Start by marking “The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth” as Want to Read:
The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth

The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth

This is a bold book by James Altucher because he not only gives you a new map for the new financial landscape, but he also has skin in the game.

This is the first financial book in which the author REVEALS HOW HE, PERSONALLY, MAKES HIS OWN MONEY.

We are living in an epic period of change, danger and opportunity. The economy is crashing and booming every few years. People a
Published March 2nd 2015 by Choose Yourself Media, LLC (first published March 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth

Max Nova
Here's the thing about this book: it's a poorly written rant... but it has some gems in it. Now, you can decide on your own whether you want to take life/business advice from someone who has fluctuated between millionaire and broke (multiple times!), but some of his points certainly ring true. Altucher has some interesting things to say about sales, HR, fundraising, and investing. There's also an interesting section on "myths that ruin peoples' lives". Lucky for you, I've extracted all the pearl ...more
Nick
Well, I'll give this to Altucher: he knows how to market. I read a blog post with a link to the marketing pitch he made for this book, which compelled me to buy it (not on his site, for $40+ but on Amazon for 99 cents, thank you very much). There are useful nuggets sprinkled among the steaming piles of conventional wisdom, but to find them, you are forced to read some of the worst-written sentences on the planet, and worse still, you have to spend time with a self-obsessed guy who is convinced y ...more
Christian Grobmeier
Mar 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
James knows how to market, and he made me buy his book even before I started with the "Chose yourself" book. When I found out "Choose yourself" is not really the thing I was hoped for my expectations for this book went down. But seriously... it was a huge disappointment. He repeated a lot of content from "Choose yourself" and added some examples. If you read his blog then there is nothing new for you. It's always the same things he mentions: college is stupid, the world changes, and you need to ...more
Keith Leslie
2.5 stars - James Altucher always fascinates me. He has had a ton of financial success and has interviewed top performers from every imaginable field on his podcast. He shares what he’s learned from his guests’ experiences as well as his own in the hopes that it helps someone, and his worldview is so different from the norm that it makes you question whether his approaches are crazy, brilliant, or both.

The content in this book is pretty fun and thought-provoking at times and seemingly hacky at
Nathan Sudds
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading some other comments on this book, I've got to add my brief take on it.

I love James Altucher, but as someone else mentioned you probably either love him (and his writing) or you hate him.

This book much like the initial Choose Yourself book is one part motivational, one part timely wisdom, and one part crazy... I mean entertaining :) And that's why I love it.

James takes on a serious topic without taking himself or the topic too seriously, which I think is what I love about all his wr
Pradyot
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
James Altucher is a a real genius or a real nutter and I'm yet to make up my mind on which one. The Choose Yourself Guide to Wealth, like its predecessor, Choose Yourself is a philosophy and ideas that Altucher claims to have worked to make him have a happier and more fulfilling life. The first part of the book doesn't really tie in to the title - it seems like a random collection of essays centered around the principle of becoming an "idea machine" through the daily practice. The sections dedic ...more
Kevin Koskella
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really informative book by Altucther. As usual, he does repeat some themes from previous books/blog posts (i.e. The Daily Practice, don't buy a house, college is a waste of time, etc), but there are some really awesome ideas that I got from reading this book. He gets into a lot of detail about starting a business, and how to invest. Some specifics and some mindset stuff. And, I love his casual writing style and humor (although there were a few typos in the book). If you haven't or have read Altu ...more
Joe Legros
I was first exposed to James Altucher by Tim Ferriss in "Tools for Titans" and was encouraged to exercise my "Idea Muscle." Since reading that chapter, I have been writing down at least 10 ideas per day; I'm now on week five and it has been an enlightening experience. Most of my ideas are bad and I will never act on them. However, Altucher would say, "The ideas themselves don't matter. Exercising the idea muscle is what matters most."

Regarding "The Choose Yourself Guide to Wealth," Altucher is
Chris
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Bit Haphazard, But Has It's Charm

Maybe not directed to my age group and written in the aftermath of the Great Recession , the book has it's salient points. But, it's a lot of throw a boatload of ideas against the wall and hope something sticks. Most people need consistency and order to pay the rent or mortgage and save for old age. That has not changed in a millennium and will continue as the broken economy slowly repairs itself. The book does have a nice human touch due to the author's up and
Maulik Naik
I read two back to back books of James Altucher. The one I am writing the review and Choose Yourself: Be Happy, Make Millions, Live the Dream. Reading Choose Yourself impressed me a lot and made me read this one. I must say James is one of the most practical authors I have ever came across. This books highlights clear steps and methodologies to de-clutter your mind from various belief that are followed from ages.

At some stages in the book it looks a dragging one, but otherwise it is a gem to rea
Jack
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Altucher's ideas and believe that many I've never tried in my life are at least worth giving serious consideration. He talks a lot about becoming an Idea Machine which could have considerable benefits. Especially for younger people, this book is a good primer for surviving and thriving in today's environment.

What is detracting, for me, is Altuchers unrestrained enthusiasm for his ideas, his appearance and the fact that his book contains numerous typographical and grammatical errors. Of co
Jason Shih
Some good advice but really feels mostly like ramblings of a guy who made it clear he's only writing this book to add an extra source of revenue. I've got a lot of good ideas from this book which is why I gave it two stars, but it felt like he was just throwing his ideas out while telling you they might or might not work. While that is akin to reality, it really created the sense that he doesn't have any real, quantified evidence to any of his ideas, only his personal anecdotes which he reassure ...more
J Crossley
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Choose Yourself Financial Edition.

