Start by marking “The Key to Extraordinary” as Want to Read:
The Key to Extraordinary

The Key to Extraordinary

Everyone in Emma's family is special. Her ancestors include Revolutionary War spies, brilliant scientists, and famous musicians--every single one of which learned of their extraordinary destiny through a dream.

For Emma, her own dream can't come soon enough. Right before her mother died, Emma promised that she'd do whatever it took to fulfill her destiny, and she doesn't wa
Published February 23rd 2016 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Key to Extraordinary, please sign up.
Maeghan D They must have gotten advance copies of the book and were able to read those ahead of the publication date. Publishers will send advance copies to…moreThey must have gotten advance copies of the book and were able to read those ahead of the publication date. Publishers will send advance copies to book stores, libraries, and to individual book reviewers (professional and non-professional) for marketing purposes.(less)

Jeff Zentner
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought it would be difficult for Natalie Lloyd to top A SNICKER OF MAGIC, but with THE KEY TO EXTRAORDINARY, she does so with such ease that I'm starting to wonder if she's as possessed of such magic as the characters she writes about.

Everything I loved about SNICKER was present in even greater and sharper abundance. Vividly drawn, lovable characters. A vibrant, magical setting. Gorgeous, lyrical prose. A story that kept me turning pages until there were no more to turn.

And I would not hesi
Pamela
I Absolutely LOVED it!!! ***** Feisty FaNtAbUlOuS Fun!!!

"Every lifetime, no matter how long it lasts, is a gift. And to love and be loved, even by one person during your lifetime . . . that is a treasure no one can take from you."

I'm a bit behind on my reviews so I'm not going to wax long. However, let me just throw a few things out here. If you - or your middle grade child - enjoy morally sound tween reads that have quirky characters (a motorcycle riding granny with flower tattoos - just to na
m a r y l i z
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I could, I would give this book a thousand stars.

It's the kind of story that tucks itself into your heart. The kind that you never, ever forget.

