Start by marking “Black Balled” as Want to Read:
Black Balled

Black Balled

(Black Balled #1)

Two dominant males, two worthy adversaries, in a business that takes no prisoners, will soon learn that fate refuses to be ignored . . .

My name is Troy Babilonia, but I'm best known as Babu, a renowned literary critic with my own online column. I'm followed by thousands! I'm a living god in the literary world. I have no filter, and for that, my flock of humble followers a
Published April 27th 2015 by Andrea Smith

To ask other readers questions about Black Balled, please sign up.
Aisling Zena Baba gave a negative review to Ms Smiths book which was not received well by the author. Then Ms. Smith wrote another book under another name and cont…moreBaba gave a negative review to Ms Smiths book which was not received well by the author. Then Ms. Smith wrote another book under another name and contacted Baba under false pretenses to review it. She again received a negative review for the new book which she also did not accept gracefully. Then she wrote this book and named a character Babu and the original blurb was much different than the one currently here. This is Baba's review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
which includes original screenshots of the previous blurbs and reviews. Personally I think if you are in a profession that depends on public opinion then you should learn to receive the good and the bad with equal grace.(less)
Jane A From what I understood is that someone reviewed a previous book of this author badly and decided not to read any more books of this author. Then the r…moreFrom what I understood is that someone reviewed a previous book of this author badly and decided not to read any more books of this author. Then the reviewer was contacted by another author to review one of their books and the reviewer disliked that one as well. That's when that author decided to verbally attack the reviewer. A bit later the reviewer found out that the authors where the same person and has now written this book.(less)

Start your review of Black Balled
Mar 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Things I had never done before today:

1. I NEVER had a shelf for books I wouldn't read.

2. I had NEVER given a book I hadn't read (or tried to read) a 1 star rating.

3. I had NEVER shelved a book that I had no intention of reading.

4. I had NEVER named and shamed an author for bad behaviour (oh I had a private list of authors that I would NEVER EVER FUCKING READ) but I'd NEVER listed them in public.

5. I had NEVER had any interaction with the reviewer Baba (I've seen lots of brilliant reviews written
Lisa Henry
Mar 22, 2015 marked it as just-no
Hey, remember that time that Haywood Smith got sued for taking someone from her real life and turning her into a character in a book?

I'm betting that Andrea Smith doesn't.

Here's Baba's review of this book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I actually don't have enough words for how disgusting I find this.

Seriously, fuck any author who thinks this is in any way an appropriate response to a review.

You know what reviews are? Opinions. And everyone i
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Mar 20, 2015 marked it as will-never-ever-read
Baba be like

This is entirely unacceptable, in EVERY possible way!

I'll let you in on a secret: A one star review could never destroy your writing career.... but you know what can?? This SHIT right here!

It is BEYOND unacceptable to write a story based on a reviewer who just happened to not like your book. Oh, and then to turn around and expect people to pay money to read that garbage.... HAH.

Hope you have better luck in whichever career you decide to pursue next.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Shelves: douche-waffle
Edited to add this disclaimer: This 1-star rating is for the blurb alone, and this review contains my reaction to the original book description which is included - via screen shot - further down the page. This is not an attack on the author, just my own expression of dismay over why such a book (or such a description) would be written - a book that, based on this original blurb, I have no intention of reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Self fulfilled prophecy - the title of this book pretty much sums up
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Shelves: just-no

And here I am, teaching respect to children. Sigh.

Do I know the reviewer? Nope.
Do I know the author? Nope, nope.
Does that change anything to the fact that I find this kind of behavior FUCKING AGRESSIVE AND DISRESPECTFUL? Nope, nope, nope.

And I don't give a damn if the blurb has changed. People have to understand that we are entitled to our own opinion. Nowadays, it seems more and more difficult to write a 1-star review (or even a 2-stars, for that matter) without suffering from 1)agressiv
♡Karlyn P♡
Mar 20, 2015 marked it as books-i-wont-support
One of my favorite and most trusted reviewers on GR is Baba, so color me surprised to see this book written in her honor. Errr....well, maybe not 'honor'. Sadly, it is enough for me to say 'pass'.

Book description: "My name is Babu, and I'm a reviewer--no scratch that, I'm a living god in the review world. I have no filter, and for that, my flock of humble followers are forever grateful. If it weren't for me, they wouldn't know what to read. I have zero tolerance for the weak-minded attention se
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
4.25 Sade/Cyrano Stars

So with all the controversy surrounding this book and reviewers – authors – editors – publishers – Goodreads….need I go on? Look, I try to sit back and let it all just unfold in front of me without putting my two cents in but it gets to a point where I just can’t hold it in any longer.

