Start by marking “Liars and Losers Like Us” as Want to Read:
Liars and Losers Like Us

Liars and Losers Like Us

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  241 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
Keep calm and make it to prom night—without a legit panic attack.

For seventeen-year-old Bree Hughes, it’s easier said than done when gossip, grief, and the opportunity to fail at love are practically high-fiving her in the hallways of Belmont High.

When Bree’s crush, Sean Mills, gives her his phone number, she can’t even leave a voicemail without sounding like a freak. Then
Published March 22nd 2016 by Sky Pony Press

To ask other readers questions about Liars and Losers Like Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liars and Losers Like Us

Ami Allen-Vath
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know about pre-orders:

Preorder Liars and Losers Like Us anytime from now until March 1, 2016 and receive a free bookmark, postcard and a personalized, signed bookplate. To claim your swag, just email amiallenvath@gmail.com with "PREORDER SWAG REQUEST" in the subject line. Please include a picture or screenshot of your receipt in the body of the email. You're awesome and thank you!
Marci Curtis
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AHHHHHH...THIS BOOK.

Wow.

A twisty, addictive story brimming with hilarious characters, prom drama, and, yes, heart.

Loved. It.
Ashley Blake
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book really encompassed so many high school feels for me. It was a perfect blend of fun and serious and the romance is so, so sweet, I can't even. Loved it!
rachel • typed truths
Well, I am more than pleased to say that my first book of 2016 was a hit! I accidentally stumbled across Liars and Losers Like Us when I downloaded the Kindle app on my new iPad and checked what was in my cloud that I had forgotten about. I swear I only meant to read the first chapter, just to get a feel for the book... and then it was two & a half hours later and I was crying 'cause it was over.

I don't know what, exactly, it was about this story but I loved it. It was exactly the sort of s
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've had the privilege of reading PROM BITCH as Ami's critique partner, and I can't wait to read it again! The memorable characters and Mean-Girls vibe are totally addictive.

Read it. Love it. Repeat!
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Perseus/PGW/Legato and Edelweiss.)

“If anyone would’ve told us last year that we’d be up for prom queen and our dates are the hottest guys in school, we’d have laughed our asses off.”

This was an okay story, but it seemed a bit slow.

Bree was an okay character but I didn’t really love her. It was good of her to apologise to a certain person, but like she admits herself in the book, she did it quite cov
Melissa Robles
A GAZILLION STARS GUYS. SO MANY FREAKIN' STARS. ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Whenever a book really hits me, because of its awesomeness and sparkles, I usually end up wanting to email the author SO BAD just to thank him/her for writing the book. To express all my feels and smother them with praise. I hardly ever do it because #shyness, but this time I came close. So close that I even have the draft and everything. SO VERY CLOSE in fact that I actually DM'ed Ami on Twitter, emoji hearts and all (hey, everything is eas
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I'll have my full thoughts up as part of Sunday Street Team!
WARNING: There is suicide mention and a full blown panic attack in this, which can be triggering for some people! Please be cautious while reading this, friends.

This was a really good read. Allen-Vath can WRITE, that's for sure. And she does so in a way that not only feels realistic but tells the story in a way that you want to read it. There were some paci
Amanda Perry
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Liars and Losers like us by Ami Allen-Vath
Release date March 15 2016

I can't remember if I ever read a book where the MC infuriated me SO much! That's what makes this book so fantastic. Bree drives me nuts and her teenage mind makes the choices that frankly LOTS of teens might make. More than once I found myself screaming at the book " NO BREE Just pick up the phone!"

The romance is perfect Sean Mills is super swoony and some of the girls poor Bree has to put up with are down right wretched.
This
Tina
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! At first, I was worried that this would be the standard contemporary YA fare, but as I started reading, it soon became obvious that there is a depth to this book.

All of the characters are flawed, all the while struggling to just "be", especially in the world of proms and high school. Although there are a lot of ups and downs with each character and mainly with Bree (Breeze), you still feel the love the author has for both the characters and her story.

