Start by marking “An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization” as Want to Read:
An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization

An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization

Exact ISBN match. Free Priority Mail upgrade on US orders.
Published March 22nd 2016 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published January 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about An Everyone Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Everyone Culture

Frank Calberg
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Passages I found particuly useful:

Being yourself
- Page 11: Research by Brené Brown shows that vulnerability is at the core of shame, fear, and our struggle for worthiness. Vulnerability is also the birthplace of joy, creativity, belonging, and love.
- Page 136: If you are too humble / insecure, try to speak up more, be more courageous and more optimistic. If you are too overconfident, try to listen more, take more advice and be more vulnerable.
- Page 154: To be willing to be vulnerable, you must
Darren
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
The core idea of the book is intriguing: looking at how things might be if companies placed their focus on growing the capabilities of all of its employees through personal development and real company-wide teamwork, rather than paying lip service to the concept and building the business around a few alleged superstars.

It is just that the execution of the book felt a bit flat, leading to disappointment and a fair degree of frustration. It felt as if it was repelling the reader’s attempts to focu
Andriy Bas
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
The idea of focusing on personal development and DDO (Deliberately Developmental Organization) is very good.
And advice and practices are great.
However, the style of authors is very boring, and IMHO the content could be cut in half without removing anything important.
Kim
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I resisted reading this for a while because I wasn't truly ready to bring ALL of me to work. I'd experienced - too often - negative repercussions of being too-real, too-honest, too-vulnerable in unsafe work spaces. Recently, I dusted her off, and fell in love with the first paragraph:

"In an ordinary organization, most people are doing a second job no one is paying them for ... spending time and energy covering up their weaknesses, managing other people's impressions of them, showing themselves t
Michele
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars: I've always admired the Kegan & Lahey's research and I enjoyed this book as well. I do question their claim to have identified "A Radical New Model for Unleashing Your Company’s Potential." I've read a lot of books on organizational design, workplace culture, human behavior, and adult learning/development, and I didn't see anything particularly "radical" in Kegan & Lahey's book. Certainly, they've developed a model that is different and by giving it a new name (Deliberately De ...more
Michael Belcher
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sophomoric repackaging of earlier scholarly works on the topic of constructive development (e.g. Immunity to Change). Disappointingly, Kegan's work now span the spectrum from mind-numbing intelligent (The Evolving Self) to the mind-numbing idiotic (An Everyone Culture) with a continued downward trajectory projected.
Alex
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
***IF YOU ARE A NAVAL OFFICER, YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK***

This is the foundational book for the Navy Leader Development Framework. This book is why the CNO wants to turn the Navy into a deliberately developmental organization. Maybe this kind of thing is up your alley; maybe it isn't. Regardless, it's your duty to read it.

Okay, for everyone else: 'An Everyone Culture' advocates for a new model of organizational professional development rooted in the personal development of each member of that org
Raff Viton
emerging best practices for transformation work.....Rober Kegan & Lisa Lahey are on the advisory board of my new company...I get to work many Jedi-facilitators that train with them directly to be certified in the immunity to change process & tools...amazing to see the way it "unlocks" us
C. Patrick G. Erker
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book offers examples and best practice for, at the core, bringing your "whole self" to work. Although they have termed organizations chronicled here "Deliberately Developmental Organizations" (DDOs), ultimately, it's all about the simple idea that people who can be their full selves at work are most effective at delivering results for their enterprises.
After all, they say at the beginning, middle, and end of the book, most people are doing a "second job" at work, hiding their imperfection
Bethany
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Typically I do not read business related books, but was recommended An Everyone Culture by a former colleague. I found the information fascinating and the book itself structured progressively. I enjoyed the two authors' suggestion to read the chapters in an order that you'd get the most use from - truly dedicated to the idea that each individual would work through the content in their own manner.

As an HR professional, I found the content fascinating, but as an employee I found the DDO's inspiri
Szymon
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
At first, I thought this would be nothing new after reading 'Principles' by Ray Dalio. Now it looks to me like this book might be a place to start if you are not familiar with the concepts of giving and receiving feedback, transparency, open-mindedness and becoming better self in your workplace. If you enjoyed that book you should probably read mentioned Dalio's book to gain more details about the whole process at Bridgewater.

Great read and I sincerely hope the future will bring more companies a
Tasha Scott
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Great concepts but was a tough book to get through. The writing style was wordy and overwrote. It is disappointing it was such a tough book to get through, because we implemented the ITC concept throughout our 180 person company, and it would have been great to have had more people get through the entire book. The owner of our company flew out to take the class hosted by one of the authors and is doing a great job teaching the ITC concept through the company in an easier to understand way. My IT ...more
Tracy
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to "Deliberately Developmental Organizations" and examples of companies that are achieving this. If there is a way for companies and organizations to make full use of the their employees current and future potential, this is it. I was skeptical about the "everyone" part of this title, but the book describes what it can look like when companies provide work environments that really do meet all employees (those who want to develop themselves) where they are and provide a way ...more
John
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit of a weakness is that there are only a small number of companies covered in depth -- yes, the final chapter covers some in transition. It isn't enough to prove the approach.

At the same time, the general concepts seem pretty well grounded both from experience and other research. And yet, even as that is true, it's been natural human instinct to run against these concepts.

