Start by marking “Touching Fate (The Fated, #1)” as Want to Read:
Touching Fate (The Fated, #1)

Touching Fate

(The Fated #1)

Aster Layne believes in physics, not psychics. A tarot card reading on the Ocean City Boardwalk should have been a ridiculous, just-for-fun thing. It wasn’t. Aster discovers she has a very unscientific gift—with a simple touch of the cards, she can change a person’s fate.

Reese Van Buren is cursed. Like the kind of old-school, centuries-old curse that runs in royal families
Published October 12th 2015 by Entangled Teen Crave (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Touching Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touching Fate

Carrie
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When out with her friends Aster Layne visits a tarot card reader thinking it's all just fun and games, that is until something happens during the reading. When Aster touches one of the tarot cards it seems to change her friend's bad reading but as with all magic Aster will soon learn that magic comes with a price and that price is usually very bad.

Reese Van Buren's family has been cursed for centuries and now Reese is doing everything he can to escape his fate. The first born male in each gener
Brenda Drake
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote-this
Hello everyone, I'm the author, so naturally I'm biased. But I love this story and had such a fun time writing it. It's filled with romance, betrayal, curses, fates, friendships, family bonds, and a touch of magic. What would you do if you could change someone's fate with a touch of a tarot card, but with a price?
Diana
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book gripped me and I couldn't put it down. Aster is one of many siblings and all of them have forbidden to come near Tarot cards. But Aster does and by accident changes the fate of one of her friends and gets a mark in return. Soon she discovers she is a Fate Changer, with the ability to change the future of people around her using Tarot cards. But all magic comes with a price...
Meet Reese. A guy who is cursed, as all his line is. He will die when he turns 18. Only person who can change hi
Andrea Heltsley
I really wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. The description grabbed me right away. It was so unlike anything I previously. The book sounded so good, I started reading it immediately.
WOW!! I'm soooo glad I picked up this story. It was better than I even hoped! This book rocked!
The author pieced together a wonderfully original and compelling young adult book.
A story centered on gypsies and tarot card magic was refreshing. It was a unique take on fate and curses. I couldn't put it
Roxanne
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Entangled Teen and NetGalley for a copy of the eArc in exchange for a fair review!

I receive these lovely emails from Entangled and from there I can request to review books from them. They had Cursing Fate on the list, and I wanted too, but I hadn't read the first book, but then I saw that they were offering copies of Touching Fate so that you could read and review both books for Entangled. So I jumped on that chance as Touching Fate has been on TBR since January of this year. If th
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
I was pleasantly surprised with how much fun this book was. I thought the plot of the story was so interesting. I have never read a book like this before, and I thought Brenda did a great job of creating a fun and magical storyline. The main male character, Reese, was so swoon worthy. I adored him and his adorable accent. He was my favorite character in this book. I also really liked the other main character, Aster. She was snarky, loyal, and brave. She tried her best to understand her powers an ...more
Rachel Harris
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Touching Fate swept me away in a world of magic, adventure, and sexy romance, where not everything is as it seems, and fate, while written in the stars, isn't always fixed. A spellbinding tale of love and choices...and did I mention the hot European accents??
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
This was another fantastic novel series by Brenda Drake. She is an amazing author whom even though she has plenty on her plate and a busy woman she still creates amazing novels that captivates her readers!❤ This one touches on the paranormal/metaphysical side and was so fun! This book had lots of sweet romance and great characters with a great plot to go with it.🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 Like the Library Jumpers Series, I give this start of this series a hands down, 5 out of 5 stars!!!❤
Jenn
Because it seemed he held the algorithmic key to solving the encrypted code locking her heart.

There are two different kinds of people: those who believe in fate and those who don't. Aster Layne falls into the later category. She knows her role in life, she has her routine with her friends and family, and most importantly, she doesn't believe in magic.

Reese Van Bruen not only believes in magic, but is also cursed by it. And not just a tiny curse, one that will kill him on his 18th birthday. Rei
Nicole Lynn Hoefs
I really liked this book. Aster and Reese were good characters, and I even enjoyed some of the secondary characters like Leah and Jan. I ended up giving it 4 out of 5 stars. Thank you Netgalley for giving me a copy in exchange for a honest review.

I think Brenda did a great job with the characters. Dual POV can be hard to pull off, but she did it. I think Reese was pretty true to how a guy would think/act. My one problem with the book was that it felt a bit rushed, especially the romance part. I
winterthekatt
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The moment I saw this book, I was intrigued. Putting together a girl who can change fates and a guy who is cursed sounded like a perfect recipe to me, and it certainly met my expectations. I liked that the book had a very realistic feel to it, I almost kept forgetting the fact that there was magic involved because it was so believable.

