Start by marking “Northern Lights: the Graphic Novel, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Northern Lights: the Graphic Novel, Volume 1

Northern Lights: the Graphic Novel, Volume 1

(Les Royaumes du Nord #1)

Without this child, we shall all die.

Lyra Belacqua lives half-wild and carefree among the scholars of Jordan College, with her daemon familiar always by her side. But the arrival of her fearsome uncle, Lord Asriel, draws her to the heart of a terrible struggle – a struggle born of Gobblers and stolen children, witch clans and armoured bears.

As she hurtles towards danger in
Published September 10th 2015 by Doubleday Childrens (first published September 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Northern Lights, please sign up.
Alison I would say yes - it's probably the British edition of the graphic novel, rather than the American edition, which is why the title is different. (The…moreI would say yes - it's probably the British edition of the graphic novel, rather than the American edition, which is why the title is different. (The Golden Compass is published in the UK as The Northern Lights.)(less)

David Schaafsma
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn-lit-based
We are big fans of Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials series in this house. We now have a third, fourth and fifth grader in the house, and the third grader is named Lyra after Pullman's main character we loved. We have listened to the superb audio versions of the books, and we very much liked the movie version of The Golden Compass, mourning the fact that the next two books will not be filmed. So you basically can't go wrong with this story as far as we are concerned.

Based on a cursory glance
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Confusing at places, and I didn't like the awful, ugly art, but it was fun to read what I had previously heard on audiobook. But why the frak do they need a year to get volume 2 of The Golden Compass? That is just plain criminal.

Personally, if you are interested, I'd recommend waiting until September of 2017 when the final Golden Compass graphic novel volume is expected to be out. That way you can just read straight through instead of waiting 2 years for the whole thing.
rachel
Nov 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
All the buzz about The Book of Dust lately had me itching to reread Northern Lights. When I stumbled across the graphic novel adaption at the library, I thought it was the perfect solution… but, umm, not so much. I do not know if it is a translation problem - since (I think) this was originally written in French - but the authors completely failed to capture the essence of the original story. The characters had no substance. Lyra, in particular, was not the fierce girl we all love. She acted lik ...more
Cathy
I picked this up at least a dozen times and could never force myself to read more than a few frames every time. The art is horribly unappealing, a terrible shame for a book that should have had stunning, beautiful art. Lyra and Pan are just ugly, as is everything else in this world. And what I read of the story at the beginning and looking ahead didn't make sense, was confusing, and frequently deviated from the book. This thing was a mess, it's a real shame. I give up on it.
laurooou
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, I was THRILLED to discover that His Dark Materials had been adapted into a graphic novel. I've read the first volume in half an hour ^^' And I loved it ! The drawings are beautiful and so far it is very faithful to the original story... Can't wait to read the others !
Emma
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much the only thing I liked about this adaptation was the underlying story. The part that they took from Philip Pullman. The artwork wasn't very good. All the characters were creepy looking and the pictures didn't really enhance the story at all, and the parts from the book that were taken were only dialogue. So much was missing, it made the story so dull and rushed. Even major plot devices were left out.

The characters and the story weren't developed at all. It was more like the adapters
Christoph
Konkret, Rating: 2,5 Sterne
(mit Augenzwinkern aufgerundet)

Puh, Auffrischen von „Golden Compass“ war das Ziel; das wurde mit der Lektüre diese Graphic Novel überwiegend geschafft!

Der Inhalt und die Bedeutung der Buchreihe ist wahrscheinlich ob der Preise, Auszeichnungen und Anerkennungen wohl hinlänglich bekannt; abgesehen davon werden demnächst von BBC wieder filmische Umsetzungen durchgeführt. Die Freude darauf ist meinerseits groß, da man sich ob der bisherigen Informationen sehr bemüht, der
Dov Zeller
I love The Golden Compass and enjoyed reading this graphic adaptation, volume 1. It's not amazing, but it's enjoyable. I hope it is adapted again at some point in the near future. I'd love to see another interpretation of the characters and the world. But this one was good enough to hold my attention and I liked seeing the book brought visually to life. I particularly liked the portrayal of Jordan College, and Roger and John Faa, and the Gyptians at sea. Some of the coloring was really nice.

