Start by marking “Johnnie (Siphon Collection, #1)” as Want to Read:
Johnnie (Siphon Collection, #1)

Johnnie

(Siphon #1)

A Premier lion shifter, Hugh Landry dedicates his life to leading the Berk pride with strength and confidence. Hundreds of people depend on Hugh for safety, success, and happiness. And at over a century old, with more power than can be contained in one body, Hugh relies on a Siphon lion shifter to carry his excess force.

When the Siphon endangers himself and therefore the
Published March 11th 2015 by The Romance Authors, LLC

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

CRACK, that's what.

I started this puppy late last night and couldn't stop reading. Despite being connected to an espresso drip all day, I'm still yawning. I blame CC. Also, Daylight Savings Time.

But this isn't about me.

It's about Johnnie the book. And Johnnie the person. And Hugh.

Hugh wins Oblivious Douchebag of the Century award. At age 102, Hugh apparently doesn't realize that treating a person like an object, ignoring his very existence, makes that person feel worthless. And peop
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Woah, this was just... woah!

Cardeno C. crack in the hizzous!

I usually start my audiobook reviews by talking about the story and then, at the end, I talk about the narrator. However, I just can't even talk about ANYTHING before I say what a freakin' AMAZING job Greg Tremblay did with this book. He narrated his butt off! I can't even picture this book with any other narrator. Greg made this story come to life, and he proved again why he is one of my favorite narrators. I heart you, Greg Tremblay!
Rosa, really

This is my guilty face.

Many, many months ago I promised myself that the next time I less-than-favorably reviewed a book by one of my favorite authors I wouldn't sound so damn apologetic about it.

But I knew I was lying.

Apologizing for your opinion doesn't do jack for anyone but I don't think I can help it--I've got a real guilt-complex thing going on here. Mainly about three things: my appallingly bad grammar, everything ever ever and the fact that there doesn't seem to be a writer in existence I
Ingie
Written July 23, 2015

3 1/2 - Tender sweet and quite adorable

Johnnie is a newly published lion shifter M/M by Cardeno C. who's romances usually are tender good-feel reads. — 5:50 audiobook hours narrated by Greg Tremblay - one of my favorite M/M narrators.

Smiling glad & satisfied...
As with every Cardeno C book I've read is this a touching, easy read —yummy smexy— story about characters in need of love and friendship. ~ A good one!

********************************************************
Susan
Re-listen January 2019
Greg Tremblay really brings this book alive. The story was enjoyable, but it's just such a joy to listen to this narrator.

------------------------------------------------

Audio version (and it’s SO good).

Narrator: Greg Tremblay

description

I really loved this one. It was way sweeter than I expected (I mean, helloooo, lion shifters). But of course it’s Cardeno C, so I son’t know how I could have ever doubted this book would be anything but sugary sweet.

description

This book was different than any oth
BWT (Belen)
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
UPDATED 07/07/2015 for audio book:
Once again Greg Tremblay narrates beautifully. Completely enjoyable!

This is yet another winner by Cardeno C! It's all angsty, fun, sexy goodness.

Possible trigger: Suicide attempt

Hugh is the Premier of a very large, very successful pride of lions, overseeing almost 2,000 lion shifters. Because he's a Premier he amasses an enormous amount of energy and needs an outlet to "siphon" it, a special lion shifter (always within sight or no more than a room away) that is
Alvin
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
The problem I had with this story was I can't get my head around on a fact that you'll fall in love with the person you've been ignoring and unintentionally mistreating for almost a decade.

Good thing the rest of the story was adorable and lovely. Plus, Hugh has dick spikes. :D

Try to remember this mantra I keep saying to myself to at least appreciate the story:

"They're not human, they're shifters. "

Or else, you'll go crazy understanding why their minds work how it did.

3.5 STARS. (rounded down)
Heller
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-shifters
4.5

This was such an interesting twist on shifters. I liked how it was very insulated and focused on the community. I found the Premier/Siphon relationship very different from any other shifter book I've read before so I'm interested in seeing how the author expands and explores it in the
further books in the series.

Poor nameless isolated Johnnie. This young man's story was so angsty and sad. More so for the fact that not one person in the pride noticed or cared about him. I don't blame him for
Wendy
How to say this.....

photo tumblr_mhvybvgDxl1qz4tnco1_250_zpssbnbkzcl.gif

Unfortunately this one did not do it for me. I couldn't get into the story and I didn't feel a connection with any of the characters.

