Jump to ratings and reviews

Perfect For You #1

Perfect for You

Seventeen-year-old Meg Flannigan isn’t very self-confident, but what girl would be after her sophomore-year boyfriend dumped her by making out with another girl in front of her locker? Now a senior, Meg catches the eye of not one but two guys at school. They vie over her attention, and both are gorgeous. Sounds good, right? Not if one of the guys is her boyfriend and the other one wants to be. Meg doesn’t want to lose Ash. They’ve been together for almost five months, and she’s falling in love with him. But Noah. Ah, Noah. He’s the irresistible guy Meg has been crushing on for two years, and Meg isn’t ready to send him away either. But if she strings both along, she might be the one left in the cold.

278 pages, Paperback

First published September 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ashelyn Drake

23 books329 followers
Ashelyn Drake is a contemporary romance author. While it’s rare for her not to have either a book in hand or her fingers flying across a laptop, she also enjoys spending time with her family. She believes you are never too old to enjoy a good swing set and there’s never a bad time for some dark chocolate. She also writes speculative fiction as Kelly Hashway.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
16 (12%)
1 star
6 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 26 of 26 reviews
Profile Image for Beth Fred.
Author 12 books95 followers
July 15, 2014
I read Perfect for You as a draft--back up.
If you read the blurb, you'll notice this book was previously released as two novellas. I read the first novella then the draft of the novel. I enjoyed the novella but got really hooked right where it ended! Not fair! And I found the beginning of the first novella slow. I know Ashelyn worked on picking up the pace in the beginning. And the rest of the novel was already awesome. However, I know it's even better now, because I know Ashelyn made further revision after that. I can't wait to read the published version of this.
Profile Image for Beverly McClure.
Author 17 books453 followers
October 13, 2014
Take a girl who plays tennis and whose boyfriend plays football. Add a would-be boyfriend who also plays tennis. Mix, and you have a triangle of who our heroine will choose that will keep you guessing until the very end.

In Author Ashelyn Drake’s YA contemporary novel, PERFECT FOR YOU, senior Meg Flannigan loves Ash, the quarterback of Treemont High’s football team. But lately, Noah, the tennis player, has been showing an interest in Meg too. She’s had a crush on him for years and is drawn to his charming ways. To complicate her life even more, Meg’s ex-boyfriend Derrick is back. Freshman Liz is after Ash, and Meg’s being a terrible friend to her best friend Grayson. What’s a poor girl to do?

PERFECT FOR YOU is the perfect read for young and old alike. For teen readers that may be going through the same “which boy is right for me” experiences to see that they’re not alone. For older readers, like me, it will bring back those agonizing years when the boy you liked always cared for someone else and the boy that liked you, you couldn’t stand. Sometimes I wanted to shout at Meg to stop being so wishy-washy. She had a boyfriend that would do anything for her. Of course, the other guy was pretty nice too, and good looking. The characters each have a distinct personality. Meg really has great choices, whichever boy she decides she loves. No, I’m not telling. Read the book to find out. So pick up a copy or download it to your e-reader and go along with Meg and friends as they deal with their problems, not always in the best way, but the best they know how.

The author provided me with a copy of the book for my honest review.

###
Profile Image for Hilda.
236 reviews3 followers
October 20, 2014
I found that Meg's bouncing between Noah and Ash almost painful to watch. Granted, it makes sense for her age but the fact that she can't figure out what is and what isn't real is very frustrating. It's a continual battle between two guys that, truly, I don't think are a good match for her. I don't see that she really matches either of them. She's young and immature--two things that, when mixed together, can be disastrous. Ash isn't much different--he seems to play into the "stupid boy" role too easily with his inability to control his jealous over Noah. Noah, though a bit more cocky and sure of himself, was the one character I was able to really be okay with. He may be the bad guy in it all, ruining Meg's "happily ever after" (but, really, do we see her and Ash working out in the long run?) but he was easily the character in this book I was able to like. Were his intentions clean and clear? Probably not...but he didn't give off an annoying sense of "high school" like Meg and Ash did for me...