See
Wol
A disappointing adaptation. The artwork is lackluster, the pacing rushed to the point of confusion at times. The handling of Ma Costa is a bright spot in an otherwise lacking graphic novel. A real shame, as this could have been something quite special in the hands of a more meticulous artist.
Barbara
I first fell in love with Lyra Belacqua when The Golden Compass, part of His Dark Materials, was published several years ago, and I have to say that the first book in the series was my favorite. I approached this graphic novel adaptation of the book--the other two titles will be published during the next two years--with some trepidation. I was worried that it would be nearly impossible to capture the fantastic world created by Philip Pullman. While some elements have been left out and Roger hard ...more
Emily
The only real reason to read this is the art, which I didn't love -- a bit too cartoony for me. And this runs into a bit of an info-dump in certain places, which seems like it might be a limitation of the form. I probably won't keep reading this, but I will reread the series!
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
A young girl gets involved in a mysterious something something and is the key to everything...or it's doom.

I strongly believe that graphic novel adaptations should be able to stand on their own. A reader shouldn't need to have read the source material to understand what is going on.

Yes, some nuance and plot points will be lost/trimmed for time and space because of the nature of the adaptation, but the graphic novel becomes its own version of the story.

This...this ain't it.

It's been about a milli
Billiebumblebee
This might not have been what I wanted it to be, but it did remind of how much I love Lyra Belaqua and the His Dark materials books. It was surprisingly charming and had some good moments, but unfortunately though I never fell in love with the art...and as it was a graphic novel you kind of have to to love it. It's such a shame, because if there ever was a series that could become a stunning graphic novel it would be this one.

So readers, skip this and read the original books. They are breathtaki
Jen
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful graphic novel version of Pullman's novel. The illustrator is amazing and captures the key components of the story, the feel of the original novel, and the characters' emotions and complexity. Highly recommend.
Jg
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's good
Brenda Ayala
Disclaimer: I never actually read The Golden Compass. I saw the movie once a looonnnng time ago, and I don't really remember much other than everyone having British accents and polar bears wearing armor.

There isn't a whole lot to say. I always have a harder time critiquing graphic novels because I feel like it's so far out of my realm of knowledge. With this, I don't have that so much. Here's why:

the drawings aren't evocative at all. They look like straight out of the Sunday newspaper cartoons,
Harris
This was quite an impressive graphic novel adaptation of the beginning of The Golden Compass, the first book in Philip Pullman's awesome His Dark Materials trilogy. It is always interesting to see the world you've imagined filtered through the ideas and minds of another interpreter of the story, and this one really brought Lyra and her daemon Pantalaimon, her home at Jordan College, Oxford, and the rest of her world to life. While following the story of the book, it is also interesting to see wh ...more
Emily
I've loved The Golden Compass since I was in elementary school. I was so excited to find out that it was being adapted into a graphic novel! This version stays true to the original novel while opening a new window into the story. It was amazing to relive a childhood favorite of mine in a new medium. The style of the illustrations is well-suited to the story. Not only did I personally enjoy it, but I'm looking forward to sharing it with my cousins. This graphic novel is something they'll be able ...more
Tracy
Just like the movie did not do justice to the book, the graphic novel does not either. His Dark Materials trilogy is one of my favorite reads. If this was my first encounter with The Golden Compass, I don't know if I would have realized what a great story it was from the comic. The illustrations are rather ugly and static. The people look like caricatures, and it's just text bubbles. The Dresden Files graphic novel translated pretty well into the comic format, and a part of that was how they cap ...more
Martin
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd
I have somewhat mixed feelings about this book. I love Oubrerie's art (Aya, Pablo: Art Masters Series), but the dialogues are a bit choppy. This pulled me away from the story and the wonders that are part of this world. I have never read Philip Pullman's original books, nor have I seen the film starring Nicole Kidman, but despite the flaws of this book I'm still pulled into the world that is coming alive here. The mystery of the compass, the missing kids, Lyra's background and the mystery surrou ...more
Jeff Raymond
I don't hand out one star reviews easily, but this one really needs to be an exception. I've liked a lot of recent graphic adaptations, but this latest one for The Golden Compass, a tale I liked but didn't love, is borderline inexcusable. The kindest thing I can say is that the adaptation really sucks the life out of the story, but given that this volume is only the first third of the actual book, it's hard to really say for sure. Add in the somewhat dull artwork and the fact that the paperback ...more
Eden
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because The Golden Compass is one of my favorite books. So, despite knowing the story and what happens already, I figured this would be a nice way to revisit one of my all-time favorite books.

