Start by marking “Cam Girl” as Want to Read:
Cam Girl

Cam Girl

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  1,613 Ratings  ·  447 Reviews
Vada Bergen is broke, the black sheep of her family, and moving a thousand miles away from home for grad school, but she’s got the two things she loves most: her art and her best friend—and sometimes more—Ellis Carraway. Ellis and Vada have a friendship so consuming it’s hard to tell where one girl ends and the other begins. It’s intense. It’s a little codependent. And not ...more
Published November 3rd 2015 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Cam Girl, please sign up.
Ifrah
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If two people could make each other smile and laugh and forget all the pain and darkness in the world for a moment, why should we feel ashamed of it?

A couple years back, I did a "New Adult Experiment" and attempted to find the hidden gems amid a genre full of, um... crap. One of those gems was Raeder's Unteachable - a lyrical, different kind of romance.

Since then, Leah Raeder has released two more books - Black Iris and Cam Girl - and I think it would be a disservice to potential readers and
Navessa
Full disclosure: I've been drinking.

Okay, so here's the thing. Leah Raeder is a really good friend of mine, but it should be noted that this fact in no way influenced my opinion of this book.

Oh, and it should ALSO be noted that I'm reviewing the version that I beta-read, not the finalized copy. There's a reason for that, which I'll get to a little later in this wine-fueled word vomit.

Maybe?

If I don't, someone please comment and remind me to do so when I sober up.

Thanks in advance.

WARNING: I'
Leah
Oct 21, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Update: November 20, 2015

Full blog post to come, but I had to share a sneak peek of this with you guys...

Cam Girl got a starred review in Publishers Weekly. Along with Black Iris, that's two stars for me in one year.

Not bad, eh? brb losing my shit

---

Previously:

---

Update: March 31, 2015

Just finished writing this tonight. Can't believe I've written three books for traditional publication already.

Unteachable was brash, impudent, and brave; Black Iris is dark and brutal and uncompromising. But Cam G
Lola

Do you know how much blood is soaked into every mile of asphalt, how many graves you drive over each morning on the way to work?

The world is so thick with ghosts it's a wonder anyone can breathe.

This is real. This is the deal.
Baba
3 to 3.5 stars. Posted September 10, 2015.

photo oie_t7ErFTmRnUih_zpswrtq1bye.png
 photo oie_Am9NOm18OQHt_zpsvfhm3hgu.gif
 photo oie_hwhPLtW2n8Up_zpsw24orvwn.gif
 photo oie_IrnbZmjNQ6Oy_zps1n7pxzmf.gif

I walked from the patio down to the sea, the whispery sweep of waves like jazz brush drumming. Strands of tinsel moonlight floated on the water. The anxiety and unease in me all gathered into an ache at my elbow and I felt as if I could fire bullets from it, or set it on fire, or rip it out of the socket. Wasn’t sure whether I wanted the badness out or if the badness could stay as long as I escaped. Pain makes a body a prison, the same way desire does.
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
7 Reasons Why You Should Read Cam Girl

1. Cam Girl is intense as fuck, in more ways than one. For one thing, this book does sort of have a mystery aspect to it, which, let me tell 'ya, is a HOLY-MOLY-GIVE-ME-ANSWERS-NOW kind of mystery. It's also intense in a way that Leah Raeder clearly doesn't shy away from the nitty and gritty, and also points out a few of the things many of us don't normally talk or think about.

2. Cam Girl talks about all these societal in social issues in such a raw manner.
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
The full review of this WONDERFUL, PERFECT, AMAZING BOOK is now live on 100% Rock Magazine!

What I adore about Raeder's books is how real they feel. It seems that every time she writes a book, she takes a little part of the people sh
Anya
For the last three days I have been asking myself if I should review this book but in the end, the urge to let the words fly out of my fingers won out.

Here's the thing. I am bisexual. I am a person of colour and I come from a country where homosexuality is a criminal offence which means if I were to make love to my girlfriend, both of our arses would be thrown in jail.

Where's the fairness you ask?

NOT HERE.

I have been attracted to girls ever since I can remember and only in my early teenage years
Jaidee
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those in the mood for a queer psychosexual thriller
Recommended to Jaidee by: a lesbian bartender
3 "diamond in the rough" stars !!

