Start by marking “438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea” as Want to Read:
438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea

438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea

438 Days is the miraculous account of the man who survived alone and adrift at sea longer than anyone in recorded history—as told to journalist Jonathan Franklin in dozens of exclusive interviews.

On November 17, 2012, Salvador Alvarenga left the coast of Mexico for a two-day fishing trip. A vicious storm killed his engine and the current dragged his boat out to sea
Published November 17th 2015 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about 438 Days, please sign up.
kit robbins Absolutely appropriate. The book offers an insight into just what the human mind can achieve when tested, and it is also a wonderful example of a mans…moreAbsolutely appropriate. The book offers an insight into just what the human mind can achieve when tested, and it is also a wonderful example of a mans determination to live in the face of very, very bleak odds.(less)

P-eggy (semi-hiatus, semi-a Harlequin life
This is a stunning story. How does a hard-partying, spendthrift illegal immigrant (into Mexico!) who sells his catch for subsistence level pay and has no ambitions actually have the wherewithal to survive so long drifting at sea both physically and mentally?

Earlier this year I read Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea. I doubted that 438 Days would be as good because I identified with Steve Callahan who had been shipwrecked off the Canaries while attempting a passage to the Caribbean. I've sailed that
Trudi

I am a sucker for survival stories, especially those set at sea. Have no idea why. Perhaps it's for the visceral, vicarious thrill of experiencing these terrifying events unfold from the safety and comfort of my reading chair. Which probably makes me an asshole, but let's be clear -- it's not the SUFFERING I get off on, but the grittiness and ingenuity required of the survivors to live through the ordeal so that we can all learn from it in some profound way (there is a part of me that uses these
What a remarkable story! I've heard about people being found after days and even weeks at sea but never have I heard the story of José Salvador Alvarenga, a man who was adrift in the ocean for 438 days. Where was this news story??? Where was I???

Initially, 438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea was to serve as a filler book for me between library holds. I didn't even intend to finish it. But once I started, I was glued and let's just say that my TBR list was quickly pu
Chuck
FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY-EIGHT DAYS! That’s how long José Salvador Alvarenga was stranded at sea. Without a working motor or even any oars, he found himself adrift in his small boat, fighting for his life and sanity as the ocean’s currents carried him, mostly at a snail’s pace, over 6000 miles across the Pacific Ocean. As the author points out, that’s almost the equivalent of a baby crawling from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, except for the baby could probably do it faster.

Starting out I was a bit wo
Chris
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I not only appreciate the incredible story told, a story that has much to tell anyone who has ever felt themselves facing seemingly insurmountable odds (which is pretty much everyone), but also the tremendous research which creates the basis for the tale, and the heartfelt sympathy and respect that Mr. Franklin gave to Salvador Alvarenga, our protagonist. This story is a feast for the mind as
♥ Sandi ❣
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
The true story of 438 days in the Pacific Ocean - in a small dingy.

Both Salvador Alvarenga, experienced fisherman, and Ezequiel Cordoba, twenty-two year old apprentice, left Costa Azul, Mexico to do a days fishing. Many would not go out that day due to a coming storm, but Alvarenga knew he could make it out and back before the worst of the storm hit. That was not to be. They drifted across the Pacific Ocean, surviving by eating raw turtles and birds. One man died of extreme hunger fr
Karen
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review was done by KissinBlueKaren

This biography was amazing. It is the type of non fiction that makes me feel good about being alive. In 438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea, we meet a man named Salvador Alvarenga and see his unbelievable will to live against all odds.

Somehow, I never heard about this man. I can’t believe this happened in my lifetime and I missed the news about it.

Salvador Alvarenga survived 438 days adrift in a small fishing boat.

He had no food, no water,/>
Shay Dawn
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, pg
In which we discuss... cannibalism?

Alvarenga is not perfect. He drinks, he smokes marijuana, he parties hard, he left his daughter -- a one-year-old -- behind and he's an illegal living in Mexico. Franklin doesn't try to hide any of that. But we also see the good in Alvarenga, a man who refuses to quit. He takes pride in his job, finds family among his coworkers, has a good sense of humor and a generous spirit.

Alvarenga and Ezequiel get stranded in a boat together after a storm, a boat which endsdiscuss...
Dale Pearl
There are stories of survival and then there is this story of simply refusing to die. Salvador Alvarenga will forever be the man to tough for the sun to fry and for tough circumstances to thwart.

