Start by marking “The Tudor Tutor: Your Cheeky Guide to the Dynasty” as Want to Read:
The Tudor Tutor: Your Cheeky Guide to the Dynasty

The Tudor Tutor: Your Cheeky Guide to the Dynasty

From the bloody Wars of the Roses to Queen Elizabeth I’s iconic rule, the Tudor Dynasty was a period of sex, scandal, and intrigue. Monarchs such as Henry VIII and Queen Elizabeth I have become a part of modern pop culture, resulting in endless parodies, satires, rumors, and urban legends that grace our television screens. But as with all urban legends and parodies, facts ...more
Published November 3rd 2015 by Skyhorse (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Tudor Tutor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tudor Tutor

Start your review of The Tudor Tutor: Your Cheeky Guide to the Dynasty
Navi
This was a very fun and entertaining read! I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about the Tudor period but feel overwhelmed about where to start. This is a quick and accessible introduction with a great sense of humour!
Orsolya
Those active in the Tudor online community are probably familiar with Barb Alexander’s “The Tudor Tutor” in which she presents Tudor history lessons in a sassy and witty way making it ‘fun’ and accessible. Alexander offers her knowledge for the first time in print-form in, “The Tudor Tutor: Your Cheeky Guide to the Dynasty”.

“The Tudor Tutor” is a slim volume offering a quick overview of the main topics in Tudor history. Imagine Alexander’s angle as bullet points or a play off her blog/site but w
Small Review
Okish. Not unlike my HS rundown of the Tudors: mildly humorous (with the attempt stronger than the output), mostly accurate, and missing a whole lot of nuance and information.
Noah Goats
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A breezy history of the Tudors for fourteen year olds who like history and don't know anything about the Tudors yet.
Erin
Sorry, not for me. Almost DNFed. Too basic for beginners and too bloody patronising for anyone else. And the overexaggerated Americanism got on my last nerve. Not my cup of tea at all, which is disappointing, as I enjoy "The Tudor Tutor" on social media.
Liesel Moultrie
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy read to give you a basic history lesson on the Tudor Dynasty. You can read it in one sitting.
Ruth
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
The illustrations are my favorite part of the book, and they really are gorgeous, though unfortunately unlabelled, so there's a good deal of guessing as to who or what they are. Overall, I found this a bit disappointing, as I had quite high hopes going in.
Crysta Coburn
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A quick read that was entertaining and quite cheeky. Puts different pieces of the dynasty into perspective.
Jenny
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute and fun. Quick read. Light treatment of the subject matter. Accompanied by nice illustrations.
Cathy
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
This reads like an extended blog entry, because I believe that's what it is. Cute and fun enough. Illustrations are quite nice.
Crystal Rhodes
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun read over one of the most intriguing English dynasty's.
Deb
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I quick and easy read about the Tutors. It was a good review for me of the Tudors and all of the important persons who influenced them, especially the many Thomas'. I thought it was pretty accurate too. I liked reading all of the highlights. And, her lists of possibilities for many of the historic details were interesting. For example, why did Elizabeth choose to not marry: she was aware that a male would undermine her power; wife meant motherhood and she knew the health risks of that since so m ...more
Leslie
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased, historic, humor, fun
"And we'll never be royals
It don't run in our blood
That kind of lux just ain't for us
We crave a different kind of buzz" Lorde

I really liked this short fun 50000 ft view of the Tudor era I can't think of anything new I learned from it and there may have been one or two things I am not sure I agreed with but if you want to more about Tudor history without getting bogged down in minutia or listening to Lucy Worsley mangle her r's; or it it her t's well I can't remember but it makes me crazy, this i
Claudia
Cheeky is definitely the right word to use. Also tongue-in-cheek, flippant and sarcastic.

A speedy look at the Tudors from Henry Tudor overthrew Richard III to become Henry the VII through an introduction of James the First of England who took the throne from his deceased cousin, Elizabeth I and started the Stuart line of kings. The kings, their queens and important ministers/councilors to the royalty.

The illuminations were well done but I would have appreciated a note identifying who or where i
Susan Stewart
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book! As someone who loves the Tudor time period, I knew much of the information. However, the author, Barb Alexander, has given us the history of this time period in a fresh and funny way. Filled with little known facts, this light-hearted account of the Tudors made me laugh out loud. Her condensed account of each of Henry's six wives made them individuals instead of a group. Or is that a gaggle of wives? I'm not sure. If you love the Tudors and all of their inconsistencies ...more
Patti
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Want to know a little more about Henry VIII and his six wives? Want to know how he found himself heir to the throne? Want to know who Cardinal Wolsey was? Or Lady Jane Grey? A romp through this fun and informative little book will tell you all of that---and much more. Although it's a fairly thin volume, it is highly informational and does a great job of bringing the principal players of the Tudor era to life.

