Start by marking “Fireblossom (The Western Novels/Matthews Novel #1)” as Want to Read:
Fireblossom (The Western Novels/Matthews Novel #1)

Fireblossom

(The Western Novels/Matthews Novel #1)

THE WILD WEST OF 1876 WAS NO PLACE FOR A LADY
And Madeleine Avery was every inch a fine Philadelphia lady, from the top of her tidy head to the tips of her ivory kid shoes. Gold had lured her father to the Black Hills – but with neighbors like Wild Bill Hickock, Calamity Jane, and a Little Bighorn survivor, Maddie just didn’t fit in. Then she met Fox Daniel, rugged strong,
Published April 19th 1993 by Ballantine Books (first published September 23rd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Fireblossom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fireblossom

Misfit
Katerina
A complete waste of time and money.

If I really wanted to read about North America in 1874, General Custer, the Lakota nation, the Siouxs, Benjamin Franklin, Calamity Jane, Crazy Horse, the Battle of Little Bighorn and the history of the Black Hills, this book wouldn't have been my first choice....

But right now, I feel like I have become an historical expert for this time period and you can ask me anything there is to know about.
This author made sure to provide me with all the facts and details.
Nola Arganbright
Excellent

Another great historical romance by Cynthia Wright! Based on the Black Hills of North Dakota, in a time of native American and Settler unrest the story gives the reader a glimpse of many historical facts and characters.
Mermarie
Nov 21, 2013 marked it as to-read
Freebie today.

Stepback. :)

Andrea
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook
I liked the historical aspect of it, but I didn't enjoy the rest of the story that much.
Morgan
Dec 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
The massive amount of backstory in the prologue killed it for me.
Stacey
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
IN A RENEGADE'S EMBRACE, formerly known as FIREBLOSSOM, is the second of Cynthia Wright's Western Rebels/Rogues Go West series. Unlike BRIGHTER THAN GOLD, it does have ties to Wright's past books. Madeleine Avery's grandmother, Susan Hampshire O'Hara, is Lion and Meagan's daughter from TOUCH THE SUN. It is 1876, their mother has died, so Maddie Avery and her brother Benjamin travel west with their grandmother to live with their father in Deadwood, South Dakota. Deadwood is a far cry from what th ...more
Lillian Cummings
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel "Fox" Matthews had no choice but to ride off from the battle, his pleas had fallen on deaf ears and now he is trying to put his life back in order. And he has found the perfect place Deadwood, South Dakota but nothing really goes to plan when he meets Maddie Avery. Maddie has arrived with her brother and her grandmother and she is surprised at what she finds. Fox is a good man but he really gets to her and she isn't looking for love and definitely not with him. But her heart wants him no ...more
Dana Redding
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a Renegades Embrace

Fox was an advisor to Custard during the land clearing of native Indians for the president. A scout told Custard that there were more Indians than he could battle, he was not going to listen to his scouts. Fox ask Custard to reconsider his actions but he told Fox to leave and not to come back.

Deadwood is where Fox ended up. Maddie her brother and grandma arrived to live with her father. Her mother died and he sent for his children. Ben who is Maddie’s brother has a tenden
Mallory
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jan Perry-Rhys
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating historical read

Excellent historical romance ! I particularly enjoyed the stories of the historical figures. The couple's stay with the Lakota was very revealing. Ms Wright's skillful writing combines a sometimes difficult relationship with tense times in history. Hard to put down!

Jane
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed but was confused, turns out this book sells under two names and it turns out I have them both. I'm not a Deadwood fan, so I imagined it was a town other than Deadwood, of course all the famous people who lived in Deadwood made an appearance in this book, again not a fan of Deadwood. But I enjoy this author so I finished the book.
Kathy
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn’t stand this book. It dragged on. I normally love these types of stories but not this time. The heroine was pathetic. At 78% I actually stopped reading it. I think this is a first for me. I never ... not finish but it was so boring.
Kathy Brickert
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

A true example of what historical romance should be! Love this author! This was really a re-read for me, but it had been so many years I enjoyed it all over again! Love the history and the description of the Black Hills! Wonderful read!
Marilyn
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

This is one that tells how the Indians were treated how our government chose to treat them fairly.they were treated horabley
Renee
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book holds a very special place in my heart. I spent many, many summer vacations in the Black Hills of South Dakota, where this story takes place, and it is my favorite place on this earth.