So from evidence, it's maybe not a four star -- you'll have to see the results yourself -- but in terms of the way modern
Peter Ophoven
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The future of the workplace.
It seems like a utopia although it exists and there are many examples in the boom of organizations that place the development of the people equally with and as a means to the bottom line.

It requires a great deal of intention and deliberate conversations - agreements and the results are amazing!!!

Coming from the private sector of cubicles and top down mentality this book offers a fresh and inspiring outlook on the future of organizations!
Philippe Bailleur
Brilliant book

I like the work of Robert Kegan. It helps me motivating my clients to prepare and adapt for a VUCA world. Why? A lot of books stay on a - what I call - tool-level. The work of Robert Kegan gives you a deeper understanding to support the development of companies and leaders. Yes, a fool with a tool is still a fool.
Colin Ellis
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
'As it happens, the authors of this book are professional educators.' This quote appears at the halfway point of this book, and at that point things made sense as this book was tough to get through, mostly dull and uninteresting but that offered up a couple of good points every now and then. Which is exactly how I felt about school.
Robert Bogue
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend, mentor, and manager of mine once relayed a conversation that he had with the HR manager at our company. The HR manager said that you couldn’t change the stripes on a tiger but – in a sense – this was exactly what my friend was trying to do. He wasn’t content with people where they were. He wanted people to grow and change and become the best possible versions of themselves, even if it was painful, as it often was. He was ahead of his time in trying to carve out his corner of the larger ...more
Chris Coffman
Fascinating subject, poor execution. The chapters are organized in a way that breaks up the case studies but doesn’t lend any clarity to the concepts. The book is also stuffed with filler, like pull quotes that appear to be lifted directly from corporate websites. The Immunity to Change chapter is good, but a repackaging of prior work.
Tithaphong Phongsphetrarat
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
An Everyone Culture is an interesting book being researched in the new areas where company insisting on developing its people through building culture under a principle in which trust required. The book provides a three convincing case study of their people and its practice flourish over number of years.
Tina Panik
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
An in-depth exploration of creating a Deliberately Developmental Organization. This practice takes personal vulnerability and commitment from all levels of a company. Criticism is honest, feedback is constant, and personal growth is linked to company growth. It's radical, because few are currently embracing it.
Nancy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I never thought I was going to make it through this book, but mission accomplished. It was slow and poorly organized. You'll find a few valuable nuggets, but have to wade through so many boring stories and sidebars.
Alejandro Perez
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must for anyone that wants to focus on the development of the people in the organization. Some radical stuff compared to the average company but completely worth following. We’ll be using this book as a guide for this new journey.
Andy Cleff
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Subperb

What a wonderful journey through what is possible when organizations exist that allow our whole selves to show up!

Heart, hands, and minds. Imperfections and rough edges. Perfections and sparkles.
Joitske Hulsebosch
I liked the focus of this book: putting the Development of professionals at the core of your Organization. However, the focus was purely on sift skills. I missed the link to information flows and the information society
Tony Richards
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me and I'd recommend it to others who have read Frederic Laloux's Reinventing Organisations or the work of Ken Wilber as it builds on the integral models they describe. A great exploration of the fixed and growth mindsets at an organisational level.
Kate
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting read for leaders in education

As a leader in education, I love to read books about organizational change. This book offered a new look at how to grow people and has me thinking about teachers. Highly recommended!
Claire E Jones
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely inspiring game changer for the world of business and the world of personal development. A must-read for anyone who works, lives, and breathes.
Mihail Pricop
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Relevant examples of good practices to a learning and individual approach in business.
Mike
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
pure crap
  • The Best Team Wins: The New Science of High Performance
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
  • The Power of Habit: be Efficient in Everything you do
  • The Power of TED (*The Empowerment Dynamic)
  • Draw to Win: A Crash Course on How to Lead, Sell, and Innovate With Your Visual Mind
  • Six Frames: For Thinking About Information
  • Doing the Right Things Right: How the Effective Executive Spends Time
  • Grow a Pair: How to Stop Being a Victim and Take Back Your Life, Your Business, and Your Sanity
  • Analysis Without Paralysis
  • Clockwork: Design Your Business to Run Itself
  • Begin with Yes: A Short Conversation That Will Change Your Life Forever
  • Your Strategy Needs a Strategy: How to Choose and Execute the Right Approach
  • Key Management Models: The 60+ Models Every Manager Needs to Know
  • Real Influence: Persuade Without Pushing and Gain Without Giving In
  • Return on Character: The Real Reason Leaders and Their Companies Win
  • The Art of Negotiating the Best Deal
  • The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Better Me + Better You = Better Us” 2 likes
“The company’s other primary commitment—to radical transparency—goes much deeper than the glass office walls. Every meeting is recorded, and (unless proprietary client information is discussed) every recording is available to every member of the organization. Each office and meeting room is equipped with audio recording technology. For example, if your boss and your boss’s boss are discussing your performance and you weren’t invited to the meeting, the recording is available for you to review. And you don’t have to scour every audio file to find out whether you were the subject of a closed-door conversation. If your name came up, you’re likely to be given a heads-up, just so that you will review the file. In effect, there is no such thing as a closed-door conversation; everything is part of a “historical record of what is true.” 1 likes