Start by marking “Uzumaki: Spiral Into Horror, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Uzumaki: Spiral Into Horror, Vol. 3

Uzumaki: Spiral Into Horror, Vol. 3

(Uzumaki #3)

Kurozu-cho, a fogbound town on the coast of Japan, is haunted by a recurring pattern: a spiral manifesting itself in increasingly terrifying ways. In this third and final volume, the town is cut off from the outside by devastating hurricanes. Kirie, her boyfriend Shuichi, and the other desperate survivors must face the impending horror. The movie version of Uzumaki will ...more
Published October 6th 2002 by Viz Media (first published September 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Uzumaki, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uzumaki

Start your review of Uzumaki: Spiral Into Horror, Vol. 3
Trish
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I had only just posed the question of why nobody is leaving town in my review of volume 2 when volume 3 gave me the answer. *lol* So now I knew. Actually quite a smart way of solving that problem.

In this final volume chaos is descending on Kirie's town and due to more and more strange things happening, the outside world is beginning to notice as well and people try to help - with disastrous consequences.

Where the previous two volumes were a collection of strange and horrific incidents
Bradley
Re-read:

I've changed my mind. I don't mind about the end or the twists. The huge crazy was still cool but slightly less impactful this time.

I'm just reading it for the phi. :)

Original Review:

I'm of two minds on this volume. The truly horrific increase was awesome, and I loved how utterly fucked the whole town was.

And then, I also really enjoyed the last issue. These are two different likes. I have to separate them for my own enjoyment.

I would have been perfectly happy with it ending on number
Mario
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Whoa... and I thought first two volumes were crazy. This one takes crazy to a whole new level.

But anyway, a great ending to a really great series. If you're into creepy and unique stories, I would definitely recommend picking up this one, and hopefully, you'll like it just as much as I did.
David Schaafsma
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, manga-horror
In Uzumaki (spirals) a town is taken over by spirals. Spirals, you say? What is scary about that? Look at an ear, that's a spiral, nothing scary about that. Clouds spiral sometimes. Dust in the wind can spiral. Cat fur can kind of spiral. Your hair can kind of spiral. Gradually, all you and the townspeople see are spirals and you and they are driven mad by spirals. Yes, that happens, it does, in Ito's masterpiece. And with spirals! Uzumaki!

It is kind of a neat trick to make an abstract image/a
Elle
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-japan
3.5* STARS!

Uzumaki is Japanese for Spiral.

The final conclusion about the spiral curse in Kurōzu-cho. Our main leads, Kirie and her family moved to their new 'junk' house after the storm in the previous volume. Kirie's family isn't alone. Her neighbor stated there's a rumor about other family who suffered skin disease. It's the spiral curse again.

In the next chapters, the spiral curse is getting more intense and crazy. Kurōzu-cho already destroyed by the storm but there's some survivors. Also
Ash Ebrahim
Jun 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No ONE (Unless you are addicted to SPIRALS)
Recommended to Ash Ebrahim by: Aqeel
Shelves: read-manga
Well....... WTH was the book about???? :S
thinking, trying to remember...................................... oh SPIRALS and what else?? thinking... OH I KNOW SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS etc.
I'm just sitting wondering what to say about it. I guess I will just nag.
SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS AND SPIRALS
THIS SERIES WASTED maybe 5 HOURS OF MY LIFE
SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS AND SPIRALS
I have NO IDEA FROM WHAT PART OF BRAIN THIS
Danger
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Uzumaki finishes up with this final volume. While the weirdness stayed consistent, the body-horror elements took somewhat of a backseat to more action-based scenes, and the episodic way it progressed earlier now only serves the overarching storyline, which makes sense considering everything needed to get wrapped up. Unfortunately, nothing in here quite touches the two “pregnancy” chapter from volume 2, which is not to say this is bad, but that was REALLY good. Still, volume 3 gives us a ...more
Emily
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to read about people turning into snails and whatnot.
Mica
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soooooooo this will be a review on the series as a whole. While I found the third volume not-as-good-as-the-prequels it was still amazing, disgusting and horrifying. Which it is to be expected from Junji Ito of course.
I found out about Ito’s genius from an YouTube video that I will link here:

I was intrigued, nevertheless, since I consider horror to be one of the hardest and best genre to experience full on. If there is anything that life actually taught me, is that I
David
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Gawd.