The story of Fox and Maddie drew me in immediately, probably because of the location, but I soon found myself totally engrossed in their individual stories.

Maddie depicted the true strength of the women of her time in traveling across the country to begin a new life. While surprised by the living conditio
Mhollie
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cynthia-wright
This is my second read of this book. I read the paperback when it was originally published in 1993 and now I did the re-read of the Author’s Cut Kindle version, given to me courtesy of the author, Cynthia Wright.

Straight-laced Madeline Avery is intent on making a home for her family in the rough Dakota Territory town of Deadwood and she’s bringing her stiff-backed ladylike ideas with her. Let’s just say she has some rude awakenings.

Daniel “Fox” Matthews’ soul is torn between what his conscience
Dennis Hinton
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Wonderful Surprise

This book is the exception to my preconceived notions. I usually stay far, far away from any books with a Western theme. It's simply that my personal preference are Historical Romance.
However, when choosing what to read I always note a books star rating and more importantly how many people have taken their time to contribute their opinion.
If it has a significantly high rating, then I read the full description and am hooked. Always remain open and you may stumble upon a great
Cathy Geha
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cynthia Wright’S book Fireblossom is a sweeping historical novel that includes Custer, Crazy Horse, Wild Bill Hickock, Calamity Jane, Deadwood, gold prospecting, Chinese living in Deadwood, soiled doves, saloons, and a prim and proper lady that ends up in Deadwood. There is a wagon trip across open country and a stay with an Indian village with the man she loves. A half-sister to find, bad guys to thwart, gunfights and more are presented as sidebars in this story of Madeleine and Dan. In some wa ...more
Regina Mastrogiacomo
Going West was sure an adventures.

Story starts well and lets us see the both sides of the Native American wars, and how they effect those who are associated with them. The relationships that surround the couple are more engaging then their own, except when they visit the Native American village and find out the truth of how they lived.
Angie Peoples
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fireblossom was an incredible suspenseful historical romance about The Little Big Horn and Deadwood. The characters were so lively and entertaining. I so enjoyed all the historical aspects of this book because with the authors vivid description of these events and places, you feel as though you can see, smell, hear, and taste them. The author has created a well written historic romance book.
Nubia Sanchez
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pretty good story!! It really show how ppl were very discriminate and prejudice against the Native Americans in the past. I like how this two character Daniel "Fox" Matthews and Madeline "Fireblossom" Avery appreciate and understand the Native American culture. This story shows how we need to understand and appreciate all the different culture especially in America! I love it!
Bella
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely Western Historical Romance story as only Ms. Cynthia Wright knows how to put beautifully together. Real life characters that will make you laugh. It was an Amazon freebie ebook to introduce you to Ms . Wright's novels. One of my favorites of hers is Caroline.
Sandy Blake
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great history lesson

Well written novel about romance, life, and Western changes. Thought-provoking about the white man bringing changes to the West and how it affected the Indians.
Victoria
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read
Regina Butler
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book a lot!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Oct 01, 2015 10:39AM

• After The Ashes
  • To Tame a Renegade (Delaney Trilogy,#2)
  • The Bride Wore Feathers
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • The Texan's Bride
  • California Caress
  • Much Ado About Marshals (Hearts of Owyhee, #1)
  • Ship of Dreams
  • Prisoner of Desire
  • Dance With A Gunfighter
  • Dark Warrior: To Tame a Wild Hawk (Dark Cloth, #1)
  • Captive Rose (Captive Brides #2)
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • His Dark Desires (Trevelyan, #2)
  • Wild Wild Widow
  • Passion's Tide
  • Another Dawn
Cynthia Wright is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the two Rakes & Rebels series, 11 intertwining historical romances starring the irresistible Raveneau & Beauvisage families. She has also written beloved series set during the Renaissance and in the American West. Romantic Times Magazine hails Cynthia's novels as "Romance the way it was meant to be."

Cynthia’s newest n

The Western Novels/Matthews Novel (3 books)
  • Brighter than Gold (Western Rebels #1)
  • Wildblossom (The Western Novels/Matthews Novel #2)