Start by marking “Aftermath (Star Wars: Aftermath, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aftermath (Star Wars: Aftermath, #1)

Aftermath (Star Wars: Aftermath #1)

3.18  ·  Rating details ·  19,780 Ratings  ·  2,828 Reviews
New York Times Bestseller • Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Star Wars: Aftermath [reveals] what happened after the events of 1983’s Return of the Jedi. It turns out, there’s more than just the Empire for the good guys to worry about.”—The Hollywood Reporter

As the Empire reels from its critical defeats at the Battle of Endor, the Rebel Alliance—now a fledgling New R
Published September 4th 2015 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Aftermath, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Callum Pengelly I had the same impression. That vague hope made that final chapter the best part of an otherwise unbearable reading experience until I realized that…moreI had the same impression. That vague hope made that final chapter the best part of an otherwise unbearable reading experience until I realized that if true, that would mean that Chuck Wendig would be writing him. Chuck, if your reading this, HANDS OFF!(less)
Kyle Doesn't this just mean he died as was expected and the Jawa's scavenged his armor?

Alejandro
Fair reading but I found its lack of excitement disturbing.

NEW CANON EXPANDED FUTURE

No Sith remain,... ...and the lone Jedi that exists, the son of Anakin Skywalker, possesses an untouchable soul. At least for now.

I was expecting something different from this novel, Aftermath, since it’s supposed to be the first book in a trilogy setting the new ambiance in the Star Wars universe after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI – The Return of the Jedi erasing the previously expanded universe (no
Nehemiah Lacayo
Sep 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
"The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight."

And that was the moment when my eyes started bleeding. This was when I realized the Disney canon is absolute garbage.

Numerous other reviewers have noted the poor writing style of Chuck Wendig. Those other reviewers are correct. This book is horribly written, with a jarring present-tense narrative. The characters are dull and formulaic... the tech genius teenage
Darth J
Sep 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

(Somehow Canon??) Fanfiction
I can't think of a better way to describe this book. Sure, Chuck Wendig knows plenty of details about the SWU but his writing style is completely discordant with the tone of the film series. It really just reads like someone unfamiliar with the language and overall atmosphere (but very familiar with minutiae) wrote a Star Wars book. It just took me out of the story when there were weird innuendos and "frag" being used as an expletive.

While this takes place hot on the
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Before we get started:

1. I am not an expert on the subject of STAR WARS novels.

This is in fact my first STAR WARS novel, so on the subject of canon, I got nuthin’. #blankslate

2. I am not a Chuck Wendig expert.

This is in fact my first Chuck Wendig novel (that I finished).

I mention these things b/c if you scan the reviews on Goodreads, most of the reviewers are one or both of those things, and many of them did not love AFTERMATH.

I did. A lot.

The only thing I can say in ref
Khurram
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book. This book is not staring any of the main A listers of the Star Wars universe. They are mentioned, and there are a couple of cameos the story is really about Disney creating their own characters.

I do like the way that even though Luke, Leia, Han are the poster guys the rebellion is bigger than they are. There billions of beings with minor to major contributions to the success of going from Rebels to the New Republic. This is the sorry of one such pilot in the alliance t
Scott Lyson
Sep 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
We live in an age in which mediocrity reigns supreme. That's fine for the masses. We can prop up mediocre movies like Avengers and Jurassic World and overlook their flaws, the audience has lost its taste. That's the way of things, fine, just don't expect me to blindly follow. Aftermath is guilty of committing far too many amateurish crimes that I simply cannot forgive. If I had submitted the dialogue to a film professor, I would've failed. If I would've submitted the action scenes to an English ...more
Kemper
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Probably all self-proclaimed nerds have dipped their toes into the pool of tie-in books for a franchise they like at one point or another, and I'm no exception. However, I mostly gave up on the concept years ago because reading a Star Wars book when what you really want is a new Star Wars* movie is about as satisfying as eating Hamburger Helper when what you're really craving is filet mignon.

* Feel free to insert your own prequel joke here.

