Start by marking “Stripped Expectations” as Want to Read:
Stripped Expectations

Stripped Expectations

Hunky Mark is unemployed, penniless and living off the help of his friends. His life orbits around sex encounters that leave him with a bitter aftertaste. He went from skinny tall guy to hunk in a few years, after promising himself not to let anyone beat him again. But Mark still struggles with his self-image because underneath all of his muscles he still feels like a clum ...more
Published March 11th 2015 by James Lee Hard

To ask other readers questions about Stripped Expectations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stripped Expectations

Baba
One star for the detachable dick. Review posted April 3, 2015

photo oie_mYs17swJHxK2_zpsvz5usmk1.gif

He unbuttoned his pants and took his dick off, slapping him on the guy's butt.

photo oie_eWY3rAWpzMAm_zpspe52uqog.gif

Poor guy. I hope this horrible trauma isn't incurable. Hmm…he actually kept a stiff upper lip (pun intended).

Stripped Expectations is a rather short read. Unfortunately it didn't evoke one iota of emotion from me except annoyance. The story reads like a stilted procedure. Once again the main protagonist is so damn gorgeous, handsome, beautiful or what-the-f
Sheila
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful debut novel! This book has me hungry for more sweet and sexy romance by James Lee Hard! If you're a fan of M/M romances, then this is for you. If you've never tried it before, now is the time. Stripped Expectations is the perfect first foray into M/M reading.
Mark is an extremely attractive man filled with insecurities on the inside. Being impossibly gorgeous isn't all it's cracked up to be. He's tired of other men only looking at his outward appearances instead of what's on the
Erin
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fun, frothy, and yet earthy too!

Here’s an enjoyable story, a slice of life about a gay man and his friends, and yet one which goes deeper than a g-string on a well-muscled butt.

Mark is a ruggedly handsome man who’s worked hard to become as buff as possible, a determined reaction to an early beating from a homophobe in high school. His friends Jason and Oliver are close, and all three of them seem to be searching for more than the casual sex they all indulge in almost as a way of life.

At first re
Alp Mortal
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why did I like this story?

It's fresh, moves at a reasonable pace and held my attention - I read it in one sitting - approx. 118 pages - (rare for me). It's a good story which is grounded.

James didn't deliver a one-hander which would have been far easier - the heat level fell between three and four flames (using All Romance eBooks scale).

I liked Mark - the main character - he was drawn pretty well. I was rooting for him to succeed.

I like the masculine style; it isn't fussy or overly sentimental.

W
Tope
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love it when a book makes me feel a gamut of emotions and this book was no exception. I had "awww" moments and moments where I wanted to bash someone's head in. This is my kind of book.

I loved Mark and how he went from such an insecure man to one who was proud of all he'd accomplished and could still accomplish. I also do love how, in the midst of all his insecurities, he was still able to step out of his comfort zones (yes zones).

His friends, Oliver and Jason, goodness gracious, were so love
B
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a over all good read, it was light and some angst .....what I don't like about this way of writing is that
I felt like this was a chick flick, not a MM romance..... It felt like I was reading a sex in the city story..... With all the "girls" not guys.
Klaire
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
3 stars

I don’t normally leave a review with a 3 star rating but there’s been much deliberation among reviewers about this and why authors feel a rating of 3 is not a good thing. A 3 star review is still a decent enough rating for a book in my opinion so have decided that from here on out no matter what my rating I will be reviewing.

This is James’ debut story and unfortunately it fell short of a really good read for a few reasons. M/M is among my favourite reads and I found that this just didn’t
Pam Kay
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For being James Lee Hard's debut novel, he has done an amazing job. The story line was strong, emotional, and full of love. The characters were well developed showing the bond of best friends and the love of a devoted boyfriend. Mark was going through a hard time financially, being unemployed, and his own self-esteem was waning. His close friends, Jason and Oliver, were there for Mark encouraging him every step of the way. Mark met a man, Scott, who was an owner of a male strip club, that though ...more
Anne
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome debut of this great new author!
The writing is easy so you are drawn into the flow of the story instantly. Once in the story and you've met the characters, you don't want to stop till you finished this great book.
The characters are lovely and you will nearly fall for them the moment you meet them, especially Mark. This big teddy bear, you just want to cuddle and hold him all day long and never let go. Big, muscular and very sexy and handsome on the outside, Mark still struggles wi
PT Summerson
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As some other people have pointed out, Stripped Expectations is an amazing and fantastic debut novel from James Lee Hard.

The pace of the story is always right, all the action and events that this narrative has are brought in perfect rhythm.

Even though that the readers aren't probably fit to strip, Mark is a relatable character, his feelings, insecurities and goals are so human that is very easy to feel empathy for.
And his friends are really funny and they kind of play the Devil vs Angel/God vs
Louise Lyons
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this, I thought it was a promising start for this author. I liked the storyline, and I quickly grew to like Mark, the MC. I liked that he had the support of two good friends. Mathew seemed nice, but I've liked to know more about him and his background. I would have liked to punch Thomas, but he clearly had issues he failed to deal with.

