Start by marking “Spirit Hunters” as Want to Read:
Spirit Hunters

Spirit Hunters

(Spirit Hunters #1)

We Need Diverse Books founder Ellen Oh returns with Spirit Hunters, a high-stakes middle grade mystery series about Harper Raine, the new seventh grader in town who must face down the dangerous ghosts haunting her younger brother. A riveting ghost story and captivating adventure, this tale will have you guessing at every turn!

Harper doesn’t trust her new home from the
Published July 25th 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Spirit Hunters, please sign up.

Start your review of Spirit Hunters
Adriyanna Zimmermann
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not sure why there's all these "too childish" 2/3 star reviews. This is middle grade which means the target audience is 9-12 (in most cases). It is meant for children. When reviewing MG you need to be thinking from the perspective of the target audience, not yourself (assuming reviewer =/= target audience).

I know Oh's first series was YA so some of her YA readers may be picking up this new book (being a fan of the author), but please remember this is middle-grade, not YA or adult. If
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Wayyyy too scary for me!
Mir
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger, ghosts
All the elements here were pretty familiar, especially the Michael/Billy plot, and the most original bit with the long-dead Grady wasn't elaborated enough. That aside, the writing and characters were solid and it was a very enjoyable read. I think this would be excellent for a kid or even adult who hadn't already read a lot in this genre, and I'm certainly open to try something else by this author.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Very middle-of-the-road middle grade fiction. Not the book's fault, this genre is just not for me.

The writing style of this kind of annoyed me. I sort of expected "a bit childish" which I'd consider fine for an MG novel, but the “she felt angry” kind of style started to annoy me pretty quickly.

The only new or original thing offered here is the Asian lead characters and general diversity, which I did appreciate. 20/10 excellent for middle grade readers.
Alex  Baugh
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s early summer and Harper Raine, 12, isn’t very happy about the family’s move to Washington, DC. Older sister Kelly thinks the move is all Harper’s fault because of starting a fire at school and then having a terrible accident at Briarly, a psychiatric hospital, that left her with both arms broken and two broken ribs. Harper, however, has absolutely no memory of either event

The new house is unbearably hot because of broken air conditioning, except for 4 year-old MIchael’s room, wh
Book Riot Community
Harper Raine has a bad feeling about her family’s new home the moment she steps inside. Then she hears the rumors about the house. And to top things off, her little brother begins acting strangely. Now Harper is spending seventh grade seeking answers to the spirits she senses and trying to figure out a way to save her brother before it’s too late. This is a fun debut to a new middle grade series!

Backlist bump: The Children of Green Knowe by L.M. Boston

Tune in to our
Dayla
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't get over the fact that this is a middle grade book. This was so creepy!! I loved the Korean spiritual references and how the haunting was described.

I do wish the parents were more aware of the haunting so that the protagonist could have a moment of "I told you so", but other than that, this was a fun and creepy read!

Happy reading!
Alex (Hey Little Thrifter)

Twelve-year-old Harper and her family move into an old house...it turns out to be haunted and only Harper can save the day.

I enjoyed the characters and the supernatural elements, and I really liked the inclusion of different cultures. Unfortunately I felt like the story got a bit convoluted at times and maybe the author was trying to get too many ideas into the story rather than streamlining it and focusing on a few elements rather than several. It was still a ch
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Review originally published 26 June 2018 at Falling Letters.

Spirit Hunters, the first book in an upcoming series, is a classic haunted house tale with a Korean-American perspective. (This book is #ownvoices for Korean-American representation.) Harper’s family has just moved from an air conditioned apartment in New York to a stuffy old house in Washington D.C. Harper knows the move has something to do with a fire at school and a serious accident that put her in hospital, but she has no memories of the incident./>Spirit
Darinda
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Harper and her family have moved to Washington, D.C., and Harper hates their new place. Something is just not right about it. Harper learns her home is supposedly haunted, and starts to have a feeling of déjà vu. As Harper's feeling of unease increase, so does the erratic behavior of her younger brother. Harper is missing some memories, and slowly, some start to return to her as she focuses on helping her brother.

A middle grade ghost story. Fun, spooky, and entertaining. Great for fans of ghost
Mehsi
A creepy, haunting middle-grade book, the first in a series, and I definitely want more books.

This one lays the perfect foundation for a whole lot of creepy, spooky stories. I am always on the lookout for new horror/ghost stories, especially in the middle-grade/childrens range. Often those books avoid the scariness or weaken it as the story goes on. But not this one.

Oh no, I was definitely creeped out many times, and even NOPE NOPE NOPEd quite a few times (dang that
Ms. Yingling
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Harper's family moves from New York City to Washington, D.C. and end up in a decrepit old house. Harper has had problems at school-- she was accused of setting fire to the art room, and was hospitalized for some time, but she doesn't remember any of it. She notices that her four-year-old brother Michael's room feels oddly clammy, and he claims to have a "new friend" named Billy who tells him things that cause him to have headaches. Harper does m
Lisa
Feb 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-kid-in-me
Disappointing and soulless due to lack of imagination and editorial guidance - expect Disney to option for a series based on the diverse subject matter (ghost-hunting Korean kiddies) because this "book" reads like a teleplay. No flow between choppy action sentences and dialogue exposition. No character descriptions, background info (hey why is your lead named Harper? Inspired by Harper Lee, or musical harp?) A tradition-shying mom (Yuna) names her kids Kelly, Harper and Michael while alienating ...more
Cat  (cat-thecatlady)
this was a fun read.
I like the scary aspect, although it was a bit predictable and too scary. but the writing was a bit off for me, reading as too childish or too adult at times. still need to gather my thoughts better on this one.

full review here: https://catshelf.wordpress.com/2017/0...
Shenwei
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got the creeps reading this 😱😱😱. but on top of the ghost story there's also a story of family, friendship, and a girl coming into herself and her potential.
Amber J
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1o years old and up
Cute

As always my reviews are based off of my opinion only. I do try to keep any spoilers hidden in spoiler tags and whether I enjoy a book or not I would not wish to discourage anyone from reading a book they think interesting. Our differences are what keeps things interesting.

