Start by marking “An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization” as Want to Read:
An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization

An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization

New
Published January 1st 2016 by Harvard Business Review Press

To ask other readers questions about An Everyone Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Everyone Culture

Never Go With Your Gut by Gleb TsipurskyThinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel KahnemanHuman Resource Selection by Robert GatewoodThe Fifth Discipline by Peter M. SengeApplied Psychology in Human Resource Management by Wayne F. Cascio
I/O Psychology Books
64 books — 18 voters
The Problem with Work by Kathi WeeksInventing the Future by Nick SrnicekCubed by Nikil SavalThe Naked Employee by Frederick S. LaneBullshit Jobs by David Graeber
work
26 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Start your review of An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization
Frank Calberg
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Passages I found particuly useful:

Being yourself
- Page 11: Research by Brené Brown shows that vulnerability is at the core of shame, fear, and our struggle for worthiness. Vulnerability is also the birthplace of joy, creativity, belonging, and love.
- Page 136: If you are very insecure, try to speak up more, be more courageous and more optimistic. If you are overconfident, try to listen more, take more advice and be more vulnerable.
- Page 154: To be willing to be vulnerable, you must trust that t
Darren
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
The core idea of the book is intriguing: looking at how things might be if companies placed their focus on growing the capabilities of all of its employees through personal development and real company-wide teamwork, rather than paying lip service to the concept and building the business around a few alleged superstars.

It is just that the execution of the book felt a bit flat, leading to disappointment and a fair degree of frustration. It felt as if it was repelling the reader’s attempts to focu
Andriy Bas
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
The idea of focusing on personal development and DDO (Deliberately Developmental Organization) is very good.
And advice and practices are great.
However, the style of authors is very boring, and IMHO the content could be cut in half without removing anything important.
Kim
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I resisted reading this for a while because I wasn't truly ready to bring ALL of me to work. I'd experienced - too often - negative repercussions of being too-real, too-honest, too-vulnerable in unsafe work spaces. Recently, I dusted her off, and fell in love with the first paragraph:

"In an ordinary organization, most people are doing a second job no one is paying them for ... spending time and energy covering up their weaknesses, managing other people's impressions of them, showing themselves t
Najwa Sahmarani
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ancient wisdom says ‘When the seeker is ready, the teacher appears!’. This book has been my teacher for the past month. It had been in my personal library for two years but i picked it randomly a month ago and it was the perfect timing! I had been looking for a while for models and tools to ensure my team is an incubator for human potential. This book has been a savior! ✨
Tõnu Vahtra
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
After first chapters did not really know what to make of this book and at some point it started explaining the Immunity to Change framework application. Only towards the end did I realize that the author of this book (Robert Kegan) ja also among the authors of the Immunity to Change framework. Immunity to Change is definitely a very important but difficult to read book, this one seems to be easier to grasp so it's useful for recalling the full methodology, but as first read some important contex ...more
Michele
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars: I've always admired the Kegan & Lahey's research and I enjoyed this book as well. I do question their claim to have identified "A Radical New Model for Unleashing Your Company’s Potential." I've read a lot of books on organizational design, workplace culture, human behavior, and adult learning/development, and I didn't see anything particularly "radical" in Kegan & Lahey's book. Certainly, they've developed a model that is different and by giving it a new name (Deliberately Developmen ...more
Michael Belcher
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sophomoric repackaging of earlier scholarly works on the topic of constructive development (e.g. Immunity to Change). Disappointingly, Kegan's work now span the spectrum from mind-numbing intelligent (The Evolving Self) to the mind-numbing idiotic (An Everyone Culture) with a continued downward trajectory projected.
Alex
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
***IF YOU ARE A NAVAL OFFICER, YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK***

This is the foundational book for the Navy Leader Development Framework. This book is why the CNO wants to turn the Navy into a deliberately developmental organization. Maybe this kind of thing is up your alley; maybe it isn't. Regardless, it's your duty to read it.

