Start by marking “Die for You” as Want to Read:
Die for You

Die for You

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Theirs was the perfect love story.

After Emma Lorde’s parents’ divorce forces her to move halfway across the state of Arizona to live with her father, Emma must face her senior year in a new school knowing absolutely no one.

Then she meets Dillon Hobbs, and something just clicks.

Dillon introduces Emma to friends she can call her own. He provides a refuge from the chaos of h
Published November 8th 2016 by Delacorte

To ask other readers questions about Die for You, please sign up.

Liza Wiemer
Add this to your TBR list!
Profound, painful, powerful. DIE FOR YOU is hard to put down.

Readers will get sucked into the lives of Dylan and Emma and watch what appears to be a beautiful relationship spiral out of control. Amy Fellner Dominy creates a story that could be going on at any high school. Yes, with different circumstances, but we've seen the headlines—teens so wrapped up in each other that one or both would be willing to die to keep the other or to make sure they stay together. Foreve
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I picked up at ALA Annual 2016.
Diversity Rating: 1 – Tokenism
Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 0
Disability: 1 (Dillon has mental issues the author says are purposefully left unspecified)
Intersectionality: 0

Though I can’t pinpoint exactly what made Die for You work for me where other dating abuse-focused YA novels like The Girl Who Fell and Bitter End failed, one detail makes it stick out: Emma and Dillon’s relationship is already established wh
Jessica
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't been reading a lot of YA lately, but this one definitely caught my eye. The cover is so pretty and it sounded like an emotional read that I wouldn't forget.

When both of their lives were crashing down, Dillon and Emma found strength and comfort from each other. They fell in love deeply and quickly and have spent the past year falling even more in love. They know that once they graduate high school, they'll both go to ASU, live in the same dorms, and stay madly in love. But when Emma is
Terry Johnson
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Was lucky to read an early version of this book and I LOVED IT!
Writing clever banter is one of Amy Fellner Dominy's strengths, along with getting to the heart of relationships. But the best part of this story, is how Dominy shows the deceptively innocent way one can find themselves in a bad situation. Love the writing, love the message. I can't wait to read it again when it comes out, and have everyone else meet these characters!
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a powerfully realistic story about love, abuse, and mental illness. I was immediately hooked and could not put it down.
Trisha
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
"How can love be bad?"

This is a very tough but very good story. One that should be told, even if it's hard to look at. It's a great example of how love can turn and how what you thought was romantic can actually twist and turn and change on you.

In the blink of an eye.

The only thing I didn't like is the blame that was passed down at the end. But I loved the help information at the end.
Nicole Hewitt
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Every teenage girl should read this book. Or maybe just every teenager. Sometimes love isn’t enough to overcome the negative aspects of a relationship. Sometimes you have to put yourself first, even when it’s hard, even when it’s painful, even when it hurts someone you love. Even when it hurts you. This is the story of a girl who slowly learns that she can’t sacrifice herself—her own identity—for the sake of someone el
Gae Polisner
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am a writer myself and a friend of Amy's -- which I became first and foremost because I am a fan of her writing and her books. I just finished DIE FOR YOU (the galley copy), out 11/8, and I'm really without words.

I think this book is an incredibly powerful, important, timely read for today's teens. Disturbing and page-turning, brutal and ultimately hopeful (with a few moments of wonderful, smart comic relief), it examines when love is no longer love but rather abuse, and how women and girls h
Melissa Wehunt
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ummm, ok. Sadly, most of my fury is directed towards the many people who review this book. Did you just go by what it said in the description? "There's was an epic love..." (it doesn't actually say that..). But really, a perfect relationship that devolves into chaos? What are you talking about? The first chapter has the dude manipulating the girl. Its ridiculous! There was no character and relationship building. The author just dove right in with the effed up relationship. Ugh. I'm sorry. I coul ...more
Carleen Hyatte
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Format: Ebook
Thoughts: this was hard to put down. I was reading reviews of this on here, and it looked really great from the synopsis. The characters are interesting in every aspect I can tell you. This is a really fast read, and when ever I wasn't reading it I wanted to read it. Captivating to get through, it will have you on the edge of your seat till the end.
Jillian Heise
I really like Amy's easy to read writing style. As much as I wanted to shake the main character in this book, I can also see how teens I know would make the same choices she did. I could see my students who like relationship drama books wanting to read this, and liking it.
Maggie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is scary. Because it's real. It starts out as a love story. Like it's going to be a happily ever after maybe. I didn't know what the story would tell me. But the story of Emma and Dillon is so important. It's raw, painful, and not romantic... it's just reality. It's a reality more people need to face so they can be aware sometimes love can be toxic. This book scared me because of how dark it becomes. But it's the best kind of love story... loving yourself. I would definitely read more ...more
Maggie Carr
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
"We only see once it's too late. But I know now that he's wrong. We do see. We see every damn sign along the way. We chose not to pay attention."

"What do you want?"

Raw with mental illness, this book hits close to home. Someone close to me is in this relationship, each decision weighed and measured against tipping the scale too far. It's not romantic. It's debilitating. It's exhausting. It's infuriating looking from the outside in.
Spokhette (NerdetteAtLarge)
whoo, a truck full of crazy!