So I read this book to my daughter and I have to say. I would not recommend this book for children under the age of 10. It had some very gory type scenes and it even swore once. The story itself was some what spooky b
Devann
A solid little middle grade horror story, but not one that I think translates well to adult readers. I'm sure it would be very enjoyable to the target audience and especially to Korean-American kids who want to see protagonists that are like them, but it was definitely a bit simplistic for me. Oh well, reading middle grade books as an adult is a bit hit-or-miss and I accept that I am not the target audience here. I don't think I will be reading the second one, but it was still a cute story.
Hafsa Sabira
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am confused about what I feel about this book. Reading it was like going through an emotional rollercoaster where I wanted to buy it or throw it away in the trashcan. To be honest, it's a pointless novel. I think even the novelist was confused about what to write.

I am just glad that I finished it after promising myself a treat of hot coffee.
Brandy Painter
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
This is a creepy ghost story. Really creepy in some places. It is a perfect book to have on hand for kids who enjoy the scary kind of ghost stories and want to read about kids battling ghosts. It is well written with excellent world building and fully rounded characters. It is a hard book to put down. (I was forced to put it down for a little while and couldn't wait to get back to it.) The pacing and the plotting keep the reader engrossed until the very end. Also it's a sibling story so it gets ...more
Dee Dee G
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected. That was intense and fantastic lol.
The Reading Countess
Abby Johnson
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a little bit of a horror wimp, but this book was too scary for me to read at night when my husband wasn't home..!

Harper and her family have just moved into a historic house in Washington DC and Harper hates it. But she's pretty crabby all the time these days. Ever since the accident with the fire at her school that caused her to lose some memories of that time in her life, Harper hasn't felt quite right. There's something else not quite right with this house.

Her little brother Michael seem
Ms. B
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction, 2019, ghost
There are stories with ghosts and spirits that want to befriend you. Sometimes because they are evil and sometimes because they're good. But this book ups the game; (view spoiler)
There's something creepy about the old house that Harper and her family move into in Washington DC. (view spoiler) ...more
Amber K.
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so CREEPY!!! I could NOT put it down and had to know what happens. You will devour this book!
Amy Cesari
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kids doing exorcisms and mystical grandmas? Yay! ✨🕯👌🏻
Dakota★Magic in Every Book
This book was an absurd amount of fun. Creepy and interesting with a great cast of characters. This is exactly the type of book I loved when I was a kid.
Krysti
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SPIRIT HUNTERS is unbelievably creepy and hauntingly gorgeous at the same time. Ellen Oh sets a high standard for middle grade literature, and I can’t wait to continue the series.
Riley Smith
Brenda
Opening Line: "Harper! Come quick!"

Spirit Hunters was a lot creepier than I thought it was going to be, which made it a wonderful story for me cause I love creepy scary things. There are multiple incidents of Harper being injured by the presence in the house, and her younger brother Michael being taken over by a supernatural presence, yeah just creepy. I did really like the diversity and the touching and realistic relationship between the siblings. I did wish that more had been writt
Anna
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm going to say more like 3.5 stars on this one. I really enjoyed it, but I don't see myself re-reading it in the future. Also, being middle grade it reads young and I could see all the twists coming a mile away. Still very engaging, something I read in one sitting. I'd mostly recommend for ages 9 to 14. I think that'd be the perfect age group for this one.

• The Harlem Charade
  • Wedgie & Gizmo
  • Stef Soto, Taco Queen
  • Garvey's Choice
  • Cilla Lee-Jenkins: Future Author Extraordinaire
  • Spirit Week Showdown (The Magnificent Mya Tibbs, #1)
  • Sergeant Reckless: The True Story of the Little Horse Who Became a Hero
  • Slider
  • Little Cat's Luck
  • Big & Little Questions (According to Wren Jo Byrd)
  • The Bicycle Spy
  • The Creature of the Pines (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #1)
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • Step Right Up: How Doc and Jim Key Taught the World about Kindness
  • A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting (Babysitter's Guide to Monsters, #1)
  • The Trail
  • The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora
  • Follow the Moon Home: A Tale of One Idea, Twenty Kids, and a Hundred Sea Turtles (Children's Story Books, Sea Turtle Gifts, Moon Books for Kids, Children's Environment Books, Kid's Turtle Books)
Thanks for checking out my author page! I'm no longer checking notifications here on Goodreads but you are welcome to contact me on twitter or my blog and you can find a detailed bio here.

For more information please visit my website at ellenoh.com

Spirit Hunters (2 books)
  • The Island of Monsters (Spirit Hunters #2)
“Your mother always liked to tell people she was from Washington D.C., but technically she is a Marylander.” 0 likes