Start by marking “Rise To Me (Psychic Surveys, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rise To Me (Psychic Surveys, #2)

Rise To Me (Psychic Surveys #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  392 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
"This isn't a ghost we're dealing with. If only it were that simple..."
Eighteen years ago, when psychic Ruby Davis was a child, her mother - also a psychic - suffered a nervous breakdown. Ruby was never told why. "It won't help you to know," the only answer ever given. Fast forward to the present and Ruby is earning a living from her gift, running a high street consultan
Published March 19th 2015 by Crooked Cat Publishing Ltd (first published March 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Rise To Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise To Me

May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

This was much creepier than the first book, much, much creepier! It was darker too and instead of sleeping (which I should've been doing at 2am) I continued on with this because I had to see how it would end.

The characters are drawn out even more and you get to know more of their back stories especially that of Ruby and Jessica, you find out what happened all those years ago and you hope that everything will be ok in the end, that they'll face their 'demons' and be able to move forward.

It
Theresa (TBC) (TT&B)
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was spooky and atmospheric. Dark things and inner evil. Is it a real thing? This made me think of the substance of people and how we can be a conduit to and for other things.
Loved the Lasher link. Brilliant books too! Some humour too. Lightened but then boom back into the dark.
The narrator was good, a nice calm voice that got the eerie across and the horror. Extremely good
Bev Smart Pettiford
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story, unputdownable for me ...
John Bowen
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you read The Haunting of Highdown Hall, you'll have maybe noted a couple of trailing threads once that tale was told; in 'Rise to Me' Struthers pulls at them and something deliciously dark begins to unravel.

Tone was one of the things I appreciated about HH, if anything Rise works even better in this respect. Darker from the get go, we're primed for a journey from spiritualism into the occult; it's a cracking journey too, full of foreboding, twists and turns and Ruby's and her family's past, t
Mark Tilbury
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Following on from The Haunting of Highdown Hall, this book finds business improving for psychic Ruby Davis. She also begins to be affected by events in her past and she quickly realises she'll need the help of her team of psychics to overcome the darkness in front of her.

Shani Struthers has done a great job with this book. The characters all work brilliantly together and you get to know them all more as the plot moves along. I liked how Ruby's childhood and her relationship with her mother were
Jaye Marie
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The opening prologue of this stunningly unusual second book in the series, instantly grabs you by the throat. We meet Ruby, a young psychic child, one already well used to communicating with spirits, finding herself confronted with one who is not human or ever was.

Fast-forward 18 years and Ruby now runs a successful domestic spiritual clearance business, called Psychic Surveys, using psychic detection to solve old crimes.
In the course of her job, she encounters an angry ghost and tries to help i
Seumas Gallacher
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
...loved this...

...Rise To Me is the first ever read for me in the paranormal genre...and I was rewarded with a terrific narrative... Shani Struthers has brought clever characterisations to her ‘living’ players, but even more so to the ‘other beings' wrapped so well into the story... my pre-formed notion of how this kind of genre plays out were kicked into touch within a couple of chapters, and I was hooked... tension there certainly is, but well-timed counterpoint passages introduce some splend
Sarah Kenny
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rise to me is the second book in the psychic surveys series. In the first book we met Ruby and her team that make up psychic surveys. There were teasers in there that come to light in this one. It focuses on Ruby and her family, in particular her mother Jessica, whom we know has suffered for most of Rubys life.

Now, I loved Highdown Hall and rated it 5 stars. Could this one live up to it? Seeing how high the bar was set. Well, let me tell you, yes, it did. In fact, if I’m being completely honest
Julia Peet
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this second Psychic Surveys novel from Shani Struthers. The characters that appeared in the first book all came together again and even more delightfully, the appearance (or not!) of Jed, the ghost dog was an added bonus. I found the addition of this furry member of the Psychic Surveys Team a pleasant lift to the storyline. Ruby was the main feature in this story, together with her boyfriend Cash and it was great to see how Jessica, Ruby's mother, was able to find her voice and te ...more
Debra
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good read

I only gave 4 stars because it at one point almost lost my interest. Not enough to really put it down but it started to feel hohum. It is a good second in the series and I will get the next one also. It is good to have Jessica come into the story and be a mom. At least it appears she will. I have yet to read if that actually happens..

