Start by marking “A Sorceress of His Own (The Gifted Ones, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Sorceress of His Own (The Gifted Ones, #1)

A Sorceress of His Own

(The Gifted Ones #1)

From the New York Times bestselling author of the acclaimed Immortal Guardians series comes an enchanting new series full of romance, danger, and loyalty: The Gifted Ones

Since the day Lord Dillon earned his spurs, rumors of his savagery on the battlefield have preceded him into every room, stilling tongues and sparking fear. Weary of battle, he wishes only to find a woman
Published June 2nd 2015 by Dianne Duvall

To ask other readers questions about A Sorceress of His Own, please sign up.
Yogesh Jain Our Hero would have blackmailed the King into it just like he did in the ending.…moreOur Hero would have blackmailed the King into it just like he did in the ending. (less)

Start your review of A Sorceress of His Own (The Gifted Ones, #1)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Crossing myself and praying for more Stars

*May contain some spoilers*

photo dillon7_zpsc2bashff.gif

I loved Dianne Duvall from the first book of hers that I picked up, Darkness Dawns from the Immortal Guardians series. With each book of hers I have read my love has grown, and this book is no different. Dianne Duvall continues to impress me with her writing . Wow did I love this book!!! I enjoyed everything about it and the only wish I had for this book, was that it was longer.

"A few hours in my arms and you believe
Isa Lavinia

DNF @ 35%

This has to be one of the most clichéd and boring books I've ever read.

The story starts with Alyssa, the Wisewoman's granddaughter who, at sixteen, believes herself madly in love with Lord Dillon, whom her grandmother serves.
I know we're all familiar with love at first sight, but this is actually love at NO SIGHT.
This girl has literally NEVER met this guy.
But she fell in love with what she knows of him from the things her grandmother tells her, despite him being known as a
Lyn
Audio - 4.5 stars
Story - 2.5 stars

I went into this book thinking it was going to be a dark fantasy romance, but it was more sweet, bordering on cutesy at times. If my mind hadn't been set of a darker read, I would have enjoyed it more.

Aisling Zena
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I'm not sure how to class this book. Is it fantasy if it's based in medieval times but with magic powers? I have no clue. It's based around 1191 with Richard I as King. But clearly our heroine has powers. Do not expect a grand historical with minute details of life in medieval times, even the King isn't mentioned that much. The historical aspect is the setting, the magic and it's impact the plot.

Alyssa decides to take her grandmothers place as Wisewoman/advisor to Lord Dillon. In order to
Paige  Bookdragon
"Our people have been made well aware of who my bride is and will welcome you with open arms." Glancing away from her, he muttered,"Or risk losing their heads."

description

Big yes.

I think some of my friends would definitely enjoy this book. It's absolutely no-brainer, it's fluffy, there are some swoon-worthy moments and no angst.

Hundreds of years ago, at the beginning of King Richard the Lion heart's reign, there are some people who has special powers. Let's call them the Gifted Ones beause...well, they
Jo
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-5-stars, gr2016, mine
“You should not have hidden the truth from me.”
“W-What truth?”
“That the woman I have waited and searched so long for has been by my side for years.”

Alyssa is a gifted one, with the power to heal. Because of her gifts she is labelled a sorceress, and almost all fear and despise her because of these powers. And for the last seven years she has been healing Lord Dillon and giving him council. Hiding herself from him, making him and everyone else believe her to be her grandmother who served

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

She saves him, he discovers she's not really a crusty old croon. Lusty thoughts and love making on a bed of rose petals under a star-speckled sky, with songbirds singing a beautiful melody and butterflies fanning their sweat-dampened skin in the warm night air.

And they all live happily ever after. Vomit

Okay, okay, fine I may have exaggerated a little. No, now seriously, this was a lot better than I was expecting, she was a strong female lead, he was a devoted yet rugged hero and the sex was
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: NC-17
Steaminess: HOT
Overall: It was a good read.
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Keeping love at a distance
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Dillion

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
This is one of my favorite authors. It took me a little longer than I’d hoped to get into the story. Once I was there, I was all in.

For a full review and yummy pic, see my blog post at:

Audio Review
Somia
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fierce warrior Lord Dillion, has garnered a reputation of being a savage fighter on the battlefield, a reputation which has led to him being feared. After so many years he is weary of battle and longs for peace and quiet and a woman, a wife who will be a companion and lover. What he doesn’t realise is the woman of his dreams may be nearer than he expects – Alyssa.

We are told 7 years have passed since Alyssa took over from her grandmother, in which time Dillion and Alyssa have become very close,
AJ
Great read, I loved it!

