Start by marking “Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature” as Want to Read:
Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature

Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature

In a lead essay that powerfully states the broad argument of the book, William Cronon writes that the environmentalist goal of wilderness preservation is conceptually and politically wrongheaded. Among the ironies and entanglements resulting from this goal are the sale of nature in our malls through the Nature Company, and the disputes between working people and ...more
Published October 17th 1996 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Ground, please sign up.
Ian A few possibilities:
- Reinventing Nature?: Responses To Postmodern Deconstruction
- Nature's Economy

Also if you enter "Ecocriticism" into Amazon you'll…more
A few possibilities:
- Reinventing Nature?: Responses To Postmodern Deconstruction
- Nature's Economy

Also if you enter "Ecocriticism" into Amazon you'll turn up a lot of material similar to Uncommon Ground.(less)

Start your review of Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature
Alissa
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Thought-provoking set of essays by great thinkers, including William Cronon as the editor. Cronon was writing and innovating in American environmental history before folks like Jared Diamond entered the scene and (in my opinion) repackaged some of the thinking of writers like Cronon and Crosby in a way that reached the masses. But Cronon was trying to reinsert the environment in our understanding of history long before it was a popular theme -- he was booed off of academic stages before his ...more
Sean
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature
Collection of great essays on "nature" by folks representing a diverse array of disciplines: plant biology, history, landscape architecture, culture and communications, feminist theory, literature, geography, etc. The "nature" the essayists address includes everything from the well-managed tourist-oriented wilderness (e.g., Yosemite, Mt. Rushmore); commercial nature (The Nature Company); landscape architecture (Frederick Law Olmsted); Amazonia; the very pricey real estate along the cliffs of ...more
David Bates
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In 1995 Cronon edited a collected series of essays published under the title Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature, which strongly criticized the Environmental Movement for aspects of its worldview drawn from a misplaced emphasis on Nature as something set apart from society. “The work of literary scholars, anthropologists, cultural historians, and critical theorists over the past several decades has yielded abundant evidence,” Cronon noted, “that ‘nature’ is not nearly so ...more
Anjuli
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Nature lovers and historians.
Recommended to Anjuli by: Reiko Hillyer
Cronon promotes a nuanced understanding of historical environmentalism and how it has influenced the movement today. After reading this book, I felt less guilty as a human in nature and ready to redefine my place as part of an ecosystem.
Terrie
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a collection of essays and some of them were really good and others were absolutely dull. Some of the information was a bit dated but overall the book made me rethink my opinions on the environmental movement.
Rhys
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting collection of essays exploring the boundaries of nature.
Ian
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-my-mfa
"The Trouble with Wilderness"
Brad Austin
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Overall, I liked the book and the concept behind it. Some of the essays were a real struggle to get through because of the author's discipline. I wonder if the book is somewhat dated, which still adds to its value for historiography. It would be a good book for class.
Luke Coffey
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was extremely excited to start this book and after reading Cronon's contributions, even more so. However, it didn't fulfill my expectations. Some of the articles are now dated and some irrelevant. And in some the naïveté of agenda was too blatant and overshadowing of the original purpose. There are a handful that are certainly worth reading. My suggestion is to check out of the local library and pick and choose the articles best suited to your interest.
Pierre
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Environmentalists
A series of essays that provide a well rounded assessment of how humans interact with nature. Environmentalists often perceive their view of nature and "preservation" as morally superior to other uses and needs that we rely upon from Mother Nature. One particular essay, titled, "Are you and environmentalist or do you work for a living" gets at the crux of this issue of how we can sustainably grow and develop societally and enhance our valuation and care for our environment.
Erin
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
The first third of this book excited me with poignant questions and observations. The middle third fell flat and the last third was an absolute struggle to get through. The first third is entirely worth it though and just pick those essays you want to read from the rest. Nature continues to be more culture than we acknowledge or discuss even though almost two decades have passed since this book was complied.
Dustin
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Really good book, full of fascinating stuff. The essay about Simulation alone will blow your mind, and once you throw in all the other stuff, you're going to be sucking up your brain drippings with a wet-vac. But, seriously, this book lays down an expansive challenge to what we think of as "natural" and how we consider our "stewardship" of the planet.
Jennifer DeJonghe
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Some good essays about rethinking our views on wilderness and what constitutes as "natural". Some of the essays were better than others - Cronon's piece was particularly good and has influenced a lot of subsequent writings about nature.
John Vanek
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Four stars for the totality of the essays--many are very good, a few are ok. Cronon's introduction alone is worth the fifth star. It's absolutely necessary reading for anyone who wants to think about his/her own place in the natural world.
Burgersub
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Generally interesting geography/environmentalist essays. Not as impenetrably philosophical as the other book I had to read for this class, "Human Geography: an Essential Anthology."
Doina
Sep 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-for-thought
a collection of essays looking at nature and the role of humanity in today's world as well as historical and cultural relationships between man and nature.
Susan
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A powerful book.
Jen
Dec 01, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anth-soc, landscapes
GE195 .U53 1995, SSAH
Christy
I rated and reviewed this book on LibraryThing:

Melissa
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
A collection of essays resulting from a special sponsored project by UC-Irvine bringing together thinkers from different disciplines working to get at the meaning of "nature" in American life.
Molly
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and VERY dense.
Alma
Jan 14, 2019
Navpreet Singh
Jul 17, 2012

• Wilderness and the American Mind
  • Ecological Imperialism: The Biological Expansion of Europe, 900-1900 (Studies in Environment and History)
  • The Ecological Indian: Myth and History
  • The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative
  • Creatures of Empire: How Domestic Animals Transformed Early America
  • Crusading Spirituality In The Holy Land And Iberia, C.1095 C.1187
  • Silent Spring
William "Bill" Cronon is a noted environmental historian, and the Frederick Jackson Turner and Vilas Research Professor of History, Geography, and Environmental Studies at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. He was president of the American Historical Association (AHA) in 2012.