Start by marking “Bestien (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bestien (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)

Bestien

(Star Trek: Typhon Pact #3)

Auf Romulus verfolgt Spock immer noch sein Ziel, Vulkanier und Romulaner wiederzuvereinigen, und findet sich inmitten eines enormen Machtkampfes wieder. Die Romulaner sind in zwei Lager gespalten.Während Imperatorin Donatra ihren im Entstehen begriffenen Imperialen Romulanischen Staat zur Aufnahme politischer Beziehungen mit der Föderation veranlasst hat, wurde das ursprün ...more
Mass Market Paperback, deutsche Erstausgabe, 330 pages
Published August 16th 2013 by CrossCult, Ludwigsburg (first published January 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bestien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bestien

Start your review of Bestien (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
Kristen
Jun 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek, 2012
I feel conflicted giving this just one star. It's Star Trek, therefore I love it. But honestly. WTF was this? I mean, other than boring. Sisko left his wife and kid? Not in character. Spock, one of the most interesting characters in all of Trekdom, got turned boring. How does one even DO that? I just can't buy it.

You know, I really, REALLY like that they are continuing the story lines of all the Trek series past the end of their respective series or movies. But I DO NOT LIKE how all of the nove
Jerry
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hope the series gets better after this one...
Nicole
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third Typhon Pact book focusing on Spock on Romulus, the Romulan people, Benjamin Sisko and the Tzenkethi.

I enjoyed the Spock part of the story and loved reading about the Romulans - they're always interesting. Scheming, devious, always several steps ahead and never disclosing all they know. Would have liked more Donatra time, though. Bringing the Vulcans and Romulans closer feels logical and sensible (in general, not just in this book) as they're basically 'cousins' who chose different paths i
Mritty
May 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is just a terribly disappointing book. It is two completely different stories, one involving Spock and the reunification movement in the two Romulan Empires, one involving Sisko and his inner turmoil. The Sisko storyline is an abomination. There is no actual "story" to it. It is just page after page of Sisko being emo and mopey. Indeed, it seems like the author wanted to create a story about a character's depression, but in finding that there were no suitable characters in the Star Trek ens ...more
John Christensen
This book was a mess. A reasonably good political tale about the Romulans that included Spock, combined with a terrible story involving some sort of mutant emo version of Sisko that literally went nowhere except to let us know that the author had no real idea of what to do with Sisko. Very disappointing, when compared to the generally high level of quality both during and after Star Trek: Destiny.
C.T. Phipps
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Rough Beasts of Empire is yet another novel in the continuing epic political drama of the Typhon Pact.

As the cover indicates, the book is primarily about Captain Benjamin Sisko and Spock. The book is, obviously, set before the events of Star Trek (2009) when the latter departed the original Star Trek universe forever.

Benjamin Sisko's return isn't in this book but, I confess, a certain ambivalence to it in general. When he left to join the Prophets, I thought he was never going to return. That
Daniel
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Normally, I give most Star Trek novels at least three stars, books about DS9 usually get more, but this book was more upsetting than enjoyable. The Spock portion about the Romulan Empire was quite fascinating, political wheels within wheels all leading to a finale no one could have predicted. The way the leaders of both Romulan states meet their fates shows how tenuous the Typhon Pact can quickly become if members became aware of how other members manipulate their governments to achieve results ...more
Micah
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to read about Capt. Sisko's character development. I don't recall reading any books that took place between the time DS9 ended and this book that suggested the Ben Sisko I grew up with would have this kind of turn. The usual strong, decision maker that lead the Federation through the Dominion conflict is developed into an overthinking, detached emotionalist that seems unable to truly grasp the reason & results of his actions. Don't get me wrong, there is probably a reason to the ...more
Cliff Ball
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how the post TNG Star Trek has these novels all link together. What happens in the Typhon Pact novels shows up in some other novel that isn't exactly in the same storyline, but, it is in the same universe. I also like how Star Trek now is more a political thriller that also happens to be a science fiction series.
Krista D.
May 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Struggled to get through this one. I didn't care about the entire Spock end of things and, by mid-book, starting skipping entire chapters.

