Start by marking “Theories of Personality” as Want to Read:
Theories of Personality

Theories of Personality

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  405 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
This seventh edition of 'Theories of Personality' continues to provide comprehensive coverage of the most influential theorists of personality.
Published July 15th 2008 by McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages (first published February 1st 1990)

Joevarian
My all time favorite! Too bad I haven't yet learned personality psychology in my own campus. I always loved non-scientific part of psychology, and this book represents it. The psychodynamic parts get the biggest portion here, because those fathers of psychodynamic have decent theories of personalities. They are the trigger of the studies of personality.

What I really love from this book is that this book isn't really a scientific book. It's a scientific-philosophic book. Perhaps that's the reason
Giselle
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
The most comprehensive book about theories of personality with updated research files included.
Justine
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very well-organized, comprehensive introduction to theories of personality that covered both abstract, philosophical ideas on humanity and human nature, some of which are empirically defined, and those that were not as per the confines of scientific measurements, still offered deep insights into human nature. A great book for the novice and intermediate students that will introduce them to the science and philosophy of human personality, as well as for the advanced students who are looking for ...more
SℓιM
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college-books
Very interesting book, learn a lot while I was in my psychology class, while reading this book. It gave some important information when it came to personality of human identity. I had to read this book for my psychology of personality class.
Sofia
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very clear explanation with quite simple words. The only thing is that it's not complete enough, at least for me. For example, Thorndike and Frankl's theories are not in the book (but to be honest literature on those are quite hard to be found).
Bailey Marissa
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A textbook that deals the different theories of personalities.

Used with Liberty University Online's Psychology of Personality.
Billie Pritchett
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is a textbook about the various theories of personality in psychology. For the purposes of the book and for purposes of psychological study, personality as a construct is defined as "a pattern of relatively permanent traits and unique characteristics that give both consistency and individuality to a person's behavior" (p. 4). The textbook I read is the seventh edition (it has since been updated, and I will soon read that for a course), which covers the following kinds of personality theorie ...more
Anders Brabaek
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very well written. However, the book concentrates on the "classical" personality psychology.
It is fairly weak on trait theories. Likewise, it pretty much leaves out all the more recent theories, and by recent I mean the last 30-40 year. That is, it completely leaves out Narrative theories, Personal Project Analysis and goal theories, various positive psychology theories (Character Stregnths etc.), the adaptive unconscious, various mindset theories etc. And of course HEXACO, but that is expected
Carrie Fleharty
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
For those people who are studying psychology, this is a must read, specifically those individuals who are learning about the theories of personality. Read it sporadically, not cover-to-cover, unless you are a student. This book is filled with the major personality theories from Freud to George Kelly. This is more than a handbook of personalities, it is the thoughts and the backgrounds of those individuals who have studied personalities and offered reasons behind those personalities. Theories of ...more
Jireh
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Had to read this cover to cover to look for hints of hope for boards. Well, it did help. A lot! The back stories of each theorist helped me understand more about their theories. I've made a mental note (*and I'm publishing it here so that I'll remember) to reread this next year so that I'll unearth more and more about the theories that suspends the psychological perspective of life into existence.

After reading this, I learned to respect Maslow a lot.

The critique for each theory at the end part
Amber
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book as a tag along for this class!!!! It was written so easily to understand and made the class just that much more fascinating!!! I may be a Psych major, but I swear that this has been one of the best books that was required along with the class readings!! The information was relevant, the material written to make it more interesting, and then had ways to further delve into the Personality Theories online!! What could be better than all that?! For a school book, not much else.
Danica Shahana Magtubo
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because I needed to pass my board exam for psychometrician. I enjoyed reading this book for months because I always re-read some parts of the theories, especially the psychodynamics theory. The related researches are really informative and has given me ideas on future researches to conduct. Overall, this book has given me an in-depth understanding about the theories of personality.
Tiffani
Sep 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was for my Personality Theory psych class, and I keep picking it up because it is SO GOOD! I love theories and philosophies about how the human being acts and think, and this has 15 (I think) psychologists from Freud to Rogers to May. It's fantastic and I love every bit of it :)

I would recommend it to anyone that wants to broaden their perspective on how to relate and understand others.
Tessa
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: psychology students, those interested in psychology
This is the very first book that I've ever had and read page by page when I first stepped into taking my psychology major. Thanks to our psychology major teacher, I was able to discover this wonderful book.

Theories and its terms are understandable and well explained, also a good background check on who are the Psychology Theorists behind every theory.
Timotheos
A good read. Although there are some concepts that the authors fail to explain well, I will still recommend this book to my colleagues. A good book that complements this is the one written by Schultz. Also, where is the theory of Henry Murray?
Shiela Marie
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Been reading this Theories of Personality. Well, badly needed, anyway, though this is academic book, Feist and Feist made a comprehensive some up of Theories. Very organized and understandable. Though lengthy, well very informative anyway!
Rodrigo
I like to know about teens
Happy Virgina Puspa Nirmala
what a great book for psychologist
Melissa
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for understanding the foundations of the various theories that came about that are in common use today in psychology.
Emily
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a textbook, this wasn't bad. If you're interested in the different personality theorists (Freud, Jung, Adler, etc.), this is a great book.
Jin Sent
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
my favorite textbook
Eric Brooke
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
A good introduction which compares many perspectives on Personality. Very expensive.
Tya Setyaningsih
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i just need this book for my paper right now
Lasynda Shichiroji
The way this book is written it's not an overload of information that you don't understand. It's almost a relaxed read.
Jacquelyn Smith
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Class is over this was a great book for PYS/405
Stefani
Complete theories and history. simple language. could be a guidance for personality theories.
Erjon 7
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well a must have book for all psychology students!! The best book of personality theories
Ahmadi N
Feb 13, 2016
Pamela Sanchez
Jan 29, 2013
Abbie
Apr 27, 2012
  • The Discovery of the Unconscious: The History and Evolution of Dynamic Psychiatry
  • Our Sexuality
  • An Introduction to Theories of Personality
  • Beginning to Heal
  • Kaplan & Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry
  • The Developing Person Through the Life Span
  • Sensation and Perception
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Psychology: CIG to Psychology
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • Human Development
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • An Introduction to Theories of Learning
  • Theories of Personality
  • Competent Christian Counseling, Volume One: Foundations and Practice of Compassionate Soul Care
  • Metaphysics