Start by marking “The Tudor Tutor: Your Cheeky Guide to the Dynasty” as Want to Read:
The Tudor Tutor: Your Cheeky Guide to the Dynasty

The Tudor Tutor: Your Cheeky Guide to the Dynasty

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  325 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
From the bloody Wars of the Roses to Queen Elizabeth I’s iconic rule, the Tudor Dynasty was a period of sex, scandal, and intrigue. Monarchs such as Henry VIII and Queen Elizabeth I have become a part of modern pop culture, resulting in endless parodies, satires, rumors, and urban legends that grace our television screens. But as with all urban legends and parodies, facts ...more
Published November 3rd 2015 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Tudor Tutor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tudor Tutor

Orsolya
Those active in the Tudor online community are probably familiar with Barb Alexander’s “The Tudor Tutor” in which she presents Tudor history lessons in a sassy and witty way making it ‘fun’ and accessible. Alexander offers her knowledge for the first time in print-form in, “The Tudor Tutor: Your Cheeky Guide to the Dynasty”.

“The Tudor Tutor” is a slim volume offering a quick overview of the main topics in Tudor history. Imagine Alexander’s angle as bullet points or a play off her blog/site but w
Small Review
Okish. Not unlike my HS rundown of the Tudors: mildly humorous (with the attempt stronger than the output), mostly accurate, and missing a whole lot of nuance and information.
Noah Goats
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A breezy history of the Tudors for fourteen year olds who like history and don't know anything about the Tudors yet.
Erin
Sorry, not for me. Almost DNFed. Too basic for beginners and too bloody patronising for anyone else. And the overexaggerated Americanism got on my last nerve. Not my cup of tea at all, which is disappointing, as I enjoy "The Tudor Tutor" on social media.
Liesel Moultrie
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy read to give you a basic history lesson on the Tudor Dynasty. You can read it in one sitting.
Ruth
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
The illustrations are my favorite part of the book, and they really are gorgeous, though unfortunately unlabelled, so there's a good deal of guessing as to who or what they are. Overall, I found this a bit disappointing, as I had quite high hopes going in.
Jenny
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute and fun. Quick read. Light treatment of the subject matter. Accompanied by nice illustrations.
Crystal Rhodes
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun read over one of the most intriguing English dynasty's.
Cathy
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
This reads like an extended blog entry, because I believe that's what it is. Cute and fun enough. Illustrations are quite nice.
Crysta Coburn
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A quick read that was entertaining and quite cheeky. Puts different pieces of the dynasty into perspective.
Deb
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I quick and easy read about the Tutors. It was a good review for me of the Tudors and all of the important persons who influenced them, especially the many Thomas'. I thought it was pretty accurate too. I liked reading all of the highlights. And, her lists of possibilities for many of the historic details were interesting. For example, why did Elizabeth choose to not marry: she was aware that a male would undermine her power; wife meant motherhood and she knew the health risks of that since so m ...more
Susan Stewart
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book! As someone who loves the Tudor time period, I knew much of the information. However, the author, Barb Alexander, has given us the history of this time period in a fresh and funny way. Filled with little known facts, this light-hearted account of the Tudors made me laugh out loud. Her condensed account of each of Henry's six wives made them individuals instead of a group. Or is that a gaggle of wives? I'm not sure. If you love the Tudors and all of their inconsistencies ...more
Patti
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Want to know a little more about Henry VIII and his six wives? Want to know how he found himself heir to the throne? Want to know who Cardinal Wolsey was? Or Lady Jane Grey? A romp through this fun and informative little book will tell you all of that---and much more. Although it's a fairly thin volume, it is highly informational and does a great job of bringing the principal players of the Tudor era to life.

