Start by marking “Dracula” as Want to Read:
Dracula

Read Book* *Different edition

Dracula

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,005,758 ratings  ·  28,888 reviews
Meet the father of the vampire myth in this classic work by Bram Stoker. This Victorian novel is the basis for the modern vampire and the story of Count Dracula has be reworked countless time. The epistolary novel is written as a series of letters and journal entries and address themes including the role of women in Victorian culutre and colonialism.
Published March 6th 2015 by Xist Classics (first published May 26th 1897)

To ask other readers questions about Dracula, please sign up.
Bogdan Valentin Haha, yes! 400 pages book, ends in one paragraph. It was like the author was being pushed by someone.. "Finish already, we have to go fishing!! Everyo…moreHaha, yes! 400 pages book, ends in one paragraph. It was like the author was being pushed by someone.. "Finish already, we have to go fishing!! Everyone is waiting for you! Damn it, Bram, the sun will rise any minute and we're not on the lake by then.." Oh, wait.. (less)
Zakle You might be confused through out it since it IS an older book. There are a lot of words that are not apart of todays typical language, but I absolute…moreYou might be confused through out it since it IS an older book. There are a lot of words that are not apart of todays typical language, but I absolutely loved it when I first read it. Of course there were a lot of words I didn't know, and I often found myself at a lost, but I do believe that was because I was young when I first read it. Around fifteen or fourteen. It's a great classic though and I do recommend it. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  1,005,758 ratings  ·  28,888 reviews

Start your review of Dracula
Matthew
Two things about this book:

1. It is a really great and creepy story that deserves classic status
2. Everything is repeated soooooo much without any obvious benefit.

Here is actual footage of Bram Stoker writing this novel:

If Stoker had just got to the point, this book would have been much more exciting and suspenseful. I understand the exact same mysterious thing happens night after night. I understand that Dracula has some boxes of dirt. I get that you brought Winchester rifles along for protecti
Kat
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(edit: soz lol but i’m going down to a two bc i now that i have read the other “quintessential gothic monster novel” ummmmm this shit did not compare js)

this was all i could think about whenever they talked about dracula's dirt boxes lol

description

an actual review?? the first half was waaaay more interesting to me than the last half (idk if that's weird) basically, once the plot line with lucy was finished i cared a lot less. in the end, it definitely was not what i expected, but i'm still glad that i rea
Jonathan Terrington
Dracula: the very name instantly brings to mind visions of vampires, stakes, garlic, and crucifixes. Yet, when one bothers to read the novel, it becomes self-evident how twisted modern vampire fiction now is.

Vampires are not meant to inhabit the roles of heroes. Go back a few hundred years and men believed truly that the vampire was a real immortal, cursed to quench his undying thirst with a living mortal’s blood. The very idea of a blood drinker should, therefore, inspire the image of a villain
Elle (ellexamines)
I find Victorian horror so interesting because it’s a clear reaction to social norms of the time, to the buttoned-down and repressed social climate of the time, to the “new moral standards” of the church and the new questions brought up and hidden away by scientific thought. But under the fabric of late Victorian society lay wide ranges of change; the increased marriage rate and idea of the domestic sphere for women giving way to the New Woman, the upper class vs. lower class divide giving way t ...more
Anne
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Grumpy Old Vampires
Recommended to Anne by: Jeff
description

Shockingly, not a whole hell of a lot of vampire stuff up in this bitch.
Mostly, it read like a dull travelogue with lots of emotions - bro love everywhere! All the men loved all the women (platonically or otherwise) to the point they were willing to give their lives for whichever lucky lady was getting snacked on by Dracula at the time.
It was quite the love fest. <--I'm not buying it, Stoker!

And Dracula?
Not since Gary Olman's beehived old woman portrayal have I been less scared of this character
megs_bookrack
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Dracula is a truly timeless MASTERPIECE.

Believe it or not, I am still unable to review this, one of my very favorite novels of all time.

I annotated my most recent time reading it, in the hopes that it would help when it came to composing my final thoughts.

Alas, what I am really struggling with is the idea of little ole' me 'reviewing' a masterpiece.

I guess my goal is more to compel people to pick up this amazing piece of world literature and give it a shot, as opposed to providing an analysis
Caz (littlebookowl)
Managed to finish this :) Second time studying, but first successful read-through.
I enjoyed it more this time around, mainly because I actually read the last quarter or so of the book, which was the most enjoyable in my opinion.
Sean Barrs
Dracula is, of course, one of the most renowned horror stories, and the most well-known vampire novel. Bram Stoker set the ground rules for what a vampire should be, and set the benchmark for all other writers of the vampire afterwards. Indeed, if tyrannical villains are a necessity of Gothic fiction then Count Dracula is the father of all gothic villains, in spite of it being one of the last Gothic fiction novels to be written. It’s a work of genius that his presence is felt so strongly in the ...more
S.A. Parham
Aug 13, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I was rather disappointed by this classic. It started out with promise, especially the Jonathan Harker bits. Then all the male characters descended into blubbering worshippers of the two female characters, and by the end of the novel, I was wishing Dracula could snack on all of them and be done with it. I kept having to put it aside and read chapters in between other books, but I managed to finish it at last.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dracula (Dracula of Stoker Family #1), Bram Stoker

Dracula is an 1897 Gothic horror novel by Irish author Bram Stoker. It introduced Count Dracula, and established many conventions of subsequent vampire fantasy.