Entertaining too, and with fun illustrations as well. If you are fascinated by Tudor hi
bookstacking
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I knew going into this that I wouldn’t learn much since I already know a lot about the Tudors. Still, I expected to enjoy my reading. However, I really disliked the way it was written. I guess I just wasn’t the right target for this. 🤷🏻‍♀️ If you don’t know much about the Tudors already, this might be helpful; if unlike me, you can get over the bad attempt at humour and exaggerated popularization.
Blair Hodgkinson
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-tudors
This charmingly illustrated book is the perfect way to introduce a young person to the Tudor Dynasty, giving them enough to get a basic picture of that royal family and suggestions on points that might make for additional research. It is a light introductory book, written with humour; if you're looking for an academic history, this isn't it. The illustrations add a little extra character.
Kari
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5. It’s a decent overview of the entire dynasty with a family tree and beautiful illustrations. But it often felt like she was sacrificing accuracy for humor or for efficiency. Sometimes the facts felt so skewed that they sounded wrong, which I knew because of how in depth I’ve read on the tudors. Clear bias but decent discussion on the whole.
Arne Pedersen
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brava! My kind of historien!

The Tudors in a nutshell. Written with a great lot of humor, the fastslår are clear, and I now have what I need of the Tudor periode , and can leave the in-depth studies to Thorsen that need it for their doctoral disputations etc. I love history when it is presented that way. Thank you for a splendid book!
Liz
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Just a quick, waiting-for-a-library-book read. This is an easily digestible nonfiction introduction to the Tudor kings and queens, great for beginners or if you are looking for a quick review. I'm brushing up on my English history in preparation for a trip this summer.
Patti
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is definitely NOT your usual boring and stuffy book about the history of the Tudors!

The author teaches the history of the Tudors with a sense of humor making the book very readable and lighthearted even if the situation wasn't!

Very enjoyable!
LDuchess
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gift from Kathy F... Short descriptions and portraits of Tudor royals, from Henry VII to Elisabeth I. Accurate, plus some humor. It's an easy reference to all those, as well as a timeline of applicable dates.
Emily
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: byl-reads
I love everything Tudors, and this book was a fun overview. I appreciate that it didn't attempt to play favorites or overly villainize anyone, but rather portrays both their good and bad sides equally.

If you want a fun and quick overview of the Tudors, this is definitely the book for you.
Cel Jel
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written with tongue In cheek, and in a light easy manner, this is an excellent 'tutor' for allowing someone to learn more about the Tudors. I have a fair knowledge, but still really enjoyed the run through, and even learned some from the book. A quick easy read.
Meagen Parker
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, quick read about the Tudors

Very interesting and helpful information to understand the Tudors as well as the other players in their lives. Well written and thoroughly researched.
Kathy C.
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

As a history buff, in particular, royal Europeans, I already loved the topic. The author told the story in such a humorous, clear way that this book was a "can't out it down" book. I hope Barb Alexander writes more! I'll be in the front of the line!
Suzanne
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tongue in cheek

Written with a sense of humor. Plenty of information on the Tudor line, with out being a boring history book.
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
An entertaining read with gorgeous illustrations.
Jena Lang
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun, cheeky guide to the Tudor dynasty. The illustrations are lovely.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Worlds of You: Poetry & Prose
  • The Strange Case of the Moderate Extremists (Detective Varg, #0.8)
  • The Armies
  • The Women of the Wars of the Roses: Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort and Elizabeth of York
  • A History of the World in 21 Women: A Personal Selection
  • Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society
  • Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed History
  • Wolves of Winter (Navajo Nation Mystery #6)
  • The Princes of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #1)
  • The Case of the Four and Twenty Blackbirds
  • Rhody Jones
  • Countdown (Newsflesh Trilogy, #0.25)
  • A Bottle Full of Djinn (Sunnyside Retired Witches Community #1)
  • Mutts & Murder (Dog Town USA #1)
  • Katharina: Deliverance
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #0.50)
  • Dear Sweet Pea
  • The Engagement Gift (The Gift, #1)