There was just too much back and forth for me, I didn't enjoy the story as much as I thought I would. I was able to get through it, though. The story was a bit too angsty for me (oh my, whoever thought they'd ever hear me say that!!?) with all the drama that was going through Meg's head and between Meg and Ash and all the other characters contributing to their relationship demise. All in all, this wasn't what I was expecting it to be. Too many twists to an ending I didn't quite agree with. However...I may be the only one who feel this way!
Profile Image for Paula  Phillips.
4,751 reviews284 followers
August 18, 2014
After having her heart ripped out and stomped on , Meg Flannigan is now in the place to settle down and finally find her happiness again as she has a great friend in Grayson and the best boyfriend a girl could ask for - Ash - the school's quarterback and football star. This should have been a relaxing year where Meg didn't have to worry about girls stealing boyfriends and hearts being broken. That is until the guy she has had a crush on for like ever Noah starts to pay Meg a bit more attention and soon tells her that he is in love with her. Meg enjoying Noah's friendship and plus she has told Noah repeatedly that she has Ash for a boyfriend sees no harm in "hanging out". But what will happen when Ash gets jealous and newcomer Freshmen Liz has her eyes set on Ash ? Will this put a damper on their relationship especially when Ash tells Meg to stay away from Noah and he will stay away from Liz ? What happens though when Meg finds out that Liz won't stay away from Ash though and the claws come out ? Just to go and make things more complicated, the guy who broke her heart into a million pieces and the one that has made her wary of all guys - Derrick has just returned back to school and wants Meg back too ?

In this four squared love triangle , with each guy being perfect in their own way for Meg, whom will she choose ? Which guy will be the perfect fit for Meg in "Perfect For You".
Profile Image for Lea (Between fantasy and reality).
319 reviews82 followers
February 22, 2015

Review also posted on my blog Between fantasy and reality

I have read a few books from Ashelyn Drake, well, from her alter ego Kelly Hashway and I liked the so when I saw the opportunity to be a part of the blog tour for her new YA romance, I signed up. I was curious how it would turn out since all her other books I read had a paranormal background. For me, this was a good and relaxing summer read. It was light and had some issues but in the end it worked out well.
We meet Meg when she is in a 5 month relationship with Ash and she is in love with him but the guy she had a crush on for two years is starting to pay attention to her so she doesnt know what to do. She was hurt and cheated on in the past so she has her issues to work out. In the begginning I didnt like Noah because he pursued Meg even though she was in a relationship and I didnt like Meg because she let him. But through the book we see why she was drawn to Noah and that he really liked her so he couldnt help himself. Even though someone ends up hurt, I liked how the story ended because it made the most sense and those two were, indeed, perfect for each other. So, read the book to see with who Meg ends up with and for the pure fun this book is.
Profile Image for Shayna Varadeaux.
Author 5 books100 followers
September 19, 2014
Can you say wow!? That was the mother of all love triangles! LOL I think it may have been a square though with Derrick in the picture!

I like the characters and the story was easy to read even it was a bit predictable. But as far as YA Contemporary Romance goes it was a great book. Full of insecurity uncertainty crushes and first loves. It was Meg's roller coaster and what a heck of a ride it was! I really liked the true uncertainty that comes with being a hormonal teenager. Sometimes books present young teens as level headed and steady when most are all insecurity and raging hormones. I liked that the writer was just one with the MC. You had no doubts to her feelings or what was going on inside and I liked that very much. The setting was good too! I love a good book I can lost in and I did with Perfect For You! Decision, decisions and did she have some to make... wow.

I recommend it for YA Contemporary readers for sure! I dunno which swoontastic guy I liked the most but there's plenty to choose from.
Profile Image for Andrea.
Author 8 books94 followers
September 13, 2014
It's been a long time since I've read a teen romance novel, and Perfect for You was a great reintroduction! Ashelyn Drake wrote an incredible story about a girl torn between two great guys, as well as a great hurt from her past.

Meg is totally in love with Ash, but past experiences keep her from completing trusting her heart. When Noah begins flirting with her, she's even more confused. What ensues is a love triangle fueled by love, pain, distrust, and confusion. I was constantly jumping back and forth from Team Ash to Team Noah. In the end, Meg made the right choice.