Yet, the idea of Chuck Wendig doing a book as part of th
Bookdragon Sean
“This isn’t some kind of inspiration story. Some scrappy, ragtag underdog tale, some pugilistic match where we’re the goodhearted gladiator who brings down the oppressive regime that put him in the arena. They get to have that narrative. We are the ones that enslaved whole worlds full of alien inhabitants. We are the ones who built something called a Death Star under the leadership of a decrepit old goblin who believed in the ‘dark side’ of some ancient, insane religion.”

description

The dark heart of the E
Glynn Stewart
Sep 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: space-opera
So, Star Wars Aftermath.
This book is nothing it was marketed as.
It was marketed as 'the journey to The Force Awakens,' and I was expecting some degree of storyline as to the new, non-Legends, course of Star Wars history.
Instead? Instead we get a minor side-story with no major SW characters and a bunch of 'interludes' that, very vaguely, hint at a possible course.
Some of the characters in the side-story are all right (some are drek, and one... is probably about as divisive in its own way as Jar J
Jay
Sep 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Jar Jar Binks' memoir would have been way more entertaining. I read dozens of EU books growing up and am super enthused about Disney's resurrection of Star Wars (the animated TV show Rebels is A+), but this book is boring! It tries too hard to be clever and stylish at the expense of substantive characterization or emotional impact, and the 'clues' into the Force Awakens storyline are shallow and meaningless. Aftermath feels like it was written by an adderall fiend on a 48 hour binge.

As a fan hu
Christina
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Author: Chuck Wendig
Rating: 2.5 stars

This review is going to be short and sweet and hopefully spoiler free.

First, waaaay too many characters. You learned about everyone from bounty hunters to civilians to Imperials to the guy who changes the toilet paper on the Star Destroyer. No. Just no. It was character overload. I felt like they attempted to cameo every character who will be in every planned upcoming Star Wars movie ever. Stop that nonsense.

The story itself was drawn out to me and not ver
Chris (The Genre Fiend)
EDIT: Yes, I have actually read this book cover to cover; it became available at a local bookstore recently. Stayed up most of the night and finished it on my lunch break the next day.

---

Review originally posted here at Geek of Oz.

Other 'Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens' reviews:
Star Wars: Lost Stars

---

When it comes to Star Wars, I'm a massive fan of the books. In addition to all the Old Republic and Prequel Trilogy stories like Outbound Flight and The Rise of Darth Vader, I bought a lot
Christopher Coughlin
Sep 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
IGN'S REVIEW:
"A hundred pages into the last prominent post-Endor Star Wars story, Heir to the Empire, I couldn’t wait to find out more about Grand Admiral Thrawn, Talon Karrde, Mara Jade, and Joruus C’Baoth. At the end of Aftermath, I’d met almost no one I cared about. The lack of compelling character development highlights a larger problem with Aftermath: everything that’s happening feels so small, so at odds with the more interesting story you feel might be taking place somewhere off-camera."

"
Renée
Sep 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's my fault for not reading the excerpt from a couple months ago. Had I done so, I never would have bought the book.

Horrid writing style and an absolute deal-breaker for me. Present tense? I despise it! Such a shame, as I was really looking forward to this book. I read the first page and was immediately disappointed as I simply cannot and will not read a novel in present tense. Skipped a few pages and then a few more, skimming. Hoping. But no, he really DID write the entire book like that --
Jaime K
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.

I preordered this book because it has Wedge Antilles in it. I had high hopes for such an integral part of the NU canon.
My hopes have been dashed. The story...has potential Yet I had almost no understanding as to why the Imperials have focused on the planet of Akiva. Or even why they are meeting there.

Wendig's writing is juvenile. There are parenthetical thoughts and additions that are incredibly unnecessary. They could be italicized or even just a part of the text. Sentences are chopp
Tom Reade
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ugh. what is this mess? I had finally relented to this new Disney Alternate timeline since the movies will be based in it. That decision alone took me 10 months to come to.

But this... why not hire the old authors who know how to do Star Wars?

