Start by marking “Preserving Family Recipes: How to Save and Celebrate Your Food Traditions” as Want to Read:
Preserving Family Recipes: How to Save and Celebrate Your Food Traditions

Preserving Family Recipes: How to Save and Celebrate Your Food Traditions

Heirloom dishes and family food traditions are rich sources of nostalgia and provide vivid ways to learn about our families’ past, yet they can be problematic. Many family recipes and food traditions are never documented in written or photographic form, existing only as unwritten know-how and lore that vanishes when a cook dies. Even when recipes are written down, they oft ...more
Published November 1st 2015 by University of Georgia Press

To ask other readers questions about Preserving Family Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preserving Family Recipes

Start your review of Preserving Family Recipes: How to Save and Celebrate Your Food Traditions
☼♄Jülie 

Family History just got even more fun!!

This book was a very pleasant surprise as it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it has turned out to be very informative indeed.

Anyone who has a bunch of old loose leaf recipes stored away, or a shoebox or scrapbook filled with old recipes collected in days gone by...here is a book that might interest you, and start you on a mission to preserve them forever.

Maybe you have some of your Mum's or Granny's favourite recipes, in their own handwriting?! Per
Haley Mathiot
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most complete books I’ve ever seen on preparing and attacking a project. Many people have a book or a folder or a pile or even a document with family recipes, but this book is a guide on how to make a treasured heirloom for generations to come. It covers so many different bases, such as working with people or working with yourself, interviews, researching recipes and allowing them to evolve, binding ideas, etc. It is almost overwhelming how much information is included. That b ...more
Lori Shafer
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Genealogist, Familiy historians
It is not often I find book written to help genealogists preserve their memories. So often people have little pieces like recipes, and no way to truly make something useful out of it. I found this book very helpful. The author gave excellent ideas on how to deal with missing information or out of date information. The focus is on the story and the recipe. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to create their own family recipe book.
Dawn Thomas
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Preserving Family Recipes by Valerie J Frey

9780820330631

304 Pages
Publisher: University of Georgia Press
Release Date: November 1, 2015

Nonfiction, Cooking, Food & Wine, Crafts & Hobbies

The author has organized her family’s recipes and shows readers how they can do the same. The book is divided into the following chapters. I love the idea of including genealogical notes, stores, and photographs with the recipes.

Chapter 1: Setting a Course
Chapter 2: Organizing and Protecting Your Materials
Chapter 3:
Anne
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
With both grandmas gone and 99.99% of that generation (only 1 great-uncle & 2 great-aunts left) gone and Mom gone, there's not much I can do with a project like this. I've got maybe 4-5 recipes I know were made by grandmas, Grandpa Ralph, and Mom. Grandma Ralph's stew recipe I know by smell but how exactly it was made is another matter....
If you have recipes written down and the relations, get on it. It's a bit late for me.
DelAnne Frazee
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Title: Preserving Family Recipes - How to Save and Celebrate Your Food Traditions
Author: Valerie J Frey
ISBN: 9780820330631
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
My Rating: 5 Stars

Many of us have photo albums and scrap books that preserve and accent the mementos and photos of our past. Valerie Frey now gives us t
Daniel
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.5 of 5

Who would have thought you could write a 300 page book on preserving old recipes?  Clearly this book packs in a lot of information on a subject that might not normally demand quite so much material.

I initially requested this book because, as the chief cook in my family, I've gathered a number of recipes together, and have inherited a large collection of recipes from my great-grandparents...all written in Norwegian.  I've
Penmouse
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Author Valerie J. Frey has written a comprehensive and thorough book about how to document family recipes. Her book is called Preserving Family Recipes: How to Save and Celebrate Your Food Traditions.

Frey’s book covers some of the following topics:

*The recipe family connections
*Historical recipes from family and friends
*Recipe selection
*How to get started writing your family cookbook
*Cookbook style (Memoir versus an autobiography for example)
*Cookbook voice (Tips on finding your voice and maint
Lynn Brooks
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This book called out to me when I saw the cover and read the title. I am one of "those people" that has boxes of recipes from my Mom that need to be organized. I have the ones I truly treasure at this point, of being without her for over 9 years, that were written by hand. Just seeing that old familiar handwriting can take you back in time with just a glance. Then of course are the ones she cut out of magazines thinking to try someday.

