Start by marking “#famous” as Want to Read:
#famous

#famous

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  2,091 Ratings  ·  453 Reviews
In this modern-day love story, Girl likes Boy, Girl takes photo of Boy and posts it online, Boy becomes accidentally insta-famous. And what starts out as an innocent joke spirals into a whirlwind adventure that could change both their lives—and their hearts—forever. But are fame and love worth the price?

Told in alternating points of view, #famous captures the out-of-contro
Published February 14th 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about #famous, please sign up.

Jilly Gagnon
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
I MIGHT be biased, but this is absolutely my favorite YA debut I have EVER written.

I mean, I finished not only paragraphs and chapters, but whole PAGES of writing. Hundreds of them! I, for one, am pretty impressed with myself.

Also, there are lots of cupcakes, french fries, and bowling in it, three of the best things.

Cait • A Page with a View
This is basically the story of Alex from Target except it includes the POV of the girl who tweeted a picture of him working and caused his overnight fame. It all unfolds pretty much the same way, except twitter is changed to "flit," the Ellen Show with Grumpy Cat is now the Laura Show with Melodramatic Husky (and the talk show stuff gets dragged out a bit more than it did in real life).

The plot had potential to be cute and I liked both characters, but it just wasn't fun to read because the endl
Joshua Gabriel (조수아)
You know exactly what you want. Exactly who you are. You don't care what anyone thinks about you. —Kyle

I was so excited to get my hands on this book when it came out. I literally hunted for it in my local bookstores. The catalyst behind my excitement was most likely the cute cover. Plus, I was in the mood for a fluffy yet meaningful YA contemporary.

#famous primarily explores how love can blossom in a typical high school setting wherein popularity is everything that matters. Unsurprisingly, the m
abby
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a smart romantic comedy that explores the consequences that come with social media instafame.

When Rachel sneaks a picture of her crush, Kyle, while he's working his shift at the Burger Barn, she doesn't think anything of uploading it to social media. She only has a handful of followers and only expects her best friend, Mo, to see it.

Everyone sees it. Kyle becomes an instant sensation, the new heartthrob catching the eye of phone-addicted young ladies across the country. While Kyle revels

“@Mo_than_you_know I’m digging what they’re serving up at Burger Barn today. #idlikefrieswithTHAT”

This was a YA contemporary romance story, about a girl who accidentally made a boy famous on social media.

Rachel and Kyle were both okay characters, and I felt really sorry for Rachel when people were so mean to her after the photograph she took became popular. The online bullying was just awful, and it see
Kate (GirlReading)
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5* This was essentially a novelisation of the 'Alex from Target' story but it was a cute little contemporary nonetheless.

I enjoyed the main two characters and reading from their perspectives. Rachel was a fun, witty character, who's humour I really enjoyed. I also liked the fact that she wasn't your classic, cookie cutter protagonist but I would have appreciated it a lot more, had it not been one of her main defining characteristics. It would have been nice to have had a curvy main character,
Anna Priemaza
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Okay, this book is completely adorkable. The main characters, Rachel and Kyle, are ridiculously loveable, their banter is hilarious, and I spent a huge portion of the book like this:

Though I also spent some of it like this:

#famous is an extremely fast read--both because the writing is just so smooth and the story so fast-paced, and because it's extremely addictive and practically impossible to put down once you start!

Stretch your face muscles before you read this one, because you'll spend a huge
rachel • typed truths
• A sweet story with a unique premise but it lacked heart
• The writing style was a tad too simplistic
• I liked Rachel, the protagonist, and that Gagnon gave her authentic teen voice
• The plus-sized rep. was also fantastic; it is always heart-warming to see body positivity in ya
• I was less of a Kyle fan
• His voice was incredibly bland and I... well, I honestly just disliked him on every level.
• He thought he was funny and a ‘nice guy’ but said and did things that were more dickheaded than he re
Chelsea Sedoti
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to slip into Kyle-speak for a second here.

This book: awesome.

Or maybe I should be more Rachel-esque and make a #FAMOUS pros and cons list.

Pro: Everything.

Con: Nothing.

This book was absolutely hilarious. I was laughing out loud from the very first page. How could I not, with gems like this:

Usually her style tended toward neutral-colored sacks, but if she really wanted to dress like a vampire, I wasn’t going to tell her no. Besides, it’s kind of awesome when parents try to be cool, l
Scrill
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, romance, ya

"Besides, who cares about people so devastatingly shallow that they spend their free time trolling strangers over the internet? Or mean-girl stunts so cliché I wouldn’t even put them in a play? I’d never cared what people thought of me before, why start now?”

