Start by marking “Rationality: From AI to Zombies” as Want to Read:
Rationality: From AI to Zombies

Rationality: From AI to Zombies

What does it actually mean to be rational? Not Hollywood-style "rational," where you forsake all human feeling to embrace Cold Hard Logic. Real rationality, of the sort studied by psychologists, social scientists, and mathematicians. The kind of rationality where you make good decisions, even when it's hard; where you reason well, even in the face of massive uncertainty; ...more
Published March 11th 2015 by Machine Intelligence Research Institute

To ask other readers questions about Rationality, please sign up.
Larper It does teach you how to be rational.

It does teach you how to be rational.

I have not read Copi's Introduction to Logic but I can't imagine a better book about rationality than Eliezer's Rationality.

It teaches you about all the cognitive biases and provides examples. It's also mostly very easy to follow.(less)
Wesley Fenza Read the "How To Actually Change Your Mind" section first. Honestly, I'd suggest skipping most of the remaining sections unless you're particularly…moreRead the "How To Actually Change Your Mind" section first. Honestly, I'd suggest skipping most of the remaining sections unless you're particularly interested in a specific topic. (less)

Start your review of Rationality: From AI to Zombies
Bradley
Apart from just a few niggling quips I might have had with a few parts of this absolutely fantastic collection of essays, I think I've found one of my most absolute favorite books of all time.

I've read a ton of philosophy over the years and more psychology, thanks to my degree in psychology, but nothing QUITE prepared me for this. What we have here is not just a man in the process of designing, from the ground-up, a nice AI that won't turn around and rationally destroy us all because we're
Mikko
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Confession: The ideas in this book helped shape my identity and gave my life a direction.

Do you,
a) want to improve yourself as a human being, or
b) think that 'Nah, I'm pretty much fine the way I currently am'?

If you said yes to either question, this book is for you. It is a revelation that will make you a better human being. And the fact remains that it is usually those who think themselves wise that need a wake up call the most.

You will learn that you are wrong about most of the things most of
Mikhail
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
If I could have read just one book in my whole life, this would be it.
Gleb Posobin
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-reread
Whew, I have finally finished “Rationality: from AI to Zombies” by Eliezer Yudkowsky, which is a collection of his posts from overcomingbias.com and lesswrong.com, organized in “sequences” — sequences of posts on the same topic.

What does it mean to be rational? Why is that a good idea to act rationally? What prevents us from making optimal decisions? How can we fix ourselves? Do we even need fixing if we feel happy? Why “rationalists” are not more successful than other people?

This large
Jimmy Longley
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Reviewed as part of my 100 books challenge: http://jimmylongley.com/blog/books/

Run-on Sentence Summary

Rationality, a long and meandering collection of posts from the blog Less Wrong, purports to instruct people how to leverage probability and and understanding human biases to be better but squanders the premise digressing and bashing religion.

Impressions
The promise of this book is enticing. We are told that by learning to behave rationally, we will behave more optimally and see the world more
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
Imagine a bunch of blog posts the almost the length of the bible but scintillating, humorous, and inciteful, and original. I enjoyed this book quite a bit and learned many new things from it. I don't know if I buy everything in them but I enjoyed the exploration and mental workout they provided. It covers rationality, AI, consciousness, Many Worlds Interpretation, ethics, and an autobiographical bit by the author. The writing style is very engaging if sprawling. I recommend to anyone who likes ...more
Jesper
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you consider yourself rational? Do you think being rational is important? After reading this book, my answers to these questions are "not very much at all" and "it's the most important thing in the world". More than anything I've read before, this book gives me the sense of being important, in a way that if more people read this book and get it then the world would be a much, much nicer place to live.

So, what's this book about? Like the title says, it handles the subject of rationality - not
Nilesh
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-sciences
This long, long, long, blog collection in the name of a book has countless flaws, but its biggest achievement is it makes one think.