Okay, for everyone else: 'An Everyone Culture' advocates for a new model of organizational professional development rooted in the personal development of each member of that org
Mike Koser
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
The content was good, but I feel the message, and suggested practices could have been communicated in about half the number of pages. It eventually felt repetitious, and as a result slogged on.
Raff Viton
emerging best practices for transformation work.....Rober Kegan & Lisa Lahey are on the advisory board of my new company...I get to work many Jedi-facilitators that train with them directly to be certified in the immunity to change process & tools...amazing to see the way it "unlocks" us ...more
C. Patrick G. Erker
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book offers examples and best practice for, at the core, bringing your "whole self" to work. Although they have termed organizations chronicled here "Deliberately Developmental Organizations" (DDOs), ultimately, it's all about the simple idea that people who can be their full selves at work are most effective at delivering results for their enterprises.
After all, they say at the beginning, middle, and end of the book, most people are doing a "second job" at work, hiding their imperfection
Nic Brisbourne
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
An Everyone Culture proposes something incredibly profound: that companies can succeed by focusing equally on the personal development of their people and commercial success. The two can become one.

To do this well it’s imperative employees bring their hardest most personal development issues to the table. That’s where the biggest gains are to be had.

That requires creating a culture where
- there is clear organisational commitment to personal development
- it’s safe for people to make themselves
Bethany
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Typically I do not read business related books, but was recommended An Everyone Culture by a former colleague. I found the information fascinating and the book itself structured progressively. I enjoyed the two authors' suggestion to read the chapters in an order that you'd get the most use from - truly dedicated to the idea that each individual would work through the content in their own manner.

As an HR professional, I found the content fascinating, but as an employee I found the DDO's inspiri
Przemek
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
Some books are fine as audiobooks, some are not. This is one of them, I think my experience would be better if I had a chance to read and reflect more, highlight and do the exercices.
Book is about 'Deliberately Developmental Organizations' which is a grand idea. What if a significant amount of time would be dedicated to growing people and this, in turn, would deliver better results? Book gives some science as a backing but it's 'applied psychology' that is quite dificult to prove. That said, the
Szymon
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
At first, I thought this would be nothing new after reading 'Principles' by Ray Dalio. Now it looks to me like this book might be a place to start if you are not familiar with the concepts of giving and receiving feedback, transparency, open-mindedness and becoming better self in your workplace. If you enjoyed that book you should probably read mentioned Dalio's book to gain more details about the whole process at Bridgewater.

Great read and I sincerely hope the future will bring more companies a
Joshua Bowen
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I LOVE the premise of the book: becoming/creating a “deliberately developmental organization,” which is one that purposefully integrates the developments of its people with it’s business. Definitely something I’m passionate about.

However, I felt the book’s delivery was a bit short. It was kind of hard to follow in its structure. Ultimately, I think the biggest impact the book had on me was due to the fact that I’ve been fortunate enough to spend 4 days at NextJump’s NYC office. It was my experie
Tasha Scott
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Great concepts but was a tough book to get through. The writing style was wordy and overwrote. It is disappointing it was such a tough book to get through, because we implemented the ITC concept throughout our 180 person company, and it would have been great to have had more people get through the entire book. The owner of our company flew out to take the class hosted by one of the authors and is doing a great job teaching the ITC concept through the company in an easier to understand way. My IT ...more
Everett Shupe
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Kegan and Lahey. Organizational leaders help from the focus of an organization. The leaders of the organizations showcased in this book chose to focus on being deliberately developmental. As an adult learning professional, of course this is something I am in favor of supporting. The first few chapters summarize work in Immunity to Change and discusses how deliberately developmental organizations are different. I like how these three organizations go about becoming deliberat ...more
John
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit of a weakness is that there are only a small number of companies covered in depth -- yes, the final chapter covers some in transition. It isn't enough to prove the approach.

At the same time, the general concepts seem pretty well grounded both from experience and other research. And yet, even as that is true, it's been natural human instinct to run against these concepts.