In my opinion, who the fuck cares? This isn’t a popularity contest – this isn’t about cliques. Are we all lemmings? Ready to jump off the cliff like the reviewer/author before us? Who’s beat o
~IreneOust~
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Here is the thing ... I am well aware of the controversy surrounding this book but I also like to be able to make up my own mind. So when I was asked to review an ARC of this title, I was happy to say YES.
For the record, I am not a BFF of either author nor am I particularly familiar with their previous work.
I went into this with ZERO expectations and ...

I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by 'Black Balled'! Everything about this book was FLAWLESS! The story line is pretty unique which already sets this
Nicholas Talty
Mar 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
I attempted to put a copy through my shredder but my shredder informed me that even it can't digest bullshit like this.
Ivie dan Glokta
May 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: the-hangman, nope
Yes, i have read it, and it may come as a shock to some people but i didn't like it, regardless the hype. Yesterday morning i had no clue who the author was, or any idea that there was controversy surrounding this novel. I simply picked it up and started reading. By chapter six I was pissed off and i came to GR to check this book out because i simply couldn't believe what i was seeing. I wholeheartedly believe that this novel was a stab at your generic reviewer. I also believe that the MC was i ...more
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
****4 " Holy Blue Balls" Stars****

" They say there is a thin line between love and hate. Well, I just realized that line gets even thinner when it comes to lust."

Black Balled is a entertaining tale of two Alpa Males whom unexpectedly become more than adversaries . . . a lot more!

Larson Blackburn is an arrogant Indie Author, who wholeheartedly believes he's just as good, if not better than his fellow writers. One morning while scanning his "GREATREADS" page, he stumbles upon a less than glowi
Jen
Mar 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Wow. Just...Wow. At least this book inspired me to add a new shelf...
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
WHAT THE F#CK?! #getoveryourselves
Michelle
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
In Black Balled we see two industry adversaries face off: the author and the critic.

L. Blackburn is trying to make a name for himself and an indie author when he finds his latest review slammed by review Babu. And as much as he knows he should not engage, he just can’t help himself. With one quick hit of the ‘post’ button, the drama ensues as these two face off in a battle of wills that ends up in the most unlikely of places... the bedroom.

What I enjoyed about BB was the humor and bits of sarca
Vanessa J.
Mar 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
Edit: The synopsis changed. This is the original one:

(I took that picture from Baba's review)

They reacted fast.

...

No, seriously. Can I leave Earth and go to a place where there are no human beings? I have no faith in our race.

Now, this one writes a book with the purpose of humiliating a reviewer? As if harassing them was not enough...

Why can people no longer express their opinions without fear of being scolded? Why can't people accept that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and respect t
Emmy
Mar 20, 2015 marked it as badly-behaving-author-come-at-me-gr
No. Just no. You do not write a book about a reviewer because you got a bad review. Grow the fuck up.
Sammy Loves Books

my pony

monster

Original Book Blurb that has been recently changed:

d

My name is Babu, and I'm a reviewer--no scratch that, I'm a living god in the review world. I have no filter, and for that, my flock of humble followers are forever grateful. If it weren't for me, they wouldn't know what to read. I have zero tolerance for the weak-minded attention seekers, nor do I have respec
Kat
Mar 23, 2015 marked it as nts-you-are-not-interested
Think about how KINKtastic this could have been though...

Imagine Peter* wrote 'Pack Behavior' and Stiles totally dissed it on GR, and Peter tracked him down BBA style (I mean, how can he not with a name like 'Hale', right?), and they'd totally have insanely hot reviewer/author hate sex.

* Thanks for pointing out my momentary lapse of judgment, guys!
Eva LeNoir
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm really excited about sharing this book with everyone! I had a great time writing it, even laughed out loud at some of the banter. These two characters have grown on me and now I just miss them terribly.

Writing with Andrea was so easy and fun that it never felt like work. Andrea is an amazing author with ideas that flow easily and a sense of humour that gave our characters what I believe to be a deeper dimension. I have never co-authored a book like this but I can honestly say that Andrea's
~Mindy Lynn~
WOW! This book has gotten some major heat with all the drama around it. I don't know much about the drama and I will continue to be naïve about it. I am not on this reading site for drama I am here to find books that I want to read and enjoy the reviews from all my GR peeps. I've seen a lot of reviews with the one star but the majority of those were from people who haven't read it and more power to them for whatever their reasons may be. But then I've also seen four to five stars from those who ...more
Jane
Books matter. They can do more than entertain; they can enlighten, inspire, shine a light on a dreadful situation and provoke a reaction.