The book definitely says a lot about teen love, and the trials and tribulations it goes through. It speaks to the heart and keeps you holding on, waiting to see what would happen. For anyone who has ever felt the wonder and sting of first-love, first crush, or first anything, this book is for you!
Profile Image for Katie Hamstead.
Author 18 books218 followers
January 1, 2018
This was a book I've had sitting on my kindle for a while. I had it on my 2017 TBR purge, so I squeezed it in right in the nick of time!
My feelings were pretty meh. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. The characters were pretty ordinary, and I didn't feel any real connection to the MC. She was just a typical silly girl. The guys were the same, just ordinary.
I did root for Ash all along, simply because Noah was so... stereotypical.
Anyway, read it, thought it was cute, and checked it off my list.
Profile Image for Medeia Sharif.
Author 18 books426 followers
September 21, 2014
I was already familiar with Meg and her teen romance/love triangle storyline from the author’s two previously published novellas. I enjoyed being in Meg’s world again in this longer piece. Drake knows romance and I look forward to her future books.
Profile Image for Casey.
2,404 reviews37 followers
May 2, 2016
Review originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

Perfect for You is the first book I have ever read by Ashelyn Drake, but I thought this book sounded really good. I occasionally like to torture myself with love triangles, and this one seemed to be right up my alley. Perfect for You is a young adult book, and the characters are in high school. I do think that this book can be enjoyed by readers of all ages though as long as you keep the age group in mind. I did find the characters to be childish and immature, but that is the age group and I honestly didn't think that it was anything out of the ordinary for how most teens act.

Meg Flannigan is a senior in High School, and enjoys spending her time with her best friend Gray, her boyfriend Ash, and playing tennis. She was humiliated as a sophomore when her then boyfriend Derrick dumped her for a freshman. Ever since, she has had a hard time trusting others. Even though things are good with Ash, she finds herself being drawn to her crush Noah who has started to notice her finally after two years of her crushing on him. When Noah makes it his mission to win Meg, problems begin to occur between her and Ash. To make matters worse, Liz a freshman cheerleader has set her sights on Ash and refuses to give up. As Meg finds herself torn between her boyfriend Ash and the charming and sweet Noah, she has to make a choice or risk losing both of them and ending up alone.

I really loved Ash. He was sweet and kind, and a lot more patient than I would have been. I do think he screwed up. He was blind when it came to Liz at first, and even after Meg filled him in he continued to allow her to think she had a shot because he liked the attention. But he didn't cross the line with her, and he really did love Meg. Meg drove me nuts at times, but I did like her. I felt her conflict between Noah and Ash, even if I didn't agree with her actions at all. She loved Ash and was happy to be with him, but she also had liked Noah for so long and he was such a good guy. I think that she let things with Noah go on for far too long though, and he was right in the fact that she didn't push him away or try very hard to stop things between them even when she knew it was wrong. But I thought that Ash and Meg were so great together, and I was rooting for those two from the start. I didn't like Noah though. He might come off as this great guy who really liked Meg, but at the same time he never made a move until after she was with someone else. Then he claimed to not be trying to break her up with Ash, but his actions spoke a completely different story. I really thought that despite his feelings for Meg, he was a wolf in sheep's clothing and I didn't care for how he acted at all. He wasn't a good guy deep down, and he really killed parts of this book for me.

Overall, I think that this was a good story. It was a quick and easy read, if a bit frustrating. The characters definitely acted their ages, and at times I really wanted to tell them all to grow up. They made horrible choices, thought of themselves above others, and reveled in attention they shouldn't have because it felt good. But honestly that is what being a teenager is all about. They were no different than any other teen I have ever known, and I think that they were written pretty realistically. My biggest complaint of this story was Noah though. I just didn't like him and thought that he was a complete fake. He was out to get whatever he wanted and didn't care who got hurt along the way. The worst part is that he didn't even really seem to actually care about Meg that deeply, and he seemed to just want her at the time and I think part of that was just the chase and wanting what he couldn't have. I think that I would have been able to relate to him much more if he wouldn't have been so selfish, and if I felt his feelings for Meg were genuine. I think that this story was one that a lot of people will enjoy, and it was a good book to slip in when you are looking for something to kill a few hours without being too heavy. I would read more from Ashelyn Drake in the future, and I did enjoy her writing style.