This book is about lion shifters. The Leader is called a Premier and he can lead large groups of lions. Over the years his power and size keeps growing. There comes a point when all that power gets to be too much. That's where the siphon comes in. A siphon holds all the power that is too much for the premier. Shipons are pretty rare so not al p
Dalia
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, shifters
3.5 stars rounded up.

Hugh is a Premier lion shifter that dedicates his life to leading the Berk pride. Like all Premiers, he has black skin and hair. He's over a century old and weights three hundred pounds, because his body grows along with his power as he ages. Hugh has a Siphon that helps him storage his energy, which he can no longer contain himself.

Siphons, the blue-eyed lions, are rare. The Siphon can never be far from the Premier, otherwise the Premier will die. Even though the role of th
Chelsea
Re-read - September 2015, June 2018 - still fun and easy to read. Nothing overly unique compared to other shifter stories, but sometimes that's best :-)

Review:

Yep loved this book! Just like always it's a sweet easy read, in this case a nice protective and possessive alpha and the extra special, yet totally normal man who was invisible but now seen.

Hugh was very ignorant to Johnnies feelings at the beginning of the book and seemed quite cold hearted, but he soon saw what he had being doing wrong
Adam
It's Cardeno C and shifters. You know that's a good combination. And you already know what to expect.

There's the growly, emotionally constipated alpha. Who's a lion in this case!
description

There are a lot of sweet moments between the two MCs. Hugh and Johnnie almost put me into a sugar coma a few times. I'm not complaining.
description

A lot of hot sexin'. Your inner perv should be satisfied.
description

And a little bit of a action to top it off.
description

Overall, 'Johnnie' is a sweet and enjoyable read. Despite not being a fan at first, I'
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧

Day 1, in reading

I'm on chapter 4
The dialogue is child-like.

And, I'm a wee but bored reading....but...

I will try to continue, it has to get better....right?

**********
Okay, wait, what? The Premier, is a Black guy, he drives an Escalade and his favorite food was fried chicken? Or so his tribe thought.....ok.... * hand covers mouth* C.Cardeno is that you writing this stereotypical bullsh*t! *mouth hangs open*, I am stunned.

*If your wondering if this is indeed sterotype thoughts---> google it,
Elsbeth

3,5 stars

Well.Darn.what.will.I.say?

This was – I don’t know….

The story is about Lions shifters!! It begins that the Siphon is rescued from a suicide attempt. This would’ve been disastrous for the Berk pride as the Premier Hugh would’ve died also. The most important job of the Siphon is to release the Premier of his powers/burdens. If not doing so the Premier wouldn’t stand a chance surviving.

Although Hugh has lived a hundred years , he is absolutely oblivious in understanding why the Siphon had t
Macky
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
*3.5 Rounded up*
If you’re a fan already then you'll not be surprised to find that once again this feline shifter story delivers on the sweet and sexy front. And you'll notice I said feline, because this time we've got big cat shifters, lead by Hugh Landry: their gorgeous, black in both his human and cat shape, 7 foot..300 pound leader or Premier…the lion equivalent of an Alpha.

Premiers are special. Stronger and able to live much longer, they possess a power that grows as they age to a point w
Sandra
Cardeno C. is writing a new shifter series. This time, with LION shifters.

Gimme it at once!!!

Seriously, CC's books are like a drug to me. My own personal brand of heroin. Marshmallows on crackers. With chocolate, all ooey-gooey.

But enough of my addiction, let's talk about this book.

This book, people. This book with Hugh Landry, a Premier Lion shifter, who at over 100 years old is as oblivious to some things as the day he was born. Welped. Whatever.

See, a Premier has so much awesome power that
Makhda
More like 3.5 stars.

There's no insta-love. It's slow building romance. There's nothing like what we've read about PNR shifter book in here. This book is unique. Totally different.

I have to admit I yawned a lot for the first 25% of the book. I know, first book of the series is quite difficult. We have to get to know about the background story.

For the first 4 chapters, I hated Hugh. It's hard for me to liked him. For the way he treating Johnnie. Well, eventually I did liked him. And yes, they're
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
***audio narration review only***

It's Greg Tremblay. I seriously shouldn't have to say anything else for you to understand. My word that man's growl sends shivers up my spine.
Jewel
3.5 Stars

Going to contemplate my review for a bit.
Relly
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how to rate this one

It is a very rare occurrence that I have such a powerful negative reaction to one of the MC’s within a couple of chapters.