In the beginning I felt that the relationship between Aster and Reese was a little forced. I'm not sure why I felt this way and I can't really put my finger on it
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Ah, I'm so disappointed with this book. I felt so sure I would love it. The whole idea of the book seemed so promising, but it just fell really short for me.

The characters lacked depth and I found the romance to be a bit unbelievable - you know something is wrong when, in a book about tarot cards and curses, you find the ROMANCE to be the unbelievable thing! I thought there was a serious case of insta-love here. I mean, their first kiss was 23% into the book! Then practically the next day they
Michelle Hauck
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I'm not much of a reader of young adult, but I found the theme of Touching Fate to be so unique. I don't think I've ever seen an idea like a fate changer, using Tarot cards. That alone had me wanting to read.

The ending couldn't happen fast enough. And by that I mean that I was dying to see what happened. I was so tempted to cheat and jump to the end.

For me there was just enough romance without being all clingy and in your face. The characters remained themselves and weren't the type to get comp
Pintip Dunn
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brenda Drake never fails to amaze me with her originality and creativity, and this book is no exception. Touching Fate presents us with an intriguing world of tarot cards and fate changers. I love the characters so much and especially love the difficult moral choices with which they are faced. Reese is adorable, and I love his relationship with Aster. I can totally see why she falls for him! It is a fun and fast-paced read. Highly recommended for anyone who likes stories with fascinating worlds ...more
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
Brenda Drake definitely knows how to build tension and suspense. The more I read, the more intense it got, in part because of the 18th birthday deadline, but not only.

It brought to mind all of my own tarot card experiments as a teen, including the fact that one of my friends almost always got the death card. (But no, she didn't die on the moment she was born on her 18th birthday.)
Jillian Quinn
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rave-review
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for not only a very quick review, but also for my honest opinion. I'm thrilled to say that I absolutely loved this book. When I first read the synopsis, I was afraid this book would be like The Raven Boys, a book I still haven't finished to this day because it was such a disappointment. But I'm happy to say that Touching Fate is everything I had hoped The Raven Boys would be and more. I adored every second of this book and read it wit ...more
Suze Lavender
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Aster has been told to stay away from Tarot cards, but she has no idea why. She doesn't believe in psychic powers, which is the reason she tries a reading anyway. When she touches the cards something that's supposed to be funny changes into something life altering instead. Aster is a fate changer and Tarot cards are an essential part of her rare gift.

Reese will die at his eighteenth birthday unless he can find a fate changer to help him. Reese comes from an old Dutch nobility line that has been
Molly Lee
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
TOUCHING FATE by Brenda Drake is a fast-paced, intense young adult novel with a unique concept.

Aster can change people’s fate. Reese has a centuries old curse. When they come together? The dynamic is explosive!

I loved this book and the characters within it. Aster is a no-holds-bar seventeen year old girl who has a strong voice and a slew of endearing qualities. Her journey is an intense one and I loved following her through it. Her love of her crazy family is what drew me to her first (because s
K.T. Hanna
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brenda creates a world with likable characters that you grow to feel for and love. The twist of fate? The touching of the cards? Absolutely well done. I liked that most of this spanned a large chunk of the school year, and that Aster and Reese actually clicked for me.

While they were immediately aware of/attracted to each other, the passage of time is quite obvious in that it takes them a while to actually fall into synch. It took me back to those moments in high school when you have a new crush,
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Oct 20, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

DNF at 12%

I feel like if I had listened to my gut about this one and DNF-ed it when I originally started, I wouldn't have read Thief of Lies and saved myself a bit of time. Therefore, I had started this one, but will not be continuing. I could not connect to the main character and I thought she made some pretty dumb decisions that the plot hinged on. I am also not loving where the romance section will be going. I th
Poulami
Originally posted on Daydreaming Books.

* I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Thiiiiis.... was an okay read though I expected more, much more from it. Some things were fun and some meh but it was still a somewhat fun ride.

Aster Layne is a fate changer but she is unaware of her powers. Reese's eighteenth birthday is coming up fast and like all the other firstborn in his family, he is probably going to die on that day due to an ill-fate
Suz Jay
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“All Aster’s relationships (three to be exact) started off like fusion and ended up like fission—she and a guy would collide, releasing so much energy that they’d become unstable, making their relationship susceptible to outside influences (like other girls), and they’d split up. She desperately wanted to overcome her attraction to rebellious guys. She even made a pact with her mom—the next guy, she’d date against her type.”