I had to quit so far about half way through. The characters are horrid and uninteresting thus far.

Please tell me this is some sort of Joke and the real book is coming out soon?
Brandon
Sep 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
If this is Disney's plan for new canon, you're better off making your own stories up to fill the space between Episodes 6 and 7. This reads like something I would make up when I was 10 years old with a few old action figures and some LEGO contraptions, and it makes about as much sense.

The plot drags. The characters are barely believable and should be thrilled to receive even the designation of "throwaway". The writing style is choppy, ham-fisted, and slap-dash. The dialogue is laughable and make
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/11/09/r...

This was it, the long-awaited novel in the new Star Wars canon that was marketed as the “bridge” between Return of the Jedi and the new upcoming movie. In retrospect, the publisher might have oversold that just a tad. Well, okay, maybe a lot more than just a tad. Call me cynical though, but I never really expected to see this book provide much detail. In truth, I was more excited to see one of my favorite authors tackle on
Markus
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Aftermath is a quite decent addition to the Star Wars universe, which could pretty easily fit into either of the two now divergent timelines.

Most aspects of the book are, while nothing memorable, quite solid. I do not really see where the hatred for Wendig's writing style comes from; it was certainly not the best I've seen, but not overly distracting either. Some characters were more interesting than others, and the story doesn't really take any chances.

Some interesting thoughts did come out of
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Mar 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi

The present-tense narrative choice for a Star Wars novel was a bold one.

It failed. Miserably.

As did the writing. The writing was horrid!! It felt like grade school fan fiction.

I was so excited to read the NEW continuation of Return Of The Jedi. I was so pumped to see what was so great that the Lucasarts people felt like they could get rid of all the previous Star Wars extended universe material.

Now I'm just confused.

This is the story that is supposed to replace Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy?

Ha.

Y
Lyn
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
The great thing about the Star Wars universe is that a diverse collection of writers can make contributions to the overall canon in their own unique ways.

Author Chuck Wendig, author of the Blackbirds series, adds his two cents into the mix in 2015’s Aftermath, a story set immediately after the death of Palpatine and Vader in the film Return of the Jedi. One of the opening scenes depicts citizens of Coruscant pulling down a statue of the Emperor in a description that could be seen in post war Ber
Chris Evans
Very disappointing. If you were hoping to see what happened to Luke, Leia, and Han don't bother reading this.

If you really want to read a fan fic of what Chuck Wendig's OC's would do after the Battle of Endor, then this is the book still isn't really for you. The book was obviously extremely rushed and heavily controlled by the Disney Corporation. As a result, it seems more like a story by comity, making sure each box is checked with the minimal effort given to the story.

I'll be honest, I wasn't
Ashley
December 2015: I was nervous about reading this book for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, because there was a whole hullabaloo around it involving bigots upset at the reasonable portrayal of a diverse galaxy, and five year olds in the bodies of grown men (mostly) crying about the old Extended Universe being axed, and so they must automatically shun the new canon, as if the people writing those new books didn’t love the old books as much as they did and wouldn’t do their best to preserve as much of i
Amy Sturgis
I'll keep this short and free of spoilers. I had hoped for glimpses into the post-Return of the Jedi universe and hints related to The Force Awakens, and this novel delivers both, and so I'm glad I read it. That said, it is far from the best Star Wars novel available. The familiar characters receive little time, the original characters seem two-dimensional and clichéd, and the scattershot narrative -- which is continually interrupted by brief glimpses of post-Battle of Endor conditions in differ ...more
James Bojaciuk
Sep 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
I've never been big on Star Wars. It's there; it's fine; the movies are well-made. But one of the people I'm closest to is a huge Star Wars fanatic, and has been slowly introducing me to the rest. So I have the twice-fold unusual perspective: I'm an outsider to Star Wars, and I read this--well, as much of it as I could stomach--while reading Timothy Zahn's Thawn trilogy for the very first time.