2017 Read Where I Wished I was Editor Award

For the moment, please disregard the 3 star rating.

I am so excited to have discovered Elliot Wake, formerly Leah Raeder who is an extremely talented author who happens to be a trans man and a very handsome one at that. I know, I know the fact that he is handsome is irrelevant but since this is a psychosexual thriller romance I had to mention that as well :)

We raced to the end of the pier, screaming for no other reaso
Selene

A car accident ends with one fatality. The remaining survivors are two young women. One remembers everything. The other one doesn’t remember much of anything. Or does she?

This book touched on the topics of bisexuality and gender identity. It’s well written but there was endless push and pull between Vada and Ellis. Hurtful lies and deceptive actions were quietly dismissed after a very long buildup and that’s where this story was most disappointing for me. I loved how multilayered the ch
Natalie Monroe
"You know what I learned in all these months? That I built my whole fucking life around you. My entire adult life. Five years. I'm totally lost on my own. You know how terrifying it is, to be that dependent on someone?"

Play Taylor Swift's 1989 while you're reading Cam Girl. Blast it on your stereo, then go for a midnight drive because that's what Raeder's writing makes you feel. Like you're drunk and infinite and glowing neon in the dark.

"Onlookers see the finished result, polished and pretti
Vane J.
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of New Adult. Like, at all. There are too many tropes in that territory and I'd rather avoid the trouble. My resignation to read NA stopped last year when I read my first book by Leah Raeder. Since then, I've read her three novels and they've yet to disappoint. They're this kind of book that's both sexy and addresses important themes inside them. In this case, it goes to sex trade by cam girls and the exploration of sexual identity.

But to add more spice to that, there's also a myst
Baba
3 to 3.5 stars.

photo oie_t7ErFTmRnUih_zpswrtq1bye.png

I'm sorry but it seems to me that I have once again made a mess with the different editions. You can find my "review" here:

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Denied the ARC, so someone let me know when this moment happens:

Chicago commercial photographers
Mara
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-reads
Fucking glorious. Review to come soon, but guys, do yourselves a favor and preorder this gem!
Jenny

Last year I read Unteachable by Leah Raeder and fell in love with her lyrical and incredible writing;so poetic and beautiful that I just couldn't put it down. And after reading this book,I can say that she is one of my favorite author
Rose
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pre-read: Ye Gods, I really, really, really want to read this book.

Edit: Might as well start doing my happy dance ahead of time because I got a galley today, guys. Whoo-hoo! *dance, dance, dances*

This will be read in due haste.

Post-read: Finished this a while back, but marking it for today. I honestly wish more NA books could have this skill, depth, and intrigue. I really liked Cam Girl. Still debating on my reflection and rating though. 4 stars will probably be what I settle on.
Christy LoveOfBooks

I swear, Leah Raeder's writing fucks with my emotions. It's extremely hard for me to express my feelings, especially when it comes to something I connect with so deeply with. All of her books have hit me in some very profound way, and I get this huge churning storm of feelings and emotions that I struggle to let out. It's just easier for me to swallow them and keep them hidden away. I also feel like whatever I say won't come anywhere near what I truly feel, because a pathetic "I love it" just wo
Wendy Darling
Because Leah. Obviously.
Casey
THIS BOOK IS RELEASED TODAY
YOU SHOULD GO BUY IT

Leah Raeder books are notoriously difficult for me to rate and review so you'll have to excuse my slight tendency to jump around or ramble. I think that may just be my honest reaction to her stories. Frequently the subject matter ventures dangerously close to where I draw my line, I never agree with the actions of the MC, and most of the time I don't even approve of the ending.
But I will continue to read everything Leah writes.

I know, I'm probably
Beverly
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cam Girl isn’t what I expected, but I can’t say I didn’t find beauty in Vada’s story. What I expected when I picked up Cam Girl was the story about a girl who was broken beyond repair and turned to camming as a last resort. I expected a girl that found herself and love in the boy she met online. While some of that is true, the ending and delivery was completely unexpected.