I should modify that: it makes its readers think based on where sciences and technologies are today. If one picks up any philosopher from previous centuries, their work might appear much more structured, pathbreaking, readable and/or comprehensive but almost always misguided based on what we know today. To learn something even from the best works of the greatest of
Paul
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Did not finish, read about a third. Full of thought provoking comments and logic. But written as a collection of essays with an incessant anti religion theme. Tried to keep plowing through, but gave up. His definition of rationality and belief in the divine don't seem to be compatible. Favorite quote: You cannot obtain more truth for a fixed proposition by arguing it; you can make more people believe it, but you cannot make it more true .
Wesley Fenza
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Starts very strong, but veers off into topics that have nothing to do with rationality. There is far too much lip service to evolutionary psychology, which is really disappointing. The rationalist obsession with artificial intelligence comes through in unnecessary ways.

I'd recommend reading the "How to Actually Change Your Mind" section and skipping the rest.
David Shackelford
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rationality
For somebody engaged in the rationalist community and Yudkowsky's other work, AI to Zombies is an epic tome filled with insight, terror, humor, and context around rationality, AI risk, and philosophy. It's very rough around the edges in pacing and tone, though, so hard to recommend to somebody not already invested in the author and his ideas.
ami
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Life-changing author
Shivam Vats
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The biggest impact of this book on me has been to clearly mark the art of rationality as a distinct art worth working on.
Francis Bezooyen
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This inspiring and monumental body of essays should be considered essential reading for anyone who aspires to be rational.
Hamish Shamus
I learned a lot of really good stuff from this book. I learned that the entropy of statistical mechanics and the entropy of information theory are fundamentally the same thing. I learned that the many world's interpretation of quantum mechanics is a more natural way of understanding the Schrodinger equation than the Copenhagen interpretation, but it isn't clear how to get Born statistics in MWI. I learned that it's easier to use Bayes' Rule using ratios than using percentages. I learned about a ...more
Ben Gutierrez
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I haven't finished this book, but there are a couple things I want to say about it anyway.

I've given up trying to get friends and family to read Yudkowsky's writings. There is a certain sort of person that is excited by applied rationality and I've only met one of those people outside of something like Hacker News or the Less Wrong mailing lists. You should read this book, it could change your life and the way you look at the world, just like it changed me.

Maybe you'd prefer Harry
Blake Borgeson
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, life, favorites
Eliezer Yudkowsky is a force of nature. Want to be smarter, as in better at defining and achieving your goals? Start here. If you're not the type to get turned off by Eliezer's style, you'll get an inspiring and sweeping view of ways our brains excel and ways they're full of evolutionary bugs.

Want an intro to these ideas that's more of the fanfiction sort? Start with Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, and see if at the end of it you don't want to get started on being more of your own
Teo 2050
33h @ 1.5x. Contents:
(view spoiler)
Sam Havens
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you hang out at the intersection of machine learning, math, and philosophy, you are probably already aware of Yudkowsky. You probably have an opinion already formed. I don't know what it would be like going into this book with preconceived notions. I somehow managed to not hear about Rationalists, Yudkowski, or most of his ideas - though I had read Superintelligence by Bostrom.

Anyway, I couldn't shut up about this book the whole time I was reading it. Which was quite a while, because it is a
Rodrigo Sampaio
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I did not finish this “book.” I stopped nearly half-way after realizing how much was still left.

Much of the other commonly-found criticisms on the low-rating reviews seem to me spot-on, so if you’ve read enough of them and already feel discouraged, my review can be skipped to the very last paragraph.

To start: this is not a book, at least not in the traditional/expected sense. It’s a huge collection of essays that leads to a very long and clumsy compilation, full of redundancy and
Virginia Rand
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting, but I found it a bit hard to understand in many places and when he says from AI to zombies he mostly means AI.
Alexey Efimik
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Extremely long and at the same time information dense book about the art of thinking.