“Emma was pissed, Rachel was getting attacked, and Ollie thought I was a tool. Being famous was supposed to be fun. Or at least less stressful.”

Guys this book! The feels! The relatableness (not talking about the fame). The LOL’s! I am pret
Chelsea
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, read-in-2017
So the ending resolved everything wayyyyyyyyyyy to quickly. Poor Rachel got bullied way too much, and Kyle was definitely King of the derps, but it was a fun read and I did enjoy getting to meet these characters and go on this journey with them.
Meli
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
¡Me encantó!
Una lectura bien de verano, amena, SÚPER DIVERTIDA y romanticona pero no cursi, sino que de una forma entretenida, natural y muy torpe y tierna.
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

Debut author Jilly Gagnon's young adult novel is a teen romance with a modern flair. Told in alternating perspectives, Kyle and Rachel's story is the result of what happens in the age of viral videos and photos mixes with teenage crushes. While the premise was cute, the writing quality and the characterization was not up to snuff and I wanted more depth and eloquence.

Rachel has had a crush on Kyle for quite a long time. When she surreptitiously snaps a picture of him while he was work and posts
Cale Dietrich
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just found my new favourite romantic comedy.

According to Google, there are five things a romantic comedy needs, so I thought I’d test this book against those categories.

1) Chemistry: This book has this in SPADES. Even better: both sides of this romantic pairing get their own POV, so we get to witness their chemistry FROM BOTH POINTS OF VIEW!! Which is the best thing to read ever, as their feelings for each other develop in different ways, which is so fun to read.

2) Expand the genre/tweak the f
Carlie Sorosiak
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A summary of my reactions to #famous:

photo giphy 31_zps7ns7nhmp.gif

photo giphy 32_zpsxz7gswcc.gif

photo giphy 33_zpswqkohoib.gif

I honestly believe that readers who appreciate Rainbow Rowell and Stephanie Perkins would be hard-pressed not to love #famous, and here’s why:

Rachel and Kyle are equally adorable yet distinct people. It’s incredibly difficult to write dual POV that feels nuanced, but the MCs in #famous both have such vibrant personalities. I fell in love with them both in totally separate ways. Plus, they are super relatable. I swear, half that things that happened to Rach
Bee {Quite the Novel Idea}
Quite The Novel Idea ~ Words from the Clouds

Well I am a giant puddle of disappointment over here. On one hand, I could have expected it?? But on the other hand, also not?? Because there was a lot of potential here and it could've been supercute and adorable. And it was a tiny bit? But it was also predictable in a bad way? So now I am sad because I wanted fluff and cute but I didn't get it and I feel like sulking. But I suppose I should tell you why I am so grumpy right now.

So while this book was
Meisa
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was pure fluff. It was adorable to watch these two awkward characters grow. It did a great job handling the effects of social media and cyber bullying. Overall, it was an entertaining read.
Sara
Oh, this book made me really happy. Loved Kyle and Rachel's story... and especially loved that it takes place in Minnesota.

#MinnesotaProud
#ApplePrairieRocks
#idlikefrieswithTHAT
Kayla
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This was very cute and quick paced but definitely not my contemporary favrouite book ever.
Megan Morris
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(SPOILERS AHEAD):

I know what you're probably thinking: It took me way too long to read a contemporary, fast read. But let me just say that this book gave me so many emotions that I could only process them a little at a time. I won't go into the synopsis, mostly because it can not only be found by clicking the link above, but those who are reading this have likely already read this themselves.

I want to start off by saying that this book gave an interesting twist, at least for me. Not only had I
Deniz
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-17
3.5Stars.

#famous is your classic cute & fluffy with every wonderful romcom cliche thrown in and I happily gobbled it all up.

Two reasons for this:
1. I love the writing style.
2. The character building was done really well.
Now, we all know if those two things are in place, I will forgive shortcomings of any kind.
The good news there aren't many. It's fluffy and there isn't a lot of substance to it somehow. But that's it and frankly I enjoy a swoony cute story even if it doesn't throw loads
Bree Barton
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMFG. Those are the best words I have for this book, and they're not even words. OMFG.

When you are already snort-laughing 10 pages into a novel, I'd say it's a very good sign that the novel is goddamn funny. And #famous did not disappoint. I devoured it in a day, it was that tasty. This book is charming and brilliant and hilarious—JESUS FUCK, it's hilarious—but it's also tender, touching, and sweet. It's a ten-course meal of #AllTheThings, both sweet and salty, giggles and tears and a million sc
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars

#famous is a YA contemporary. It is a standalone.