Aster touches a tarot card and ignites her inherited power to change fat
Megan (Under the Book Cover)
Review also posted at: http://underthebookcover.blogspot.com...

3/5

Thank you to Entangled Teen for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for review!

This was such a quick and fun read that I absolutely devoured in no time at all! I loved the synopsis and thought that the idea of a girl that loves science having a "very unscientific gift" tied together with a guy who is cursed to die on his eighteenth birthday would make for an interesting read, and it definitely did.

Aster never imagine
Lucy Briand
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although I wasn't hooked by the first chapter, I'm SOOO glad I stuck with it. It didn't take long after that to get sucked into the story and its magical concept. I love tarot cards so this was right up my ally and found it very unique in my opinion. Started reading this around 9am and have now (4:30pm) just finished it. It's an easy read and a wonderful way to spend my day off :) thx for the journey!
S.E. Doster
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching Fate is a quick but fun read. I usually don't read romance, but this book was hard to put down. Can't wait to read the next book from Brenda Drake's Fated series.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Moderately dark story about a girl who can change people’s fate with the touch of a Tarot card. There were a few minor issues with the plot but overall I enjoyed the uniqueness of the story.

Opening Sentence: It looked like the house had swallowed an entire art store and thrown up the supplies all over the lower level.

The Review:

When I read the synopsis for Touching Fate I was intrigued by a story about a girl who could change someone’s fate
books are love
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
At first I wanted to smack Reese upside the head. I mean yes he was desperate but still he was playing with someone’s emotions and that is nothing to sneeze at. Over time though as I saw him grow and see Aster as more than just a way to stay alive but a girl that is strong, funny, smart and sexy I warmed up to him. And his sacrifice in the end made him swoony.

His cousin Jan I loved. He was a sweet guy. I was so glad he stood by Reese and was there for him no matter what. He totally deserved the
Olivia
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Touching Fate" is a YA fantasy romance about Reese and Aster. Reese has been on a quest to find a Fate Changer, a rare person who can alter another person's fate through their connection to tarot cards. Reese happens to be in town when he locks eyes with Aster, and they feel an immediate connection (there is some insta-love here). Aster is coming from a bad break-up though and resists. Reese knows he must find and get her to fall in love with him so that she can break the curse which has haunte ...more
Shannon (aka The Tale Temptress)
I really loved the story premise and concept to Touching Fate. I loved the idea of a gypsy-based, magical story where a guy's family is cursed for all the first-born male children to die at the age of 18 unless they find a fate changer. It started off great.

I loved Reese as a character. He was sweet and lovable, as was his friend Jan. Both of these characters were so endearing that I loved them immediately. I felt sad for Reese's situation,and thought the story had some wonderful conflict on his
Samantha
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**Thank you to Netgalley and Entangled for the eARC in return for an honest review **

Omigosh! This book! I was so flipping excited to read it when I saw the synopsis, and I wasn't disappointed!

It's hard to share too much of this story without spoilers, but it comes down to Aster (and her discovery she can reverse a person's fate with the touch of a Tarot card) and Reese (and the fact that he is supposed to die in a few weeks on his eighteenth birthday, thanks to a family curse). When Reese learn
« previous 1 3 next »

• Love Me, Love Me Not
  • Some Act of Vision
  • Rapunzel Let Down: A Fairy Tale Retold (A Fairy Tale Retold, #6)
  • One Enchanted Noël (Enchanted Christmas Collection #3)
  • Fairest of Them All
  • Grudging: Birth of Saints Book One
  • Asleep From Day
  • Dragons Are People, Too
  • Surge (The Taking, #0.5)
  • Initializing (Somnia Online #1)
  • The Rearranged Life
  • Chasing Crazy
  • The Three Rules of Everyday Magic
  • Wicked Charm
  • Enigma (Schrodinger's Consortium, #2)
  • Why I Loathe Sterling Lane
  • Beyond the Ever Reach (Mortality, #1)
  • Some Kind of Magic
Brenda Drake, the youngest of three children, grew up an Air Force brat and the continual new kid at school. Her fondest memories growing up is of her eccentric, Irish grandmother’s animated tales, which gave her a strong love for storytelling. So it was only fitting that she would choose to write stories with a bend toward the fantastical. When Brenda’s not writing or doing the social media thing ...more

The Fated (3 books)
  • Cursing Fate (The Fated, #2)
  • Seeking Fate (The Fated, #3)