Hugh is a premier lion who at over 100 years old has too much power to exist without a siphon lion. For a siphon to carry the premier’s power he must remain close to the premier at all times. Siphons are so rare that only 1 in 100 premiers ever get one, so you would think that they would be a highly valued and regarded member of the pride. Not in
Lucy
I brought it because it was recommended by amazon based on a book I had recently read and loved. Also the our five star reviews looked promising. How wrong could I be. The premise of the book was good, two lion shifters who are at the opposite ends of the hierarchy system learning to love and respect one another despite and perhaps because of their differences.

Yet what I found completely unforgivable was how Johnnie is treated by his pride and the other hero (the premier or Hugh). At the start o
Renée
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
Well.....it's CC, so that right there tells you everything you need to know about this book. I like her novel-length stories much better than the novellas, so I had that going here too.

Here's the thing though. I don't know if I'm more sensitive to it now, but here's my pet peeve. There's a fine line between romance and cheesy. This is one of those authors that's skated past that line many a time, but it's CC and she's crack. However, the cheese is affecting me more lately, and I hate that.

I can
Kazza
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sweet, paranormal
Tired. Review on blog

However, the overview is as follows -

I liked Johnnie. It’s trademark Cardeno C – sweet, sexy, easy reading with one protagonist who starts off somewhat annoying, one who is very sweet and wins over the oblivious one. There is my must-have ‘mine’ used – I need mine in para-shifter romance… I look for it. There is some minor drama via antagonists which helps drive the story without detracting from the romance. Hugh wakes up and comes t
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
I enjoyed this quite a bit, but I was left with questions. There were a couple of things introduced that were never explored or explained. (view spoiler) ...more
Gina
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love shifter books, i love Cardeno, but this just didn't work for me. I liked the character Johnnie, but that is about it. This was a really strange story for me.
Serena Yates
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay, shifters, read-2015
My enthusiasm for this book began when I read the blurb. It caught my attention with its concept that paranormal power gets strong enough in some shifters to basically kill them unless they find a way to get rid of it, like an overflow, or in this case, a Siphon. That idea opens up a whole bag of potential issues, and it’s exactly these problems that get addressed in one of the most creative and imaginative stories I am aware of in this genre. It’s got great characters with emotional and other i ...more
Breann
3.5

I loved the original take on shifters! After reading a few series' some things start to become redundant, so it was refreshing to read something different.

Hugh is the Premier lion shifter, which is like the alpha. A Premier can live much, much longer if it has a Siphon. A Siphon is a lion that takes on the Premier's extra energy and if something were to happen to the Siphon, the Premier would also suffer. This makes Siphons really precious and protected.

Sounds like a good deal, right? No, no
Josy
~ 3.5 stars ~

That was a sweet and easy story without much drama.

I liked the slow burn and how the MCs figured out 'human' emotions but I was a bit confused about the set up of the story. (view spoiler) When I looked past this and just went with it, it became an enjoyable read.
Mandi Schreiner
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, pnr
Lion shifters - fun concept. A little slow in the beginning and while we learn a lot about the Premiere, Johni's eventual mate,I feel like we missed out on the clan as a whole. Review coming
Christy
I was absolutely fascinated and intrigued from the moment I read the blurb for 'Johnnie', book one in Cardeno C.'s new series 'Siphon'. Such an interesting take on the paranormal world of shape-shifters, this concept that they can have too much power and they require a siphon to keep a hold of some of their energy. Needless to say, I was very excited at the prospect of this new book, and the new series, particularly since I'm such a huge fan of this author.

"One moment, Hugh had no control over h
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Control
  • Strength of the Wolf (The Tameness of the Wolf, #2)
  • Soul Magic (Triad #3)
  • Axel's Pup (Werewolves & Dragons, #1)
  • Songs of the Earth (Sumeria's Sons #2)
  • Jagged Rock
  • An American Lamb in Europe
  • He's Just Knot That Into You
  • How to Walk like a Man (Howl at the Moon #2)
  • Winter Wolf (Axton & Leander, #1)
  • His Mossy Boy (Beings in Love, #8)
  • Skin (The Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • THIRDS Beyond the Books: Volume 2
  • Pretty Poison
  • Cowboys & Vampires (Venom Valley #1)
Cardeno C. - CC to friends - is a hopeless romantic who wants to add a lot of happiness and a few "awwws" into a reader's day. Writing is a nice break from real life as a corporate type and volunteer work with gay rights organizations. Cardeno's stories range from sweet to intense, contemporary to paranormal, long to short, but they always include strong relationships and walks into the happily-ev ...more