HOW is this NOT an american movie yet??? (I see there IS a Japanese interpretation, but haven't been able to locate a copy- but like "The Ring" (Ringu) and "The Grudge" before it... this has AMAZING pottential for an American Horror Movie...

REAL Horror, not that blood-n-guts stuff they pass off as 'horror' nowdays...

This is the story of a village. A village infected with SPIRALS.

Oh sure. Go ahead. Chuckle.

Go, "yeah... AND?"

But really.

Think about it.

...what happens when something as
Caro the Helmet Lady
Ok this one was equally icky and creepy, and I think sometimes that Japanese writers get to the most twisted ideas in the world of horror. So when finishing some creepy story you can be sure that somewhere behind the scene there's this Japanese guy giggling like mad.
Greg Heath
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
[Note: This review is intended to cover all 3 volumes of the book, but I'll eventually get around to doing separate write-ups for the individual volumes.]

Junji Ito's "Uzumaki" is a brutally terrifying read that somehow manages to walk that fine line between the kind of creeping, disquieting horror associated with J-Horror films and the go-for-the-throat shock value that the grotesque American monster movies typically possess. The reason I'm making movie comparisons here is not only because, of
Yash Sinojia
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror, manga
This connects much plot points from the previous one. I found it especially amazing the way this deals with the situation of a cursed eutrophication of humanity and how the accursed ones were enjoying all those absurdities. This articulation has got no light at the end of the tunnel.
Cheryl
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is the first manga I've ever read. It's volume 3 of 3, and I didn't read the first two volumes but I still could figure out the plot just fine. This is horror, of the Lovecraftian kind. Very weird and very creepy.
DeAnna Knippling
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
...And weirder.

I didn't think it was going to be possible to wrap this up in a satisfying manner. But this worked for me.
Alex
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, horror
It's actually been nearly 18 months since I read volume two. I think that subconsciously I must have been avoiding reading the third and perhaps my subconscious - on this particular occasion - was being very sensible. These volumes contain some of the most twisted and disgusting examples of horror I think I can recall and reading them, at whatever time of day, has made my skin crawl and I've started to feel a little nauseous (OK, slight exaggeration but you do get the idea. Seriously - ...more
Louisa
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
It’s amazing that it took a giant whirlpool popping up in the middle of the town for the characters to realise that they needed to get the fuck out of there.
Jim Smith
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Highly satisfying conclusion to the saga. I was less keen on all the whirlwind stuff in this volume and the end of the second, which is why I rate them slightly lower than the genius perfection of the first volume, but it all came together at the end, and I found the final few chapters gripping.
Emm - On a Hiatus of Uncertain Nature
4 Stars
The Uzumaki series as a whole, can best be described as "horrific cosmic apocalypse systematically destroys everything... but only in one tiny little suburban town." It's an incredibly fun series if you can handle it.

I had really been anticipating the Finale for a long time. This is not to say it was disappointing, but it sinks way more into post-apocalyptic survival territory than I would've liked. The two previous volumes are more creeping, surreal horror, particularly that whole
robbie claravall
Uzumaki, Volume 3 by Junji Ito Review
Rating: 2/5

Uzumaki, Volume 3 is a passable conclusion to this disturbing manga series. After all the shit that went down in the second volume, I was expecting a lot more from this. You could say that I was disappointed, actually. The things that I have enjoyed and the things that I was disappointed with in the 1st and 2nd volume actually switched by the 3rd one. The story actually moved. After two volumes of disjointed and messy violent, graphic panels, the
Ed
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gustav Murnau gave his legendary film "Nosferatu" the elegant subtitle "eine Symphonie des Grauens" - a Symphony of Horror - referencing his own tight control over the filming process, and the excellent blending in that film of the great traditions of the classic scary story.

Junji Ito's "Uzumaki" cannot be called a Symphony, but a Rondo - a repetition of variations on a theme. Here, in the closing as everywhere else, Ito utilises the techniques of great horror as stipulated by Todorov's essay
Alex
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Reading this actually made me dizzy and a little nauseous. Almost like the spiral curse was breaking the fourth wall and actually effecting me in real life. 0_0

The concepts of how the spiral curse effected the town, the people, and reality itself were by far the best and scariest part of this series. They were just so inventive and crazy and kept gaining momentum as the curse reached its peak. I kept thinking how much worse can it get for these poor people? and it never stoped.

That being said
Michaelle
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am frustrated. I am disturbed. I am so happy.