So from evidence, it's maybe not a four star -- you'll have to see the results yourself -- but in terms of the way modern
Tracy
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to "Deliberately Developmental Organizations" and examples of companies that are achieving this. If there is a way for companies and organizations to make full use of the their employees current and future potential, this is it. I was skeptical about the "everyone" part of this title, but the book describes what it can look like when companies provide work environments that really do meet all employees (those who want to develop themselves) where they are and provide a way ...more
Meredith
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book! It really inspired me to think in creative new ways about what is possible for combining work with people development at a deep level and in a very intentional way. I especially liked the chapters on the DDO framework (deliberately developmental org: home, edge, & groove) and how to find your own edge. I am excited to figure out how to apply these concepts in my organization.

I was disappointed by the chapter on human potential theory since I think they could have based it on
Peter Ophoven
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The future of the workplace.
It seems like a utopia although it exists and there are many examples in the boom of organizations that place the development of the people equally with and as a means to the bottom line.

It requires a great deal of intention and deliberate conversations - agreements and the results are amazing!!!

Coming from the private sector of cubicles and top down mentality this book offers a fresh and inspiring outlook on the future of organizations!
Christine Einsel Haba
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The fun, playful cover is very misleading to the dense, information-packed book within. I found all of it relevant and pertinent to my work, but reading through it took a lot of initiative. From front to back, the authors require you to be actively involved to fully understand and retain what they are sharing. There’s very little room for a mental break. It took me a lot longer to read through this book because it required so much focus, but it’s definitely a book I will revert back to often.
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a work read for me -- we just moved from public to private and are in a period of tremendous change, including a much more focused priority on developing internal talent. An Everyone Culture explored a structure for doing this that I found intriguing. Now I need to find someone else at work to read it - I really want to discuss the ideas in here and the way they relate to our opportunities.
Tithaphong Phongsphetrarat
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
An Everyone Culture is an interesting book being researched in the new areas where company insisting on developing its people through building culture under a principle in which trust required. The book provides a three convincing case study of their people and its practice flourish over number of years.
Tina Panik
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
An in-depth exploration of creating a Deliberately Developmental Organization. This practice takes personal vulnerability and commitment from all levels of a company. Criticism is honest, feedback is constant, and personal growth is linked to company growth. It's radical, because few are currently embracing it.
Colin Ellis
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
'As it happens, the authors of this book are professional educators.' This quote appears at the halfway point of this book, and at that point things made sense as this book was tough to get through, mostly dull and uninteresting but that offered up a couple of good points every now and then. Which is exactly how I felt about school.
Robert Bogue
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend, mentor, and manager of mine once relayed a conversation that he had with the HR manager at our company. The HR manager said that you couldn’t change the stripes on a tiger but – in a sense – this was exactly what my friend was trying to do. He wasn’t content with people where they were. He wanted people to grow and change and become the best possible versions of themselves, even if it was painful, as it often was. He was ahead of his time in trying to carve out his corner of the larger ...more
Philippe Bailleur
Brilliant book

I like the work of Robert Kegan. It helps me motivating my clients to prepare and adapt for a VUCA world. Why? A lot of books stay on a - what I call - tool-level. The work of Robert Kegan gives you a deeper understanding to support the development of companies and leaders. Yes, a fool with a tool is still a fool.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth
  • Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • The Emotionally Intelligent Leader
  • Say What You Mean: A Mindful Approach to Nonviolent Communication
  • Choice Theory: A New Psychology of Personal Freedom
  • Scaling Leadership: Building Organizational Capability and Capacity to Create Outcomes that Matter Most
  • Upstream: The Quest to Solve Problems Before They Happen
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • Metaphors We Live By
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • New Power: How Power Works in Our Hyperconnected World—and How to Make It Work for You
  • Riot Baby
  • No More Feedback: Cultivate Consciousness at Work
  • Lead Yourself First: Inspiring Leadership Through Solitude
  • Dare to Lead
  • Lady Takes the Case (Manor Cat Mystery #1)
  • The Advice Trap: Be Humble, Stay Curious & Change the Way You Lead Forever

News & Interviews

“Better Me + Better You = Better Us” 4 likes
“The way we’re going to be a better company is by your working on yourself, and helping others work on themselves.” 1 likes