Start by marking “Feuer (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)” as Want to Read:
Feuer (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)

Feuer

(Star Trek: Typhon Pact #2)

Die Gorn-Hegemonie ereilt eine ökologische Katastrophe, die die Brutwelt ihrer äußerst wichtigen Kriegerkaste zerstört. Glücklicherweise waren die Gorn bereits Spuren einer uralten, doch leistungsfähigen „Schnell-Terraforming“-Technologie nachgegangen, die von einer schon lange verschwundenen Zivilisation zurückgelassen wurde. Diese Technologie, sollte sie sich als kontrol ...more
Mass Market Paperback, deutsche Erstausgabe, 500 pages
Published July 25th 2013 by CrossCult, Ludwigsburg (first published December 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Feuer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feuer

Start your review of Feuer (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
Jerry
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not the best this franchise has to offer.
Elizabeth Perez
This one actually started off strong. I was never a huge Riker fan but he actually came off likeable to me, the characters and relationships worked, and it was a great story line. I really liked how the Gorn perceived humanoids, lost of great observations and antidotes. It was traditional 'time is running out' trek, which I like.

But then the book took a turn...

Really it started off over written. I didn't mind that too much but then it just got worse. It's so frustrating that this book could hav
Crystal Bensley
All the Gorn names made this slow going and it was longer than necessary I feel but still an interesting Titan story.
Jenny
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fiction, tv
Meh. I didn't hate it, but this book left a lot to be desired. In terms of world-building, Michael Martin is no David R. George. I've enjoyed the Typhon Pact series so far because it's given a window into species that have been under-used in Trek, but here the Gorn just felt cartoony. The Tuvok story felt very underdeveloped to me and the way most of the familiar Titan characters were written felt laboured and... off. I didn't really understand the ending; is this story going to be continued lat ...more
Ceremony
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i like reading about the gorn ! pretty interesting !
John
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I didn't really know what to expect coming in; my last experience with the name Michael A. Martin was the first two Titan novels which disappointed me. But this one was really quite superb!
The premise is very interesting: the Gorn (yes, those green reptiles that Captain Kirk tussled with) have just lost the world where their warrior caste is hatched, and a crazy, radiation-poisoned captain is threatening to use an ancient "ecosculptor" on the plant Hranrar, which will allow a new hatchery to be
Jess
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In spite of being the product of multiple authors, The Titan books have sort of hit a nice little groove. You get just enough of the minor characters that you don't forget about them. Just enough action on the main plot to tell a complete story and quite a bit of most of the preexisting characters (in this case Riker, Troi and Tuvok) that it's not the 'new guys and friends' show.

The tension is real. At least for some of the book there are some legitimate and nice twists on the Prime Directive.
Rob
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not finished this book yet but I really like the insight into the Gorn Hegemony.

I think the author does a great job of challenging our definition of racial tolerance. Even tho in the 24th century, humans seem to have accepted each other and for the most part other humanoids, we still have a ways to go with respect to more alien races. A really good comparison to our current global problem of social and racial tolerance, reflecting the core values of Star Trek itself.

I like the story line too w
Nathan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: st-typhon
I was really hoping to like this book, unfortunately I just couldn't do it.

Overall it had an interesting premise, however with the authors the writing style I had difficulty keeping track of the two Gorn factions - becoming confused between the two and their animosity despite having agreeing goals. The author also overzealously used "interference" which clears, comes back, and clears again more times than the Patriots throw interceptions; all to move the book forward. All of these are compounde
Scott Williams
I generally like Martin's storytelling. I think he does a good job of setting the scene. It's mostly thanks to Martin that we have such a strong sense of what the USS Titan is like. In this book, Martin does a good job of tying together diverse bits of Trek arcana to create a cohesive look at Gorn society.

I'm not keen on the characterization of Christine Vale. I get that she's a substitute for young Riker and she's supposed to be energetic, and more into actions than words but she's a bit much.
Brian
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lukewarm about this one. I was excited to see the Gorn in a modern Trek story, but they ended up feeling a bit cartoonish. I know that's kinda unavoidable when we're talking about giant lizard people, but I feel like you can work with that to at least make it a bit less ridiculous. Though I did like the nice little touches about how they perceived mammalian races.

My other big criticism is that this really needed a better editor. There were parts of the story that REALLY dragged on and were
Angela
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The crew of the Titan go up against the Gorn. While investigating new systems they find evidence of an old advanced civilisation who could terraform. The Gorn have found the technology and want to use it. This is quite a good look at the Gorn civilisation, and makes them more than just warriors. It looks at prejudice, and how to over come it by shared experiences. Surprisingly Tuvok is not one of the main characters here, despite being on the cover, he is the tactical officer and does play a par ...more
Michele
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
I really enjoyed parts of this book -- the story, the characterization of Tuvok (and it was great to see Melora again!!). However honestly, the prose of this book -- the inanity of the technical babble -- made it really hard to slog through. The latter third of the book was better, and I appreciated the deeper look at the Gorn. But...it was hard to get through, honestly. I reached for the dictionary several times.
Graeme Skinner
Nicolas
May 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Really I blame myself for continuing to read Titan books. This book is 50% Gorn, 25% original characters and 25% Riker/Troi/Tuvok. I did appreciate the references to former books, but as a whole this did not do it for me.

I discussed this more on a recent episode of the All the Books Show: https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/ep...
Matthew Greig
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining

This was a very enjoyable book. The story is compelling and the results, the ending is not obvious. Good book.
Tamara
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
Feels like maybe one to many story lines in this one, but overall this was a good read. Anything with the Gorn involved has to be pretty good.
Euftis Emery
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice expansion on the Gorn

Nice expansion on the Gorn. If only cbs would use the books over the crap STD scripts that are being written.
Moogie
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best book out there. Pretty boring actually. I was hoping for something more since it's a part of a long story ark.

