Start by marking “Angkor: Cambodia's Wondrous Khmer Temples” as Want to Read:
Angkor: Cambodia's Wondrous Khmer Temples

Angkor: Cambodia's Wondrous Khmer Temples

The great legacy of the ancient Khmer civilization, the temples of Angkor cover an area of over 77 square miles in northwest Cambodia. These monuments, built between the ninth and 15th centuries, the classic period of Khmer art, are unrivaled in architect
Published November 1st 2006 by Odyssey Books Maps (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Angkor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angkor

Fred Rose
Aug 12, 2012 Fred Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
A guide book and history. I tend to skim these books before I travel and in more depth after, it helps to seat the memory and I understand the book better then. I was in Angkor in June, it was an amazing and wonderful place. The scope of the temples and overall Khmer empire at that time, (9th - 12th century) was very extensive, and not well understood here in the West. The book could use more pictures though. I also bought a cheap guidebook from a tout and that was also helpful. But this book ha ...more
Michael
Apr 25, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the best travel guides I have ever had in my hands (full disclosure: I am a fanatic when it comes to ancient cultures, something not every reader will share). Where to start? Rooney, a PhD in art history, offers a detailed description of all major and minor temples, suggested paths to explore them, and fascinating background info. Each temple is shown in a photograph, a drawn map is provided, and all relevant info given in a concise way (i.e., time built, period, king, religi ...more
Melanie
Aug 09, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
I don't know that I can write a fair review of this book with having been to Angkor, but I'll do what I can for now. I don't like walking around sites with a guidebook, so I decided to read this book before my visit to Angkor. It has tons of information on the history of Angkor, the religious motifs found in the artwork, and the method of construction. There is also good, practical information about each temple/ancient site.
Katie
Sep 06, 2008 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Interesting overview of history, religion and life at Angkor during the 6th - 15th centuries as well as the construction and designs of the temples. Also has beautiful photos - and detailed itineraries that I look forward to using on my upcoming trip to find apsaras, nagas and gopuras galore!
Brian
Jan 09, 2010 Brian rated it liked it
This was very useful to have on hand while touring the temples of the ancient Khmer civilization. Its section on practical travel information is a bit skimpy tough, and more importantly, it doesn't provide an editorial point of view relative to which temples might be the most important to see.
Nicole
Oct 21, 2007 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone making a trip to Angkor Wat
This is an incredibly imformative book on all the temples in Angkor. Also includes the history of Angkor and background of the different Hindu gods seen in many of the bas reliefs in the temples.

Read it before you visit each temple and keep it handy while you're there.
Valerie
Jan 23, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers to Angkor Wat
A substantial book, well worth your time. Read as much as you can prior to a visit to Siem Reap; then read more after you've visited.
Blysse
Jan 01, 2014 Blysse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
A wonderful primer for a trip to Angkor, incorporating history, archeology, mythology, religion and architecture.
Krittika Mittal
Nov 10, 2015 Krittika Mittal rated it really liked it
The book is very detailed and very well written. The pictures supporting all the text are beautiful. If you're planning a trip to Cambodia, this is just the book for you. Do read!
Gentian
A thorough guide to the temples, their history and construction.
Gina Barnett
Jun 01, 2008 Gina Barnett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, asia
guide to angkor wat
yengyeng
yengyeng rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2010
karla
karla rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2007
Paloma
Paloma rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Jason Morris
Jason Morris rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2010
Piseth
Piseth rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2013
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Vincent
Vincent rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2011
Brittney Banning
Brittney Banning rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Sue Leuschke
Sue Leuschke rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Juan Pablo Cadena
Juan Pablo Cadena rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Bob Ortblad
Bob Ortblad rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2016
Doug Huebsch
Doug Huebsch rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Matt Tracey
Matt Tracey rated it really liked it
May 23, 2017
Miks Latvis
Miks Latvis rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2012
E
E rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2009
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016