4 stars

This is the first book in the Gifted ones series, but it actually ties into Duvall’s Immortal Guardians series, as a prequel of sorts. Set in 12th century England, it is the story of Gifted One, Alyssa, and Lord Dylan, the warrior with a romantic heart.

A Gifted One is a human who possesses special powers. In Alyssa’s case, this is the power of healing, with some seer abilities. She is constantly subjected to scorn and hatred by those who fear her gifts and suspect
D.G.
**2.5 stars**

I went into this book thinking that it was going to be a fantasy romance but instead, it was PNR set in a medieval period (or a historical romance with supernatural elements.) I still haven't decided which.

The premise was great but it really didn't work for me when I realized that not every noble had his own "wise woman" in tow. If her powers were so rare, why wouldn't the King himself take her to work for him? When it was proven that she could heal wounds with her hands, the
JAIME
This is had the 'feel' of one of Kristen Ashley's stories - except that it was 100% less rapey and 100% less annoyingly written. The hero 'respected' the heroine. Crazy, I know.

I let one of my colleagues choose what book I was reading last night (really, I set her loose on Amazon with my login details) and I'm soooooo glad I did. I can definitely see myself re-reading this one again sometime. It wasn't the most amazingly written book I have ever read, not even close. But, the story was just
☕️Kimberly
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Sorceress of His Own takes us to 1198 England and the keep of Lord Dillon, Earl of Wescott. Feared by many and respected by all, Dillon is a fierce warrior, defender of the crown, and a fair lord. His chief advisor and resident healer is the "Wisewoman." Cloaked in dark robes, no one has seen her face. Others perceive her an old woman whom some believe is immortal. She served both his father and grandfather.

There is much Dillon does not know about his Wisewoman. At the age of sixteen, Alyssa
Vanessa theJeepDiva
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This first installment in Duvall’s new Gifted One series takes readers to 1198 England. Fierce warrior Lord Dillon, Earl of Wescott wants something that all of his warring and concurring has never attained him. In fact the warring and conquering have hindered him in acquiring the one thing he wants most, he desires a bride. More than anything he wants a constant companion, partner, and confidant in that bride. The only person that comes close to meeting those criteria is the wizened old Wise ...more
Ivie ✩Born to Magic-Forced to Muggle✩
When it comes to old English, some writers have the ability to write it in such a way that transports you in time...

Then you have some authors that manage to sound like this...
Squad goals

Nuff said...
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
That ending...kinda ruined the book. You have to read it to understand. I feel, almost, cheated :O
Ezinwanyi
The author describes this book as a prequel to the Immortal Guardians but it has a different feel to it.

I really enjoyed this one because while it focused a lot on Dillon and Alyssa, the author still kept me guessing as to who was trying to kill Lord Dillon and their motives. There was a lot of passion but there was a lot of adventure too.

Dianne Duvall always creates likable characters and this book was no exception. The plot was very interesting and engaging. I couldn’t stop listening to the
Sunny
It's been awhile since my Immortal Guardian book and this story reminds me how much I miss this author's writing. I really like the historical setting in the Immortal Guardian's world. I love this hidden/mistaken identity trope, but wondered how Dianne Duvall would proceed after a fairly early reveal. Not to fret, she does wonderful job. . I am a sucker for stories that involve noble self-sacrifice. I really liked the characters and felt connected to their stories. The author does a wonderful ...more
Kelly at
Review will be posted at www.books-n-kisses.com .

NUMBER OF HEARTS: 5
REVIEW:
Amazing!! I have fell in love with Ms. Duvall and her Immortal Guardian series (waiting not so patiently for the next books). So when Ms. Duvall said she was writing a book about ‘The Gifted Ones’ and how the whole Immortal Guardian world came about I was beyond excited to read. When I was given the chance to read an advance copy I was over the moon. Then I opened the book.
And fell in love this this book.
Alyssa is
Maree Repa
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Quest for Love

Five Amazing Stars

I was just thrilled to revive the astounding and most brilliant first series. The Gifted One. Written by my first time, Dianne Duvall. Such a marvellous romantic thriller. I thoroughly enjoyed this most wonderful tale of these Immortal Guardians. Finding this story so hard to put down.

It was England in the late 12th Century, Dillion stood close by when suddenly Alyssa appeared. She was here always here to help out his troubling self. She was there to be there
Darcy
I like this author's Immortal Guardians series, like the note that she had at the beginning where this story came before that series and it is loosely connected.