Yvette
Feb 15, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not finish this. I will move on to the next one and hope for the best.
Star Trek    Novels and Comics
This is the ONLY Michael A Martin Novel I actually enjoyed on my journey to read the entire continuation timeline from Star Trek Pocket Books.

It is an Epic Tale and a fine one. I had to insert punctuation again to keep my sanity . The sentences can be paragraphs long with this writer. Believe me , i've read many many of his novels in the timeline and this is the one novel I thought the plot was excellent.

The characterization was good. I just bumped this up to a 3. Amazing for this writer mind
Jeffrey Debris
After reading and enjoying the first part of the Typhon Pact series, I had high hopes for the next instalment in the series. The story takes place at about the same time as the first book, but with a completely different set of characters. This time William Riker and Tuvok are the main characters, or at least, that's what we are led to believe judging from the cover of the book.

The main theme of the book is an interesting one. If you had a machine capable of both creating and destroying life on
Jeff
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Camille
Recommended to Jeff by: Found it on the Library Shelves
Shelves: science-fiction
Sieze the Fire was a much more enjoyable read than the previous title in the series, Rough Beasts of Burden, mainly because the well-known characters from the TV and Movie series are true to form, while characters created for the paperback series have interest and hold our sympathies. (I haven't read the first installment of the Typhon Pact series, Zero Sum Game, so can't make a comparison.)

Each title in the series involves one civilization of the recently formed Typhon Pact (see Star Trek: Dest
Sharon
This is the second book in the Typhon Pact series which continues to deal with the aftermath of the events that unfolded in the Destiny Trilogy.

The main events take place on the Titan. For those not 'in the know' Riker has finally been given command of his own ship. Deanna is with him and so is Tuvok whom we know from Star Trek Voyager. Titan is most known for being a multi-species crew. Here we find members of all the Federation worlds serving on board. The Titan is also the focus of a separat
Daniel
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the previous Typhon Pact novel, this one focuses on interactions with one pact member species. In this case the Gorn. In "Seize the Fire" the crew of the Titan or "Tie-Tan" continues the exploration of space in the wake of the major events of Star Trek: Destiny. What the crew discovers could represent the salvation of devastated Federation worlds, or a weapon of mass destruction. Side Note: Readers are strongly encouraged to watch Star Trek II and III to gain an understanding of the Genesis ...more
Eirian Houpe
A Slave to the Prime Directive.

This book, the second in the Typhon Pact series, took me a long while to get into, which was disappointing because ordinarily I love Michael A Martin's work. Maybe it was the focus on the Gorn Hegemony and their people that made it hard to handle, or perhaps it was the proliferation of technobabble, some of which even my spell-checker didn't know what to do with, but the first third of the book was not what you'd call a page turner.

However, after thinking that tech
Ross Vincent
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
I started this book back in November, 2010, while standing in line for a book signing of a different author. During the time I was there, I rushed through the book like crazy- before I knew it, I had knocked out a 100 pgs and didn’t want to put it down.
Sadly, I did- and it gathered a bit of dust before I picked it up again. Which is a shame, really, because it was AMAZING.

This book in the Typhon Pact series looks at the crew of U.S.S. Titan, and how it deals with an encounter with the Gorn (th
Andrew
This is the first Titan book that I have read. My only other knowledge about the crew comes from their appearance in the Destiny trilogy. The book is about a stalemate between Titan and the Gorn deep in the Beta Quandrant. There is a lot of discussion and not a lot of action. That made this book less exciting than Zero Sum Game.

Also, Titan's crew seems to know that their entire purpose is to be diverse, so the solutions to their problems must be diverse. This seems like a bit of a stretch. To ma
Krista D.
Sep 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wavered between 1 or 2 stars, but in the end I had to go with 1 star. I ended up skipping half of the book and just read the last chapter and the epilogue so I knew what roughly was going to happen in the next book.

My dislike of the book is spread between two different issues. First, I didn't find the storyline of this book all that exciting for me. The gorn just weren't that interesting to me. Also, the author's writing style really didn't match my reading style. I found myself looking up a w
Wayland Smith
The Typhon Pact crossover continues across the the Star Trek novel lines. This one touches on the USS Titan crew. Riker and his ship are trying to do humanitarian work, aiding worlds badly impacted by the recent Borg conflict.

As if the existence of the Typhon Pact wasn't bad enough, now the Gorn race is going through a major crisis. A disaster has ravaged their hatchery world, and there are problems forming as different groups are getting desperate.

The Gorn are going to try a new terra-forming t
« previous 1 3 next »
Gorn 2 7 Jan 28, 2014 11:32PM

• The Dark Veil (Star Trek: Picard #2)
  • Fortune of War
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek: Aventine #4)
  • The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #1)
  • To Lose the Earth
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Silent Weapons (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #2)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Architects of Infinity
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Sword of Damocles  (Star Trek: Titan, #4)
  • Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
Michael A. Martin's solo short fiction has appeared in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. He has also coauthored (with Andy Mangels) several Star Trek comics for Marvel and Wildstorm and numerous Star Trek novels and eBooks, including the USA Today bestseller Titan: Book One: Taking Wing; Titan: Book Two: The Red King; the Sy Fy Genre Award-winning Star Trek: Worlds of Deep Space 9 Book Tw ...more

Star Trek: Typhon Pact (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek: Aventine #4)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact #5)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)