Sprinkled with a love
Natalie
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!
Lois Sepahban
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to read an advanced copy of LIARS AND LOSERS LIKE US.

I loved this contemporary romance, both for the relatable main character, Bree, and for Sean, her sweet and swoony love interest. This book tackles difficult subjects, like teen suicide and anxiety, and as a person who has suffered from acute anxiety, I found the portrayal to be sensitive and honest.

I strongly recommend this book.
Christina
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Funny and touching and swoony all at once -- my favorite kind of book.
Dahlia
I blurbed this! Here is what I said: "Liars and Losers Like Us is a story of secrecy, pain, and, self-awareness artfully wrapped in snort-laugh-out-loud humor and heart-melting romance, as the best and truest adolescent tales are. Bree Hughes is a YA heroine to remember."
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Liars and Losers Like Us is a book I wanted to read because the premise sounded like it addressed a lot of important topics. Topics like depression, suicide, popularity and other issues teenagers have to face in a single book. And while all that is going on as well, there’s a massive fuss about prom. I was a little nervous because I wondered how this book was possibly going to cram all of that into its pages, but somehow it managed it, and managed it perfectly.

At the beginning of the book, I did
Rê
3.5 "Prom can be a real nightmare" STARS

ARC via Edelweiss - Thank you, Sky Pony Press!!

* Trigger warning: this book talks about suicide and bullying. *

Bree Hughes is the first main character to make my 2016 "unlikable character" list. Oh, well, Bree, this is another title to add to your list. ;-)

Jokes aside, this book touched a lot of sensitive topics, such as bullying, sexual abuse and suicide, all while following the MC's quest to becoming the next Prom Queen - sort of -- and a better person.

A
Rhea Dsouza
Feb 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Where the synopsis promises drama, heartbreak, grief, and even swoons, Liars And Losers Like Us unfortunately failed to deliver.

This book was a huge, huge disappointment to me.  You see, according to the blurb, when Maisey, a student from her school commits suicide, protagonist Bree Hughes tries to deal with the guilt of not having helped Maisey when she could, and deals with her grief alongside her boyfriend Sean Mills.  But what I got was a flimsy portrayal of Maisey being bullied, her tragic
BethLee
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r4r
I RECIEVED AN eARC OF THIS BOOK FROM SKY PONY PRESS THROUGH EDELWEISS. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT MY VIEWS OR OPINIONS ABOUT IT IN ANY WAY.

Liars and Losers Like Us is a touching romance novel with a lot of teenage drama.

Bree Hudges is a typical 17 year old girl. Prom is coming up at her school, and that means a lot of drama for everyone. When the class nerd, Maisey, who is constantly being teased, steps down from her prom court nomination, she lets Bree take her place. A few days later, Maisey commit
Bailee
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march-2016
I’ve always found it interesting to see how authors choose to portray things like high school and bullying. It certainly is a common thread within YA novels and I feel like everyone has a different take on the impact of those two entities. First, high school is either an exciting experience filled with new adventures or it is the epicenter of some of the most traumatizing moments. Second, bullying is something that is either at the forefront of the novel, in the subtext, or discussed but never r ...more
Julia's
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
damnnnnn. this book's ending touched on a great subject, but i do wish the author touched on the subject earlier in the book. the romance in this book was once of the greatest, i loved how cute the couple was and how Bree (the main character) didn't focus her entire life onto the boy, like many other contemporary romances. one of my favorite things about this book was how each character was dimensional, and had their own issues.
Emily
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After finishing this book, I'm a little distressed that I haven't been hearing more about it. I want to see it being raved about like it so deserves. I love the author's twitter presence/person so much so as soon as I heard about the book, I had a feeling I would really connect with it, but I honestly underestimated how much I would.