In reading this book, I got some really good ideas on preserv
Lili
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From Netgalley for a review:

This book is kinda genius! Combining the desire to cook and collect recipes and the desire to preserve family recipes as a kind of edible legacy of your genealogy. How clever is that? I have often sat in my kitchen thinking about the culinary adventures I shared with relatives now passed, and how even though some of the recipes I have reconstructed, it would be awesome to have a record of it written in their hand. If you are like me and dislike the idea of carrying ar
Debbie
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, netgalley
This wonderful treasure combines two of my passions: Cooking and Genealogy. What a lovely way to carry on the legacy of a great cook in your ancestry! I love the idea of learning the stories that go along with the recipes. As a child, my Great Grandma Carlson always made me her famous chocolate angel food cake with a decadent frosting and it was my special birthday treat. Have I bothered to tell my daughter and grandchildren that story so they understand the importance of that recipe in my recip ...more
BookSnuggle
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes
Shelves: cookbooks
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley/University of Georgia Press for an honest review. "Preserving Family Recipes" by Valerie J. Frey is a guide in preserving family recipes.

This a comprehensive guide. I think anyone could use this from simply saving your families favorite recipes to publishing them. Valerie offers ways to organize, protect, and adjust your recipes.

What I liked is that I can take her guidance and fit it to meet what I feel is important to me. Lots of valuable tips.
http
Elizabeth
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is a fountain of information if you are wanting to preserve old family recipes! I happen to have my grandmother's recipe book and my mother's 4 recipe boxes that I want to go through and this book explained everything about how to do it - down to a T!. It's a great book for learning multiple techniques and explains so many things that I hadn't even thought of. It is a great resource for saving family recipes and modernizing them. I really enjoyed learning the ins and outs!

I received th
Critterbee❇
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-g, cookbook, f
A great help in making a family cookbook. Covers everything from cooking visit etiquette and antique cooking implements to scheduling work time and writing effectively.

If you have ever wanted to create a family cookbook, either to preserve your family's tradition or to present loved ones with a memorable gift, this book will help you get started, walk you through, and help troubleshoot the process.

Very impressive.

**eARC netgalley**
Dusty
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful mix of classic family recipes with down-to-earth examples to help you write your own family cookbook. Easy to read, fun to cook. Highly recommended for cooks and genealogists as well as anyone trying to save their family's heritage. ...more
Georgene
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I wish I had had this book 40 years ago. Back then, I cooked A LOT. (But then the author was so young, she might not have been able to read!)

Lots of tips on how to save recipes and how to reconstruct "lost" recipes.

I may buy copies for my daughters.
Rachel
May 04, 2016
Mel
Apr 22, 2018

• Malice
  • Beautiful Maids All in a Row (Iris Ballard, #1)
  • The British Table: A New Look at the Traditional Cooking of England, Scotland, and Wales
  • Your Year for Change: 52 Reflections for Regret-Free Living
  • A Field Guide to Happiness: What I Learned in Bhutan about Living, Loving, and Waking Up
  • The Unofficial Disney Parks Cookbook: From Delicious Dole Whip to Tasty Mickey Pretzels, 100 Magical Disney-Inspired Recipes
  • The Happiness Journal: Your daily inspirational sips toward reaching happiness
  • Coffee Self-Talk: 5 Minutes a Day to Start Living Your Magical Life
  • The Project
  • Ayurveda: An Ancient System of Holistic Health to Bring Balance and Wellness to Your Life
  • Mermaid Life: A Celebration of Tales and Scales
  • Being You: A Journal
  • Still Moving: a memoir
  • Jacques Pépin Fast Food My Way
  • The Thyroid Reset Diet: Reverse Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's Symptoms with a Proven Iodine-Balancing Plan
  • Keeping a Nature Journal, 3rd Edition: Deepen Your Connection with the Natural World All Around You
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Apparent Wind