I felt for Alyssa and the situation she was in. She was hiding so much. I liked when Alyssa's secrets came out and Robert's eyes were opened. This changed things for them both, gave them both love and acceptance. I was glad that things worked out and they were able to actually marry while still keeping their station in life.
Amy
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
3-1/2 Witchy Romance Stars

If I never hear the word *mayhap* again, it'll be too soon.
Malinda
4.5-5 stars

This was a great start to a new series. I've loved Duvall's Immortal Guardians series (that starts with Darkness Dawns) and was very pleased to hear that she was writing a historical story about the early "Gifted Ones". There's no mention of Immortals (or vampires) in this story outside of a brief cameo by Seth and Roland (from the Immortal Guardians series) so this story can be easily read without having read the other series.

Alyssa is a gifted one...someone that was born with
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
Dianne Duvall takes readers on a sweeping, powerful journey through 12th century England in a time rife with superstition where finding, and keeping, love is an arduous battle for even the most hardened of knights.

Alyssa has been in love with Lord Dillon, the Earl of Wescott, since the day she saw him defend her grandmother as a child. Now, years later she is by his side as his adviser, healer, and friend. But for the last seven years Lord Dillon has only ever known her as the ancient wise
 Reading In Pajamas
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Blog Tour, Review & Giveaway: A Sorceress of His Own (The Gifted Ones Book 1) by Dianne Duvall http://wp.me/p3d0RZ-2tR
Publication Date: June 2, 2015
Reviewed by: Reading in Pajamas/ Cori
Rated 5 Stars

REVIEW:
I loved this book! "A Sorceress of His Own" is the first book in Dianne Duvall's Gifted Ones Series. The Gifted Ones Series is a spinoff series from The Immortal Guardians Series. Some of the characters from the Immortal Guaridans are in The Gifted Ones Series, but you do not have to read
L.R.W. Lee
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I was disappointed by this book.

I've read my share of romance novels. Most allow the feelings and infatuation to be experienced throughout the action. I kept asking myself how so many pages could be consumed with nothing happening but what's in the protagonist's head.

I also found the man unrealistic. What man swoons ALL THE TIME about a woman? This guy was obsessed nigh to the exclusion of much else, with this woman who has been persecuted. Enough already!

I couldn't take any more and won't be
Mara
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pnr, historical
Boring. No world building. at all. a weird mix of light para and lighter historical. So deja read.
But mostly wrong, wrong, wrong cover. Use man titties, it's more honest.
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}

So I really, really like the premise of this and the start had me absolutely hooked but I think I might be broken because Dillon, the big bad warrior, was just a little bit too sappy for me. I need to look at my choices in life because the lack of an alpha-hole kind of bummed me out. Amazingly I found Alyssa to be way more kickass and hardcore than Dillon.

"Alyssa, you just told me that last time I touched you it caused you pain. I do not do so now because I do not wish to harm you. But that
Hollie
This was a nice and creative historical/fantasy novel. Here's my breakdown:

Pros:
* A strong willed and independant heroine
* LOVED this book cover
* The world created was very unique
* It read like a standalone - no brutal cliffhangers etc.

Cons:
* Priced on the high side at $5.99
* While I do consider this a safe read - the hero has had sex in the past (and of course our heroine is a virgin who seceretly is in love with the hero). It was meaningless sex in his opinion and thankfully there were no

• Predatory (The Sentinels, #0.5, Immortal Guardians, #3.5)
  • On the Hunt (The Sentinels, #2.5; Immortal Guardians, #5.5; Underworld Detection Agency, #6.5; The Scorpius Syndrome #0.5)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Demon Unleashed (Stealth Guardians #7)
  • Heart of Fire
  • Burn (Dark in You, #1)
  • Selkies are a Girl's Best Friend (Mystic Bayou, #3)
  • The Curse Giver
  • Phoenix Unbound (Fallen Empire, #1)
  • Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1)
  • Entreat Me
  • The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland, #2)
  • Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1)
  • Blood Truth (Black Dagger Legacy, #4)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • A Scandalous Marriage (Marriage, #2)
  • Warprize  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)

Dianne Duvall is the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author of the Immortal Guardians and The Gifted Ones series. Reviewers have called Dianne's books "fast-paced and humorous" (Publishers Weekly), "utterly addictive" (RT Book Reviews), "extraordinary" (Long and Short Reviews), and "wonderfully imaginative" (The Romance Reviews). Her books have twice been nominated for RT Reviewers'

The Gifted Ones (2 books)
  • Rendezvous With Yesterday (The Gifted Ones, #2)
“He brushed her lips with a gentle kiss. “Please, Alyssa. You have fought by my side before, do so one last time, and I promise you the reward will be far greater than we ever dreamed.” 1 likes