Start by marking “Trash: A True Story” as Want to Read:
Trash: A True Story

Trash: A True Story

Flipping through a bag of old photographs, Lynn Hellers relives her traumatic childhood growing up in the low-income row houses of Kingston, Ontario, in the 1970s and 80s. Against the backdrop of the dramatic social and political upheaval of the era, Lynn’s young life is dominated by crushing poverty and the violent explosions of her alcoholic and abusive father. When his ...more
Published February 26th 2015 by FriesenPress

To ask other readers questions about Trash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trash

Claire
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderfully written memoir. Powerful storytelling and hard to put down. I look forward to reading more from this writer.
Anita Alton
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I haven't been this enthralled/saddened/frustrated/inspired by such fierce determination in a long time.
Read this book!
Lorie
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a story anybody can relate to that has abuse of all natures in their family. It so unbelievable how so many people cover things up and just figured its none of their business and denial when things are out. It is also about survival and following your dreams and not letting the evil win. I say its a for sure must read as everyone either knows someone who can relate or you yourself can relate.
Lyndsey
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story of courage and survival! Definitely a must read!!
Cea Person
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible! It takes a lot for me to say that, but I enjoyed it as much as The Glass Castle. Laurie is an incredibly gifted writer who makes you laugh through the pain. I look forward to seeing this book achieve great success one day.
Heather
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As upsetting this book was I was unable to put it down. The story is painstaking, I am impressed by the recollection of the author. I have always valued books by either the writing OR the story, and I found this book was amazing in both aspects. I am excited to read anything else by this author.
Andrea
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down, I was hooked from the very beginning, so well written, personal, gritty, sad, and surprisingly very funny at times when you least expect it. My hand covered my open mouth more than once!!
Looking forward to the next book!
Lani Milstein
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I literally stayed up all night reading this book and finished it after work the next day. A brutal and brave story.
Amanda
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing read! I couldn't put it down!
Paul
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought North of Normal by Cea Sunrise Person, which I read last week, was the most harrowing memoir I'd ever read. After all, running around routinely naked in the woods IS pretty weird. This book, however, takes over #1 as the most harrowing memoir I've read. How this author and her siblings and mother survived the drunken rages and continual beatings of the father is almost too awful to contemplate.

First of all, the family lived in complete poverty in Canada. Second, the drunken, rageful fa
Lester
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It feels a mite strange to have an "it was amazing" star. Definitely a 5 star+ story!!
To say it was amazing for me..is to say that when anyone tells their internal story..THAT is amazing. The courage, the pain, the happiness, the 'balls' to speak up and out..that is amazing.
Now..is Laurie Anne Hoover--Lynn Hellers? Is this an autobiography?
Really..it is a story..a recounting of MANY lives..so many lives.
Oh humans..what are we..who are we?
Thank you Laurie Anne Hoover..you have done the amazing..
Tracey
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an absolute must read. I found it difficult to put down. It’s written with such honesty and raw emotion and I’m proud of the author for sharing the story with us. At times I felt haunted by the neglect, physical and emotional abuse the four children went through and other times I felt like “ jumping up and down,” and cheering them on. In the end, the feeling I took away from the authors story, was how good overrules evil. Thats what the father was in my opinion, pure evil. Also that ...more
Kim Mac
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful novel. Amazingly well written. The authors grit and determination shine thru. It was a horrible childhood to endure and I can’t help fiercely disliking the parents.
In the end it’s her determination to NOT be like her parents and want a better life for herself that sees her through.
Riveting read.
Ruby
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, gripping memoir. I hope she writes the sequel she hinted at in the epilogue. Despite the harrowing content, this was an absolute page-turner.
Irene
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking, poignant, well written. Laurie,you are a strong, beautiful and resilient woman.
Amber
Victoria
Apr 03, 2016
Christa McCord
May 20, 2015
Laurie Anne Hoover was born in Kingston, Ontario where she received undergraduate and graduate degrees from Queen's University. She maintains an active art practice, largely in painting, with works ranging from surrealism to post-modernism. She is a secondary school teacher and now resides with her partner in Brighton, Ontario. TRASH is her first book.