Start by marking “Political Animals: How Our Stone-Age Brain Gets in the Way of Smart Politics” as Want to Read:
Political Animals: How Our Stone-Age Brain Gets in the Way of Smart Politics

Political Animals: How Our Stone-Age Brain Gets in the Way of Smart Politics

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Can a football game affect the outcome of an election? What about shark attacks? Or a drought? In a rational world the answer, of course, would be no. But as bestselling historian Rick Shenkman explains in Political Animals, our world is anything but rational. Drawing on science, politics, and history, Shenkman explores the hidden forces behind our often illogical choices. ...more
Published January 5th 2016 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about Political Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Political Animals

King, Warrior, Magician, Lover by Robert L. MooreThe Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph CampbellIron John by Robert BlyA Circle of Men by Bill KauthA Little Book on the Human Shadow by Robert Bly
A Circle of Men
111 books — 16 voters
The Republic by PlatoThe Prince by Niccolò MachiavelliPolitics by AristotleCapital, Vol 1 by Karl MarxHonor and Polygamy by Omar Farhad
Politics
304 books — 400 voters

More lists with this book...

Atila Iamarino
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cognicao
Fico entre 3 e 4 estrelas para este, acabei arredondando para cima. É um bom livro, com ótimas noções de como vieses cognitivos são explorados ou pelo menos aparecem na política. Serve como um bom compilado. Mas nos pontos onde fala sobre de onde vêm esse ou aquele viés, o livro é extremamente finalista. Para o autor, tudo o que fazemos hoje vem de uma situação bastante específica do nosso passado onde, por exemplo, "as pessoas só depositavam confiança em quem conheciam pessoalmente". Nada contr ...more
John Kaufmann
Fabulous book. This book doesn't deal with what makes us liberal or conservative. Instead, the focus is on the biases and brain bugs we (collectively as well as individually) use to choose our leaders.

These biases, or heuristics in the scientific nomenclature, are part of our nature. They are mental routines and shortcuts we use to make decisions, the result of evolutionary pressures on our hunter-gatherer ancestors to make good-enough decisions with minimal expenditure of brainpower (energy).
Jackson Schad
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has recently become interested in being a civically engaged citizen, this book proves an excellent primer.
itpdx
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This explains a lot! Rick Shenkman takes us through what we have learned about our instincts. Our instincts evolved in the Pleistocene when we lived in small bands of hunter-gatherers. Our curiosity, empathy, view of truth and ability to read people are adapted to very different circumstances than we currently live in now. Shenkman explains what this means for our politics. At the beginning this interesting but discouraging. Are we capable of adapting our gut reactions to the modern political pi ...more
David
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I made a list of books about how our minds affect political behavior in unconscious or non-intellectual ways. I began with this based on a Washington Post review that spoke of its relevance to the 2016 election.

Not having read the other books, I can't compare them. This book has significant gaps / biases. He seems to get half of the lessons of some studies and to only understand some of the relevant differences between hunter-gatherers and our society.

I agree with him that using a "story" to pre
Ben
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
There's nothing earth shattering in this account of how our rational brain tends to break down in the irrational world of politics, but with election season upon us, it's a helpful reminder of four proven truths: (1) People are surprisingly incurious and apathetic about politics, (2) We have a hard time seeing the truth in politics and politicians, (3) We punish politicians who try to tell us the truth, and (4) We can feel empathy on a small scale but not on a big scale, where it's needed most. ...more
Suzan
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some people have found this superficial, and if you are a policy wonk it probably is. It isn't AIMED at policy wonks. It's aimed a people like me who are deeply puzzled by the current election season. And it helps understand it in an entertaining way. If you are anti-evolution, don't bother. If you have no trouble thinking our distant ancestors had different life requirements from us, it will explain how we still have behaviors useful for hunter-gatherers messing up modern democracy.
Michael
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
First section very interesting. dropped off a bit by the end
Jurij Fedorov
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a really good intro psychology book for beginners but as you may expect it is a bit more of the same for psychologists who already know a lot about biases.

Pro:

The author explains everything with simple terms and I was time after time surprised by how well he explained theories and studies that are usually are a bit hard to explain in practical terms. He presents the science of bias in an evolutionary psychology light and along the way I learn a few new things even as a nerd on this topic.

Co
Alayna
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
When I read these types of books, I have a hard time deciphering if my reaction is lukewarm because I'm already familiar with a lot of the studies referenced, or if the book is simply just not that great. I was hoping for more concrete take-aways, but maybe my disappointment is more driven by the complexity of human nature. I did find that the author's anecdotes and explanations became very repetitive, almost like he couldn't trust the reader to understand a concept the first time he explained i ...more
Eduard
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A good book but a difficult read at times. It also gets dragged down by the fact that it could've been shorter (although I appreciate the thoroughness that Shenkman takes to detail all the research he did) and also that in some chapters it just keeps saying the same thing but in a different way. Don't know if that was the author's intention but that's how I perceived it.
David
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
In these days of divisive rhetoric and post-truth politics it is hard to understand the reasons why voters make the choices they do. Rick Shenkman's book, Political Animals: How Our Stone-Age Brain Gets in the Way of Smart Politics, gives readers many clues. Recommended.
Paul
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shenkman offers scientific research to help explain why we make political choices which are neither in our own best interests nor in the best interests of the society and nation as a whole. Many forces within our own psychology contribute to this bad decision making and we are also very much influences by our heredity and upbringing.
The analysis offered in this book rests upon research and surveys explaining many forces not previously factored into evaluating why elections turn out the way they
Billie Pritchett
The book is fine, I guess, but most of it smacks of common sense and those things that don't ring familiar. Better to hear Rick Shenkman talk about his ideas in Political Animals on YouTube or on a podcast, putting for instance the ascension of Donald Trump as a presidential candidate in perspective. Here are some highlights from Shenkman's book.