It amazes me that it took these damn people so long to realize that they needed to jump ship. I would have been out of town during volume 1. I really love this series. I feel that volume 3 might have been the weakest of the three, though. The art was just as amazing as volume 1 and 2. BUT THAT ENDING. It wasn't terrible, I thought it was almost sweet. BUT WHAT THE HELL?! I had been anticipating the end since chapter one and I feel it was pretty...
Jason
See reviews for vols. 1 and 2 and also: I can't imagine this ending any differently or any better. Being relatively new to Japanese horror, I find the differences between Japanese and American horror fascinating. American horror is about one man or one man and his friends battling alone against the forces of evil and Japanese horror seems to be more about coping in the face of powers that are overwhelmingly greater than any of the individuals involved. Evil is never vanquished; it is escaped or ...more
Rajiv
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Uzumaki" has a strong beginning, a middle, and an end. That may not sound like much, but it's Ito's work after all, which is saying a lot.

Ito takes everyday objects and turns them into pure horror. Spirals, a rather simple pattern that appears in both nature and man-made objects, is converted into a source of terror, both physically and emotionally.

The first two stories are the absolute best, capturing and conveying the horror of obsession. While the first focuses on body horror, the second
Andrea Blythe
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
Review for the full series.

Uzumaki is considered to be Ito’s classic and most famous work, having been adapted into two video games and a feature film. A town in Japan begins to be slowly and inextricably taken over by the shape of a spiral — a simple geometric shape that twists the town and the people in it into distortions of themselves. Some of this is physical, some is mental or spiritual.

The central characters are Kirie and her boyfriend Shuichi and we see the events unfold more and more
Chris
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This last volume really ramps it up again. And this time around the stories are cohesive instead of being combined islands of stories. The row houses were an interesting touch, but wow that mangled mass of coiled bodies was seriously creepy. Not a happy ending, which is nice in a way. Most stories don't end on a good note, so I don't know why written stories usually do. The final "lost chapter" about galaxies was ok, and would have fit in with the first book decently, but otherwise could have ...more
Alok
It has its moments and for a few pages I thought, mind-bending! But in the end, it doesn't really matter. Heh. Because the ending was meh. It was somewhat hinted. But the why and how wasn't explored.

From a concept point of view, it makes sense. The spiral's beginning and end are hard to call out. It's continuous.

Horror and romance remain disappointing in all media. Horror invokes no fear and romance no tenderness. Sucks, to be honest.

But I gotta admit among all the worst horror things I've read
Maja Ingrid
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, manga
This is a review for the whole series and not just this volume

So last year a friend found the not so good, trashy movie adaption. We watched, ate pizza and laughed. Fast forward a couple of days ago where I watched a youtube video and the youtuber mentioned this manga at the end of it. They said it was bizarre and great and must-read. Have a vague memory of my friend saying her friend had read it when they were young and got scarred for life.

Let's just say I had to read this.

And let me tell
Dimitris
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Weeeeellllll.... it was ok?! It was good? Meh? Dunno really.

It was ok. It was really interesting towards the end on what's about to happen but, well, I didn't like the end. Neither for the characters, which I never cared about to be honest, or the story, which I wanted to see what happens or what the spiral was and everything.

Nothing was satisfying enough, except for the artwork.

Other than that it was ok!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 3 (Drifting Classroom)
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 11
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 4 (Drifting Classroom)
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 5 (Drifting Classroom)
  • Ibitsu Vol. 1
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 1
  • 不安の種 1 (Fuan no Tane, #1)
  • Super-Dimensional Love Gun
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 2 (Drifting Classroom)
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 8 (The Drifting Classroom)
  • Hideout
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 6 (The Drifting Classroom)
  • 後遺症ラジオ 1 [Kouishou Radio 1] (PTSD Radio, #1)
  • 不安の種 2 (Fuan no Tane, #2)
  • 不安の種 3 (Fuan no Tane, #3)
  • Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 7: Richard (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #7)
  • Ibitsu
Junji Itō (伊藤潤二) Born in Gifu Prefecture in 1963, he was inspired from a young age by his older sister's drawing and Kazuo Umezu's comics and thus took an interest in drawing horror comics himself. Nevertheless, upon graduation he trained as a dental technician, and until the early 1990s he juggled his dental career with his increasingly successful hobby — even after being selected as the winner ...more

Uzumaki (3 books)
  • Uzumaki: Spiral into Horror, Vol. 1
  • Uzumaki: Spiral into Horror, Vol. 2.