Every day you live is a day for dreaming. Every day is a day for adventuring. And every day is for sharing with people you love, because love's all that lasts. It's the only thing we carry out of this world. It connects us all, in the end.
Sarah Levy
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Set in a small, spooky southern town, this magical story is hard to put down! I instantly fell for Emma & Grandma Blue. I yearn to visit the Boneyard Cafe, go on Emma's tour, and then enjoy a Boneyard Brew and lavender-peach muffin!! This novel sucked me in from the beginning & I loved every second of it!
Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
I did not expect to love this as much as I did when I started. The themes are so simple yet beautiful, everything comes together perfectly, it leaves me with an odd little ache. If you're looking for a lovely, short middle grade book than please check this one out! Without a doubt I will be checking out more of Natalie Lloyd's work!
Emily
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully sweet story set in a slightly magical little town. I loved the overall message and theme about (view spoiler)
A sweet, whimsical feeling permeated the story, and enveloped as I read. It was a little weird and wrinkly in the beginning, but came together around the second third of the book. I also really liked that it was one of the few newer contemporary books for middle graders that I
Sahngwon Lee
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book about a girl(Emma) who is extraordinary and special.
Kara
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh friends, y'all know how I gushed over Ms. Lloyd's first book, A Snicker of Magic, so you can imagine my excitement over anticipating this one! It did not disappoint. At all! :) I absolutely loved meeting Emma and Granny Blue and everyone in Blackbird Hollow. There is simply a poignancy and sweetness that infuses this story. Watching as Emma works through her emotions and searches to find her joy again spoke to my heart so truly, because that's what I've been doing this year since losing my ow ...more
Emma
May 11, 2016 marked it as abandoned
Sheesh! Is there a middle grade novel out there that ISN'T a grief book? I rolled my eyes as soon as I found out that the main character's mother was dead and after that I just couldn't get into it. It didn't help that I was also annoyed by everything having an official name name: Destiny Dream, Wildflowers, Club Pancake.... It was hard to keep straight. I read 50 pages and then put this down because the much more exciting and more anticipated The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh came in at t ...more
Kristen
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
For most of the book, this was a solid 3-star story--and then I got to the end and the secret of the conductor was revealed. So. Awesome. And completely unexpected. So, I ended up liking this one just as much as A Snicker of Magic, even though it doesn't have quite the same level of magic. Maybe it's because I like the history woven in and the thought of flowers that allow lost loved ones to leave messages behind. If only.
Mary
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a homespun history mystery middle grade novel with a big dollop of magical realism. Similar to Lloyd’s previous novel, A Snicker of Magic, this story is filled with quirky characters and melancholy sweetness. Although young history buffs will easily make the Conductor – Civil War connection, the treasure hunt through the graveyard is compelling. Overall, an evocative narrative with gentle ghosts, tender friendships, and a great message that love will always win the day.
Samantha Fraenkel
Natalie Lloyd writes the best books for kids. Her debut novel, A Snicker of Magic, knocked my socks off with its beautiful writing, quirky characters, and heart. The Key to Extraordinary is just as wonderful, if not better. Best 9-12 novel I've read this year.
Bethe
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. Bookaday #2. So many things to love in this book: well developed main and secondary characters, fun, lush vocab, sprinkling of magic, 2 dogs, muffins, best friends, treasure, chapter 15 with Granny Blue. Wisdom on love and grief and the potential to be extraordinary.
Jeff Raymond
Jan 08, 2016 marked it as unfinished-reads
This is getting a lot of really solid press, probably from the same who are really into more quiet, fantastical tales. I gave this roughly 70 pages and it was not connecting for me even a little bit, and so aside it goes. I'm looking for a little more oomph from the middle grade set these days.
Angie  Moore
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-previews
Pure magic... I could read a 1000 page book by Natalie Lloyd ❤ ...more
Michele Knott
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Will write a longer review closer to publication date (Feb. 2016), but I will say Natalie Lloyd is back. So wonderful to read her words again.
Cathy
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. I loved every single character and every single thing about the book. I loved the stories of all the "Wildflowers" and I loved the lesson learned. What a great, feel-good book for young people. Maybe older people too! Love, love, love!!
Brenda
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma, Granny Blue and her older brother Topper live in the Boneyard Cafe, "perched on the edge of a famous cemetery" within the town of Blackwood Hollow. Emma provides tours at the cemetery and knows all the local stories and legends. While she is on one of her famous tours, her Uncle Peri and Aunt Gerta tell her about the tale of The Conductor, who hid his treasure somewhere within Blackwood Hollow, but will only reveal it to someone who has "good intentions and is pure of heart." The Boneyard ...more
Waffle
The climax SEVERELY failed to deliver like I knew the treasure was the friends we made along the way but sheesh

Stories about the power of love work when they’re drawn from genuine human experience and connection. This story relies too heavily on gestures and nice sounding words and moments that just ring false. How am I supposed to believe that nobody WENT INTO THE TUNNEL THAT WAS RIGHT THERE THE WHOLE TIME??!?

Anyway, guess my tolerance for cotton candy ice cream was less this time and I hit my
Amy B
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Natalie Lloyd's writing is just so refreshing. And delightful. And delicious. And makes you use words you normally wouldn't use. ;)