One has to do with this longstanding idea in anthropology and it amounts to this. We've got brains that are only designed to keep track of about 150 peo
Chris Aylott
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This book takes the predictably irrational actors of economics and applies them to politics. Shenkman calls out some interesting research and historical outcomes to show that -- again, not surprising to an economist -- we're not nearly as rational as we like to think we are. We have all kinds of biases and an amazing ability to rationalize political "decisions" that have been influenced by random, unrelated events.

All of which is good stuff that is well worth covering in the book. At the same t
Malin Friess
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shenkman argues that the public often makes irrational choices when voting for political candidates. We are guided by our instincts and not rational arguments.

If you enjoy Presidential History you will enjoy this book.

Did you know President Grover Cleveland had oral cancer on his hard palate. He kept the Surgery secret by being operated on a cruise ship leaving from Washington DC and keeping his mustache intact.
Did you know Clinton did far more to reform Welfare than Ronald Regan?
Did you know
Cathy
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Our brains and first reactions have not caught up with our quick pace society. An interesting study of all kinds ways this plays out.

pg 231
Humans...are bad at predicting the future...because (it) is unknowable. All we have to go on is the past, and the past is often a poor guide, particularly in times of great flux.....but as long a we are open to evidence.....willing to try new approaches...we'll probably hit on a solution. FDR 'If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, Try
Groucho42
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Has some good points but Franz DeWaal said it better in "Chimpanzee Politics." Worse, he succumbs to his own descriptions when talking about Watergate. On page 102, he points out that, "the trial of the Watergate defendants began in January 1973 ... In March one o the Watergate burglars confessed to the judge in the case that he had committed perjury to protect the White House." The point is that the first confession that it was a coverup that went all the way to the White House happened five mo ...more
Deborah
Tom Zingarelli narrates Political Animals: How Our Stone-Age Brain Gets in the Way of Smart Politics by Rick Shenkman with character and wisdom. As we face a major season of election, this timeless book instructs and advises the listener how to wisely choose their candidate, and how events affect the outcome of elections. The material is user friendly for the common man to learn how the political machine works. Recommended to voters of all ages, especially those young voters who are confused and ...more
Doug Cornelius
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
People are overly reliant on their peers in guiding their political views. Most of us are less likely to read a story with a position that we oppose. We have less personal interaction with our politicians and rely on television ads and news snippets to guide our views. Then add in human biases. No wonder we can't figure out who to vote for.
Ian Rose
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting. There are some points I would argue with, but those are hugely overshadowed by the study results and examples that go into why we make the political decisions we do and how we interpret the flood of information that comes at us these days. One of my favorite nonfiction books of the last few years.
Du
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-govt
Really well thought out and created look at how politics and politicians operate and integrate in our lives. The examples used to dissect the ideas are spot on and recognizable. The author does a great job putting together a narrative that is curious, intelligent, and interesting.
Richard Scholtz
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It contains the cure to our problems, but few will ever do what's required. Rick Shenkman has encapsulated a very common sense approach, with anthropology, psychology, and political-science. The unfortunate truth is uncovered, as the cliché says, "nothing comes without effort."
Gary Itano
Feb 02, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gary by: KPFK
16202 #@#% 90.7 Letteres&Politics
Chris Hokanson
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The practical application of Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow for our modern political world.
Angela Juline
May 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well...a lot of interesting information - just not sure what should be done with it. He does have a chapter that attempts to answer that question, but I didn't find it to be very well laid out.
Jack
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lucid, sometimes wryly humorous, extremely informative, and with a minimum of redundancy, this is an excellent read for politics, science, and philosophy enthusiasts alike. Recommended.
Jake Young
Jun 13, 2017
Kaw
May 26, 2017
Alice Forsythe
Jul 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • ISIS Exposed: Beheadings, Slavery, and the Hellish Reality of Radical Islam
  • Back Channel to Cuba: The Hidden History of Negotiations Between Washington and Havana
  • The Negotiator: A Memoir
  • Augustine: Conversions to Confessions
  • Base Nation:  How U.S. Military Bases Abroad Harm America and the World
  • The Family Tree: A Lynching in Georgia, a Legacy of Secrets, and My Search for the Truth
  • Sicily: An Island at the Crossroads of History
  • Last Chance Mustang: The Story of One Horse, One Horseman, and One Final Shot at Redemption
  • Find Your Brave: Courage to Stand Strong When the Waves Crash In
  • Disconnected Kids: The Groundbreaking Brain Balance Program for Children with Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Neurological Disorders
  • The Story of Alice: Lewis Carroll and the Secret History of Wonderland
  • Angel in Aisle 3: The True Story of a Mysterious Vagrant, a Convicted Bank Executive, and the Unlikely Friendship That Saved Both Their Lives
  • The One True Barbecue: Fire, Smoke, and the Pitmasters Who Cook the Whole Hog
  • Ordinarily Well: The Case for Antidepressants
  • The Forgotten Presidents: Their Untold Constitutional Legacy
  • A Short History of the Printed Word
  • War Dogs: Tales of Canine Heroism, History, and Love
  • Nation on the Take: How Big Money Corrupts Our Democracy and What We Can Do About It

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • Slouching Towards Bethlehem: Essays
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions to Help You See It and Seize It
    $9.49 $2.99
“we’re going to react the way we react to things that happen to us—but that doesn’t mean we have to surrender to our instincts and give up the hope that we can think and behave more rationally and humanely. There’s a reason why we no longer take pleasure throwing live cats into open fires, as both kings and peasants once did. Our culture has trained us to think this is abhorrent. That’s promising.” 1 likes