I do think the story would have benefited from a strong edit, as there were a few errors and it didn't flow smoothly in places, but overall I thought i
Lisa
Apr 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not sure what I read here, but in no way, shape or form was it the same book as the other reviewers...maybe mine got switched in the ether as it was winging its way to my kindle.....???

This is a short novella read and didn't move me in any way, apart from praying for a quick finish. I struggled with the MC's, the plot, the repetitiveness of some words.... "chuckle"...just stop it!!! Even the last cheesy quarter of the book failed to make my unicorn sparkle....

Sadly, no slap-happy here....
Nancy Hall
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Hot

Stioryline could have a little more explanation involving Thomas in the early years, but ends with romance and a happy ending.
Kathy Morris
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great debut

Stripped Expectations is James's debut book and what a book it is. Fantastic. I'm usually a little nervous about a new Author but James took away my nervousness. He wrote an excellent book.
Some highlights from Stripped.
You have Mark. Mark has insecurities, good looks, and a fantastic body. He's tired of other men only looking at his outward appearances instead of what's on the inside. Mark just wants to be loved for the person he is on the inside, not the outside.
Oliver and Jason are
Rachel Hendry
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Now I seem to be reading James Lee Hard's books back to front but after reading Becoming Jake I was pretty eager for more of his work.
This is a great debut novel full of great characters...Mark, a guy who has lost his job and struggling with his identity, and by that I don't mean his sexuality but the way he feels people perceive him and how he actually acts.
Mark with some quite humerous assistance from his pals, Jason & Oliver decides on a way to earn money which was pretty funny in the ear
Julie Kirby
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
That was a great quick, hot sexy read!

Just loved Oliver Jason and Mark such great friends.

In between jobs, Mark decided after debating about it, to get himself a job, as a stripper.

He goes along to have a look; well dragged there by his friends! but he eventually gives it a go. Not before an old blast from his past shows up, and tries to bully Mark into not taking the job.

At the same time as his new job, Mark also meets himself a new love interest, things are going swimmingly when Marks, love I
Ashlee Shades
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book! It was the perfect mix of heat and humor. The pacing was wonderful, JLH didn't waste time on useless info that normally clogs up the flow of a story.

The sex scenes were perfect, realistic, and enjoyable to read.

Mark, the main character, goes through a huge change in his esteem in this book and has an awesome support system in his friends, Jason and Oliver.

I don't write reviews with spoilers, so all I will say is that if you are a fan of gay erotica, books with great hu
Debbie Bookers
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story

What a great little love story. Love Mark and Matthew and am very happy for them. Loved the shy guy turned stripper and the boyfriend finding out. And of course the bully Thomas.

But what I loved best was the friendships with Jason and Oliver. Good solid friends are hard to find and these 3 really care and love one another. I loved their bantering, compassion and the their genuine love for one another.

Jason was my favorite and I hope we get to hear about his HEA and his princess
Terri Turner
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A really good debut novel; from James and as I love to read M/M I really enjoyed this book. A great story, with likeable characters, and good sex scene's that I personally think could have been more developed and longer , but apart from that i couldn't put it down. i shall look forward to more books from this author in the future
Carolyn Elias
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Totally enjoyable!

Loved the story of Mark! Although this was a short story, James Lee Hard was great in establishing Mark as in what his experiences were and how he defined his world. His friends were great and taught him not to make assumptions about people. OMG, the first time he stripped professionally had me doubled over in laughter! Very enjoyable!
Linda
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the idea that the author did not go all alpha with his characters, they were just 3 "gay" men finding/looking for love. I am a huge fan of the M/M genre & so far all the books I've read were your typical well built men not knowing their feelings or at least 1 hiding their "gay"ness. This story gave us 3 characters that did not hide who/what they were.
Suzanne
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
M/M romance from Kindle unlimited. Story of an out of work gay man who finally takes a stripper job with support from his friends. Mark finally meets someone special and is afraid to tell him about his job.
Jessica
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Average

I feel like I'm reading a different book to the rest of the reviewers. The writing is just awful - honestly it's like a 12 year old wrote it. And the storyline is poor and characters bland. I could barely bring myself to finish it.
Diane
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
So...

The premise is good.
The plot is good.
I really liked Mark, Mathew, Jason and Oliver.

The fainting scene was a little over the top.
The whole ending with Thomas felt a little contrived.

Loved the HEA's!
Nat
Jul 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m
Were the only ones rating this book his friends? I accidentally read another book of his, because I totally forgot about this travesty. It was worse than this, if possible.
Lisa
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sorry I don't know, it was very rushed and well..I just couldn't get into it.
Jillian MacLeod
Aug 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
The first chapter was one giant infodump, written in a style that doesn't appeal to me at all.
Chutchy
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
will love to read more from this authour
TJ_Arby
It was a shame that the writing was more like a summary of a novel than an actual novel, because the plot elements could have made for a really good story
Julie
Apr 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: James Lee Hard - New book 1 15 Mar 11, 2015 08:55AM
James spends most of his time looking at his computer screen, trying to summon the magical words that make the ingredients for a great story. He dreams about being able to move people and becoming a great writer one day.

He writes contemporary gay romance and erotica but he wants to write about much more. His mind is filled with sci-fi gadgets, swords, wizards and dragons and he has trouble trying