs on each page. To preserve its authenticity, no extra instructions have been added. The cover is a photograph of the actual book, (with title added.)

Bring your tablet into the rural English kitchen of 1910. Reliv
Published March 16th 2015 by Les Dale

Be the first to ask a question about Grandma's Little Black Book of Recipes - From 1910

Start your review of Grandma's Little Black Book of Recipes - From 1910
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it
These recipes date from the turn of the 20th century, all of them made in a rural Yorkshire kitchen in the early 1910s by Les Dale’s grandmother. In 1915, Dale discovered a notebook in which the grandmother wrote down recipes she developed or borrowed from other housewives. Dale transcribed the recipes from the grandmother’s spidery Victorian cursive, but shows photos of the original handwritten recipes as well as the typeset versions.

Les Dale’s daughter is a much better cook than I. She has mad
nikki mc mains
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found no usable recipes. No insights, no comments on the weather, nor anything personal to the author. Most recipes were incomplete. The handwriting was interesting to see, and try to puzzle out. Many of the ingredients were obscure.
It was a very, very fast read, maybe 10 minutes, so you won't be wasting much time.
Melanie Simpson
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved This Historic Book of Recipes

What a wonderful and historic find! As a lover and collector of cookbooks, I have just been reading a few famous bakery baking books. One Being Zingermans Bake house and also Tartine. Their recipes and procedure for croissant/puff pastry is virtually the same as the puff paste written in this book, 100 plus years ago. The rubbing in of flour then addition of the butter sheet and folding and rolling and turning and refolding. It unfortunately doesn't continue ou
I don't know if this is a different edition or not, but my edition does not have any fun little details about weather, or gossipy tidbits, the photocopied squares of the original, handwritten recipes are about the size of what would fit in the area of a photo frame, if you didn't zoom in or out. I was intrigued that the handwriting, even down to the paper looks like my Great Grandmother's recipes.
As others have said the recipes that are typed out are not complete, I am assuming due to the fact
Dee Kuijer-Watts
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Little Book of Secrets

Like reading through a used, family cookbook, more revered than the Bible, deciphering margin notes and gently unfolding the separate handwritten recipes, smeared and splattered with years old ingredients, was one of my favorite things to do now and again. I left again for Europe with a bag of kitchen heritage like this. Older church cookbooks, a first edition of Betty Crocker, rife with notes and rich with period artwork and held together by the rings alone. This is bu
Maria Di
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Resource

This little book is a great little indulgence. The insight into pre-WWI home life is priceless. It’s great to have a photo of the original and a typed version of the original.
Nora Deyaun Boudreaux
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Valuable Book for All Cooks

The rating I give us my honest opinion of how very valuable the recipes so-tried-and -true by home cooks down through the generations are to now and to those of the future.
Gail Peters
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Interesting and fun!

I loved reading all the details involved in the finding and the creating of this sweet vintage treasure. I will try a recipe and think about by gone days. A fun read for all who like recipes and things vintage.
Denise Rodriguez
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grandma's recipes

Lot of love went into those recipes. Thanks I enjoyed seeing some recipes my grandmother used to make. It brought back find memories of cooking in the kitchen with my loved ones.
Linda Bailey
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It has some great old recipes

When I was a child my mam made potato cakes and I loved them but I never the recipe from her so for 40 years I have been looking for the right one and it's here in this book I am so pleased 😀
marlene paul
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
quite charming,

Enjoyed seeing the handwritten recipes. Brings back memories of my own cherished scraps of paper. I probably would need some translation of a few of the ingredients in order to actually make these.

Lyssa
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing little time capsule of recipes

This is such a lovely little book! My S/O and I browsed the recipes together and bookmarked several that we want to make later.
Myra
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is a sweet reminder of my grandmother.
Denise
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love it

Can't wait to try recipes. Thanks for sharing.

There should not be a set amount of words required for reviews
Manda
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
cute for what it was
Elizabeth Hatcher
May 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not worth the read

Like I said, not worth the read. Short. Ingredient items and prep instructions are ridiculous. Leave Grandma’s cooking in the attic.
RACHELLE ARLINDA HAYES
JUST OK

JUST OK . IT WAS A FEW THAT I LIKE . BUT NOT A BOOK I WOULD BUY . IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A HIGHER SCORE IF THERE HAD BEEN MORE RECIPE THAT I LIKED.
Michelle Patterson
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love of Recipes

I absolutely these recipes!!! Cookbooks are my love, collecting them are amazing, these recipes are so neat. We like trying new recipes, or new to us recipes.
Melanie Taylor
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love these recipes, can't wait to make more. ...more
Shirley Johnston
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
When I read that this book was someone's grandmother's actual cookbook, I was intrigued. Then when I was informed that it actually was a cookbook from England Pre-World War I...well I was hooked! I just had to see how recipes so old would transfer over. I was drawn more to the little book (with copies of the interior of actual handwritten recipes) as not a cookbook but a history book.

And I wasn't disappointed! It took a bit of research to learn what certain ingredients were, not to mention meas
Kaeleah
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Nice short read

I feel the recipes are a bit obscure and from the sounds in the directions, are rather a bit scattered..
JOHN
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Keepsake

What a treasure wouldn't change a thing about this sweet little book. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.
Karla Farrington
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recipes sound inviting

Love this cookbook you could feel the love in each photo of the recipe. Can't wait to try Queens Cake.
Candis
Dec 13, 2020
Nicholas Gius
Chang Miyata
rated it did not like it
Carola Andrade