The novel tells the story of Dracula's attempt to move from Transylvania to England so that he may find new blood and spread the undead curse, and of the battle between Dracula and a small group of men and a woman led by Professor Abraham Van Helsing.

The story is told in epistolary forma
Mike (the Paladin)
I believe this may be the edition I read "first". This is an amazing book. I've read reviews by those who disagree and reviews by those who hated the format. But I was swept up in it the first time I read it as a teen and have been every time since.

My advice is don't worry about all the psychological baggage that has been tacked on over the years...and please don't confuse the movie "Bram Stoker's Dracula" with the actual plot, story, and characters in the book. It doesn't remotely resemble the
Martine
'Welcome to my house. Come freely. Go safely. And leave something of the happiness you bring!'

These are pretty much the first words spoken to Jonathan Harker, one of the heroes of Bram Stoker's Dracula, upon his arrival at Count Dracula's castle in Transylvania, just minutes after a nightmare journey through the landscape of gothic horror: darkness, howling wolves, flames erupting out of the blue, frightened horses. Within a few days of his arrival, Harker will find himself talking of the Count'
Matt
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This is a classic monster tale I have enjoyed before, but could not wait to revisit as the season is rife with haunted ghouls and bloodthirsty readers!

Young solicitor Johnathan Harker finds himself travelling through the Hungarian countryside and into Romania, on his way to a castle in the heart of Transylvania. There, one Count Dracula awaits Harker and proves to be an odd, yet amenable, host. Seeking to finalise a land deal in England, Harker and Dracula talk long into the night, though the fo
JV (semi-hiatus)
"There is reason that all things are as they are, and did you see with my eyes and know with my knowledge, you would perhaps better understand. [...] But there are things that you know not, but that you shall know, and bless me for knowing, though they are not pleasant things."
Nothing lasts forever.

Or so they say... at least for this particular being with protuberant teeth itching for yet another slice of an extra rare slab of steak and some bloody juice.

Isn't it a wonder that, once, there
Luffy
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
Dracula, the book, struck a chord with me. In it was a fight between good and evil. Modern vampires have great seduction powers. I never liked that. I also didn't like vampires in many Urban Fantasy books. The Hollows series spring to mind. The greatest change in the villainous vampires arises in Anne Rice's books. It was a perfect case study of an idea done to the death.

In Dracula, several people record their impressions. I 'pretend' to know that the women in the books, Lucy and Mina, have the
Henry Avila
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Children of the night what music they play" ; Jonathan Hawker hears those chilling, famous words from the inhuman appearing Count Dracula, in the remote Castle Dracula , Transylvania (Romania) . What started out as a simple real estate deal by an English solicitor and a foreign nobleman, becomes a blood sucking nightmare.
The shell shocked Jonathan is imprisoned by the creepy Count, a " person" you wouldn't want to see in a dark alley on a moonless midnight walk. Three strange , bizarre , but v
Emily May
I've grown to appreciate this more with age - especially as I've put more distance between myself and the time I studied Dracula at school. But I still think it's overrated. Dracula isn't nearly scary enough, Jonathan Harker is a wet mop of a protagonist, Mina is annoying and the best character [spoiler alert!] gets killed less than halfway into the book. . ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More)
Henk
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The start was intriguing enough but around halfway, after one of the main characters died, it’s just the 19th century equivalent of conference call after conference call on how to destroy Dracula
How can woman help loving men when they are so earnest, and so true, and so brave! And, too, it made me think of the wonderful power of money!

Quite contrary to what I'd expected beforehand is that Dracula is not that creepy.
The book is almost soap like, in how the friends of Lucy are constantly frustrate
Carmen
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone on Earth
No man knows till he experiences it, what it is to feel his own life-blood drawn away into the veins of the woman he loves.

This seems to be my first time reading Dracula, and I LOVED IT. I say "seems" because I swear I've read it before. However, that would have been ages ago. Or a byproduct of seeing 10 million different Dracula interpretations before the age of 20. o.O So it was fresh and relatively new to me. I was surprised by the twists and turns. I thought I would be able to reasonably pre
Hannah Greendale

Despite being hailed "the most famous figure of seductive evil" in literature, Count Dracula proves to be neither scary nor seductive.

Paquita Maria Sanchez
This was neither as bad as I assumed it would be or (nor?) as good as I eventually started thinking it could be. Much as I love receiving real mail, whether it's a letter, present, post card, or even just a book I ordered (Shucks, for me? Thanks, me!), the epistolary form just doesn't generally jiggle my jolly parts. This is especially true when a lot of what you're reading is the journals of a bunch of people you'd never even want to have passing conversations with, Dr. Van Helsing and Dr. Sewa ...more
Julia Ash
A classic literary masterpiece!!!