**ARC Provided by YA Bound Book Tours**
525 reviews130 followers
July 21, 2020
FicCentral.com

Meg’s never quite recovered from the betrayal and humiliation of finding her boyfriend kissing another girl during sophomore year. But two years later, she’s done her best to move on with Ash, her almost perfect boyfriend of five months, and everything seems to be going well. Until Noah shows up. Noah, the guy who never noticed her even as she crushed on him for years, who never spoke to her before, who’s suddenly paying attention to her and making it clear he’s interested in more than friendship. Choosing between the boy she’s always wanted and the boy she has isn’t going to be easy.

But... Sadly, the author was kind enough to thank an editor who thinks mid-drift is a body part. And apparently doesn’t own a dictionary. Or have access to Google. I’m sure many would say that’s not a big deal, but I have to disagree. Butchering words that have been in the English language for roughly a millennium is something I would expect from a teenager on Facebook, not someone whose job it is to know the finer points of the language.

The Verdict: Perfect for You is a surprisingly accurate look inside the angsty, emotional, confusing, second-guessing, insecure mind of a teenage girl. One moment, she’s perfectly happy with Ash, and the next, she’s paying more attention to Noah than she should. And it’s not the usual thing where she’s too naive to see Noah’s motives. Sure, at first she’s not certain that he’s really interested in her, though she does spot some clues. But then it’s pretty clear, and against her better judgement, she just can’t stay away from him.

Ash is easily the perfect boyfriend — at least as far as high school goes. But he, too, is getting some unexpected attention from a fawning freshman cheerleader, and that brings up all Meg’s old insecurities from when her previous boyfriend thought publicly cheating was a good way to break up with her. Meg’s jealously over this new girl and trouble balancing innocuous friendship with the desire for Noah’s attention with Ash’s emerging jealousy makes for a love triangle that’s probably played out in every high school in America. And despite the fact that I attended high school sometime around the end of the Neolithic age, I was sucked right back into that incredibly emotional, confounding, occasionally hysterical bubble of teenage angst.

That’s not to say it’s an entirely angsty read, though. It’s more of a teenage emotional journey with a little coming-of-age sprinkled in. If you didn’t feel like Meg at some point in high school, you certainly had at least three friends who did, so I’m pretty sure everyone can relate to her in some way. You probably dated an Ash, too, even if you didn’t realize it at the time. And Noah? He’s that one unattainable guy you still swooned over when no one was looking. Unlike a lot of young adult books that take place in those old linoleum halls, Perfect for You stays true to the high school drama that arises from virtually nothing, without throwing in any over-the-top conspiracies involving mean girls or too many scenes more appropriate for contrived TV drama than real life. For the bulk of the story, I was just as torn as Meg, thinking Ash was absolutely wonderful and still wondering if Noah could be the one. Fortunately, the end of the story plays out just as believably, somehow delivering a happily ever after that is the perfect culmination of all that teenage emotion.

***FicCentral received this book from YA Bound Book Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Profile Image for Lisa (lifeinlit).
695 reviews461 followers
September 25, 2014
3.5 stars!

Meg Donahue hasn’t had the best luck when it comes to romance. After being dumped by her boyfriend in one of the worst, most embarrassing situations ever (seeing him kiss another girl in front of her locker) she becomes heartbroken, wondering if she will ever find true love. Her parents are lovey-dovey, kissy and affectionate in front of her, and she becomes concerned she will never find a love like that. (Though their PDA moments really make her uncomfortable most of the time.) Meg finds herself stuck in a tough spot. Two boys like her, and she has feelings for both as well. How do you choose between what your heart wants and what your head wants?

Perfect For You was a fun and quick read. I read it all in one sitting, which is quite rare for me. Meg is a likeable character and extremely relatable, since I was quite similar to her in many aspects when I was her age. Her two love interests, Ash and Noah, are definitely your typical teenage boys. Ash got on my nerves more than anything, but I could definitely relate to a character like that. I just wanted to smack him!

What first caught my attention about this book was a fun, contemporary feel of the cover. I’m glad I decided to give it a try. I always like finding new contemporary authors whose writing style works for me. I’ll definitely be checking out Ashelyn Drake’s other books. This was a fun contemporary book, which just happens to be my favorite go-to genre when I’m not sure what to read next. This was the perfect fill-in book between two more serious ones. I would definitely recommend this book for a fun, quick read to lighten your reading mood.

(Thanks to Swoon Romance & YA Bound Book Tours for the review copy!)