Entertaining too, and with fun illustrations as well. If you are fascinated by Tudor hi
Blair Hodgkinson
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-tudors
This charmingly illustrated book is the perfect way to introduce a young person to the Tudor Dynasty, giving them enough to get a basic picture of that royal family and suggestions on points that might make for additional research. It is a light introductory book, written with humour; if you're looking for an academic history, this isn't it. The illustrations add a little extra character.
Emily
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: byl-reads
I love everything Tudors, and this book was a fun overview. I appreciate that it didn't attempt to play favorites or overly villainize anyone, but rather portrays both their good and bad sides equally.

If you want a fun and quick overview of the Tudors, this is definitely the book for you.
Cel Jel
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written with tongue In cheek, and in a light easy manner, this is an excellent 'tutor' for allowing someone to learn more about the Tudors. I have a fair knowledge, but still really enjoyed the run through, and even learned some from the book. A quick easy read.
LDuchess
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gift from Kathy F... Short descriptions and portraits of Tudor royals, from Henry VII to Elisabeth I. Accurate, plus some humor. It's an easy reference to all those, as well as a timeline of applicable dates.
Patti
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is definitely NOT your usual boring and stuffy book about the history of the Tudors!

The author teaches the history of the Tudors with a sense of humor making the book very readable and lighthearted even if the situation wasn't!

Very enjoyable!
Meagen Parker
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, quick read about the Tudors

Very interesting and helpful information to understand the Tudors as well as the other players in their lives. Well written and thoroughly researched.
Liz
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Just a quick, waiting-for-a-library-book read. This is an easily digestible nonfiction introduction to the Tudor kings and queens, great for beginners or if you are looking for a quick review. I'm brushing up on my English history in preparation for a trip this summer.
Lisa
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was ok. A little simple. A good book for a young person with little knowledge of, but interest in, the Tudor dynasty.
Jena Lang
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun, cheeky guide to the Tudor dynasty. The illustrations are lovely.
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
An entertaining read with gorgeous illustrations.
Bronwyn
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Nothing I didn’t already know.
Kevin Key
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy -easy and fun to read

I wanted a book that would give me an overview--an outline to British history and this book did that, at least as it relates to the major "players."
Jess
Bad jokes. Bad "facts."
Suzanne
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tongue in cheek

Written with a sense of humor. Plenty of information on the Tudor line, with out being a boring history book.
Serena
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A little too cutesy for my tastes. The information is sound, but there is nothing new in it. I would describe myself as an expert Tudor hobbyist, and I think this book is better suited to people who don't know very much about the Tudors and enjoy chuckling mildly while reading history.
Stacie
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-tudors
I might as well just put “Happy Stacie” as the title of this blog post. I kid you not. Read the title again. Go on now, read it. Do you see that middle word, there? Tudor. Oh yes. It says Tudor. As in, my very favorite time period in the whole entire history of time periods! (With the exception of Bible times. Nothing tops that.)

I am a Tudor enthusiast. I have studied the Tudor Era from the time of Elizabeth Woodville and her husband, King Edward IV (technically not Tudors, but you get my drift)
Niki
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not too bad - starts in a rather comical (cheeky) way, but then after a while, you réalize you've read something funnier by terry deary - anyway, the book is short, so you have an almost fun evening
  • Great Tales from English History, Vol 2: Joan of Arc, the Princes in the Tower, Bloody Mary, Oliver Cromwell, Sir Isaac Newton & More
  • Our Lady of Guadalupe: Mother of the Civilization of Love
  • Virgins of Venice: Broken Vows and Cloistered Lives in the Renaissance Convent
  • Saladin: Life, Legend, Legacy
  • The Six Wives & Many Mistresses of Henry VIII: The Womens' Stories
  • Fire in a Canebrake: The Last Mass Lynching in America
  • The Mistresses of Cliveden: Three Centuries of Scandal, Power and Intrigue in an English Stately Home
  • Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln
  • Saints Behaving Badly: The Cutthroats, Crooks, Trollops, Con Men, and Devil-Worshippers Who Became Saints
  • The Way We Ate: 100 Chefs Celebrate a Century at the American Table

• The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Definitive Book of Body Language
  • Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Poor Your Soul: A Memoir
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life
    $9.99 $3.49