Here's a example of Stoker's writing, from Jonathan Harker's journal shortly after he was taken prisoner by Count Dracula in his castle:

"I looked out over the beautiful expanse, bathed in soft yellow moonlight till it was almost as light as day. In the soft light the distant hills became melted, and the shadows in the valleys and gorges of velvety blackness."

and then...

"But my feelings turned to repulsion and terror when I saw the whole man slowly emerge from th
Ginger
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ginger by: Terry
Shelves: 2018, audio, classics
I want to suck your blood!!
What an amazing Gothic classic to listen too!

So, I finally did it. I took on the granddaddy of all vampire books. I decided to listen to this one instead of reading it due to a great recommendation from a friend on here.
Thanks Terry!

I think this was a great decision to do since the characters in the audio book were excellent, especially Susan Duerden. Her voice was beautiful and mesmerizing as Lucy Westenra! All the narrators did such a great job with each character.

Th
J.G. Keely
Almost every author will fall into one of two camps: the active, and the reactive. The active author looks at the world around them and decides to write about what they see. They sit down and think: "I'm going to write a story, the subtext of which will provide my analysis of Victorian sexual mores". They then construct the story around this theme, creating characters to show different aspects and constructing a plot which moves from general observations to specific insights.

Then there are the r
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Meh, it wasn’t as great as I was hoping. Sucks too because I love this beautiful little door stopper of a book. I hugged it often! Bastards! Making something so adorable that’s going in the trade in box. Sigh. I really loved the beginning, and don’t get me wrong, it was still good ....just not fantastic for me. I’m glad most everyone else in the world loved it 😃

Happy Reading!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Jason Pettus
Apr 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

The CCLaP 100: In which I read a hundred so-called "classic" books for the first time, then write reports on whether or not I think they deserve the label

Book #13: Dracula, by Bram Stoker (1897)

The story in a nutshell:
To best understand the storyline of Dracula, it's important to imagine yourself as a
William2
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19-ce, uk, fiction, do-not-own
All plodding plot, which can sometimes be amusing. This is my second reading. Perfect Gothic thriller fun for the summertime, but not for any brilliance of style. No, I’m reading it again for the grisly action, for the scene setting. Like when Jonathan Harker finds the Count asleep during the day on a box of dirt. What! There’s much use of over description, which was just the convention of Victorian writing in general. But it makes the scenes at times excruciatingly effective.

I like the scene in
Paul Bryant
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, spooky-ookums
If I was Bram Stoker I’d remake the old Melanie hit – remember this one?

Look what they done to my song, ma
look what they done to my song
well it's the only thing that I could do half right
and it's turning out all wrong ma
look what they done to my song

Which the Count would have sung as

Uite ce au facut sa ma cantec, mama
Uite ce au facut cintecul meu e singurul
lucru care i s-ar putea face jumatate
dreptate si e intorcandu-se in toate regula mama
uite ce au facut sa ma cintec

Reviewing Dracula in
Apatt
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, classics
“Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make.”

This iconic quote illustrates the unfathomable depth of Dracula’s evil. Not only does he have terrible taste in music (wolf metal, anyone?), he is keen to inflict his awful taste on poor Jonathan Harker who is already regretting his visit to Dracula’s castle. If the novel was set in the present day the Count probably would have put on “Yoko Ono’s Greatest Hits”. “Listen to her. Nice Japanese lady. What music she makes.”. At which poin
Laurie R. King Vi...: Dracula by Bram Stoker - VBC June 2021 94 34 4 hours, 29 min ago
Catching up on Cl...: Dracula - Spoilers 258 432 Jun 14, 2021 05:44PM
Reading 1001: Dracula 7 24 May 28, 2021 06:24PM
The Katie McGrath...: Dracula by Bram Stoker, November 2018 8 39 May 28, 2021 10:34AM
Goodreads Librari...: [Solved] Please combine 3 17 Apr 28, 2021 04:38PM

• It
  • Frankenstein: The 1818 Text
  • The Shining
  • Carrie
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • The Exorcist
  • Wuthering Heights
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Pet Sematary
  • 1984
  • 'Salem's Lot
  • Jane Eyre
  • Misery
  • The Great Gatsby
See top shelves…
He was born Abraham Stoker in 1847 at 15 Marino Crescent – then as now called "The Crescent" – in Fairview, a coastal suburb of Dublin, Ireland. His parents were Abraham Stoker and the feminist Charlotte Mathilda Blake Thornely. Stoker was the third of seven children. Abraham and Charlotte were members of the Clontarf Church of Ireland parish and attended the parish church (St. John the Baptist lo ...more

Articles featuring this book

For as long as people have been telling stories, we’ve spun tales of the monsters and nightmares that lurk in the shadows of our imaginations....
135 trivia questions
18 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.” 3890 likes
“We learn from failure, not from success!” 2442 likes