I was thrilled to immerse myself once again in the unique world she's created, filled to the brim with magical realism, broken but mending families, character-full small towns, friendships, and quests. I love the family dynamics Lloyd creates, and was fully enthralled with the fields of blue flowers, the Talking Vines, the sparkling stardust, and Keeping Susans. The
Beth
This is the story of Emma Pearl Casey, a young girl with a magical and renown family history. Just as with those that came before her, Emma's destiny comes to her in a dream. But when that dream indicates that she must carry out an impossible task, find the treasure that's been hidden in Blackbird Hollow's cemetery for centuries, she doesn't know how she will ever succeed. If she doesn't though, her family's business and the entire town might find itself on the other end of a wrecking ball. If ...more
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Much like A Snicker of Magic, The Key to Extraordinary features a protagonist who is kind, caring, and trying to find her way in the world. She comes from a long line of extraordinary women. Emma isn't sure what her legacy will be. While she tries to figure it out, Emma is surrounded by loving family members and friends. She is also surrounded by loss, including the loss of her father and, more recently, her mother. Growing up in an old church turned cafe, surrounded by a graveyard, death isn't ...more
Tara Warmerdam
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Such a fun read. I could easily visualize Grandma Blue, Emma, and of course the Boneyard Brew and peach lavender muffins. Emma is determined to fulfill her Destiny, as the other women in her family have done. When she dreams of a key, the mystery ensues as she plans to save her family home and the town (she dreams big!). I love how history is at work in this small town and Emma's story. Definitely magical!
Lynn Christiansen
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. In fact, I actually underlined quotes which I hardly ever do AND I think I want to go back and re-read just so I can slowly savor the story (I might have rushed a bit because I was enjoying it so much). I think I would read a grocery list written by Natalie Lloyd at this point.

I was provided with an e-galley by the publisher and edelweiss. Thank you! I will definitely be purchasing this for my library.
Ms Threlkeld
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Natalie Lloyd is the only author I know of that churns out magic surrealism for the middle grade set. Very similar in tone to Snicker of Magic and with a little mystery thrown in, this was a very satisfying read.
Laura5
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, audiobook
Fabulous audio book narration
Ann
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful.
Kay
There are so many things to love about The Key to Extraordinary.

Here are just some of them:
*The whimsy and magic of Blackbird Hollow.
*How Natalie Lloyd writes about love and loss so perfectly. And, the Big Empty as a concept.
*Emma is just the kindest, friendliest, most genuine, brave heroine. And how she follows her destiny in the footsteps of her family's kick-ass feminist legacy.
*What the treasure of Blackbird Hollow was in the end.
*How Emma treats the Blackbird Hollow cemetery with respect an
Truebluedah ♪
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites2018
"Fear is just a flashlight that helps you find your courage!" This and many more quotes from this book is one of the many reasons why I absolutely LOVE key to extraordinary. This story about Emma Kacey and her friends Cody Bell and Earl Chance is mysterious, adventurous and sweet. As Emma and her friend Cody Bell and their old friend Earl Chance (who has lost his voice) embark on an adventure to find treasure to save Emma's cafe, Natalie Lloyd has the readers on the edge of their seats. This boo ...more
Nathan T
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Near the beginning, I thought the book was a little confusing. However, I really enjoyed the rest of the book. I think the idea of the book is genius.

Emma's ancestors are special, and through a unique dream they find their destiny.

I would definitely recommend this book to those who have enjoyed other books written by Natalie Lloyd.
Choose Your Own A...: January 2017 Book Club 4 7 Dec 20, 2016 09:02AM
Mock Newbery 2019: April Read - The Key to Extraordinary 42 304 Aug 14, 2016 07:09AM
  • The Way to Stay in Destiny
  • Seven Stories Up
  • Ms. Bixby's Last Day
  • The Madman of Piney Woods
  • The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing (Mo & Dale Mysteries, #2)
  • The Family Fletcher Takes Rock Island (Family Fletcher, #2)
  • Unidentified Suburban Object
  • Spirit Week Showdown (The Magnificent Mya Tibbs, #1)
  • Maybe a Fox
  • Nightingale's Nest
  • Some Kind of Courage
  • Smart Cookie
  • Soar
  • Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer (Unusual Chickens #1)
  • The Best Man
  • Full of Beans
  • Last in a Long Line of Rebels
  • The Secret Life of Lincoln Jones
“Some books are so special that you never forget where you were the first time you read them.” 11 likes
“It occurred to me that there are at least three indisputable facts about best friends: 1. They wait for you, and 2. They slow down enough to walk beside you, and 3. They always know when you need hot chocolate.” 9 likes