438 days at sea. 118 days with a companion. Are you kidding me? How many could survive that isolation on land with a healthy stock of food and water? Now let's trade your water for urine and your food for raw fish and birds. Let's see how long you manage to survive.

Not only is thi
Karen Rush
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Don’t think about death, if you think you are going to die, you will die…everything will work out…don’t give up hope, remain calm”.

A long-lasting storm of five days overcame fisherman Salvador Alvarenga’s small boat, stalling his engine and tossing all of his navigational equipment, tools, food and water overboard. For months he drifted thousands of miles in solitude in a huge silent ocean, surviving additional storms, a blinding sun, circling sharks and agonizing hunger. There were
Brendan Monroe
This does what it says on the tin. You want a survival story, the typical “guy succeeds against death-defying odds” account? Here it is.

A Salvadoran fisherman named, appropriately enough, Salvador Alvarenga, set out on a fishing expedition from Costa Azul, Mexico. A bad storm moved in, boat blew off course, and 438 days later he washed up on Ebon Atoll in the Marshall Islands, 6,700 kilometers from the place he had set out from. That’s pretty far away, but during that time Alvarenga's boat was
Pamela
Absolutely enthralling.....

MIND BLOWING!!!!

A jaw dropping true account of an ocean-drift survival story. My first Top-Pick for 2016.

438 Days adrift.... Can you imagine drifting tens of thousands of miles across the Pacific Ocean - from Mexico to the Marshall Islands in an old wooden Panga; your motor is fried; there are no sails; no oars; no radio. Nothing but you and an endless, relentless horizon.....

Well written and researched. The author, Jonathan Franklin, spent over a year intervi
Perri
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stranded at sea for 438 days-that's crazy! Seriously! More than a year drifting in the Pacific Ocean. Castaway, Alveranga, reminds me of Zamperini in Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption. Why do some people endure great peril and suffering while others succumb? Survival and Marine experts weigh in throughout the book and give insight into the misadventure, but it's Alveranga's dogged determination and vivid recollections which make this a riveting read.
Lynn
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The harrowing adventure of Salvador Alvarenga, Mexican fisherman, who left Costa Azul one morning for a quick fishing trip. Fourteen months later, he washed up on the shores of the Marshall Islands. His story will inspire you and, in his own words, "Be strong. Think positive. Think about the future of your life, that life is beautiful. There are challenges and punishment in life but they can be overcom."
Carah
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most interesting, jaw dropping, and oddly inspirational stories I have read in a very long time. I have nothing but respect for this man. His will to survive, and mind over matter mentality was so inspiring to read about. His mental and emotional strength is unfathomable and reading about it makes you truly believe that if he made it through THAT, then you can make it through anything. I love a TRUE survival story and this is hands down one of my favorites. There is everythin ...more
Kayla (kaylareads)
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Juliann
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a story, I found this fascinating and compelling. The story telling is maybe a bit dry, but that's more because its from a journalist that interviewed Salvador, not from his prospective. I will be sharing this book with others and I enjoyed it very much. I received this as a part of a goodreads giveaway.
Karen McP
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not a book I would have chosen, but so glad I read it. Touching, fascinating and ultimately uplifting. If it had been fiction it would have seemed too unbelievable!
Amanda
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
438 Days is an inspirational tale that is incomparable to any other non-fiction story I have ever read. Not only is the story itself noteworthy but Jonathan Franklin’s deft handling of the tale is nothing short of exceptional.

I picked this book up for the Popsugar 2018 Challenge. One of the book challenges was to read a book set at sea. I have to admit that I didn’t have any interest reading a book set at sea but when I read the blurb on the back, the book jacket, and the amazing maps on the endsh
Andy Huette
First and foremost, I’m waaaay more prepared to survive should I ever get lost at sea after listening to this captivating audiobook. I still can’t quite believe that this guy lived 438–four HUNDRED and thirty-eight days!—drifting at sea. It’s so astounding I’m pretty sure my wife is ready to ship me out to sea if I don’t stop talking about it.

The guy was kind of a wild man as he typically spent 5-10 days at sea fishing to earn a living, then drink and smoke it away for about 4 days b
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Experienced fisherman Salvador Alvarenga was lost off the coast of Mexico on 17 November 2012, and while many of his colleagues and friends were in disbelief about his disappearance, none could have imagined he would survive 438 days at sea and drift all the way to the Marshall Islands.

438 Days - An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea is a story of extreme survival, at times awe-inspiring and full of hope but also full of desperation, depression and grief.