Noelle Kelly
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I moved on to this straight after the first book in the series and this was much darker and scarier. After being introduced to them in book 1 I was terrified for them in book 2. There were some scary scenes in this book and I loved it!
Sharlene
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the first book so much I immediately went and bought the next 3.
As promised this story definitely gets darker. All I can say is, it's not good to read this just before going to sleep!
A great, dark, nail biting read. I'm off to read book 3.
Book Monitor
This second in the series was a darker tale. Ruby and her family take the centre stage. This goes back to what her mother experienced and challenges all the psychic survey gang but especially Ruby.
It is well written and gripping and although I didn't like this as much as the first I liked the character development and felt that Ruby whilst interesting isn't always likeable. She doesn't always make wise decisions and she can be downright stroppy. Of the other charcters Ness is the least develope
Desiree O'donnell
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little slow going but good

I think I liked the first book better. This one was a little slow going and took me a lot longer to finish. I will try book 3 and see how that one goes. All in all however, the book was good.
carla stout
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ruby

I choose this rating but c cause I enjoyed it. A bit frightening but was a good read. I will read more
Joyce
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh WOW just finished the Rise To Me the second book in the psychic surveys series it was amazing, when I first started reading I didn't think I was going to like this one as much as the first, but when I was a few chapters in I couldn't put it down, it is a truly gripping story now I can't wait to read the third, and usually I like a break between books in a series, but not this series I absolutely can't get enough of it.
Joy
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rise To Me...
Better than the first book and that one was pretty great. Definitely more tense moments for Ruby and company this time around. I'm glad this story wasn't set directly on the heels of the previous.
I appreciate that rather than have this span a short time frame (of days or weeks) it is a struggle of months. It shows that the writer is well aware that not all problems are solved lickety-split.
Molly
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant read

Absolutely loved this book! Shani Struthers is a great author can't wait to read the other books in this series!
Christina Bearden-white
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick and fun read, as always with Shani Struthers.
joanne miller
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
rise to me

This is the second book in the series about Ruby and her team and I've got to say I loved both books and I've just downloaded two more.really good read couldn't put this one down 😀😀
John Morris
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Slightly Disappointed

I didn't feel that this book was as enjoyable as others I have read by the same author. It felt rather laboured and strung out. The main characters lacked depth. Shani Struthers is a good story teller, but this was not one of her better efforts. However, it will not stop me downloading other books by the same author.
Caroline
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shani does it again with another wonderful story in the psychic surveys series this one feels darker than the first, but is well balanced with humour, I am loving seeing how the characters develop over the series of books.
Carol Oates
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Finally, I’m getting around to writing this review. After reading the first book in this series, The Haunting of Highdown Hall, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this book. Let me just say, I grew up on dark supernatural and horror. From a young age I probably saw more movies and read more books in the genre than I should have. I had nightmares because of James Herbert and Stephen King books, and one of the first movies on our home cinema(a projector and screen) was The Masque of the Red Death. ...more
Andy Angel
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second in the Psychic Surveys series which began with The Haunting of Highdown Hall last year. Based in Lewes, East Sussex Psychic Surveys is a business that, among other things, helps spirits grounded in this world to move 'into the light'.