Or, as in this case, demonstrate a complete lack of maturity, common sense, and good manners on the part of the authors.

ETA This was written based on this blurb so that doesn't get lost in the shuffle:

My name is Babu, and I'm a bo
Kelli C
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Black Balls in an Elevator Stars

So I have had this book on my Kindle for a while. It was not gifted to me, I purchased it. With all the swirling controversy…why? Because I like to read. I have found M/M to be extremely fascinating, and I have a crazy curious mind when it comes to the taboo! I know many have made the decision to NOT read this. For me, I chose to do what I do best…I simply read a book.

Completely intrigued, I went into this read a bit blind as I did not want to read the full blur
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
What Navessa and Sarah said.

Original blurb:

Cristina
description

One of the first rules in any circle is: Attack the idea and not the person!

What Ms. Smith has done here was break that cardinal rule (even if she changed the blurb of this book and might not even publish it after all) and attack a fellow reader and reviewer.

I don't usually get involved in this type of confrontations but what she has done is not forgivable and personally I would like this author to be removed from GR.

I have not read this book and don't intend to...this is just my personal o
Elaine
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
4.5 Stars

photo tumblr_m8gryerluu1qlutygo1_250_zps9d3d6b5f.gif

Meet alpha opinionated Troy Babilonia alias Babu... Father of Literary Critics , well that’s how he see’s himself.
 photo large_zpslgeiuldp.gif

So Babu (Troy) is a book critic, reviewer for a online blog and also for GREATREADS. Yes... a spoof of our Goodreads. He has a huge following and his followers love his outspoken reviews.

But Troy’s reviews could make or break an author...does he care ... no

Well one of those outspoken reviews just happens to be about Indie author alpha dominate Larson Blackburn
Isa Jones (Jo&Isalovebooks Blog)
Ok before I start my review I would like to say Hi to all those who I know are reading this and are getting ready to criticise MY point of view.It still amazes me that people are so sensitive at each others opinions. We are all individuals, and we all have a different way to understand, assimilate and comprehend different things. We all admire art, or appreciate art in a different way. For some Picasso is an incomparable genius, for some he doesn't make sense. For some people A Clockwork orange ...more
Eleni-Revekka
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have as a principle to rate only with stars the books I read. I do not write reviews because sometimes I can’t find the right words. So this is my second (and probably the last) review.

When I found this book, I saw all the comments and I thought WTF? You rate a book without reading it??? What is wrong with you people??

Ok, I can understand that you have a problem with the author. OK.

DON’T BUY HER BOOKS!!!!!!

Easy!!! It’s not right to judge her book, her work. If you are so good yourselves, yo
Carla ☺Did I Say That☺
4.5 **I want a sequel!!**Stars
It's nice to read a light hearted comedy every once in a while...
 photo giphy 30_zpsreqonwcv.gif
And the authors were also kind enough to provide a little heat..

Trust me ladies...I put it on my **Glow-Worm hall of fame*** shelf for a reason...lol...but seriously...I'm well aware of the talk surrounding this book...and I thought to myself...should I keep it on my shelf...
 photo 3477456-mfw_i_start_a_flame_war-8773_zps5jb3qhgn.gif
Or read it...well...I'm glad I chose the latter...because I freakin loved this book!!

Full Review to come.....

Multi-Genre?? 1 82 Apr 04, 2015 02:43PM

• If The Seas Catch Fire
  • Giving Chase (Havenwood #1)
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
  • Five Fake Dates
  • More Than Life
  • It Was Always You
  • Unscripted (Unscripted, #1)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book Two (Spencer Cohen, #2)
  • In Safe Hands (Heroes and Babies, #1)
  • Wicked Lies Boys Tell
  • Spencer Cohen, Book Three (Spencer Cohen, #3)
  • The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical #1)
  • Test Drive (Crossroads #3)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book One (Spencer Cohen, #1)
  • The Husband Gambit
  • When Harry Met Harry
  • Break Through (The District Line #2)
  • As You Wish (Shatterproof Bond #1)
As a reader of my books, I hope you'll stop by my web site and sign up for
the monthly newsletter that will keep you updated on upcoming releases,
teasers, event schedule and even some giveaways. I will also have a
mechanism for ordering paperbacks.

You can also find me on my FB author page, and readers and bloggers are
welcome to come by and chat anytime. If you're a blogger, please make
sure to friend

Black Balled (2 books)
  • Hard Edit (Black Balled, #3)

News & Interviews