Find this review and others like it at Lost in Literature!

lisamonkey

Profile Image for Hannah.
Author 8 books43 followers
September 10, 2014

Review
*Note: This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review*
This book had a synopsis of a cute YA contemporary, and honestly, I was pleased I got the chance to read it as part of the blog tour. I went into it with high hopes, and unfortunately these hopes weren't exactly met.
This wasn't a bad book, in fact, I enjoyed a lot of it, and got through it pretty fast because it was a light easy going book.
I had two main issues with the book though, one is that I felt it was a little repetitive. The same situation seemed to happen over and over again, and that got a little tired.
The second, is probably the most significant of the issues I had. That issue is that Meg, for me, was not a likable character. I wanted to like her. I wanted to see the conflict in her. I wanted to sympathize with her past and see her as a good character. I just couldn't.
I wound up feeling annoyed more than once by her actions, and that doesn't make for a great reading experience.
Now onto some high points. I thought that Noah was a fantastic character. He was so well written, and I really loved how he was portrayed. What I liked a lot about his character, is that I thought he'd turn out to be one way but he surprised me. All in all he's a brilliant character, and for me, he really carried the book.
There were some fantastic scenes between him and Meg, and honestly I wish there had been more of them.
Overall, this is a decent book. Noah's character is definitely the highlight, and I'd say it's worth a read if you like light contemporary YA.

Rating: 6/10
341 reviews22 followers
September 19, 2014
Perfect For You is a great teen love story that will bring you back to your high school days when everything didn’t seem so easy, there were tough choices to make and friendships/relationships seemed to be always on the go. Ashelyn Drake does a great job of writing about Meg Flannigan and her troubled relationship with her boyfriend of five months Ash when the boy she had been crushing on for the past two years finally notices her – Noah.

Drake does a great job of staying true to her characters and never leads them off their path and doesn’t make them do drastic things that you would be questioning. Her writing is impeccable and the storyline is great. Everything you need in a great Teen/YA novel.

I really liked Meg as she was a character whom I felt struggled with her decisions, felt remorse/guilt but did what she felt she needed to. Meg wasn’t entirely a push over and her relationship with each of the boys was very unique and different. I felt bad at times for Meg because we all know those life decisions are not easy.

Add to your To-Be-Read-Shelf if you wanted to go back and reminisce of the high school romances and dilemmas.
Profile Image for Genesis Reyes (Whispering Chapters).
912 reviews275 followers
October 22, 2015
I thought this was a story I was going to enjoy...mistaken completely. I have read love triangles before and never had a problem until now. I HATE Noah SO MUCH. Every time he appeared in the book, it would ruin it for me. Thanks to him, I am giving this book 1 star.

The story started frustrating me while reading when Noah appears to take Meg to the water park. He is not respecting Meg and Ash's relationship and I downright dislike him a lot. When I got to the end of Chapter 12, I closed my iPad and put it away because I couldn't keep reading. But then, curiosity kicked in and I kept reading, only to get furstrated over and over again. The only thing I loved about the story was Ash, the perfect boyfriend and Meg just doesn't seem to care that she's taken when she's with Noah. If you play with fire, you will get burned.

I have nothing else to say, other than I disliked this story completely, especially Noah.
Profile Image for Once.
2,344 reviews69 followers
December 27, 2014
I have never read a book by this author. It was really good from the beginning to the very end. I love reading books about a romance triangle between one girl and two boys. Meg has been with her love Ash for a long time. All of a sudden Noah a boy that she crushed on for a while started to notice her. Even though she has a boyfriend. Read more here
Profile Image for Jennifer .
554 reviews11 followers
March 20, 2016
A wonderfully angsty teen book! I wasn't sure where it was going to end for awhile there... but it ended perfectly! I loved the characters and felt the feelings and indecision were accurate for the characters ages. It reminded me of my younger self at times. Another knockout by the author!
Profile Image for Stephanie.
59 reviews
October 29, 2016
tough i have ro say that i liked the first book better.i have tosay itsstill a cute book. ithink i had some trouble with the part where she is struggeling if she likes one boy or another. but still like it. still like a happy ending
Profile Image for Junieb.
109 reviews1 follower
December 30, 2015
Light fluffy book. Main character was not very likeable but meh it was a quick read.
Displaying 1 - 26 of 26 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.