Highly reccomend.
Steven Normore
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Will read again.
Gavin
These essays are fumbling attempts to put into words lessons that would be better taught by experience. But at least there’s underlying math, plus experimental evidence from cognitive psychology on how humans actually think. Maybe that will be enough to cross the stratospherically high threshold required for a discipline that lets you actually get it right, instead of just constraining you to interesting new mistakes.

everyone needs to learn at least one technical subject. Physics; computer
Denis Vasilev
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on rationality. Very long read, densely packed with ideas.
Scott Wozniak
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The first half of this book was amazing. He managed to get very deep and profound on what it means to think rationally--and still be engaging and witty at the same time. I was anticipating a five star review.

And then a little past halfway into the book he began to attack religion/faith. Whole chapters are devoted to the fallacy of faith, with most of the focus on the irrationality of Christianity/the Bible. I don't take away stars from the rating for believing differently than me. I fault him
Adarsh Rao
Nov 11, 2019 added it
Shelves: favorites
When I started this book for the first time, 2 years ago, I found answers to questions I didn't even know I had. Moments from high school where something didn't make sense but I couldn't quite put a pin on what it was or what was wrong about it. Moments from my childhood where some particular train of thought did not make sense.

So much of my thinking laid bare, expressed so eloquently.

So much of the way I think now, I find, leads back to ideas I've read from this book.

I never fully internalized
djcb
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Eliezer Yudkowsky bundled his many blogpost (overcomingbias.com, lesswrong.org) on the Art of Rationality in a book. I had read quite a few of the blog-posts before (perhaps half?), but it's nice to have them all in one place.

Yudkowsky's big project is building a Friendly Artificial Intelligence. That is, an artificial intelligence that provably beneficial to mankind (by some measure), and even inspect and improve its own source code while keeping the "friendliness" intact. It's a really
Franta
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update: I did not finish the book as I got fed up with Yudkowsky intellectual masturbation...

Beware: it is a bit "never ending" book. Yudkowsky goes on and on about problems with General AI, getting deep into meta level, making it a niche expert-level material.

This is composed of 6 "standard"-sized books. The quality and style are rather consistent throughout, but the topics change - from basics of bayesian reasoning, human biases, to science of cognition, ethics, philosophy, decision science,
Jorge Rodighiero
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jorge by: Roberto Musa
A 1813 pages course about the "art to finding the truth and accomplishing value from inside a human mind"

To accomplish this, Yudkowsky helps us "to learn our own flaws, overcome our biases, prevent ourselves from self-deceiving, get ourselves into good emotional shape to confront the truth and do what needs doing"
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Unsong
  • The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life
  • 80,000 Hours: Find a fulfilling career that does good
  • Crystal Society (Crystal Trilogy, #1)
  • Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies
  • Worm (Parahumans, #1)
  • Human Compatible: Artificial Intelligence and the Problem of Control
  • The Metropolitan Man
  • The Case Against Education: Why the Education System Is a Waste of Time and Money
  • Radical Markets: Uprooting Capitalism and Democracy for a Just Society
  • The Moral Animal: Why We Are the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology
  • "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!": Adventures of a Curious Character
  • Consciousness Explained
  • Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
  • Permutation City (Subjective Cosmology #2)
  • The Fable of the Dragon-Tyrant
  • How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of "Intangibles" in Business
  • Quantum Computing Since Democritus

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
From Wikipedia:

Eliezer Shlomo Yudkowsky is an American artificial intelligence researcher concerned with the singularity and an advocate of friendly artificial intelligence, living in Redwood City, California.

Yudkowsky did not attend high school and is an autodidact with no formal education in artificial intelligence. He co-founded the nonprofit Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence
“Oops is the sound we make when we improve our beliefs and strategies; so to look back at a time and not see anything you did wrong means that you haven’t learned anything or changed your mind since then.” 12 likes
“Since the beginning