If you want to k/>438
Jean
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an Amazing story of survival. One November 17, 2012 Salvador Alvarenga age 36 and Ezequiel Cordoba age 22 left Costa Azul Mexico in a 25 foot small boat to fish. A storm blew in and pushed the small boat out into the Pacific Ocean. On January 29, 2014 Alvarenga drifted ashore on Ebon, the southern tip of the Marshall Island chain, almost 7000 miles from where he started. Salvador drifted on the ocean current for 438 days. Garbage drifted by some of which he ate and other he found use for ...more
Carol
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I have always admired someone who lives life so fully and with such passion and I, too, love but also deeply fear the sea. Alvarenga lived a very full life; being a "Sharker" was incredibly hard work fraught with danger and he mixed in quite a free styling party life, too. I saw God's hand throughout this book; testing an amazing man and shaping him into a better man and father.

This was beautifully written and filled with a rich abundance of facts and folklore abou
❆ Crystal ❆
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review for audiobook ~ 4 stars story ♫ 4 stars narration. I enjoyed this story of survival... against all odds. Very enjoyable.
The narration by George Newbern was well done... 4 stars.
Beau
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! Spectacular! A real life, modern-day Papillon story of the sea!
Nancy
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't help but compare this book with Unbroken. Unbroken is an undoubtedly 5 star book. This one is maybe a hair short. Possibly because this story is still being written. The protagonist is still under construction. Undaunted is an incredible story of survival and faith. It is a story of forgiveness and of a changed heart and soul in spite of incredible suffering. This book is about never giving up, no matter how bleak it looks. Never, ever give up.

I haven't been able to stop talk
Donna
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is a nonfiction biography about a man who was stranded at sea for 438 days. He left Mexico for a quick fishing trip with a friend and washed ashore on the Marshall Islands 14 months later. That is crazy.

Since this was a biography, it dealt primarily with the what happened to this man, Salvador Alvarenga, as reported to the author, during his ordeal and what steps he took to stay alive. There was some emotion and despair mentioned but not a lot. I thought it would be encompass that as
Feisty Harriet
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, survival
I really loved/was horrified by this story, it is well written and just so fascinating. Salvador Alvarenga drifted--DRIFTED--across the Pacific for 14 months, no sail, no paddle, no motor, just drifting in a tiny little open fishing boat. This is a real life "Life of Pi" but without the tiger, and it was so interesting. Recommended.
Lisa
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Outside Magazine
Shelves: audio
Fascinating story of a man lost at sea who survives over one year floating. His emotional, physical and mental survival are equally interesting. I particularly loved his continuous desire for tortillas. A great telling of a harrowing survival story.
Michelle
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
An amazing survival story but it wasn't very well written. I'm not impressed by the author.

• A Speck in the Sea: A Story of Survival and Rescue
  • So Close to Home: A True Story of an American Family's Fight for Survival During World War II
  • Dark Waters (The Expedition, #1)
  • When the Dancing Stopped: The Real Story of the Morro Castle Disaster and Its Deadly Wake
  • On the Edge of Survival: A Shipwreck, a Raging Storm, and the Harrowing Alaskan Rescue That Became a Legend
  • The Man Who Ate His Boots: The Tragic History of the Search for the Northwest Passage
  • Women in Blue: 16 Brave Officers, Forensics Experts, Police Chiefs, and More
  • Hero Found: The Greatest POW Escape of the Vietnam War
  • Survive the Savage Sea
  • Close to the Wind
  • Beyond the Deep: Deadly Descent into the World's Most Treacherous Cave
  • 117 Days Adrift
  • Ruthless River: Love and Survival by Raft on the Amazon's Relentless Madre de Dios
  • Alone: The Search for Brett Archibald
  • Until the Sea Shall Free Them: Life, Death and Survival in the Merchant Marine
  • The Ice Balloon: S. A. Andrée and the Heroic Age of Arctic Exploration
  • The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst
  • Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls: True Stories of Castaways and Other Survivors
“[...] what else motivated him to spend hour after hour with me, telling all the details of his story? I quote at length his answer.

"I suffered so much and for so long. Maybe if people read this they will realize that if I can make it,they can make it. Many people suffer only because of what happens in their head; I was also physically being tortured. I had no food. No water. If I can make it so can you. If one depressed person avoids committing suicide then the book is a success.

Be strong. Think positive. If you start to think to the contrary, you are headed to failure. Your mind has to be relaxed as you think about survival. Don't think about death. If you think you are going to die, you will die. You have to survive and think about the future of your life, that life is beautiful! How can you imagine taking your own life? There are challenges and punishment in life but you have to fight!”
7 likes