It definitely reminded me why I love the book so much - the story is wonderful and interesting. And Lyra is such a great character. Sure, she is a bit odd, but I love that about her. She's different, she's herself and not afraid to be herself.

The story is definitely five stars, but the artwork.
Beleth
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Primera parte (de tres) de la adaptación a novela gráfica de la primera novela de la saga, Luces del norte.
El dibujo es un poco raro, las expresiones faciales de los personajes no son gran cosa, hay partes donde apenas hay cuatro trazos, los colores son también muy apagaditos y monótonos...no me ha gustado demasiado.
La adaptación como tal no es mala, a pesar de que hay cosas que se han quedado fuera, en general es muy fiel al libro, y sirve para pasar el rato. Probablemente me haré con los dem
Melissa
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who adores His Dark Materials series, I always enjoy a new way to experience the stories. The graphic novel was no exception. The storyline is revealed in different ways which leads to a different experience of the tale, so I very much enjoyed that aspect. The artist's style was not my favorite but I appreciated the details in each scene. Unfortunately the series for The Golden Compass will not be complete until about 2 years from now - woe is me!
prettybooks
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un vrai bonheur de retrouver cette saga de mon enfance 15 ans plus tard avec un regard nouveau. Cette bande-dessinée a su mettre totalement en valeur cette histoire magique et les dessins sont terriblement réussis. J’ai adoré redécouvrir l’histoire avec cette adaptation, et même si tout se passe très (trop?) vite, j’ai vraiment hâte d’avoir la suite!

Ma chronique : http://myprettybooks.wordpress.com/20...
I adore the novels, but the art for the graphic novel is terrible, and the choices for pacing made it confusing. I only hope that anybody reading the graphic novel first isn't put off. They'd be sorely missing out on an amazing series. I'm only giving 3 stars out of some deep fondness and loyalty to the original.
Jana
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5*

I'm not going to lie, I wasn't a huge fan of the art style. The faces of the characters just all looked weird to me, but the rest of the art was good, especially the colours I really appreciated. The adaptation itself is really cool and fun and I think I will continue on with the graphic novel series as it's released.
Adriana
I'm such a massive fan of this series that I thought this was going to be a sure thing, but the art is messy and the whole thing seems disjointed. Everything feels rushed, like you're reading a book by skipping forward a couple of pages every time you want to get to an important plot point.
A sad addaptation of a very good book.
Lily
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vivement la suite !

My Review :)
description

Dayla
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A much quicker read than I was anticipating. Loved the art and makes me want to read the original.

Happy reading!
  • Clan Apis
  • Baba Yaga's Assistant
  • Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin, #4)
  • A-Force Presents Vol. 1
  • Starfire, Vol. 1: Welcome Home
  • Crogan's March (The Crogan Adventures #2)
  • Prime Baby
  • The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation
  • Gandhi: my life is my message: a Graphic novel
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015a) #1
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Last Man: The Stranger (Last Man, #1)
  • Welcome to Tranquility, Vol. 1
  • Uncle
  • The Amazing Remarkable Monsieur Leotard
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer Volume One
  • Laddertop, Books 1 - 2
  • The Monkey's Wedding and Other Stories
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more

Les Royaumes du Nord (4 books)
  • Les Royaumes du Nord (Les Royaumes du Nord, #3)
  • Les Royaumes du Nord (Tome 2 - À la croisée des mondes)
  • The Golden Compass Graphic Novel, Complete Edition