Vada is bisexual and the story begins after she wakes up from a fatal car accident. There are flashbacks to the accident and
Michelle
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Atria
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

photo 4cafd786ed0a8753830e170290529e_zpslu1pc5lx.gif

Bold. Heartbreaking. Emotional. Captivating. Brazen. Sensual.Thought provoking. Leah Raeder is one of those gifted authors who continually knows how to spellbind her readers with her beautiful prose and raw characters. CAM GIRL is unlike any story that I have read. It is bold, risky, raw, gritty and emotionally consuming.

#CamGirl1

CAM GIRL pushes boundaries and allows readers to explore their sexuality. It is a story that makes you question and
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
A new Leah Raeder book!
 photo 92a8256f646aea4106db7fedc2142a44_zps0382f4e5.jpg
...I just found mine :)
*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist
* Buddy-Read Review with Beatrix posted on Way Too Hot Books.

"All art comes from pain."

Dark, raw, thought-provoking, erotic, poignant, inspiring... but above all beautifully written. It's such a complex, powerful and skilfully written story that makes me feeling inadequate to even write a review about it, that's why I'll keep it short. I thought it will be pretty impossible to dethrone Black Iris, but L. Raeder has yet again stolen a piece of my heart with Cam Girl and set the level much hig
Ursula Uriarte
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Without a doubt one of the best books I've read this year... My review will be up on the blog on November 12
Beatrix
**Buddy-Review with *P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist posted on Way Too Hot Books.**

What a strange world where we pay people to listen to our problems, and pay them to fuck themselves while we watch, and pay them to save us.

Once upon a time (okay, when I read Unteachable) I fell in love with Leah Raeder’s words. And ever since, I await her next novel with delightful anticipation. It’s like (s)he has this deep, profound relationship with words, and we, as readers, should feel lucky we get to read what c
Aestas Book Blog
A new Leah Raeder book!!!!

It's about a talented young artist, struggling to make ends meet after a series of catastrophic setbacks, who forges a deep connection with a mysterious client who wants her camgirl performances to himself and who forces her to reconnect with the demons of her past.
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
ARC provided by Atria Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Keertana
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never know what to say about a Leah Raeder novel. It made me uncomfortable. It was difficult to read because I kept wanting to stop, to leave these messy, unlikable characters with their dark flaws in the pages of the book. It made me think, late into the night, unable to make sense of myself, the characters, or the world. And all of these are good. It is so rare to find a book that makes me reflect, that forces me to take a long time anguishing over the language, that genuinely shoves me outs ...more
Joce (squibblesreads)
4.5 stars.
Finished during Diverseathon in September :)
This is the first time in months that a book has really wrenched my soul out and I can truly say that I LOVED this and highlighted so many passages that I want to revisit. It's not an easy read with very few likeable characters but they all had so many facets and every word and event added something new to their structure. Ugh, so good.
  • Bad Boy
  • Second Position (District Ballet Company #1)
  • Out on Good Behavior (Radleigh University, #3)
  • N/A
  • Craving's Creek
  • Take Them by Storm (Angel Island, #3)
  • Exposed (Captive, #2)
  • Song of Summer
  • Our Broken Sky (Chaos Theory, #1.5)
  • South of Sunshine
  • Summer Skin
  • Discovering Delilah (Harborside Nights #2; Love in Bloom #56)
  • Filthy 2 (Filthy, #2)
  • Dark Soul: The Complete Collection (Dark Soul, #1-5)
  • Falling Under
  • From Scratch (Blue Plate, #1)
  • Vanquished
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
LEAH RAEDER is a writer and unabashed nerd. Aside from reading her brains out, she enjoys graphic design, video games, fine whiskey, and the art of self-deprecation. She lives with her very own manic pixie dream boy in Chicago.

(And she still writes pretentiously lyrical fiction.)
More about Leah Raeder

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“This is what they don’t tell you about losing someone: It doesn’t happen once. It happens every day, every moment they’re missing from. You lose them a hundred times between waking and sleep, and even sleep is no respite, because you lose them in your dreams, too.” 42 likes
“You can fall in love again with someone you're already in love with. It's like waking from a dream within a dream and finding another layer, the colors more vivid, the light more lucid, the fantasy more real. Being in love is an endless loop of waking to reverie.” 24 likes