I really like James Altucher’s writing style. He is brutally honest about his life, and i feel that this makes him better to listen to than someone who seems “perfect.”

In this book he reviews the concepts from Choose Yourself, and adds more information regarding business and finances. There is a wealth of information that can be put to use.
Erin
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is scatterbrained, disjointed, and painful to read. There are a few nuggets of good information but unfortunately they are surrounded by rants. The author flits from one topic to the next with very little cohesion. I can't say I'm really surprised, since he mentions selling businesses within months of creating them and being broke multiple times. For those who are steadfast and considered in their lives, this book provides little value.
Robin M
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advice, favorites
What an amazing book.
It worked perfectly into my new mindset and it made me realise that it's not a bad thing that I'm having - as I recently called it - "too many ideas".

The chapter on Investing seemed a little too obviously frankensteined together from blog posts. But that's easily forgiven.

Highly recommended and I'll definitely go for other books of the author in the future!
Strings
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun easy read. Wish I would have read this when I was much younger. The author tells you not to follow his advice many times. However you would probably do your self a disservice if you didn’t. The author has lived a
Iife of extreme up and downs that most of us will never know, but we can learn from these experiences. A lot of simple advice that you can change your life for the better.
Julian Ajello
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book has lots of useful ideas and strategies and James has a quirky way of getting his points across. He also makes it easy and entertaining to get through what some could view as very dry or uninteresting subject material. I read it on a Kindle but ordered a physical copy to make notes and use it as a resource.
Habeeb Animashaun
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring read

It was inspiring in a way that made me believe that despite only an undergrad degree I can make my dreams come true. May be a bit naive though in how it portrays ease but will be trying.
Erik Olson
Jan 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Frankly, I didn’t get it. I bought the book off one of Altucher’s Instagram ads for the cost of shipping so thankfully I’m not out much money. I originally thought it was a wealth-building or -management guide but I was wrong (I think—like I said, I didn’t really get the point).
Paul N
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I like the author, he has an interesting podcast and does crazy experiments where he sold everything and lived out of AirBnB's and mooched off friends for a year. The book was a little lacking. Not enough detail for a business book. Has great ideas but not a lot of how to in my opinion.
Christopher Carter
Lived the idea machine.. lack of blue collar advice.

I love the idea machine premise, but would have loved a little shout out to blue collar workers and some advice to general population of shift work. Great ideas, and will out these into practice.
Nestor Sanchez
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Choose Yourself

So much insightful advice in a single book. Written in a manner that enables anybody to stick it to memory and follow. Recommend this book to all your friends, young adults, and anybody you care about. It's that important.
Melanie
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read full of great insight

I found James Altucher's system for becoming an idea machine fantastic and worth the read. The book was funny at times, entertaining most of the time, and full of great advise.
Walter Herrera
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great blend of humor, motivation and practical advice. It is entertaining. Some advice is good some not so much. Read it and make up your own mind. I found value in it. Hopefully you will too. Just don’t pay full price for it. ( I didn’t, and neither should you.)
Jason Van Lieu
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Motivating read...

This book is very good, but it certainly isn't for everyone. Not everyone wants the life James has created for himself, but everyone can find something helpful from reading this book.
Dan Meraki
Tiene buenas enseñanzas prácticas. Pero personalmente no me gusta tanto el estilo de Altucher.
Bradley
Aug 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-interested
I placed it in the recycling bin after finished, to ensure no one reads it.
Karlene Pitters
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great 👍

It gives me a different outlook on things. Happy that I read it...refreshing.
I usually follow my gut but not always...I will do it from now on.
Joe Sorge
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
liked this book far more than I expected that I would
Victoria
It wasn't quite what I was hoping but he had some solid advice in there and I would recommend it to someone wanting to start a business
  • The Execution Factor: The One Skill That Drives Success
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • Become An Idea Machine: Because Ideas Are The Currency Of The 21st Century
  • Jobs to be Done: Theory to Practice
  • Resilience: Facing Down Rejection and Criticism on the Road to Success
  • Let Me Out: Unlock Your Creative Mind and Bring Your Ideas to Life
  • Brilliant, Crazy, Cocky: How the Top 1% of Entrepreneurs Profit from Global Chaos
  • Leap First: Creating Work That Matters
  • Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It
  • A Social Strategy: How We Profit from Social Media
  • Human Accomplishment: The Pursuit of Excellence in the Arts and Sciences, 800 B.C. to 1950
  • Bourgeois Equality: How Ideas, Not Capital or Institutions, Enriched the World
  • Body of Work: Finding the Thread that Ties Your Career Together
  • The Rift: A New Africa Breaks Free
  • The Telephone Book: Technology, Schizophrenia, Electric Speech
  • The King of Madison Avenue: David Ogilvy and the Making of Modern Advertising
  • The Strength Switch: How the New Science of Strength-Based Parenting Can Help Your Child and Your Teen to Flourish
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
James Altucher is a writer, successful entrepreneur, chess master, and investor.

He has founded over 20 companies and sold some of them for large exits. He has also run venture capital funds, hedge funds, angel funds, and currently sits on the boards of many companies.

He has written and been profiled in most major national media publications like the Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, CNBC,
“I have lots of ideas. How do I pick the right one? Execute on as many as possible. The right idea will pick you.” 11 likes
“If you can’t walk away from a negotiation, then you aren’t negotiating. You’re just working out the terms of your slavery.” 7 likes