I liked this novel. it hit me like a ton of bricks. it made me think about relationships and love and sacrifice and how sometimes they go hand in hand.
Emma is having a hard time. Her parents are splitting up and so is their family. shes had to move away from home to take care of her father who isnt coping well.
she meets dillion who is perfect. they are perfect. they fit together like a puzzle until one day they arent so perfect. this story follows along a path of
Amy's Book Reviews
Grade: B+

What is love? How much must we give? How do we know when to stop? What do we do when the little voice inside our heads warns of danger? Do we listen, or heed the pressures of others?

Emma life turned upside down after her parents divorced and she moved across town to live with her alcoholic father. But Dillon makes everything better. Until he doesn't.

Amy Dominy did a great job creating a main character with sense and inner strength, who still falls prey to a troubled boyfriend. For all
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Dominy, Amy Fellner Die for You, 283 pgs. Delacorte Press (Random House), 2016. Language – PG13 (44 swears, 2 “f”), Mature Content – PG13; Violence – PG;

Kelly Hager
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Amy Dominy's and I have been since I read OyMG. This is her fourth novel (and second for young adults) and I cannot even tell you how big of a departure this is for her novels. She's always had an incredible amount of talent, but this is a whole other level.

I mean, think about it: odds are a book like this would be incredibly fun but campy. Right? Kind of ridiculous? Like, say, Swimfan?

Nope.

I immediately loved Emma, and I could see that Dillon showed creeper potential, but it
Nathalie
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in five hours. I just could not put it down! I needed to watch Emma and Dillon's relationship unfold, and I needed to find out what choice she made. The topic, dysfunctional love, is incredibly relevant...especially to the teenagers I teach on a daily basis.
Debbie
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed reading Die for You! I thought it was well written and easy to follow. The writer did and excellent job of developing the characters into people I felt I got to know! I found the book entertaining, suspenseful and thought provoking.
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Fabulous book! My review to follow soon!
Mis24
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
Tiffany Giovino
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book did some damage to my heart. I didn't realize how depressing this book was going to be. I honestly didn't really read the synopsis before I picked up this book. I bought it sometime last year because I really liked the cover. I added it to my TBR list for September and I'm so glad I did.

Die For You follows Emma, a very intelligent senior who just moved with her dad to a new town. New town means new school and new friends. Lucky for Emma, before the move she runs into Dillon and Jace. T
Carro Herdegen
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language – PG13 (44 swears, 2 “f”), Mature Content – PG13; Violence – PG; Emma and Dillon are eighteen and in love. Life would have been very different if Emma hadn’t moved across town and changed schools, but now Emma can’t imagine life without Dillon. As graduation approaches, new opportunities arise and have to be weighed against each other. The most daunting question is, how much does one sacrifice—or can one’s partner ask to be sacrificed—for love?
Emma’s story and her situations are so real
Elaine Margarette
That was . . . quite an intense and chilling account of an unhealthy relationship — how to deal with it or, how to get out of it.

The book started with the storytelling of how perfect Emma and Dillon's relationship was. I have to admit, I actually thought they were cute and, well, perfect for each other. But when a big opportunity arrived for Emma, things about their relationship started to change. And not in the usual way. I loved the bits and pieces of those "changes" on Dillon's part, so much
Kelly Sierra
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, arc
I liked this story because when you are in the eye of the storm you can't see what's really going on around you. This perfectly describes Emma. Dillion is not okay not once did I think that his behavior abruptly changed, especially when Emma's old friends accuse her of cutting them out of her life. I didn't like many things that played out, but how are you supposed to like dating violence? Also, wtf was up with that guys mom. "My son is different; Other boys would be happy to let you follow your ...more
Tammy
Teenage love gone wrong. Dillon needs lots of help. He uses the fear of hurting himself as a weapon to keep his girlfriend Emma from leaving him. Poor Emma doesn't have a lot of understanding people around. Most messed up is Dillon's mom and his friend Hannah. Their interactions with Emma are horrible. Anytime someone in a relationship wants to change you to fit their agenda, RUN.
Josephine Lee
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
You would think that this storyline would be unrealistic, but it happens a lot more than you think. A lot of people wish they had a boyfriend like him, who loved her more than anything, but that more than proves to be grateful for what you have.
Abbie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry I didn't like any of the characters. Dillon was a psycho, though it was never really specified what his diagnosis was.
KayLee
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Different take on relationship mental abuse/self-harm/dysfunctional relationships.
Diana-christie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
The writing is not for me. It seems like the story is about a reincarnating love. Usually I like those but this writing is too boring.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Hi! I'm the author of books for teens, tweens and toddlers. Out now is a YA adventure-thriller-roadtrip-romance: THE FALL OF GRACE. I'm also the co-author of the Disney-Hyperion picture book series COOKIESAURUS REX. Book one is out now, and COOKIESAURUS CHRISTMAS is coming Sept 2018.

I live and sweat in Phoenix, Arizona with my hubby and a new puppy who is training us.

Find me online: www.amydominy
More about Amy Fellner Dominy

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“It feels like the only thing holding me up this past week has been worry.” 1 likes
“I have no idea what that means. But it's weird and I like it.” 1 likes