Liars and Losers Like Us has the shade of Pretty Little Liars (and really, Sara Shepard in general) that I'm extremely drawn to in contemporary YA. This book is less
Lauren R.
I honestly don't think I've ever felt so conflicted about a book. On one hand, the writing felt very weird and awkward most of the time. It made me roll my eyes a bit and just want more from each paragraph. On the other hand, it was interesting and addicting. There were some moments that made me laugh out loud and some that made me cringe. Coming in at under 200 pages, this book was super short and could have benefited a lot from 100 more pages of real stuff (instead of more dates and parties). ...more
ReadWriteLove28
Review to come closer to release date!
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! I got a copy from YA Books Central for review.

Diversity Rating: 3 – Closer to Reality

Racial-Ethnic:
2 (Bree is Mexican through her father and talks about it openly; a minor character named Brian Wang has a Chinese surname but never sees his identity confirmed otherwise)
QUILTBAG: 1 (Brian is gay; a minor character/friend of Bree’s named Sam is a lesbian or bi and I forgot to note which)
Disability: 2 (Bree goes to a therapist about her panic attacks; Maisey
Jacquelyn
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was given access to an e-ARC of this book from Sky Pony Press on Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Hmm.. I was expecting to like this more than I did. I sort of was expecting a lighter and more happy contemporary but in the end, it really wasn't. There were fluffy parts but this book deals with some really tough topics as well, which in the end I came to appreciate.

For this being so short, it felt much longer than it is. It was really drawn out and it felt repetitive. The characters a
Grace Williams
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bree Huges may not make it through senior year without quite a few panic attacks. Her problems range from her parent’s recent divorce to the super sexy Sean Mills, but nevertheless staring at Sean can’t fix all her problems. When Bree is invited to be on Prom Court because another student declines the invitation Bree goes to apologize to Maisy Morgan, the school outcast who declined the nomination, but its too late. Maisy commits suicide and Bree’s world is turned upside down when she realizes M ...more
Abbie
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Edelweiss, In exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

The characters in this weren't bad, but they annoyed me at times, so I can't say I liked them.

I didn't enjoy this one very much unfortunately. I just found it to be rather dull, and the book felt longer than what it was because it was dragging.

Overall, Not an awful read, but not one I enjoyed.
Natasha Sinel
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My blurb!

Witty, heartbreaking, and extremely thoughtful, LIARS AND LOSERS LIKE US will take you on a roller coaster ride to prom that will leave you breathless and wanting more. –Natasha Sinel, author of THE FIX
Kelly Gunderman
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

Actual Rating - 3.5 Stars.

This was another super hyped YA release that I was really looking forward to, and when I got the chance to read it, I was really excited. I more or less jumped into this the day I received it, but from the very beginning of this book, I had mixed feelings. It started off slow, and then didn't really pick up pace until the end.

I honestly had a really hard time rating Liars and Losers Li
Nicole Lynn Hoefs
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic Sunday Street Team read. I received a copy from Edelweiss to review, and ended up giving this book 3.5 out of 5 stars.

So the characters…Bree was a pretty good main character overall. I wasn't sure about Sean, but he was okay. I'm not sure he's a book boyfriend though. The relationship Bree had with her mom seemed realistic for the most part, except some lack of parental concern. But I liked that it was overall pretty positive. Jane's a character I loved to hate, but I liked tha
  • Girls Like Me
  • Dear Martin
  • N/A
  • The Hate U Give
  • My So-Called Bollywood Life
  • How to Make a Wish
  • Sometimes We Tell the Truth
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • Alterations
  • I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl
  • Enter Title Here
  • The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love
  • Flower
  • Wild Swans
  • Escaping Perfect (Escaping Perfect, #1)
  • Lessons in Falling
  • 27 Hours (The Nightside Saga, #1)
  • Burning Eddy
Ami Allen-Vath was born and mostly raised in Minnesota.

Since college, (SCSU, Hunter College, City College) Ami has performed with Just The Funny improv troupe in Miami, FL. She's also performed in two productions of The Vagina Monologues in Atlanta, GA, the state she met her husband.

She now lives with her family, including their dog Yoda, in New Jersey.

Ami loves great and terrible TV, ice cream,
More about Ami Allen-Vath

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • I Capture the Castle
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)