Start by marking “Dragon Companion (Dragon Companion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Companion (Dragon Companion, #1)

Dragon Companion (Dragon Companion #1)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
All-new dragon adventures from the author of Geomancer. Quiet and orderly Tom is uniquely qualified for his job as a librarian at the Library of Congress. He doesn't think of himself as "special", until a dragon appears from another world and whisks him away to a magical land where a librarian is a very important person. . . .
Published November 1st 1994 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Companion

Peter Wood
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delight to read.
I see that many people complain about the straightforward and uncomplicated style of writing but I disagree with them as it makes for instant identification with the characters and takes you straight into his world.
Magpie
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf, novel
This is personally my most beloved book. in fact, it is easy for me to say that it is the best I have ever read. This novel is the one and only book from my collection that I would ensure to save in the event of emergency (fire, flood, evacuation) and I have read this novel (and the rest of the Dragon series) over two dozen times since it has found it's way into my hands.

I feel that, in time, every reader will find an author that speaks the exact same language as they do... well Don Callander is
M—
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
DNF — I got maybe twenty pages in. Standard old-school quest with an human unexpected flung in to a fantasy world (think The Dragon and the George or Silverlock) that I had picked up because the human character is nominally a librarian, but the book quite frankly bored me to tears.
Caroline
Dragon Companion by Don Callander is a light-hearted, easy-going fantasy. Tom, a librarian, is suddenly transported to a magical, pseudo-medieval style world where he becomes a dragon’s companion, helps the king, and wins a girl.

The good guys have every kind of virtue; the bad guys don’t do anything too evil.

The tone of the books strikes exactly the right balance. It does not take itself too seriously; neither does it go too goofy. The humor is affectionate, rather than snarky. Dragon Companion
Patty
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A Librarian entering a fantasy world...the common man entering a fantasy world is almost a genre in itself, but at first this guy doesn't want to save the world, he wants to organize their Library!
Elsi
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
So much fun. I read that the books in this series are being re-released and I hope to locate the other two books in the trilogy at some time.
Kel
Oct 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I have been trying to get into this book for years and finally did so. It was pretty amusing.
Cloud
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really a cute book. Has an innoncent flair that reminds me of The Princess Bride in some ways. A fun world, really enjoyed the characters and their adventures.
ron glaser
Apr 01, 2013
Dawn
Feb 18, 2012
Mikelle
rated it did not like it
Jan 11, 2014
Heidi
rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Dragonling (The Dragonling, #1)
  • The Curse of Slagfid
  • Mage Quest (Daimbert, #3)
  • Duel of Dragons (Dragonsword, #2)
  • The Book of Water (Dragon Quartet, #2)
  • Star Trek Log Eight (Star Trek: Logs, #8)
  • The Wizardry Quested (Wiz, #5)
  • Fire Ship (Star Trek: The Captains Table, #4)
  • Wizard War
  • The Tomorrow Log
  • Stealing the Elf-King's Roses
  • Delirium's Mistress (Flat Earth, #4)
  • The Rainbow Abyss (Sun-Cross, #1)
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • The Dragons of Noor
Donald Bruce Callander (1930–2008) was an American fantasy novel author, photographer, editor and graphic artist. He authored Pyromancer, a tale of young wizard-in-training Douglas Brightglade, and nine other published novels.

Born in Minnesota, Callander joined the U.S. Navy after high school, serving four years of active duty during the Korean War, and then 20 years in the U.S. Naval Reserve. In
More about Don Callander...

Dragon Companion (2 books)
  • Dragon Rescue (Dragon Companion, #2)