The story takes place in Apple Prairie Minnesota. The book alternates chapters between Rachel (who is a junior in high school) and Kyle (who is an 18 year old senior in high school).

The premise of this story is very similar to the story of Alex from Target (he became an overnight sensation when his picture was retweeted).

Rachel is best friends with Monique/Mo. They play this funny game with each other on flit (which seems sort of like a
KT
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored and devoured this book! #famous is everything I want in a rom-com: funny, dual POV, plenty of romantic tension, and protagonists you can't help but root for. Gagnon gets into both characters' heads so effortlessly that I rarely needed to know whose head I was in--the writing styles just felt unique to Rachel and Kyle. And speaking of Rachel and Kyle, the author does an amazing job showing why they're so right for each other and I was positively squealing at least a dozen time ...more
Caroline
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, 2017-debuts
I was so thrilled to get to read an advanced copy of #famous because I had already laughed my way through Jilly Gagnon’s adult book, CHOOSE YOUR OWN MISERY: THE OFFICE ADVENTURE.

So I knew it would be #funny, but what I did not expect was to be #angry or end up in #tears (okay, enough with the hashtags!). Gagnon used every bit of her comic brilliance to fill this book with scenes to make you laugh out loud on a bus, as well as loads of cracking one-liners like I wish I could think of when I need
falling asleep reading
3.5 stars.

Incase you couldn't tell from the synopsis, this book is based on the Alex from Target meme. Instead of Alex from Target here we have Kyle from Burger Barn. Rachel takes a photo of him while he's working and posts it on Flit (Twitter). Kyle becomes a celebrity overnight and even gets flown out to LA to make an appearance on the Laura (Ellen) show.

This book was entertaining overall though I found that for a YA book it read a bit young. The characters were immature, in my opinion. Espe
Kristin
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Think Alex from Target only instead of a cute guy in a red shirt and khakis, you have Kyle. Kyle from Creative Writing Kyle. Kyle from Burger Barn, wearing his greasy orange uniform, waiting on an old couple, and holding a piping hot bouquet of french fries Kyle.

Kyle: most definitely Rachel's crush.
But: out of her league.

Or is he?

Gagnon's YA debut is filled with humor, heart, and plenty of hand-wringing. You'll worry over Kyle and Rachel, rooting for them to the very last page. A++
Breeana Shields
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was adorable! Laugh-out-loud funny, heartfelt and swoon worthy from beginning to end. I loved both Rachel and Kyle. Gagnon does a beautiful job of giving them each their own unique voice, and the dual perspective adds so much depth and charm to their story. I'm completely won over. Fans of Stephanie Perkins should add #famous to their TBR piles immediately.
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
The first time I tried to read this book, it turned out none of my ereaders were able to open the file. I was only able to read it while on my computer and the file was readable in the barest sense, I couldn't read the tiny font and oddly-formatted file for more than five minutes before I got a headache. So I gave up and decided I'd try to get a print copy.

The second time I tried to read this book, I requested it as one of my monthly review books as a YA Books Central reviewer and got it. Whoo!
YA Buddy Readers'...: #famous by Jilly Gagnon - Starting August 12th 2017 5 18 Sep 09, 2017 12:18PM
Young Adult Conte...: #25 #Famous by Jilly Gagnon starts June 18, 2017 3 7 Jun 24, 2017 08:23AM
The reviews 1 5 Mar 29, 2017 12:38AM
  • Dear Martin
  • Alex, Approximately
  • American Street
  • The Hidden Memory of Objects
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Definitions of Indefinable Things
  • Wait for Me
**Please note I rarely check messages here -- find me on twitter, @jillygagnon, for contact!**

Jilly Gagnon is the author of the young adult novel #famous (forthcoming from HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen in 2017), and the co-author of the Choose Your Own Misery series of comic choose-your-own-path novels for adults. The first installment, The Office Adventure, debuted in January 2016.

Her work has a
More about Jilly Gagnon

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Doing this would be like starting with a paper cut and trying to bandage it with a machete.” 1 likes
“Rachel, you need to look at this one.”

“I don’t need to do anything.”

“Okay, let me rephrase. I would like you to look at this one, then we can go back to the movie.”

“Yeah, well I’d like—”

“And if you disagree, I’ll keep pestering you until you do, and you’ll have to fight me for the remote, and we both know my crane style beats your tiger style.”

“I’m scrappy.”

“I’m serious.”

I rolled my eyes and grabbed the phone out of her hand.”
0 likes