On the first count, as an outsider to Star Wars, this book is garbage. Some people have called the writ
Edward Lorn
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Lovers of incomplete sentences, drinkers of Kool-Aid, and smokers of nutmeg.
Shelves: audio-books
Welcome to Star Wars: Aftermath, a prologue to a series that is a prequel to a sequel. Huh? Whatever. Let's continue.

First I must state what many of you already know. I hate Chuck Wendig's writing style. I only read this book because I'm a Star Wars fan and this novel is canon. But I'll likely stop here, because I cannot suffer Wendig's herky-jerky writing. Some fragmented sentences are fine, but I would hazard a guess that there are more fragments here than full sentences. He starts a paragraph
Christopher Shawn
Sep 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
One of the worst parts of the Star Wars Expanded Universe novels, before the great Disney purge, was that most felt like fan-fiction at best. It is unfortunate that Sci-Fi series can sometimes attract sub-par talent, which in turn diminishes the legacy of the brand. I'm unsure if this is a "lower bidder" kind of thing, or if companies just figure the license can and will sell itself, that they are unwilling to invest in a major talent to produce books for their heaviest hitters.

Which brings me t
Charles
Sep 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some promise, but overall disappointing

The good:
Nice tie ins with Rebels and New Dawn and the original movie trilogy
Diverse cast of characters (people of color and different sexual orientation)

The bad:
Writing style - this has been covered at length by other reviewers
Plot

This review of course is merely my personal opinion.

Like many others I found the author's writing style to be a big miss in this book. I did not enjoy reading the author's prose, but rather found that it distracted from the stor
Ineke
Sep 03, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well. The writing style was awful. Was there no editor to take out the thousand 'then''s?! It was really quite bad. I can't believe they allowed such a highly anticipated book to be published like this. About halfway through some parts were better, like they were written by another author, but this didn't make up for the bad parts.

Also, the characters were terrible. Two-dimensional and boring. There were too many of them and they all felt identical; I had a hard time telling them apart even hal
Neil
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love star wars. But star wars novels are usually a big let down.....this is no exception. Bland characters dumb inept empire. ingenious unkillable rebels. a pretty uninspired story leading to a predictable ending. Says it all when the only character of note is a droid.
Star Wars Bookwor...: Aftermath Chapters 1-9 20 130 Dec 08, 2017 02:58PM
Star Wars Book Club: November 5 11 Nov 07, 2017 06:42AM
Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens 11 68 Oct 13, 2017 10:09AM
Around the Year i...: Aftermath, by Chuck Wendig 1 14 May 02, 2017 11:16PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Aftermath on Sale 1 31 Jun 02, 2016 06:41AM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Aftermath chapters 29-38 22 108 Mar 23, 2016 11:09AM
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Lords of the Sith (Star Wars)
  • Bloodline (Star Wars)
  • The Perfect Weapon
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • Heir to the Jedi (Star Wars)
  • Edge of the Galaxy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #1)
  • Tarkin (Star Wars)
  • The Last Padawan (Star Wars: Kanan, #1)
  • Chewbacca (Star Wars)
  • Vader (Star Wars: Darth Vader, #1)
  • Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #2)
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars: Novelizations, #7)
  • Maul: Lockdown
  • Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th
More about Chuck Wendig

Star Wars: Aftermath (3 books)
  • Life Debt (Star Wars: Aftermath, #2)
  • Empire's End (Star Wars: Aftermath, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Final Six
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
    $10.00 $1.99
  • Orphan Island
    $9.00 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
“In the darkness, a red lightsaber rises from its hilt.” 4 likes
“The droid stands up. Servomotors whir as it regards its repaired arm—an arm that’s not so much an arm as it is an astromech leg. It spins the leg around, slow at first, then faster and faster until it’s just a blur. “THIS IS NOT MY ARM.” “I know, Bones. Sorry.” “THIS IS AN ASTROMECH LEG.” “No, no, I know.” “ASTROMECHS ARE INFERIOR. THEY ARE BEEPING BOOPING TRASH CANS. I AM MADE INFERIOR BY THE INCLUSION OF THIS NON-ARM.” 4 likes