I think the characterization of Sisko was laughably off. I'm fine with people changing their opinions and wants/needs, but there are some fundamental things that don't change. Sisko fundamentally changed.
Jaime
Jul 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A book with two of the most important and established characters in the Star Trek universe, you'd think this book be better. Nope. Total disappointment. Just a waste of these characters time. Hopefully, the rest of the novels left in this series are better.
Crystal Bensley
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Romulan focused story- nice to see Spock and Reunification still making waves.
John Cipolla
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting story about the reunification of Vulcan and Romulus. There was plenty of Spock and Sisko in there.
Bryan Williams
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Unfortunately, after the highs of the second book in the Typhon Pact series, "Seize the Fire" focusing on the crew of the Titan and the Gorn, "Rough Beasts of Empire," hits a nadir. This book focuses on the divided Romulan Empire, and also marginally on the lesser known and mysterious Tzenkethi. This book is split into three story arcs - or maybe 2.5. One story arc focuses on Spock and his reunification movement, and on the political intrigue between the Romulan Star Empire lead by Praetor Tal'A ...more
John
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Minor spoilers ahead.
The third installment in the Typhon Pact arc centers on three main things. First, the ongoing Vulcan-Romulan Reunification movement that Spock has been pushing for years on Romulus. Second, the personal life of Benjamin Sisko after the final events of DS9. Third, the Romulan political scene, in which Empress Donatra's breakoff faction Imperial Romulan State is still at odds with the Romulan Star Empire and Praetor Tal'Aura.
I liked the setup. But the bottom line is, the stor
Jess
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of problems. It's really three loosely connected stories.

The first one is Spock on the Post-Nemesis Romulus. This one is interesting but really only to those who have read the TNG and Titan books post Nemesis. Otherwise I can see how this book would be boring. The four problems with this is that: 1. it is slow moving 2. it's oddly broken up and 3. it is kind of predictable. 4. The story is kinda sorta unfinished.

The second book is Sisko dealing with the Prophets leaving him
Erik
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly bland book. When the entire Sisko storyline (a full 1/3 of the novel) can easily be removed and not have any impact on the story, that's not a good thing. While I was hoping to learn more about then Tzenkethi, I was definitely disappointed in that, too. I learned very little about them, and the forced flashbacks with them including Sisko were pointless. Overall, this would have made for a pretty good novella, but it was padded to 3 times the length to sell it as a book. Best to skip it ...more
Scott Williams
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drake Tungsten
The storyline with Benjamin Sisko was not handled well in this book. For one, there is a huge gap between the last book in the DS9 series and this one. For example, what happened with the Ascendants plotline?

Also, the way Sisko is portrayed in this book seems very out of character and forced.

At the very least, I think the publishers need to go back and create a transitional book that takes place before this one.
Gregory B.
This book is more of a political thriller than an actual Star Trek adventure. Looking at from that perspective, it works. but the writing isn't very exciting. The Typhon Pact series seems like it's just a massive setup for The Fall storyline, which explains why it's been kind of boring to me so far. As far as the Ben Sisko storyline goes, I find it very in keeping with the character in this point of his life. Anyone who thinks differently doesn't understand Sisko.
Angela
This novel tells 2 stories: Sisko going through a religious crisis, and Spock trying to keep unification alive on Romulus. The Romulus story was a lot more interesting, with lots of political maneuvering. It's nice to read about Spock still being in control even without Starfleet backing him up. I suspect the Sisko storyline will become more important later on in the series. A good read.
Tyrone Wilson
Disappointing. The story plodded along; no real action worth mentioning. I thought the Sisko character was not consistent with how he had been previously presented in TV or in previous novels.

I would not recommend this to Trekies.
Paul Griggs
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of an odd animal this one. Less of a straightforward plot driven story and more a series of events as different pieces are moved into places that they’ll undoubtedly be needed later. A missed opportunity to fill in more of the gaps since the last main DS9 novels.
James Ross
May 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's like two half finished stories were stapled together.
CapnKath
Jan 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was difficult to read jumping between 2 story lines that did not seem to relate to each other. The ending was good and connected some of the story.
Tamara
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, scifi
This is a good addition to the series, but I always loved Romulan stories. The Sisko parts of this story may be a little flat, but the Spock and Romulan parts more than make up for it.
BBFlyer
Two separate Star Trek story lines, almost unrelated alternate in sections. Very chaotic and hard to read.
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Review forthcoming
Nicolas
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Ouch. This feels like scenes that were rightfully deleted from an already long movie. I love Spock, but he's trapped in this dull reunification plot. Then there's Sisko, who I couldn't care less about. DS9 fans will probably be more in to this, but I found it dull and very skip-able.

We discuss this book further in a special episode of the All the Books Show: https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/ep...
Nicky2910
Star Trek: Typhon Pact: #3 Rough Beasts of Empire by David R. George III The main weakness of Rough Beasts is perhaps the quite clean division of its plotthreads. On the one hand we have Spock, his reunification movement, the developments in Romulan space and the founding of the Typhon Pact, on the other a Sisko who somehow reverted to the beginning of DS9 in attitude, self-esteem and approachability perhaps.Honestly, I never quite understood the rationale behind Spock's reunification movement. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Acts of Contrition (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Eternal Tide (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Protectors (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #1)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Star Trek: Picard - Countdown #3

Star Trek: Typhon Pact (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact #5)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: The Fall)

News & Interviews