Rise To Me is a darker book than Highdown Hall was....much darker. Things that were hinted at in the first book are brought to the fore and affect the dynamic of the team when they need to be at their strongest. Things really kick off when Ruby,
Amy
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

Well firstly this book is just as gripping if not more than the previous In the trilogy. While having such an amazing storyline, but also true facts from history really helped build the depth of the book. Following Ruby on another amazing journey not only in present but past was thoroughly enjoyable. Shani truly is an amazing writer with true skills on how to set the scene and atmosphere in the book. For anyone who hasn't read this series I do urge if you want to read a great book. I ho
S.J.
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ok when I say this is a five star book I'm lying but only because this book deserves way, way more than five stars, in fact it deserves a galaxy full of stars!
I really, really enjoyed the first book in this series and really could not wait to get my hands on this book. For me the first book was perfect and I will admit I wanted desperately to see where the wonderful Ms Struthers was going to take me and I was not disappointed in the least.
This story is a rollercoaster ride from the very beginni
Lynne Hughes
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a huge fan of the paranormal genre, I have read many books on the topic of Psychics and Ghosts but this is a refreshing new take on an often overdone genre.

Ruby Davis’ mission, along with moving grounded spirits into the light, is to bring her profession into the light also, as it were. She set up her business on the high street and employed, freelance, a group of people with similar skills.
Then waited, and soon the cases rolled in.

Shani Struthers weaves an exciting and gripping story, withou
Lesley Hughes
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved Psychic Surveys Book One 'The Haunting of Highdown Hall' so have been eagerly awaiting the next in the series. Could 'Rise to Me' be as good? In a word No...
...it's better! Don't get me wrong, I gave Book One a well-deserved five stars , but for me the darker and more sinister turn that 'Rise to Me' takes makes it even more compelling...I literally stayed up all night to finish this (OK, I admit it, I also didn't want to fall asleep - in the dark - in case...well, let's just say that Sha
Joanna Gawn
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rise to Me, the second in the Psychic Surveys series, was a relatively fast read for me … partly because I couldn’t stop turning the pages!

A richly-layered tale, the author has done a wonderful job of entwining the power of love and light with shadowy menace - not least, the very real darkness that fear and despair can elicit.

With Psychic Surveys being ‘on the High Street’ there is a great sense of the ‘everyday’ in this series, despite the team working with the spirit realm and issues that mo
Rumer Haven
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crooked-cats
Delightfully dark. Quite darker, in fact, than its predecessor, but all the more compelling for it. Book One (The Haunting of Highdown Hall) introduces a mystery in Ruby's family history, but it's here where we see that supernatural secret more fully fleshed out, so to speak. The staff at Psychic Surveys still field their clients' paranormal claims, but Ruby faces her most dangerous investigation when the paranormal becomes personal. Embodying all the elements we love from the first book, this s ...more
  • The New Chalet School (The Chalet School, #14)
  • A Cat on Jingle Bell Rock (Alice Nestleton, #15)
  • Welcome to the Spookshow
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • The Fall of the Dagger (The Forsaken Lands, #3)
  • Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Deeds of Mercy (Mark Taylor, #3)
  • The Christmas Night Murder (Christine Bennett, #5)
  • Bryant & May and the Secret Santa (Bryant & May, #11.5)
  • Murder, She Wrote: Murder Never Takes a Holiday
  • Ornaments of Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #10)
  • City of Ice
  • The Necromancer's Betrayal (The Final Formula, #2.5)
  • For the Memory of Dragons (Dragons of Eternity #2)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
It's all about the ghosts...

Here's the order my books come in:

Psychic Surveys Prequel: Eve - A Christmas Ghost Story

Supporting Psychic Surveys Novellas
Blakemort
Thirteen

* PLEASE NOTE ONLY EVE, BLAKEMORT AND THIRTEEN ARE S
More about Shani Struthers...

Psychic Surveys (5 books)
  • Eve: A Christmas Ghost Story (Psychic Surveys, #0.5)
  • The Haunting of Highdown Hall (Psychic Surveys, #1)
  • 44 Gilmore Street (Psychic Surveys, #3)
  • Old Cross Cottage (Psychic Surveys, #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)